This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a freshman at a University in Texas taking Kinesiology as a major. Going through posts in different forums and realized that PT schools are almost the same cost of Med schools here in Texas.
So here are some things I would like to be advised on,
- Is gaining admission to the few med schools that accept international students financially worth it?
- If not, should I just focus on going to PT school after my bachelors?
- I also have the option of going to the Philippines (Home country) but I want to work in the US.
- Or if all fails, should I just consider other careers in the Healthcare industry.

I know the differences between the professions (My sister is a physician who studied in the Philippines)
I do have a passion to help people, that's why I have to choose between MD or PT.

I may be overthinking my situation but I would like to have an idea on what to do with my life.
I will also shadow both professions during summer.

Members don't see this ad.

MDs and PTs have a very different scope of practice. You say that you understand the differences between them, so which role do you think you would rather do? The MD route is clearly longer, more competitive, and more stressful. Find out where you think you'll be the happiest - that's the most important factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to solve your residency status first, otherwise MD is functionally out of the picture for you. You said there are a few schools that take international students but you have to practically cure cancer or win a Nobel Prize to secure one of those spots.

- I also have the option of going to the Philippines (Home country) but I want to work in the US.

You can go back to medical school in the Philippines but with High Chancellor Duterte at the helm good luck coming back. More specifically though the barriers for an international medical graduate to land a training position and therefore a job here has been purposefully made to be brutally difficult. Would not advise this route.

I agree with Dr. Moko above. If there is one word to sum up the path to an MD for you, it would be suffering. You have extra barriers to the MD path that I could barely comprehend and the MD journey is hard enough already. You must truly be dedicated to this path if you are to succeed. Keep this in mind when you shadow both professions.

The easier route is PT, or nursing, or physician assistants...

You have to solve your residency status first, otherwise MD is functionally out of the picture for you. You said there are a few schools that take international students but you have to practically cure cancer or win a Nobel Prize to secure one of those spots.

You can go back to medical school in the Philippines but with High Chancellor Duterte at the helm good luck coming back. More specifically though the barriers for an international medical graduate to land a training position and therefore a job here has been purposefully made to be brutally difficult. Would not advise this route.

I agree with Dr. Moko above. If there is one word to sum up the path to an MD for you, it would be suffering. You have extra barriers to the MD path that I could barely comprehend and the MD journey is hard enough already. You must truly be dedicated to this path if you are to succeed. Keep this in mind when you shadow both professions.

The easier route is PT, or nursing, or physician assistants...
I disagree with the first part, you don't have to cure cancer or win a nobel prize to gain admission as an international student lol. I am a non canadian intn'l with an average mcat and average EC's and I've had 5 interviews so far, so it's possible. But texas is another matter, only TCOM accepts intn'l student. You would need to look at med schools out of state.

I disagree with the first part, you don't have to cure cancer or win a nobel prize to gain admission as an international student lol. I am a non canadian intn'l with an average mcat and average EC's and I've had 5 interviews so far, so it's possible. But texas is another matter, only TCOM accepts intn'l student. You would need to look at med schools out of state.

Fascinating. Let me know how it pans out! Good luck to you too!