I can't believe this happened!

Started by zuneski
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Angelus9 I get that you're very passionate about this subject, but just to play devil's advocate is there anything at all from those with an opposite point of view than yours that you could understand the reasoning behind?

Sure. I absolutely understand where they're coming from. As people have pointed out, they don't investigate but are taken in by cute pictures of puppies and kittens, and good lord, who ISN'T against animal cruelty?

You forget that to get to where I am now I've already HAD my views modified. I read all the HSUS stuff, I read all the Animal Agenda, Peter Singer, PETA, ALF, all that stuff. Even went to meetings with these groups (not ALF). And because I did that, I most certainly did "modify my point of view." To assume that I sprang to this viewpoint, like Venus from the Sea, is erroneous. I got here by studying both sides and by being actively involved in animal rescue. The truth simply cannot be denied as to what AR means. By the AR's own definitions, not mine.

The FACT that Peter Singer supports bestiality, the FACT that PeTA has been allowed to remove trucks full of dogs from animal shelters "to adopt them out" and then immediately euthanizes all of them in the back of the truck, the FACT that after Katrina HSUS filled dumpster after dumpster with brand new unused dog crates and other supplies donated to them because all HSUS wanted was cash, the FACT of the endless comments by ARs about utterly eliminating domestic animals of all species....yeah, that pretty much changed my mind on where I stood on the AR issue.

It seemed quite logical to me to, before I started calling myself a member of/supporter of, some group or agenda, to maybe actually find out what the group's agenda actually is. Obviously this is a radical concept to some people here. At the very least it's something that never occurred to them to do. And as to that lack of thought and reason, as the song says, I don't find that stuff amusing anymore.
 
Last edited:
There are too many people to even call out for attacking me, including the person that called me a "chickpea".

I was the person who called you chickpea. Whats wrong with that? Pretty much every single animal I work with gets called "chicken" or "chickpea", from dogs and cats to horses and cows, along with a lot of the people I interact with too. Both are delicious, I wouldn't be insulted.

And really, I don't think I attacked you, I think I just pointed out more things you don't appear to have considered on this journey.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, I miss him. He made for great cheap reading, like a poorly written soap opera.

Can I search for Bodiatrist? I want to be entertained!

I've been following this thread because it is rather interesting, and honestly I wasn't very well informed on AR/AW. So thank you everyone!

I've actually decided to bring it up at our next Pre-Vet Club meeting because most of our members are freshman and most likely don't know this distinction. So something good came out of this thread!

Plus the beating a dead horse animation was awesome!
 
Okay, I'll bite. BUT... just read. Don't post. I'm glad these threads died, and I don't want them back on the front page (amusing as it was). :d

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681919
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677098


Thank you twelvetigers!!
That was thoroughly entertaining! I definitely sat here laughing at my computer as my roommates stared at me, convinced i'm going insane:
"why is a foot-person posting in pre-vet? i think im going to go post somthing in the foot-people forum about how many feet are euthanized a year by foot-people." Awesome. Superb. I'm glad he's not around anymore or I would never study. :laugh:
 
During orientaton at the cvm, our first meal was a 'bbq.' I assumed there would be veggie burgers...or at least buns, tomato, and lettuce. Fried chicken, coleslaw and potato salad with unknown ingredients, and baked bean with ham chunks.

First off, this is a complete travesty. Obviously the organizer of said "bbq" was not a resident, nor had really lived in NC. Everyone in NC knows that bbq is pulled pork soaked in a spiced vinegar sauce, the concentration of which depends on the county you are in. (I'm originally from IN where "bbq" is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, but being a AF brat, I quickly embrace my environment.)

Seriously, this post shows a few things. The OP is very naive - the evidence has been beaten to death in the last 4 pages. There are several others in here that fit the description. This seems to be endemic in the US today. It shows the value of emotional propaganda because most people will believe anything you tell them if it is presented with enough emotion because they are too lazy to actually do their own research.

The fact that you took offense to what appears to be a term of endearment in Australia shows that you neither have much experience with foreign cultures, nor do you care to learn about them. In today's world, even in the US, this is unacceptable. As you have seen, being unfamiliar leads to a break down in communications, which in turn incites an inappropriate reaction from you, making you look even more immature.

My recommendation is to first observe, conduct research, and then open your mouth (figuratively speaking) when you wish to spout off about a grievance. You're more likely to have a better reception when your views are backed with facts rather than emotions, especially when your audience is a group of scientifically-minded people.
 
I would not have recognized the use of "chickpea" as a positive term of endearment either...my first impression was that it was being used in a patronizing way. Similar to folks in the south saying "Darlin'...." Sure "Darlin'" is a term of endearment, but it can also be used in a patronizing way. Many folks (myself included) aren't keen on being called "darlin'" in any way, patronizing or genuinely endearing. I don't think that makes the OP unwilling to learn about other cultures. It's a big wide world. There's no way someone can know all the terms of endearment from all the countries...and there's quite a lot of inflection lost through the internet.

All I'm saying is what you said, everyone's jumped all over the OP for 4 pages. Do we really need to start kicking her again?

All I'm saying is that one should not jump to a conclusion prior to some investigation. Everyone here wants to be a veterinarian which requires observation, situational awareness, and much thought. I have never come across this term either, but I noted that the author was from Australia and was likely to use slang terms that are foreign to Americans.
 
i think this thread is drifting far from the original discussion. if you debate on terms of endearment and what's offensive in the states compared to other countries it will be a never ending argument. it's possible that everyone will perceive things differently.

at this point, the moral of this entire thread (both in the AR/AW debate and now what appears to be the use of slang debate)...if you're not educated on a topic, research it. if someone isn't educated on a topic, educate them with respect.

it's easy for things to be taken the wrong way on internet forums. but there's no need to start yet another debate in this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad