I'm doing horrible this semester... Should I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsJazz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current GPA sits at a good 3.28, SGPA 3.25. I did an internship at a dental office for a semester and currently hold an officer position in 2 organizations. I also work. Have over the minimum 100 hours for both shadowing & volunteering hours.

I honestly don't think I'll get an A in any of my classes this semester, so my GPA is definitely going to tank a little bit. Taking 3 science courses right now, so SGPA is going to tank, too. I'm planning to take the DAT this summer. Best course of action is that I don't get lower than a C on any of my classes (one of which feels like a big stretch), and get a stellar DAT score to make up for my subpar GPA. The thing that bothers me the most is the trend of my GPA. I've had an upward trend for the past 3 semesters, but this semester is going to completely mess that up, so I'm sure admissions is going to look negatively at that. At the very least, it'll raise some inquiring eyebrows. On top of that, my GPA isn't the most competitive as it is already, so with it tanking however many points it will at the end of this semester, I'll be even less competitive.

I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle, but with how I'm doing this semester, I honestly don't know if I should skip out and do a 1-year master's or post-bacc.

Not URM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current GPA sits at a good 3.28, SGPA 3.25. I did an internship at a dental office for a semester and currently hold an officer position in 2 organizations. I also work. Have over the minimum 100 hours for both shadowing & volunteering hours.

I honestly don't think I'll get an A in any of my classes this semester, so my GPA is definitely going to tank a little bit. Taking 3 science courses right now, so SGPA is going to tank, too. I'm planning to take the DAT this summer. Best course of action is that I don't get lower than a C on any of my classes (one of which feels like a big stretch), and get a stellar DAT score to make up for my subpar GPA. The thing that bothers me the most is the trend of my GPA. I've had an upward trend for the past 3 semesters, but this semester is going to completely mess that up, so I'm sure admissions is going to look negatively at that. At the very least, it'll raise some inquiring eyebrows. On top of that, my GPA isn't the most competitive as it is already, so with it tanking however many points it will at the end of this semester, I'll be even less competitive.

I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle, but with how I'm doing this semester, I honestly don't know if I should skip out and do a 1-year master's or post-bacc.

Not URM

Do your best and finish strong this semester! Your focus after that should be the DAT. Treat it like a full time job and prepare thoroughly. If your AA and TS are 20+, you will have a chance. Apply early and broadly! Best of luck!