This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micelle1738

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to SDN, but I have been reading a bunch of threads to gain insight on DIY post-baccs and how to apply it to my situation.

I'm a recent college grad and taking gap years before applying to medical school (I don't have a timeline because I want to feel confident as an applicant before investing money in apps).
My graduating stats are:
cGPA: 3.119 (my school's cGPA was 3.307 but I used an AMCAS gpa calculator since that's the one that counts)
BCPM: 2.991
All other GPA: 3.365

Here's a breakdown of my major classes:
Gchem A/B+/B+ labs: A-/A
Ochem B/C/C labs: B-/A-
Physics B-/C+/D+ (retook got a B) labs: B+/B+
Lower-div bio classes (A-/B+/B-/C- (retook got a B)/ C+
Upper-div bio classes (C-/C+/C/C/A+/A-/A-) upper-div bio labs: B/B-/B+
(I can specify my bio classes if needed, but in general, the better grades of upper-div bio classes were done in senior year as well as the upper-div bio labs)

So here is the overall trend, first year I did okay with taking some lower div bio classes (A-, B+) and gchem classes with lab.
Second year and third year is where my gpa took the biggest toll because I clearly struggled no only with time-management, but also with figuring out how to study. During these two years, I had a part-time job because of financial burdens and was working up to 16 hours a week. My ochem, physics, second half of lower div bio, first half of upper div bio classes were taken.
By of my 4th year, I quit my job and was really determined to make sure my last year I worked the hardest I could to save my GPA before I graduated which is why my second half of upper-div bio classes I did okay and upper div bio lab (except with the B-).

Anyway, I wanted to give a background info rather than just giving a list of grades and asking what to do. I have a lot of research experience, but I am hoping to gain volunteering and shadowing experience (hopefully through being a medical scribe or something). I decided to do a DIY post bacc because of financial strain from pursuing an SMP or official post bacc program. I want to be able to work to pay for classes and so working part-time and still being able to take classes at a local CC is what fits my situation (or at least I think).

Now for the question:
How should I plan out my DIY post bacc?
Should I retake ochem and physics because I didn't do well in those classes, in addition, take upper-div bio classes? Or should I just take as many upper-div bio classes? I thought re-taking pre-req classes would be good in addition to taking some more upper-div bio classes to boost my cGPA and BCPM.
Currently looking for a job for financial support, before taking classes at a CC, and then during this time study and take the MCAT. By then I hope to have a stronger gpa, shadowing experience, volunteering experience, and have taken the MCAT.

Thank you for reading through this lengthy post, any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: