Illinois c/o 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we will be hearing back about interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when we will be hearing back about interviews?

Interview (phase III on the website) invites have historically gone out mid-January for mid-February interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just got a rejection email (OOS) saying I did not make it past the initial academic evaluation. I know my GPA is high enough to clear their minimums. Was I cut simply because my GPA was not as competitive as other applicants?

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got a rejection email (OOS) saying I did not make it past the initial academic evaluation. I know my GPA is high enough to clear their minimums. Was I cut simply because my GPA was not as competitive as other applicants?
Same here... so sad. This was my first choice :,(

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Same here... so sad. This was my first choice :,(
I’m a little bummed. It was my second choice after my IS. But I am not too sad because I moved forward in the process for my IS and am waiting to hear if I am accepted or waitlisted...

I believe that they cut people round 1 for not being as competitive of a GPA as others. The minimum GPA is only a 2.75. I think the cutoff point for phase 1 differs each cycle based on the other applicants, so it’s not a published hard cutoff that they follow so someone could get denied one cycle and pass through phase 1 a different cycle even if their GPAs didn’t change

Reactions: 2 users
Is Illinois still doing interviews this round?

Is Illinois still doing interviews this round?
I personally haven’t heard anything about interviews happening or not, but I would think they would still be holding them in some fashion if they haven’t announced that they’re cancelled at this point. My guess is they’d be over zoom/Skype or something vs in person since I don’t think covid is going away anytime soon, but that’s just me speculating.

Students here have to have twice weekly covid tests to even get into the building so I wouldn’t think that they’d allow 500 untested people into the school all at once for interviews.

I personally haven’t heard anything about interviews happening or not, but I would think they would still be holding them in some fashion if they haven’t announced that they’re cancelled at this point. My guess is they’d be over zoom/Skype or something vs in person since I don’t think covid is going away anytime soon, but that’s just me speculating.

Students here have to have twice weekly covid tests to even get into the building so I wouldn’t think that they’d allow 500 untested people into the school all at once for interviews.

Good to know! Thank you!!

Interviews are still happening and will be virtual as far as I've heard.

Wait, I'm confused too, I was selected for an interview last year, but I didn't meet the academic qualifications this year & received a rejection, even though my grades were higher? I'm super confused too. I think I'm going to call Monday for clarification, since I was told in my file review last year that my grades weren't concerning. The only thing I can think of is that without the GRE my academics weren't high enough?

If so...that really, REALLY sucks. I had really high hopes for Illinois this year given my file review last year.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Wait, I'm confused too, I was selected for an interview last year, but I didn't meet the academic qualifications this year & received a rejection, even though my grades were higher? I'm super confused too. I think I'm going to call tomorrow for clarification, since I was told in my file review last year that my grades weren't concerning. The only thing I can think of is that without the GRE my academics weren't high enough?

If so...that really, REALLY sucks. I had really high hopes for Illinois this year given my file review last year.
If you don’t mind me asking, what is your overall GPA? Especially if your grades went up I find it weird that they would reject you so early!

Ah. All of this is concerning, I do not think that my grades are terribly competitive. I was waiting on correspondence from Virginia-Maryland and my email bounced for some reason. I fear that maybe I have also been rejected and I didn't get an email (due to the same issue with VMCVM)? Are any of you who were rejected willing to share your GPAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t mind me asking, what is your overall GPA? Especially if your grades went up I find it weird that they would reject you so early!
My cumulative is around a 3.38 or so, and my science is around a 3.15, so it is admittedly low. I'm thinking more and more that my GRE might have been doing a lot of work for me last year, my GRE was very high (158Q/162V/5.5W). Man, I probably shouldn't have applied this year given the COVID dispensation for GRE scores. Awesome, another way this pandemic is ruining my effing life...

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Wait, I'm confused too, I was selected for an interview last year, but I didn't meet the academic qualifications this year & received a rejection, even though my grades were higher? I'm super confused too. I think I'm going to call Monday for clarification, since I was told in my file review last year that my grades weren't concerning. The only thing I can think of is that without the GRE my academics weren't high enough?

Thats's the same thing that happened to me last year for Midwestern. I was waitlisted for an interview with them last year and this year they rejected me a day after apps were due.

• Sad
My cumulative is around a 3.38 or so, and my science is around a 3.15, so it is admittedly low. I'm thinking more and more that my GRE might have been doing a lot of work for me last year, my GRE was very high (158Q/162V/5.5W). Man, I probably shouldn't have applied this year given the COVID dispensation for GRE scores. Awesome, another way this pandemic is ruining my effing life...

Agreed. This year sucks. I’m so sorry!

I just received an email from Illinois saying that I have advanced to Phase II of the admissions process! I didn't expect them to notify me about this so early but I'm still very excited to hear about this! Hopefully everyone else here is advancing as well!

Reactions: 8 users
I just received an email from Illinois saying that I have advanced to Phase II of the admissions process! I didn't expect them to notify me about this so early but I'm still very excited to hear about this! Hopefully everyone else here is advancing as well!
I got the same email

Reactions: 3 users
Also got the same email! Oos, second time applying, first time at Illinois! Feeling very optimistic this year!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!!
Thank you! I'm sort of panicking because of my OCHEM situation so this doesn't feel very exciting. A positive note is I was able to register online for a wintermester so I will have a replacement grade by the time fall transcripts are due!

Thank you! I'm sort of panicking because of my OCHEM situation so this doesn't feel very exciting. A positive note is I was able to register online for a wintermester so I will have a replacement grade by the time fall transcripts are due!
Keep me posted!

In the email, it says "We hope to have another set of e-mails sent out by mid-January to notify those who will be offered interviews in February 2021, to give you approximately a month to make plans before Interview Day."

Does this mean they're having a central day for on-campus interviews despite the whole COVID situation?

In the email, it says "We hope to have another set of e-mails sent out by mid-January to notify those who will be offered interviews in February 2021, to give you approximately a month to make plans before Interview Day."

Does this mean they're having a central day for on-campus interviews despite the whole COVID situation?
Potentially make plans as in get time off work or school? Illinois is pretty damn strict about COVID testing (every student and faculty is testing twice weekly and needs to show a negative result before entry into a building) so I highly doubt that they would have any in person stuff and risk someone bringing it to our school/VTH.
Bats is also a 4th year (each interview team has a fourth year on it) and works with admissions for tours and such and she’s heard virtual interviews.

got this email too, oos!

Got the same email! So excited !!

Got the same email, I'm OOS!

I got the same email oos :) does anyone know how many people move from phase two to phase three each year? Also to everyone who was rejected please don't lose hope! I was rejected from my top school (k-state) a couple weeks ago, so I know how bad it hurts. Try to keep as positive as you can during this time :))

In our last newsletter from our SAVMA executive board, interviews were stated to be virtual. With how strict U of I is about people on campus having a negative test, I consider interviews being virtual as locked in and not going to change.

Interview is generally a whole day even with your interview, two info sessions (same info, two different times), tours led by student volunteers, and Q+A sessions with current students. How that will be changed virtually has not been released to students.

I got the same email oos :) does anyone know how many people move from phase two to phase three each year? Also to everyone who was rejected please don't lose hope! I was rejected from my top school (k-state) a couple weeks ago, so I know how bad it hurts. Try to keep as positive as you can during this time :))

In general, something like 350 students are interviewed each year. Once you reach phase 3, you will be either accepted or wait listed.

Also got the email about advancing in the process as an OOS applicant! Super excited!

I also got the email! Can someone clarify what link they are talking about? I am assuming they will send it out later? I go to a quarter system university so fall transcripts won't be available until January anyways.

Hi all! I'm a first year at UIUC and happy to help answer any questions y'all have about the school, interview process, curriculum, time management, etc.!

Congrats to all that have made it this far and to those who were denied do not give up hope!

I'm looking to apply for the 2021-2022 cycle. Can anyone explain the "Illinois science GPA" to me? Is that ALL science courses you have ever comppleted? Or just the science courses that will be used for their pre-req requirements?

Hi all! I'm a first year at UIUC and happy to help answer any questions y'all have about the school, interview process, curriculum, time management, etc.!

Congrats to all that have made it this far and to those who were denied do not give up hope!
Would you be able to share more information about their interview process? Is it open or closed file?

I'm looking to apply for the 2021-2022 cycle. Can anyone explain the "Illinois science GPA" to me? Is that ALL science courses you have ever comppleted? Or just the science courses that will be used for their pre-req requirements?
This is definitely an ASA specific question unless someone here has asked. But you might hear from ASA sooner if you email them this week.
Would you be able to share more information about their interview process? Is it open or closed file?
Take this with a grain of salt because we have no info on how interviews are going to be done virtually this year.

Normally, there are 3 people, a faculty/staff member, a 4th year, and an alumni that interview you together. It's specific pre-written group of questions that most people (if not all get) to make it fair across everyone. I'm under the impression it was closed file if I remember correctly from my interview experience. Current students are bound by the honor code to *not* share questions we were asked. But can say just be yourself! We try to be friendly and open if we can be.

This is definitely an ASA specific question unless someone here has asked. But you might hear from ASA sooner if you email them this week.

Take this with a grain of salt because we have no info on how interviews are going to be done virtually this year.

Normally, there are 3 people, a faculty/staff member, a 4th year, and an alumni that interview you together. It's specific pre-written group of questions that most people (if not all get) to make it fair across everyone. I'm under the impression it was closed file if I remember correctly from my interview experience. Current students are bound by the honor code to *not* share questions we were asked. But can say just be yourself! We try to be friendly and open if we can be.
Thank you! That is helpful information!

Hey guys! As we've talked about here, we won't have in person interviews, which means missing out on talking to current students and clinicians about their experiences. The college has created a podcast series about interesting cases seen in the hospital that is aimed at the poor first years missing out on their first year of clinics right meow. They're through The Round Barn podcast and starts with "The Case of the Coughing Tiger". Different clinicians are going to be interviewed on interesting cases and how our hospital goes through them. So if you're trying to see how things roll to a certain extent, that would be a good place to start.

Hey guys! As we've talked about here, we won't have in person interviews, which means missing out on talking to current students and clinicians about their experiences. The college has created a podcast series about interesting cases seen in the hospital that is aimed at the poor first years missing out on their first year of clinics right meow. They're through The Round Barn podcast and starts with "The Case of the Coughing Tiger". Different clinicians are going to be interviewed on interesting cases and how our hospital goes through them. So if you're trying to see how things roll to a certain extent, that would be a good place to start.
Where can I find the podcast series?