Illinois c/o 2025 Hopefuls

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just got pulled off the OOS waitlist today! so excited to meet y'all in the fall :soexcited:
Congrats!
Somewhere earlier in this thread the class Facebook page is posted! Definitely recommend joining so you can get to know some classmates. People also post on there if they’re looking for roomies, if you’re planning on living with people 🙂
 
Congrats!
Somewhere earlier in this thread the class Facebook page is posted! Definitely recommend joining so you can get to know some classmates. People also post on there if they’re looking for roomies, if you’re planning on living with people 🙂
oh thank you!!! I just requested 🙂
congrats!!! can i ask how long they gave you to decide if you wanted your seat?
thanks! they just said "a reasonable amount of time" and to email back when I've sent the letter. not sure how long that'll be but i found out at 5 pm today and I'm sending it out tomorrow morning
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got pulled off the OOS waitlist about 6 hours ago! Got the call at work & just finished lunch break.
Email from the school says "If we do not receive your deposit within a reasonable mailing time, we will offer your seat to another applicant". Any possible someone has an idea how they define "reasonable mailing time" q__q?
 
Got pulled off the OOS waitlist about 6 hours ago! Got the call at work & just finished lunch break.
Email from the school says "If we do not receive your deposit within a reasonable mailing time, we will offer your seat to another applicant". Any possible someone has an idea how they define "reasonable mailing time" q__q?
You could always call/email them and tell them you’re accepting the seat and that your deposit will be put in the mail today/tomorrow/Friday or whenever you’re able to
 
Got pulled off the OOS waitlist about 6 hours ago! Got the call at work & just finished lunch break.
Email from the school says "If we do not receive your deposit within a reasonable mailing time, we will offer your seat to another applicant". Any possible someone has an idea how they define "reasonable mailing time" q__q?
congrats!! will you be accepting your seat?
 
current mood:
Eric Andre GIF
 
Anyone have any housing tips? Areas to avoid? Areas that are great?
There are landlords that rent out of the neighborhood east of the vet school in Urbana that love vet students. One of my beaties lived in one of those houses for years. There is an Illinois vet med free and for sale facebook page where you can get in contact with students that work with these landlords
 
Savoy is a good area to live, Champaign generally south of Springfield is good(basically don’t go north of downtown level), and I’ve heard Urbana west of philo is good.
There are also people who post on the vet med free and for sale page either looking for roommates or posting houses they’re moving out of or other houses their landlords own. Once your class gets a Facebook page set up by ASA (after the deadline) usually first years will start posting on your class page looking for roommates 🙂 sometimes upperclassmen will post on there too with housing available
I posted this earlier on this thread
 
hi all, i fellow incoming first year and I are looking for one more roommate for our 3 bed 2 bath townhome in savoy, we are looking for someone with no pets as we will both be bringing our pups already and there is a 2 pet limit, here’s a link to see the property
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when parking passes are up for grabs?
Usually mid-to-late-July. If you have your UIN and netID, you can call the parking dept and get on waitlists before you have a pass for F27(big lot), F32(little lot across the street but not parallel parking), and F24(hazelwood street parallel parking but closer of a walk than the far end of Lincoln parking). F27 usually has a really long waitlist so the sooner you can get on that the better. F30 (Lincoln parallel parking) is the one with no waitlist that you'll be purchasing when you get your pass to start with.
 
Did not think I'd be writing this but I got called off the list today. I really thought that if I got accepted I would go to Illinois but I literally bought a house in Iowa to attend ISU last week! Sort of bummed but hoping this is the right choice for me! Congrats and I hope everyone has a great first semester!
 
Anyone in here have experience working a small part-time job during the semester? I wasn’t even considering it since school is so rigorous and every vet I’ve ever met warns me to not get a job while in vet school… but after looking at my loans for the upcoming year I’m entertaining the idea. 🥴 All opinions appreciated.
 
Anyone in here have experience working a small part-time job during the semester? I wasn’t even considering it since school is so rigorous and every vet I’ve ever met warns me to not get a job while in vet school… but after looking at my loans for the upcoming year I’m entertaining the idea. 🥴 All opinions appreciated.
I worked multiple jobs within the vet school starting second semester all the way through 4th year. It comes down to priorities and time management.
 
There are usually emails sent out or posts on the free and for sale page about different part time jobs at the VTH (client services, large animal caretakers, clin path and radiology on call, etc) that are definitely good options because they are more understanding than outside places can be about your class and exam schedules. I do know people who did work at local vet clinics though and they were able to make it work with classes and exams. You probably won’t be able to make enough to make a huge dent in your loans, but any bit helps.
 
Anyone in here have experience working a small part-time job during the semester? I wasn’t even considering it since school is so rigorous and every vet I’ve ever met warns me to not get a job while in vet school… but after looking at my loans for the upcoming year I’m entertaining the idea. 🥴 All opinions appreciated.
I worked part-time at the VTH throughout my first year. It’s doable and they are generally very understanding when you need to take a week off to study or take a break. I found it helpful as I was taking what I learned in class and applying it to what I saw in the hospital.
 
Weird question but does vet Med have a spring break? If so do we know when it is, is it usually the same time as undergrad spring break at UIUC? I usually wouldn’t care except I have a friend who is kind enough to to plan her bachelorette party on when I’m off for spring break😅😅
 
Weird question but does vet Med have a spring break? If so do we know when it is, is it usually the same time as undergrad spring break at UIUC? I usually wouldn’t care except I have a friend who is kind enough to to plan her bachelorette party on when I’m off for spring break😅😅
They do! First thru third year you get a spring break and then fourth year you just get your vacation blocks that you schedule. Assuming things are back to normal next year and it’s not cancelled due to covid again, spring break is scheduled March 12-20, 2022.
 
I’m wondering did anyone pay their tuition. I didn’t see any payment due on my UI-pay. Did I miss the deadline for it????
 
I’m wondering did anyone pay their tuition. I didn’t see any payment due on my UI-pay. Did I miss the deadline for it????
Tuition isn’t due until September! I believe it’s the 28th? You won’t see any charges on your UI-pay until sometime in august. You *can* sign up for a payment plan earlier I believe but if you’re paying with loans you don’t need to do that. Payment plans really are only useful if you’re paying out of pocket and want to spread out the money.
 
ma jin
Tuition isn’t due until September! I believe it’s the 28th? You won’t see any charges on your UI-pay until sometime in august. You *can* sign up for a payment plan earlier I believe but if you’re paying with loans you don’t need to do that. Payment plans really are only useful if you’re paying out of pocket and want to spread out the money.
thank you so much!!!
 
Does it make more sense to buy a stethoscope when the Littmann rep comes to campus or from an on-line retailer? When will we need to start using them? And does anyone know what the difference is between the "veterinary" stethoscope and the classic model?
 
The prices were a bit cheaper on Amazon iirc but I ordered from the rep because they were so helpful for me because I have small ear canals and couldn't get a good seal so they spent extra time with me and found me the smaller ear tips and even gave me an extra set so I’d have two like everyone else gets from them. If I hadn’t had a bunch of issues I would’ve just ordered from Amazon for mine. It wasn’t a huge price difference, but when you’re spending $100-200, even $10 makes a difference. I got the classic iii and it does fine for me. Most everyone else in my class has a cardio iv but some have different littmann models or completely different brands.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad