Illinois c/o 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my peeps applying to Illinois!! @SportPonies, @MyDogsAreBarking, and I are current 4th years. @SkiOtter is a 3rd year. Then there are some 2nd and newly minted 1st years floating around as well. Let us know if you have any questions!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm here! Doing it again! I fell in love w/ UIUC during my interview trip this past year, it's high on my list again for this year! OOS non-trad applicant, 2nd time applying!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm here! Doing it again! I fell in love w/ UIUC during my interview trip this past year, it's high on my list again for this year! OOS non-trad applicant, 2nd time applying!
Crossing my fingers for you!!! 2nd time was the charm for me at Illinois!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi ! I am also re-applying ! I also fell in love with UIUC ! Have high hopes this year !

• Love

I hope we get in this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi ! I am also re-applying ! I also fell in love with UIUC ! Have high hopes this year !

Did I get to meet either of you? I had the obnoxiously orange coffee mug!

• Haha
Crossing my fingers for you!!! 2nd time was the charm for me at Illinois!
Thank you so much! Your & batsenecals posts have made me so excited about UIUC, so I’m hoping it works out this year!

• Love
Did I get to meet either of you? I had the obnoxiously orange coffee mug!
I didn’t formally introduce myself, but yeah I saw you for a little bit, I was the one who asked about how you liked the exam schedule :)

OOS 1st time applying! :) so excited to be applying to Illinois!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm always the one on here with the silly questions, so I'll kick it off on the right foot here on this thread :laugh:.
I apologize if the answers are so blatantly obvious! So I noticed with some schools, on VMCAS, there is a tab where you select the courses to satisfy the pre-requisites for the program. With Illinois, this tab is not there, and I could not find where to do this with Illinois. Is this because they select the courses rather than us selecting them? Or is there a different area to do this that I haven't found?

Thanks in advance! :)

I feel like I'm always the one on here with the silly questions, so I'll kick it off on the right foot here on this thread :laugh:.
I apologize if the answers are so blatantly obvious! So I noticed with some schools, on VMCAS, there is a tab where you select the courses to satisfy the pre-requisites for the program. With Illinois, this tab is not there, and I could not find where to do this with Illinois. Is this because they select the courses rather than us selecting them? Or is there a different area to do this that I haven't found?

Thanks in advance! :)
It’s potentially because they have two “plans” for prereqs, depending on if you’ll have completed a bachelors or not by matriculation. You could definitely email ASA and double check though :)

I was originally on imaging and planning on helping. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to now :confused:

What are you supposed to be on (currently)?

Off campus free elective or equine surgery. That FE is totally wrong, but I bet I can help and get out of equine surg that day thinking about it

I'm planning on applying to Illinois OOS this year! Can anyone speak about the poultry medicine opportunities there? I'm thinking most of my poultry experience regardless of where I go will be mainly with externships and a masters after getting a DVM, but I'm trying to apply to places with either some poultry-specific courses or a strong basis in avian medicine in general.

I'm planning on applying to Illinois OOS this year! Can anyone speak about the poultry medicine opportunities there? I'm thinking most of my poultry experience regardless of where I go will be mainly with externships and a masters after getting a DVM, but I'm trying to apply to places with either some poultry-specific courses or a strong basis in avian medicine in general.

Hi! For poultry medicine specifically, it kinda depends on if you mean commercial or backyard poultry. Our exotics companion animal department sees the backyard poultry cases. we dont necessarily see huge commercial operations cause most have vets on contract/staff. However, our main public health professor is a commercial poultry vet and I would imagine would love to get you in touch with facilities that do externships and such. Those would fit in for breaks or 4th year (you'd be able to fit in 5 blocks/10 weeks without using any vacation time). The peeps that do swine medicine are in a similar position and they find places pretty frequently through networking with faculty.

As far as actual lectures go, we do have some poultry specific lectures, with 2nd and 3rd year coming to mind between pathology classes and disease treatment. We dont have any poultry specific electives. The backyard poultry are wrapped up into our avian medicine and surgery elective and the commercial operations are wrapped up in the FARMS electives. We have decent avian stuff in general between ZCAMS and FARMS. In addition to our commercial poultry clinician, we have a ABVP-avian boarded clinician in ZCAMS.

Hey there fellow hopefuls,

I was wondering how you guys have been approaching the COVID-19 essay for Illinois this year? Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this? I've been putting it off all summer but I'm at the point where I can't let it sit on the back burner any longer lol

Hey there fellow hopefuls,

I was wondering how you guys have been approaching the COVID-19 essay for Illinois this year? Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this? I've been putting it off all summer but I'm at the point where I can't let it sit on the back burner any longer lol

I treated it like a short research paper. Mine was on PRRSV, so I looked up what it was and how it affected the swine industry. Then answered the prompt with a bibliography at the end

I treated it like a short research paper. Mine was on PRRSV, so I looked up what it was and how it affected the swine industry. Then answered the prompt with a bibliography at the end
How did you manage to add the bibliographies? I am having trouble, as they are a lot !

I just copy pasted my works cited/bibliography page at the end of my essay. They allow 10k characters so you shouldn’t run into space issues in general

I tried, but my characters just let me get to the D of my bibliographies

I tried cutting as much as I could from the essay, and still

I know this may sound dumb, but are all of the bibliographies necessary? I cited within the essay, but I always like to add the references. However, due to the lack of space and the prompt does not clarify this, I do not really know if adding all of the bibliographies is necessary. It is the only thing keeping me from finally submitting my application

I know this may sound dumb, but are all of the bibliographies necessary? I cited within the essay, but I always like to add the references. However, due to the lack of space and the prompt does not clarify this, I do not really know if adding all of the bibliographies is necessary. It is the only thing keeping me from finally submitting my application
If you cited within the essay you probably are okay since you don’t have enough space. They basically want to make sure that you can write a cohesive research report (essentially) and give credit where it’s needed.

I personally added references and did in-text citations.

Does anyone know if interviews have been moved online for this cycle? I haven't seen any updates in regards to this, but I know other schools have moved their interview dates online.

Does anyone know if interviews have been moved online for this cycle? I haven't seen any updates in regards to this, but I know other schools have moved their interview dates online.

From what I can tell on their website, they haven’t changed any info about interviews from previous cycles. I know some schools are waiting to decide on interview format because of covid so maybe they are just waiting to see how it pans out this fall?

Keep in mind our interviews are mid-February and invites dont go out till January. So that's a lot of time to plan it out.

Reactions: 2 users
There's no way to take out a few sentences to have room for your references? I wouldn't skip that - I would try to cut out some portion of your essay to add them. The point of the 10000 character limit is to easily allow for that. I would have someone else look at your essay so they can objectively tell you where to cut things - I had both a veterinarian and my friend in a PhD program read mine, they were great on helping to cut down.

There's no way to take out a few sentences to have room for your references? I wouldn't skip that - I would try to cut out some portion of your essay to add them. The point of the 10000 character limit is to easily allow for that. I would have someone else look at your essay so they can objectively tell you where to cut things - I had both a veterinarian and my friend in a PhD program read mine, they were great on helping to cut down.

I am doing my best to cut as much as possible without loosing sense of the sentences

Hi everyone! I'm OOS first time applicant, looking forward to hearing back from Illinois!

• Love
Hello everyone! I'm an OOS applicant applying for the second time but applying to Illinois (top OOS choice if rejected by IS) for the first time. My VMCAS application was verified three weeks ago and I've received a verification emails from several schools except Illinois. Do they send out an email to verify my application? Also, after paying the processing fee, are there any other supplemental apps that we need to fill out besides the ones from VMCAS? Thank you!

Hello everyone! I'm an OOS applicant applying for the second time but applying to Illinois (top OOS choice if rejected by IS) for the first time. My VMCAS application was verified three weeks ago and I've received a verification emails from several schools except Illinois. Do they send out an email to verify my application? Also, after paying the processing fee, are there any other supplemental apps that we need to fill out besides the ones from VMCAS? Thank you!
Nope, you don’t hear anything from Illinois until sometime in December when they let people know if they made it past phase 1 or not. And there’s nothing other than just VMCAS and pay the processing fee directly to the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, you don’t hear anything from Illinois until sometime in December when they let people know if they made it past phase 1 or not. And there’s nothing other than just VMCAS and pay the processing fee directly to the school.
Thank you! I really do hope that I make it past phase 1. Not sure if I'll be able to wait until December or January but I'll do my best to stay patient.

Thank you! I really do hope that I make it past phase 1. Not sure if I'll be able to wait until December or January but I'll do my best to stay patient.
The waiting game is by far the worst. This is my second year applying so I'm in the same boat. Take this time to do the things you enjoy (spooky stuff for me ) and the time will fly by!

Good to know! I'm dying in the waiting game >w<

A couple of my friends received denials today on the basis of not meeting the requirements for phase 1. Not sure what this means for the rest of us.

A couple of my friends received denials today on the basis of not meeting the requirements for phase 1. Not sure what this means for the rest of us.

Oh! That is helpful. This whole process is so stressful and emotionally exhausting, I am constantly checking my email.

Does anyone happen to know if Illinois considers last 45 GPA?