Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll get your number on the list on the 3rd updated on your status page but because it is all entered in manually they don't want to update it after that for every student. Like if they call 15 people off of the waitlist on April 16th you won't see your number on the page go from 50 to 35. Sorry if I phrased it in a confusing way

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
Gotcha! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I went on a tour of the school yesterday and learned some good information for us alternates. The alternate list ranking is not going to include any alternates who have already been called off of the list so if you're number 20 that means you're number 20 on the list as of April 3rd.

The ranking WILL NOT BE UPDATED on your status page but we are allowed to contact them once a week to see where they are on the alternate list. If you guys don't want to bug them constantly I'll be posting the current alternate list status on this thread every tuesday.

Thank you so much!! You’re very helpful and giving me hope!!

Btw, is is April 3rd yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!! You’re very helpful and giving me hope!!

Btw, is is April 3rd yet?
The Recruiting Coordinator made it seem like being on the alternate list was a good place to be and hinted that most of us would get good news because they went through roughly 300 alternates last year. It's also good to note that all students are lumped together on the alternate list. Whether your OOS, IS, or from one of the state's they have contracts with we are all on the same list.

Who else had a heart attack from that email ?:depressed:

Reactions: 7 users
The Recruiting Coordinator made it seem like being on the alternate list was a good place to be and hinted that most of us would get good news because they went through roughly 300 alternates last year. It's also good to note that all students are lumped together on the alternate list. Whether your OOS, IS, or from one of the state's they have contracts with we are all on the same list.

Yeeeee

I’m trying to make this sound like it makes sense, so bear with me.

I’m waiting to hear back from LMU as well, who have a $1250 deposit (ugh).

What number do you think I could say would be high enough to guarantee me a seat at Iowa? Like if I was 100 should I even put my deposit in at LMU (if I get in). I would much rather go to Iowa but would still go to LMU if I didn’t get into Iowa. Friendly advice appreciated :)

I’m trying to make this sound like it makes sense, so bear with me.

I’m waiting to hear back from LMU as well, who have a $1250 deposit (ugh).

What number do you think I could say would be high enough to guarantee me a seat at Iowa? Like if I was 100 should I even put my deposit in at LMU (if I get in). I would much rather go to Iowa but would still go to LMU if I didn’t get into Iowa. Friendly advice appreciated :)
Honestly I’d wait and see what rank you are on April 3rd and then make the decision then whether it’s worth the risk (assuming you also get into Lmu). If you get into Lmu and are high ranking on the isu list, are you willing to take that risk?
Who knows, you might be like 30th on the list, but only you would be able to decide if you are willing to take that risk based on your space.
Is Iowa State going to be a lot cheaper for you than Lmu? Could be worth the chance. Are they going to be about the same cost including COL?

Hoping we both end up high on the alternate list!!

Reactions: 2 users
Who else had a heart attack from that email ?:depressed:
Oh my god yes. Even though I told myself, I bet it's just a reminder email, my hands got all tingly. I immediately came here to see if anyone else also almost had a heart attack.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my god yes. Even though I told myself, I bet it's just a reminder email, my hands got all tingly. I immediately came here to see if anyone else also almost had a heart attack.
This was me as soon as I got off work :laugh::laugh: knew it wasn’t anything super important but I had tingly finger s

You'll get your number on the list on the 3rd updated on your status page but because it is all entered in manually they don't want to update it after that for every student. Like if they call 15 people off of the waitlist on April 16th you won't see your number on the page go from 50 to 35. Sorry if I phrased it in a confusing way

Did they say if they were going to email us to let us know theres been an update on our portal? Or is there a certain time frame that we should expect the number to be posted?

Did they say if they were going to email us to let us know theres been an update on our portal? Or is there a certain time frame that we should expect the number to be posted?
The message from today (that generated the heart attack email) said the afternoon of April 3rd. I would assume that they’d send a message out to generate an email telling us to check, but I don’t know for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't ask if we would get an update email when the rank is posted but I would assume we would get one.

Thank You so much for the updates. I am a little confused about everyone being lumped together (in-state, OOS, and contract). I thought there was only a certain number of seats for each residency status. At my tour in October, they said there were separate lists. Does this mean that in-state folks will get OOS seats? That would be a huge disadvantage to OOS.

Thank You so much for the updates. I am a little confused about everyone being lumped together (in-state, OOS, and contract). I thought there was only a certain number of seats for each residency status. At my tour in October, they said there were separate lists. Does this mean that in-state folks will get OOS seats? That would be a huge disadvantage to OOS.
From my understanding, they give your application an overall score and based off of that is where you go on the waitlist. I don't think they take OOS, IS or contract into consideration when making the waitlist.

I feel like it’s more of a disadvantage to IS students than OOS students.....
Because IS students are no longer competing in their small pool but would now be competing in a very large pool of OOS applicants who potentially have better stats then them.....

Anyone else excited about the Open House next week?? :)

Who else will have major anxiety until Tuesday?!

2...more...days....

Who else will have major anxiety until Tuesday?!

2...more...days....
giphy.gif

:cryi:So disappointed in my number- 263

Wasn't like the waitlist only 170 or so last year? So they double the amount of people they waitlisted this year. **** man

Wasn't like the waitlist only 170 or so last year? So they double the amount of people they waitlisted this year. **** man
From my understanding they broke into the interview waitlist last year. So because they didn't hold interviews this year all of the people who would have ended up on the interview waitlist got lumped in with those who would have been alternates.

Where do we find our number?
Go to your online portal, it's just underneath the part that says your application status next to the text that says "Alternate Rank:"

Just a ray of hope for us higher numbers, they went through their 170 person waitlist last year and started moving into their interview list on May 19th... Keep your chin up, there's still hope!

307 here, maybe some of us will meet again on next years forum :,( good luck to everyone though hope it moves quick!

307 here, maybe some of us will meet again on next years forum :,( good luck to everyone though hope it moves quick!
Hopefully that isn’t the case. There’s still some chance!

52/328, how far do they typically go?!

Reactions: 3 users
They said about 30% off the waitlist. 87/328 here! Please post if you hear what number they are on.

Just to clarify, I think they said about 30% of their students each year are off of the waitlist, not that they only go through 30% of the waitlist.

53rd! Fingers crossed. My friend was 80th last year and is a current student.

Just checked 276/328 yikes...:bag:

285/328... still trying to tell myself there is hope lol

Guess it’s time to start planning for applying the next cycle :(

That’s amazing!! :clap:
thank you arizona i cant believe it i started crying I have been rejected from 8 schools and waitlisted on another. I still dont know what to think