IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just my two cents on the yog vs step scores debate (clearly, I have a lot of time on my hands) -

I graduated last year and I am stuck on 1 IV. I got that in September, and October for me has been quiet apart from 3 rejections.
People with step scores similar to mine and YOG before mine have more IVs than I do.
I did apply a little late - finished applying everywhere by 20th - Maybe that's a factor? I am not sure. Maybe there is something else in my application that's problematic? I don't know.
But what I have noticed is that the majority of invites until now are going to people with 250+/240+ and to those with green cards/non-visa requiring.
I think the preference of YOG vs Step scores is variable from program to program, but I do feel that the majority consider Step scores more than any other factor (apart from not requiring visa). There are some that have strict YOG cut-offs, but they usually say so on their websites.
The only way to get an idea of what is being considered is to compare stats with those who have received an IV and even then, you can't know for sure what's the variable that's holding you back. Unless we cross over on the other side, I don't think we can say that this is what's important and this isn't.
I also think luck is important in this process, except in case of people with excellent credentials who are getting lots of Ivs (many on this thread - congrats guys, you deserve it!).

Anyways, my inbox has been deadly silent and I am very close to losing my ****.
Maybe my application has vanished into thin air, maybe they don't like my face. Who knows :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just my two cents on the yog vs step scores debate (clearly, I have a lot of time on my hands) -

I graduated last year and I am stuck on 1 IV. I got that in September, and October for me has been quiet apart from 3 rejections.
People with step scores similar to mine and YOG before mine have more IVs than I do.
I did apply a little late - finished applying everywhere by 20th - Maybe that's a factor? I am not sure. Maybe there is something else in my application that's problematic? I don't know.
But what I have noticed is that the majority of invites until now are going to people with 250+/240+ and to those with green cards/non-visa requiring.
I think the preference of YOG vs Step scores is variable from program to program, but I do feel that the majority consider Step scores more than any other factor (apart from not requiring visa). There are some that have strict YOG cut-offs, but they usually say so on their websites.
The only way to get an idea of what is being considered is to compare stats with those who have received an IV and even then, you can't know for sure what's the variable that's holding you back. Unless we cross over on the other side, I don't think we can say that this is what's important and this isn't.
I also think luck is important in this process, except in case of people with excellent credentials who are getting lots of Ivs (many on this thread - congrats guys, you deserve it!).

Anyways, my inbox has been deadly silent and I am very close to losing my ****.
Maybe my application has vanished into thin air, maybe they don't like my face. Who knows :shrug:
That is a nice analysis. I think it makes sense the first wave of invites goes to those with high scores. On that note, I know Albert Einstein (PA) replied to me earlier this week, saying there is a second wave in late October, when people cancel their interviews. Perhaps this is when other applicants get looked at. I don't think its possible to review all the applications in one go. Some residents where I am doing a Sub I say it is still fairly early.
Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
That is a nice analysis. I think it makes sense the first wave of invites goes to those with high scores. On that note, I know Albert Einstein (PA) replied to me earlier this week, saying there is a second wave in late October, when people cancel their interviews. Perhaps this is when other applicants get looked at. I don't think its possible to review all the applications in one go. Some residents where I am doing a Sub I say it is still fairly early.

Ah that's good to hear, I am planning on sending them (Einstein, PA) an LOI between 17-20th October. Do you think maybe I should try to reach out earlier so that my app can be looked at during that second wave? or is that time alright?

Reactions: 1 user
Ah that's good to hear, I am planning on sending them (Einstein, PA) an LOI between 17-20th October. Do you think maybe I should try to reach out earlier so that my app can be looked at during that second wave? or is that time alright?
I really don't know to be honest. I don't think it hurts to send an LOI next week Monday. You could send it now too :)

I sent them a LOI and they didn’t reply lol

I have been holding off on sending LOIs as per the advice given on the PC/PD thread. I guess I'll probably start sending them out next week.

I have been holding off on sending LOIs as per the advice given on the PC/PD thread. I guess I'll probably start sending them out next week.
Personally I do agree with this. I should clarify a little, I mainly sent the LOIs to programs where I was completing a sub I rotation or if I was very very interested in the program and had family ties. Because my fourth year rotations are not part of the MSPEs, so they would have no way of knowing. Not very many so far.

I sent them a LOI and they didn’t reply lol
I do think they are swamped, but I doubt they would reply to you any different than they would to me. Perhaps they had different staff that saw my email.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This week ended on a high.
+4 Salem

Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t even schedule. Didn't find anything decisive online about the program. You can always go there and find out on IV day
did you check with them about visa? are they sponsor H1? it seems very difficult to contact with them.

Last edited:
That’s Friday-night in Oklahoma for you :lol::lol:

Last edited:
OMG guys I received an email right now from Yale saying that I am on the waitlist! I'm speechless right now. I am crossing my fingers they send me an invite! They sent the following:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Yale Traditional Internal Medicine Residency. You have exceptional credentials, but due to a surge in applications this year, we have more qualified applicants than we can invite at this time. We've placed your name on a waiting list and will do our best to offer you an interview within the next few weeks if vacancies arise.

We know the interview process involves a great deal of travel and planning and thank you for your patience. If you would like to remain on the waiting list, please let us know within the next two weeks. Although you are under no obligation to do so, please feel free to let us know if there are specific factors you'd like us to consider when we return to your application in the weeks ahead.

Should I reply immediately that I want to remain on the waiting list or should I wait for a few days?? I don't even know what to answer I'm tachycardic right now lol

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
OMG guys I received an email right now from Yale saying that I am on the waitlist! I'm speechless right now. I am crossing my fingers they send me an invite! They sent the following:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Yale Traditional Internal Medicine Residency. You have exceptional credentials, but due to a surge in applications this year, we have more qualified applicants than we can invite at this time. We've placed your name on a waiting list and will do our best to offer you an interview within the next few weeks if vacancies arise.

We know the interview process involves a great deal of travel and planning and thank you for your patience. If you would like to remain on the waiting list, please let us know within the next two weeks. Although you are under no obligation to do so, please feel free to let us know if there are specific factors you'd like us to consider when we return to your application in the weeks ahead.

Should I reply immediately that I want to remain on the waiting list or should I wait for a few days?? I don't even know what to answer I'm tachycardic right now lol
Wowowow so happy for you!

• Love
Wowowow so happy for you!

Thank you so much! I can't believe it I am a repeat applicant and this is my last shot! Hopefully they send me an IV! I am not sure how common is to receive an IV when you are on the waitlist??

Thank you so much! I can't believe it I am a repeat applicant and this is my last shot! Hopefully they send me an IV! I am not sure how common is to receive an IV when you are on the waitlist??
Cant answer that cuz this is my first time lol. But waitlist is a pretty big deal too especially for a mammoth like yale! They must be really impressed by you

Cant answer that cuz this is my first time lol. But waitlist is a pretty big deal too especially for a mammoth like yale! They must be really impressed by you

Thank you so much, this gave me hope! :)

I have a question. It isn't related to match 2020. if I don't match this year,most of the people say that they are going to change score system to pass/fail.incase, if they are going change , am I going to lose my scores in match 2021? how they are going to filter us?

I have a question. It isn't related to match 2020. if I don't match this year,most of the people say that they are going to change score system to pass/fail.incase, if they are going change , am I going to lose my scores priority match 2021? how they are going to filter us?
Dude... there's really a whole lot of "IFs" to answer that. Just focus on what is ahead of you right now and forget about that. Focus on getting a residency position for 2020. IN CASE YOU DON'T, then start worrying about that.

I have a question. It isn't related to match 2020. if I don't match this year,most of the people say that they are going to change score system to pass/fail.incase, if they are going change , am I going to lose my scores in match 2021? how they are going to filter us?
I would imagine your score report would remain unchanged; and since it’s on your ECFMG certification then it would be pretty set in stone. If your scores are good and visible to the program, might be an advantage for you if everyone else only has pass/fail.? No way to know for sure though. (This is all speculation btw, I have no evidence to support any of this but just my thoughts)

Dude... there's really a whole lot of "IFs" to answer that. Just focus on what is ahead of you right now and forget about that. Focus on getting a residency position for 2020. IN CASE YOU DON'T, then start worrying about that.
Thank you

I would imagine your score report would remain unchanged; and since it’s on your ECFMG certification then it would be pretty set in stone. If your scores are good and visible to the program, might be an advantage for you if everyone else only has pass/fail.? No way to know for sure though. (This is all speculation btw, I have no evidence to support any of this but just my thoughts)

thank you

Dear Applicant,

WOW! I hope they grant you an IV!! Did you reach out to the program?

• Love
received two IVs last night after going to sleep (there's a big time difference), I guess that works better than staring at your inbox? :D

+1 St Elizabeth's (Brighton MA)
+1 Pennsylvania Hospital (Philadelphia)

Hope everybody can enjoy their weekend and un-glue their fingers from the "refresh-inbox" button :)

Reactions: 7 users
received an Interventional Radiology invitation. I am so happy and proud of myself.
here it comes my No.1 rank on my list.
and screw all those who said, there is no place of IMGs in radiology residency

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
received an Interventional Radiology invitation. I am so happy and proud of myself.
here it comes my No.1 rank on my list.
and screw all those who said, there is no place of IMGs in radiology residency
Wow congrats ! That’s fantastic

Wow congrats ! That’s fantastic
thank you man.
I just wanted to let ppl know, that there is a chance. and, please do not listen to those who discourage you. i heard to many saying my YOG is fatal.
and i have no chance in University programs.
currently, I am at 10+ IVs mainly IM couple FM and 1 IR.i had no connections

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Dear Applicant,

This is where you should reply to them ASAP... and let them know specifics of why you want to be there... and not just because...YALE!!

So I haven't received any IVs for a whole week now and I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my MSPE

So I haven't received any IVs for a whole week now and I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my MSPE
Many programs will start sending updates on our applications on the 15th. I believe from next week onwards this forum will boil.

Reactions: 4 users
received two IVs last night after going to sleep (there's a big time difference), I guess that works better than staring at your inbox? :D

+1 St Elizabeth's (Brighton MA)
+1 Pennsylvania Hospital (Philadelphia)

Hope everybody can enjoy their weekend and un-glue their fingers from the "refresh-inbox" button :)

St E’s is a very good program in Boston, affiliated to tufts university. The residents are very nice, the leadership as well. And the training is very good too! Congrats on that interview! I interviewed there lat year, let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
I really don't mean to be rude, but what do expect to hear? Answers can range from "You have good chances, don't worry" to "Well, you're screwed, try again next year". We are all on the same boat, my friend. The best answer for your questions (ie, statistics) can be found in the NRMP charting outcomes for IMGs 2018. Don't take people's advice on SDN as a guide to you (including my comment).

For some reason this rumor about changing to pass fail goes around every year as well as rumors about cs changing to a score system haha but still no change.

Unless you see something official from usmle don’t worry (you can check their website too, it would be under announcements).