IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is no proven performanceometer for interview (hopefully we will build one in the future to reduce anxiety of candidates when we become PDs some time soon) but the rule of thumb says you did well if you:
1. prepared
2. understood and answered each questions with confidence
3. Acted properly the whole time you were at IV
4. Didn't get choked while answering

I am sure you have done well on the interviews you've completed already. If you have more coming up reflect on your weakness and try to fix that (more preparation). Regardless of how well you did don't, just learn and move forward. Anxiety will only lead to more screw up. I know it's not easy but try to meditate and live in the present (prepare for the rest. Study for step 3, perfect your follow up notes (thank you or intention to rank them high......

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much.
You're most welcome!
BTW, I don't know anyone who came out saying I nailed it. Know that we are all in the same boat. OCD is just our thing. Our profession is all about perfection and that sometimes makes us question about how bad we did not how good we did. Believe in yourself. You always did more than you gave yourself a credit for. I bet you did better than you thought on all your steps. Same applies here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone interviewed at Alameda Health/Highland Hospital? Any insight on the interview day and how the program is?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if memorial health Florida still has interview dates available? Also, any interview insights on San Ysidro Health, San Diego?

Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center rejection

IM residency is 3 years, on J1 your option is either come back to Canada or do J1 waiver but coming back to Canada isn’t easy either because IM training is 4 years in Canada

This is incorrect. In Ontario, you can do 3 years IM in the US and then return to Ontario and work "under supervision" (which is very light meaning meeting a supervisor for 20 mins one time per month. After 2 years you can have an assessment done to certify your US training.

A J1 visa will give you many more options.

This is incorrect. In Ontario, you can do 3 years IM in the US and then return to Ontario and work "under supervision" (which is very light meaning meeting a supervisor for 20 mins one time per month. After 2 years you can have an assessment done to certify your US training.

Thanks for the info , Can you plez let us know what are other options available for Canadians when they finish 3 years of im residency.

How easy is it to find supervision? It’s not a very clearly laid out process.

You're most welcome!
BTW, I don't know anyone who came out saying I nailed it. Know that we are all in the same boat. OCD is just our thing. Our profession is all about perfection but and that sometimes makes as question about how bad we did not how good we did. Believe in yourself. You always did more than you gave yourself a credit for. I bet you did better than you thought on all your steps. Same applies here.

What dose it mean when they say keep us in your thoughts. ??

How easy is it to find supervision? It’s not a very clearly laid out process.

Not hard to find. Your supervisor will need to be FRCPC and have 5 years working experience. If you live in a city, you'll be able to find someone. Supervisors are often given a small percentage of your pay cheque (3% where I worked) as an incentive.

Thanks for the info , Can you plez let us know what are other options available for Canadians when they finish 3 years of im residency.

You can do a fellowship. One year in palliative care or geriatrics will satisfy the fourth year requirement and then you can write the Royal College exam. If you want to be a general IM doctor, this is obviously the longer and more difficult route. The Royal College exam is a poorly designed exam and you will need resources from Canadian residents in order to pass it. Do not under any circumstance take this test without those resources. You'll almost certainly fail. It is nothing like the ABIM. ABIM is much more straightforward.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
going back to Oh Canada sounds like too much work. I’m just gonn chill in the US of A.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any information regarding Mount Sinai hospital in Chicago? Like how is the program and are there any downsides. Any kind of information is highly appreciated. I have been offered a position there, but I am very uncertain about my decision. Please help me with your inputs. Thank you so much!

+9 interview University of Arizona. Anyone knows if they take IMGs for IM.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any information regarding Mount Sinai hospital in Chicago? Like how is the program and are there any downsides. Any kind of information is highly appreciated. I have been offered a position there, but I am very uncertain about my decision. Please help me with your inputs. Thank you so much!
can anyone please help me with this as I have to tell them by tomorrow. Thanks a lot

can anyone please help me with this as I have to tell them by tomorrow. Thanks a lot
Area is not good at all. As for the program, someone mentioned on this thread before that there may be financial changes. They have already closed their peds residency and also some changes to Obgyn. If you have more options then i would pass on this.

Area is not good at all. As for the program, someone mentioned on this thread before that there may be financial changes. They have already closed their peds residency and also some changes to Obgyn. If you have more options then i would pass on this.
I have a good number of interviews and few university programs. I do not want to regret my decision after accepting the offer and leaving some very good options. So, I just want to make sure I am taking a right decision. How many more options do you think is a safe bet to pass on this offer? Thank you for your reply.

I have a good number of interviews and few university programs. I do not want to regret my decision after accepting the offer and leaving some very good options. So, I just want to make sure I am taking a right decision. How many more options do you think is a safe bet to pass on this offer? Thank you for your reply.
Honestly it is very hard to say the number needed. I know people who matched with just 1 interview. I think you really need to think of pros and cons and how you feel you did and will do in other interviews. It sounds like you are in a good position as you have university interviews as well. It is a gamble but looks like you will be fine for match if you have decent interviews and feel good post interview

+9 interview University of Arizona. Anyone knows if they take IMGs for IM.

congrats! Tucson main, Tucson South campus, or Phoenix? I have an interview in Phoneix and can tell you about it since I obsershipped there. Overall Phoenix is very IMG unfriendly, Tuscon main is somewhat IMG unfriendly, and South Campus is quite IMG friendly.

Last edited:
Honestly it is very hard to say the number needed. I know people who matched with just 1 interview. I think you really need to think of pros and cons and how you feel you did and will do in other interviews. It sounds like you are in a good position as you have university interviews as well. It is a gamble but looks like you will be fine for match if you have decent interviews and feel good post interview
I would just say to be careful about post-interview feeling. It may be just like USMLE, where you think you bombed but at the end of the day you did a good job and people liked you more than you think. So I don't believe you should make such a decision based on that.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Any suggestions on lodging at DC? Need a safe place which is close to both IAD and the medstar hospital centre.
thanks!

guys, is it ok to say you would like to do fellowship later during interviews? I got some negative vibes when I said it during some iv's

guys, is it ok to say you would like to do fellowship later during interviews? I got some negative vibes when I said it during some iv's

Expressing future plans at community hospitals that are weak in research/no in-house fellowships/don't have a high fellowship match rate;

Don't
: Mention fellowship interest.

Don't: Mention research interest or ask questions about research opportunities.

Do: Mention interest in being a general internist (hospitalist or PCP) in these programs. If it's a PC track then say you wanna be a PCP. Also if possible explain why you wanna be a generalist (you love variety, you love coordinating care and collaborating with multiple providers etc.)

Do: Mention wanting to stay in the area after graduating. (Note: if the program is in a rural town, they might think you're being dishonest, so be more convincing, mention the reasons why you wanna practice in the area after residency.)

Do: Mention your interest in helping underserved communities if it fits the program’s mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

You can look at the NRMP match data for imgs (you can easily find it searching those words). It’s the closest we have to an objective answer. The average IM interview number for matched applicants was about 7 or 8 in 2018.

To my opinion stay true to what you want, unless you want to downgrade yourself and get a program you don't deserve.

I recently interviewed at a so called university affiliated hospital and the PD got pissed when I asked about research opportunities(I have a strong research background). For me this was a dealbreaker and a reason to avoid the program.

Deciding to pursue a residency here does not mean that we lack dignity and we should get whatever gets thrown at us, pretending to like programs that will not serve our goals and try to fit in.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
To my opinion stay true to what you want, unless you want to downgrade yourself and get a program you don't deserve.

I recently interviewed at a so called university affiliated hospital and the PD got pissed when I asked about research opportunities(I have a strong research background). For me this was a dealbreaker and a reason to avoid the program.

Deciding to pursue a residency here does not mean that we lack dignity and we should get whatever gets thrown at us, pretending to like programs that will not serve our goals and try to fit in.
Amen to that!!

If you guys wanna stay true to yourself and be real about your future goals, I can respect that. If you have lots of interviews, you can afford to be choosy. However, it doesn't make sense to me to accept an interview and spend the money/time/energy to interview at a program and tell them about your fellowship goals if you knew from before they are not fellowship/research-oriented and prefer producing general internists as graduates. If you applied there as backup, why not just lie about your future goals there so they can remain as your backup. Otherwise, they will rank you low on their ROL or maybe even put you on their DNR list because you're not a good fit for them, and then you just wasted time/money/energy interviewing there. If you learned about the program's preferences/limitations afterward during the interview day, that's a different story of course, we don't always know what a program is looking for until it's too late.

If a program isn't a good fit for you and you don't want them even as your backup, and would rather reapply next year than end up at that program, don't rank them lol. But as long as you're planning on ranking a program as a backup, you need to maximize your chances of matching there (which includes lying about your goals, lying is maybe not the most gentle of a word to use, how about not emphasizing your interest in becoming an interventional-structural-vascular cardiologist.)

Also, just because a program doesn't like applicants who want to subspecialize doesn't automatically mean you have to kiss your fellowship good-bye if you match there. You can lie about your future goals, match there, then work hard for that fellowship, grab whatever research opportunities you can find, publish some case-reports, present and network at conferences, try to find subspecialty mentors at the hospital etc. The Wright Center for ex. only has a PC track for IM and is looking for applicants interested in IM primary care, but they have like 3-4 in-house fellowships and their IM-PC residents are matching in those subspecialties.

Unfortunately, the match is tough, some of us are having very few interviews, we know we're worth more than what we're getting, but when there's no better option on the table, you grab what you can get, you take option#1 because there is no option#2.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
If you guys wanna stay true to yourself and be real about your future goals, I can respect that. If you have lots of interviews, you can afford to be choosy. However, it doesn't make sense to me to accept an interview and spend the money/time/energy to interview at a program and tell them about your fellowship goals if you knew from before they are not fellowship/research-oriented and prefer producing general internists as graduates. If you applied there as backup, why not just lie about your future goals there so they can remain as your backup. Otherwise, they will rank you low on their ROL or maybe even put you on their DNR list because you're not a good fit for them, and then you just wasted time/money/energy interviewing there. If you learned about the program's preferences/limitations afterward during the interview day, that's a different story of course, we don't always know what a program is looking for until it's too late.

If a program isn't a good fit for you and you don't want them even as your backup, and would rather reapply next year than end up at that program, don't rank them lol. But as long as you're planning on ranking a program as a backup, you need to maximize your chances of matching there (which includes lying about your goals, lying is maybe not the most gentle of a word to use, how about not emphasizing your interest in becoming an interventional-structural-vascular cardiologist.)

Also, just because a program doesn't like applicants who want to subspecialize doesn't automatically mean you have to kiss your fellowship good-bye if you match there. You can lie about your future goals, match there, then work hard for that fellowship, grab whatever research opportunities you can find, publish some case-reports, present and network at conferences, try to find subspecialty mentors at the hospital etc. The Wright Center for ex. only has a PC track for IM and is looking for applicants interested in IM primary care, but they have like 3-4 in-house fellowships and their IM-PC residents are matching in those subspecialties.

Unfortunately, the match is tough, some of us are having very few interviews, we know we're worth more than what we're getting, but when there's no better option on the table, you grab what you can get, you take option#1 because there is no option#2.

I am not sure if mentioning about fellowship is a bad thing. I’ve interviewed at a few small community programs and everyone of them proudly mention about their residents getting into fellowships (even though very few and not the most competitive). Many programs would be happy if their residents get into fellowship so if you have a strong research background I would suggest mentioning about your fellowship interests as it’s almost guaranteed that you will get into one because of your research. After all most candidates rate programs based on their fellowship matches and programs would love to have a better reputation.

On the other hand , talking about research in a community program isn’t a good idea as Bobby mentioned because we know they don’t havre big opportunities.

What dose it mean when they say keep us in your thoughts. ??
don’t forget about us when you’re making your ROL
Yes that's what they mean. Some clearly say "I hope you will highly consider out program" or " Hope you will rank as high" at the end of the IV. But they are not allowed to ask where you rank them. You have to understand that even
don’t forget about us when you’re making your ROL
Yes that is exactly what they means. They want you to consider ranking them high. That doesn't mean anything where they want to rank you. All programs want to be ranked as number 1 choice and they decide how to rank you at the end of IV day (initial ROL) and at the end of the season (final ROL). Your ROL should depend on which program you think you fit in well not which program you think ranks you the highest. ROL always works to your advantage.

I am sorry if this is a late response. The program is okay when it comes to board pass rate and fellowship success rate of the program graduates. The hospital mostly takes care of people from low socioeconomic backgrounds.
Safety might be an issue unless you drive. If you drive there is a parking lot attached to the hospital and they have campus security.
Hospital is located close to Illinois medical district (IMD) but not within. IMD is a very safe area University of Illinois has it's own police department yet even between UI and Rush hospitals there are lots of mugging every other week if you walk outside after midnight.
If you drive or always take ubber/lyft you will be fine. Little village located behind the hospital is unsafe place but rent is tempting. Few blocks behind the hospital you can find one bedroom apartment for $500 fee blocks in front close to IMD hard to find same size unit for $100. Do the math with salary as well before you decide. Add ride-share cost.

You can look at the NRMP match data for imgs (you can easily find it searching those words). It’s the closest we have to an objective answer. The average IM interview number for matched applicants was about 7 or 8 in 2018.
This is the better data (IMO), which is the probability of matching based on # of contiguous ranks. As you can see, in 2018 at least, once you get past 13 or 14 ranks (US or non-US), your chances don't increase much at all.

There's a 50% chance at 3-4 and 80% at 6-7.
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 6.49.49 AM.png

Reactions: 6 users
I am not sure if mentioning about fellowship is a bad thing. I’ve interviewed at a few small community programs and everyone of them proudly mention about their residents getting into fellowships (even though very few and not the most competitive). Many programs would be happy if their residents get into fellowship so if you have a strong research background I would suggest mentioning about your fellowship interests as it’s almost guaranteed that you will get into one because of your research. After all most candidates rate programs based on their fellowship matches and programs would love to have a better reputation.

On the other hand , talking about research in a community program isn’t a good idea as Bobby mentioned because we know they don’t havre big opportunities.

Agreed. Some community programs are looking to improve their fellowship matchrate and would love to support your fellowship goals. It’s varies program to program, so If there’s a pre interview dinner or if there’s a tour or breakfast with just the residents before interviews, it’s a good idea to ask them about the program’ goals. If uncertain, I would err on the side of caution and tell them you’re still unsure but you’re leaning towards hospitalist medicine because of x reason.

I’m all for being honest during interviews about most things, and to be more candid and spontaneous during interviews. telling a genuine weakness, or a very genuine adversity that you had to overcome or a weird geeky hobby, really allows you to build a rapport with your interviewer and to stand out and be memorable. I think being honest about who you are is important in most aspects, but future plans is one of those things where I think you have to play the game a little, it’s a somewhat more objective measure in programs deciding what kind of fit you will be for their program.

100% agreed. This mentality were just because you are an IMG then just take whatever they throw at you seriously sucks.

I totally understand your point. The thing is that this specific program was very proud about the fellowship match and the research opportunities that they offer to the residents during the morning orientation. But when I asked for specifics from the program director I almost got mocked. I am not expecting to do mouse xenografts but when you have such a good fellowship match rate, then you have to ask about how residents manage to do that, and research is part of the equation.

Last but not least, I came to the US for a purpose and this is to go into a good fellowship with meaningful research opportunities. I can become an excellent clinician at my country too without having to cross 10.000 miles, as well as having a much higher qol there. I won't tolerate bs from a program that has supposedly strong affiliation with a top notch university and advertises high fellowship match rates but the PD will mock you if you are asking qs that are important for your future.

Reactions: 7 users
I totally understand your point. The thing is that this specific program was very proud about the fellowship match and the research opportunities that they offer to the residents during the morning orientation. But when I asked for specifics from the program director I almost got mocked. I am not expecting to do mouse xenografts but when you have such a good fellowship match rate, then you have to ask about how residents manage to do that, and research is part of the equation.

Last but not least, I came to the US for a purpose and this is to go into a good fellowship with meaningful research opportunities. I can become an excellent clinician at my country too without having to cross 10.000 miles, as well as having a much higher qol there. I won't tolerate bs from a program that has supposedly strong affiliation with a top notch university and advertises high fellowship match rates but the PD will mock you if you are asking qs that are important for your future.

Wow that sounds terrible, a program that’s contradicting itself and a PD who doesn’t remain professional while interviewing. I hope most programs aren’t like that, the places I’ve interviewed so far have been totally honest with who they are. They’ve been consistent with what they have to offer and what kind of applicants they’re looking for.

we have different goals, as a carribean grad, matching is the priority, subspecializing is secondary.

Reactions: 9 users

Self confidence is a virtue, and probably quite essential to fare well in an interview. I’d Re-think my snobby attitude about the US if you want to have any chance of building the networks necessary to obtain a competitive fellowship, or achieve any level of success in our medical system for that matter. A modicum of humility goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Is there still any hope of getting more IVs now?
A friend got an interview on Jan 8th last year , so it's not over until it's over.

Last edited:

What country are you from? Sounds like you have good training in your homeland.

Hello. Does anyone know if I should still keep my hopes high if I'm still on the waitlist for an interview at this point or if it's just a program playing with the feelings of a desperate IMG? :(
Should I keep in touch with the program every once in a while just in case they have an open spot or how does being on the waitlist work?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed at white river and can share their experience? Thanks!

Hello. Does anyone know if I should still keep my hopes high if I'm still on the waitlist for an interview at this point or if it's just a program playing with the feelings of a desperate IMG? :(
Should I keep in touch with the program every once in a while just in case they have an open spot or how does being on the waitlist work?
Thanks.
If you are clearly told you are on wait-list, there is still hope because there are people that cancel. If a spot is available they will get to you depending on your position on the wait-list. Even those that are not told they are on wait-list keep getting IVs because they are by default on wait-list. If you are told you're on wait-list you can keep in touch and ask them about your status and if there's a chance they will get to you. Wait-list means they like you but not enough spot for IV so keep the hope up.