In Danger of Failing classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niikkiiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

So I have finals in a few days, and I am concerned with a couple of classes, and I'm not sure what to do.

I am currently failing my anatomy class, but have discussed withdrawing with my professor, so I'm guessing if I fail, I don't think he'll put an F as my grade, but instead a UW.

I am also currently failing chemistry, and am passing biology with a D.

My question is, what is the best option? Should I just tough out finals, see if I fail, and beg ask my professors for a UW?

Or if I manage to pass some and get D's, should I still ask for a UW?

I have to retake these classes either way eventually, my main issue is that on my schedule, I am supposed to take classes that require me to pass this anatomy and chemistry I am in so I can continue on.

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly does a UW mean? Some kind of withdrawal? I think that at this point I would probably try to get that at all costs if your goal is medical school. Obviously a few bad grades here and there isn't a death sentence but failing three prerequisite courses in one semester is bad. It sounds like this is your first semester of college, so I would try to withdraw and try not to dig a bigger hole (if possible). If you can't withdraw, obviously just do everything you can to make it as salvageable as possible. Ds are bad, but Fs are worse. Cs are manageable. Long-term, you really need to examine why you're in this situation to begin with. Poor adjustment to college? Bad study strategies generally? Mental health? This is something you need to be proactive about because recovering from one really bad semester is one thing, but you really don't want it to become a pattern.

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly does a UW mean? Some kind of withdrawal? I think that at this point I would probably try to get that at all costs if your goal is medical school. Obviously a few bad grades here and there isn't a death sentence but failing three prerequisite courses in one semester is bad. It sounds like this is your first semester of college, so I would try to withdraw and try not to dig a bigger hole (if possible). If you can't withdraw, obviously just do everything you can to make it as salvageable as possible. Ds are bad, but Fs are worse. Cs are manageable. Long-term, you really need to examine why you're in this situation to begin with. Poor adjustment to college? Bad study strategies generally? Mental health? This is something you need to be proactive about because recovering from one really bad semester is one thing, but you really don't want it to become a pattern.

Hey there. So it is actually the beginning of my second year, and I think that I just got very anxious and nervous about grades for my first tests, so it really screwed up my studying and focus. I also think that maybe I should just be a little more light with my science course load, as I feel like I bit off more than I can chew this semester regarding that. My other semesters were actually decent, so I'm kind of upset that everything is crumbling really bad right now.

A UW is a withdrawl made by the professor, so instead of an F that is what I get. I think that if I really screw up, and end up failing, I can ask for a UW, and hope my professors are generous. I'm nervous about Ds too since that's still gonna screw my GPA. Ugh. Either way I am still planning on retaking the classes, and they do have grade forgiveness at my school, but I think it may be the average of both grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend withdrawing from them.

1) You're going to have to retake them anyway.
2) If you get D/F, those will be averaged into your AMCAS GPA, whereas withdrawals won't.
3) If you get D/F, adcoms will expect A's on the retakes.

Cut your losses and withdraw.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, just go ahead and withdraw from all of them. There is absolutely zero benefit to sticking them out - your instructors might decide to report your actual grade.

My other semesters were actually decent, so I'm kind of upset that everything is crumbling really bad right now.
You still have time between now and when you apply. But I agree with the other posters, you should cut your losses and withdraw if possible. Three Ws >>>Three Fs/Ds.

Reactions: 1 user
You still have time between now and when you apply. But I agree with the other posters, you should cut your losses and withdraw if possible. Three Ws >>>Three Fs/Ds.

The only issue is I'm past the withdraw date. I guess I should just email the professors up front and ask them for UWs?

The only issue is I'm past the withdraw date. I guess I should just email the professors up front and ask them for UWs?

To be honest, for something like this I think you need to go and speak with them directly. I would not only explain your situation and why you want the UW, but ensure that you have a plan in place to explain to them how you're going to improve when you retake the course.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

So, I am going to have to just stick it out. I cannot ask for UWs as of now because it would make me a part-time student (meaning I lose dorm, etc.). I have already spoken to most of my professors about my grades, so they do know that I'm trying etc. I'll see what happens after finals. :dead: