This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nita W.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to anyone who reads this, as you can see from the title of this conversation I'm seeking advice about my current situation.
It has always been my dream to become a doctor, this is one of the earliest memories I have from growing up. This is something I've always wanted and have always imagined myself doing. I can honestly say that I can't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. However right now I'm in a tough situation...
I was former running start student, for those who don't know what that is that's basically when you take college classes while still in high school. I was doing quite well, I was getting 4.0s in the courses I took however that began to slowly change. After graduating high school with a 4.0 gpa everything pretty much went down hill for me. I started getting distracted from my goals and not taking college seriously, I started losing motivation in wanting to be in school and eventually my 4.0 gpa dropped to what is now a 2.5.
At this point I do realize that I've dug myself into a very deep hole and I know that I haven't displayed the characteristics of someone who's passionate about Med school but becoming a doctor is still a dream for me. I still don't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. I just turned 20 years old and I really want to start doing things right.
Iv'e completed the general chem series and biology, and was planning on taking O.chem and Physics this coming year at the college. I'm pretty much aware that regardless of whether I get a 4.0 in the classes it isn't going to raise my gpa much, however my goal is to at least show an upward trend on my transcript.
What I want to know is what else I should be doing so I can raise my chances of getting into medical school with my current situation? And what should I do when I transfer to a university? I would like to believe that I still have a chance of proving myself, I know it may not be easy but I believe that I still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many total credits do you have so far? If that 2.5 is only based on like 30 credits then it isn't that hopeless a situation

I would even say that near 60 credits can be pushed through if you can stay near 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
How many total credits do you have so far? If that 2.5 is only based on like 30 credits then it isn't that hopeless a situation
Right now I've earned 73 credits, the 2.5 gpa I can say had a lot with to do with failing courses then repeating then failing again. Some of the classes I haven't repeated yet to replace the grade.

Hello to anyone who reads this, as you can see from the title of this conversation I'm seeking advice about my current situation.
It has always been my dream to become a doctor, this is one of the earliest memories I have from growing up. This is something I've always wanted and have always imagined myself doing. I can honestly say that I can't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. However right now I'm in a tough situation...
I was former running start student, for those who don't know what that is that's basically when you take college classes while still in high school. I was doing quite well, I was getting 4.0s in the courses I took however that began to slowly change. After graduating high school with a 4.0 gpa everything pretty much went down hill for me. I started getting distracted from my goals and not taking college seriously, I started losing motivation in wanting to be in school and eventually my 4.0 gpa dropped to what is now a 2.5.
At this point I do realize that I've dug myself into a very deep hole and I know that I haven't displayed the characteristics of someone who's passionate about Med school but becoming a doctor is still a dream for me. I still don't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. I just turned 20 years old and I really want to start doing things right.
Iv'e completed the general chem series and biology, and was planning on taking O.chem and Physics this coming year at the college. I'm pretty much aware that regardless of whether I get a 4.0 in the classes it isn't going to raise my gpa much, however my goal is to at least show an upward trend on my transcript.
What I want to know is what else I should be doing so I can raise my chances of getting into medical school with my current situation? And what should I do when I transfer to a university? I would like to believe that I still have a chance of proving myself, I know it may not be easy but I believe that I still have a chance.

Go visit your school's learning or education center for help with learning.

You might need to visit your school's counseling center as well....I'm sensing a mental health issue here.

Start aceing things from now on.

Reactions: 1 user
Right now I've earned 73 credits, the 2.5 gpa I can say had a lot with to do with failing courses then repeating then failing again. Some of the classes I haven't repeated yet to replace the grade.
Unfortunately there is no grade replacement when applying to medical schools. Your school might replace but AMCAS, the med school application service, would factor in both the original F and the re-take grade. All you can do right now is start making straight As and then in a few semesters assess whether to do some kind of post-bacc or SMP.

Never give up,I will suggest if you are denied admission here in US there is always an opportunity at off shore medical schools,I can suggest one and I know personally the Assist Dean of the medical school who can help you get in for the Sept,2017 Class.I can also recommend you for the scholarship there,Its an excellent medical school with all the clinical rotations in US,Please contact me for more information,your MCAT score is not required.
details at [email protected]
Only reply to this consultant if you want to acquire $200k-$300K in debt for a 60% chance (at most) at graduating and getting any residency. Some people think this is worth that risk, most don't.

Reactions: 3 users
You have dug yourself a hole! Getting 4.0 in the remainder of your bachelor's degree would almost get you a 3.1 overall GPA. *Might* be enough to admit into a DO school depending on the rest of your application. But probably what you would hear is advice to do an SMP or post-bacc (although these also only very slowly raise GPA).

Much would depend on an MCAT score. Check the numbers out for yourself, I made you a spreadsheet. But definitely get your problems sorted out, because you can't go suddenly make 4.0 when there's something wrong. Good luck!

Attachments

• GPA calculation.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 1 user
Grade replacement isn't a thing anymore for AACOMAS and never was for AMCAS.

You need to get it together or kiss your dreams goodbye. You'll probably need a 4.0 moving forward, and likely a postbacc with perfect performance as well. With 60 more credits at 4.0, your GPA would be roughly 3.18, and you'd have a strong enough upward trend for some schools to give you a look if you also knock the MCAT out of the park (look at Goro's schools that reward reinvention thread). If you do all of that and get no love, a postbacc would be appropriate. But the bottom line is you have NO room for failure moving forward. You screwed up and realized it right on the line of being too late. So work hard and stop doing stupid things, or kiss that future goodbye.

One thing I would ask yourself, however, is why you want to be a doctor. Many of the "I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can literally remember" types have misplaced goals- they want a child fantasy, or to live up to a familial expectation, or to live up to some sort of altruistic nonsense that doesn't exist in the real world. When they get to college, they crumble, because medicine isn't a fantasy- it's a reality of hard work and suffering for more than a decade. You lived life like a fantasy and are wondering why it turned out badly, and the simple answer is you were disconnected from the reality that medicine sucks until you're an attending, so get on the suck train or find a new dream.

Reactions: 1 users
You have dug yourself a hole! Getting 4.0 in the remainder of your bachelor's degree would almost get you a 3.1 overall GPA. *Might* be enough to admit into a DO school depending on the rest of your application. But probably what you would hear is advice to do an SMP or post-bacc (although these also only very slowly raise GPA).

Much would depend on an MCAT score. Check the numbers out for yourself, I made you a spreadsheet. But definitely get your problems sorted out, because you can't go suddenly make 4.0 when there's something wrong. Good luck!
I'm not doing a bachelor's degree, I'm finishing up an associates degree if that makes any difference...

All you need to do is 4.0 everything from here on out. Even if you graduate with a 3.0, with a consistent 4.0 basis you will be fine. Alternatives would be to do a post-bac