Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The list size basically doubled from last year and I don't see the point of doing it since it is impossible to go through ~300 people.

I thought I heard they nearly went through 300 people with the alternate list and interview waitlist last year? Unless I heard wrong? That was my only source of hope I was clinging to ;__;

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I heard they nearly went through 300 people with the alternate list and interview waitlist last year? Unless I heard wrong? That was my only source of hope I was clinging to ;__;
They did go about 330 people deep but that includes initial admit offers. I believe they went through the entire waitlist of 165 and into the interview waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
You heard right. That's what they said at the open house in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if you are hypothetically a 328/328 and they already send out at least 200 acceptance offers, therefore it makes it at 528...out of 1100 applicants ...is it still realistic to expect a possible acceptance until August????

So, if you are hypothetically a 328/328 and they already send out at least 200 acceptance offers, therefore it makes it at 528...out of 1100 applicants ...is it still realistic to expect a possible acceptance until August????
I wouldn’t necessarily say you should expect one, but you should be hopeful for one. Until you get a rejection letter, you still have a chance

Reactions: 2 users
As I understand it, the laptop fee isn't "included" in tuition fees. But it sounds like it is an associated fee (like access to the gyms is about a $300 fee that's automatically applied to the U-Bill).

The following statement from the Student Tablet Computer document on the admitted student page:

"After you are admitted to veterinary school, a charge for the cost of the computer will be placed on your University Bill for the Fall Semester. As an entering VM student, the cost of the computer has already been factored into the financial aid award offer which you received in May. If you have questions about the financial aid award, please contact the Office of Financial Aid."

So it is factored into the financial aid award, if that makes sense. To break it down, Spring semester in-state was $11,196 + Activity fee of $331.95 + Health facility fee of $8.00 + Health fee $120.00 + Technology fee of $130 = TOTAL VET MED RESIDENT TUITION FEES of $11,785,95.

The laptop will be an extra $2,550 in the fall semesters tuition, so fall will probably cost $14,335.95, IF tuition fees aren't changed. You can see what the activity fee, health facility fee, etc entails: registrar.iastate.edu/fees/othfee.

*Edit, I would've put links in but because I'm new to SDN, I am not allowed to :(
Thank you for doing all the calculations!! :)

I wonder how much movement the waitlist has seen so far... anyone wanna call? Hahaha

Reactions: 5 users
I sincerely hope I am wrong! Personally I feel like it is not possible to go through the whole list this time. I am very low on the list so I have already decided to move on . But as everyone else is saying, don’t lose hope until you get a rejection letter!!

I'm pretty low on the list, so even though I'm still open to any late acceptance, I've shifted my focus on a possible non-thesis Masters and a job in a research lab for the next application cycle, and of course, congratulating all the lucky ones who are getting acceptance letters! We all know the stress of this process and it's nice to hear happy news for other people! I was bummed at first, especially because I already feel like a senior citizen compared to the majority of applicants, and it's another year of waiting. But with a second go-around, I feel I can put together a much better application having gone through the process once, and plan better for uprooting my family and moving.

They didn't give me a rank but instead accepted me! I've already committed to K State so there's one person off the waitlist for you!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm pretty low on the list, so even though I'm still open to any late acceptance, I've shifted my focus on a possible non-thesis Masters and a job in a research lab for the next application cycle, and of course, congratulating all the lucky ones who are getting acceptance letters! We all know the stress of this process and it's nice to hear happy news for other people! I was bummed at first, especially because I already feel like a senior citizen compared to the majority of applicants, and it's another year of waiting. But with a second go-around, I feel I can put together a much better application having gone through the process once, and plan better for uprooting my family and moving.
I completely understand. I was very disappointed as well. I am finishing a non-thesis Masters program this May. I will not be applying again to vet school for at least 2 years, due to financial reasons. Being that I am already in my late thirties, being a veterinarian might not happen. I am still hoping that I will receive an acceptance and still remaining positive. Good luck to you!

I completely understand. I was very disappointed as well. I am finishing a non-thesis Masters program this May. I will not be applying again to vet school for at least 2 years, due to financial reasons. Being that I am already in my late thirties, being a veterinarian might not happen. I am still hoping that I will receive an acceptance and still remaining positive. Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too!

Guys don't give up hope! I am 38 and it is my 2nd time applying to Iowa. Even 40 is still young!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on giving them a call Friday to see where they’re at on the waitlist I’ll update when I know! I’m a little lower on the list so I’d just like to get an idea of how fast it’s moving

Reactions: 4 users

Iowa state has an AMAZING non thesis masters program you should look into. The first time I applied to vet school, I didn’t get in (mainly because my grades were not the greatest from my undergrad). I did the masters program here and got in not only at Iowa state vet school, but 2 others as well. There are also 3 other kids in my CVM class the did the masters program with me and got in as well ☺️

I'm 32 and I got accepted into ISU after being told my whole life that I was "too old", had a learning disability, and that I'm not smart enough :p You are a rock star REGARDLESS. <3

Reactions: 7 users
Iowa state has an AMAZING non thesis masters program you should look into. The first time I applied to vet school, I didn’t get in (mainly because my grades were not the greatest from my undergrad). I did the masters program here and got in not only at Iowa state vet school, but 2 others as well. There are also 3 other kids in my CVM class the did the masters program with me and got in as well ☺️
I almost did the masters last year and was so torn between that and continuing at the University of FL(online one health masters) I was accepted into the program but it was so close to the start date, it wasn't feasible for me and I already had credits in the one health program. Last year they said you would be considered an in state resident as a masters student, but only for admission purposes.

I was planning on giving them a call Friday to see where they’re at on the waitlist I’ll update when I know! I’m a little lower on the list so I’d just like to get an idea of how fast it’s moving
When you find out, can you post your original number as well as the new one?

When you find out, can you post your original number as well as the new one?
They won’t actually update our numbers on the portal. They’ll just tell us they’re on number X out of however many on the list. That way we know how many they’ve moved through :)

I’m currently doing the masters non-thesis program at ISU. I’m graduating in May. I’m also low on the waitlist.

thank you :)

Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely look into theirs. It's nice to hear from people who have actually gone through a program.

I’m currently doing the masters non-thesis program at ISU. I’m graduating in May. I’m also low on the waitlist.
It's really hard to figure out what will be the best option to boost an application because there are so many things that factor into acceptance other than grades and experience, but I graduated with my undergrad in 2016, found out I was having my daughter right after so had to withdraw my applications from all my internships because they were very physical, and decided to wait until the 2017 cycle to apply. Then I moved states shortly after my daughter was born, so quit my tech job. So, for a 2018 cycle application, I just feel like I'll have been out of the game too long, and would feel better either working on a Masters or getting a job in research, which is something my application was lacking.

I'm 32 and I got accepted into ISU after being told my whole life that I was "too old", had a learning disability, and that I'm not smart enough :p You are a rock star REGARDLESS. <3
YOU are a rock star!!

I think life is too long to be stuck doing something you don't like, or missing out on doing something you'd love! So I'm so happy to see all us 30+ out here just trying to live the dream :happy:

To anyone who has already been accepted, I have a bunch of the books for first year that I am willing to selling (anatomy books/physiology/histology) for a more reasonable price than the book store will charge you. Let me know if you’re interested!

As i stated the other day I am 61 on the list but I will be rejecting my spot to attend Ohio State. Good luck and I hope that helps one of you!!

It's really hard to figure out what will be the best option to boost an application because there are so many things that factor into acceptance other than grades and experience, but I graduated with my undergrad in 2016, found out I was having my daughter right after so had to withdraw my applications from all my internships because they were very physical, and decided to wait until the 2017 cycle to apply. Then I moved states shortly after my daughter was born, so quit my tech job. So, for a 2018 cycle application, I just feel like I'll have been out of the game too long, and would feel better either working on a Masters or getting a job in research, which is something my application was lacking.

It's a tough choice. Although for me, I think the best choice was to do research and make money and try to save instead of spending it on a master's program. My grades were fairly good, so I didn't see the need to boost them with a non-thesis masters. But if you're academic portion of the application isn't as strong, the masters might be a good idea.

I also graduated undergrad in 2016. I didn't know what I wanted to do so I started to do research under a DVM/PhD at the USDA and then slowly found out I wanted to head towards DVM. I did have to retake ochem (sigh) but I did really well and I think having the connections to the vet school helped me a lot.

It's a tough choice. Although for me, I think the best choice was to do research and make money and try to save instead of spending it on a master's program. My grades were fairly good, so I didn't see the need to boost them with a non-thesis masters. But if you're academic portion of the application isn't as strong, the masters might be a good idea.

I also graduated undergrad in 2016. I didn't know what I wanted to do so I started to do research under a DVM/PhD at the USDA and then slowly found out I wanted to head towards DVM. I did have to retake ochem (sigh) but I did really well and I think having the connections to the vet school helped me a lot.
Ugh, Ochem is the devil! I'm leaning toward the same. There are some jobs open now, and it would be nice to start paying down undergrad loans and save some money, rather than keep adding to the student loan stack. My undergrad grades were fine. Not stellar, not bad, just good. Same with my GRE score. My qualitative was not stellar, not bad, just good. I'm going to retake it because, why not I guess? It was so fun the first time around...

What I should do is probably contact the schools I want to reapply to and schedule an application review.

Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely look into theirs. It's nice to hear from people who have actually gone through a program.

Of course! Message me if you have any questions about the program ☺️

I'm so excited to see that there's going to be at least one other "old" person in the class! I'm 29 and feel ancient lol

Last edited:
I'm so excited to see that there's going to be at least one other "old" person in my class! I'm 29 and feel ancient lol
If I get called off the waitlist, I am 87/328, I will have you both beat! It is nice to see there will be a few people in their 30's.

If I get called off the waitlist, I am 87/328, I will have you both beat! It is nice to see there will be a few people in their 30's.
I'm close to being in my 30's! I'll be turning 27 when we get into the second semester if I get in!

Guys don't give up hope! I am 38 and it is my 2nd time applying to Iowa. Even 40 is still young!

I am 40 and made it in. We have a few in class of 2021 that are late 40s.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone planning on calling today to see how much the waitlist has moved??

Anyone planning on calling today to see how much the waitlist has moved??
I was planning on trying to give them a call! I’m at work so as long as I get a break I’ll call and update you guys! :)

Just called and they’ve only taken 8 people off the waitlist so far! She said she expects most of the movement to happen after the due date which is April 16th.

Probably after the tour as well. I wonder how many declined their waitlist spot since the 30th and how many have confirmed their acceptance with a deposit.

Probably after the tour as well. I wonder how many declined their waitlist spot since the 30th and how many have confirmed their acceptance with a deposit.

I want to know how many have declined their waitlist spot. On the Facebook page they have 81 people added and it looks like it’s just people who have put there deposit down. It’s slowly been increasing, I look at the numbers every now and then.

Does any of you have trouble joining the Facebook group? I have requested to join the group a month ago but have yet been “approved” by the admin

Does any of you have trouble joining the Facebook group? I have requested to join the group a month ago but have yet been “approved” by the admin
If you were offered a seat and accepted it, I would shoot an email to Dr. Howard at [email protected]

IIRC, she is the one who creates and admins the new class Facebook pages until around orientation, at which point it's handed over to a class rep.

I sent a message to my portal to get my current status yesterday (Friday, April 6) and now am 73/328 started out as 87/328. Kathy said that a portal message was an excellent way to contact them. I asked her if they preferred a phone call or message. I also asked her if it was ok to contact them regarding waitlist position. She said not to contact them for waitlist position more than once a week.

On another note, for current students....Could you give me a list of affordable horse pasture boarding options in Ames? I am looking to board my paint in a small herd and don't need anything fancy, just space to ride. You could also get me an e-mail of someone who is familiar with horse boarding in the area. Thanks!

I was 10/328 on the waitlist and got my letter of acceptance yesterday. I will be declining, though due to the tuition. I hope the spot goes to one of you. :nod:

Reactions: 6 users
has anyone after dra.cula on the waitlist (10+ recieved an acceptance)?

(@Dra. Cula congratulations, thank you, and good luck in all your endeavors!)

I was 10/328 on the waitlist and got my letter of acceptance yesterday. I will be declining, though due to the tuition. I hope the spot goes to one of you. :nod:
What school are you going to? Congrats on the acceptance!

I'm #14 and haven't heard anything yet, but I''l keep you posted!

I sent a message to my portal to get my current status yesterday (Friday, April 6) and now am 73/328 started out as 87/328. Kathy said that a portal message was an excellent way to contact them. I asked her if they preferred a phone call or message. I also asked her if it was ok to contact them regarding waitlist position. She said not to contact them for waitlist position more than once a week.

On another note, for current students....Could you give me a list of affordable horse pasture boarding options in Ames? I am looking to board my paint in a small herd and don't need anything fancy, just space to ride. You could also get me an e-mail of someone who is familiar with horse boarding in the area. Thanks!
So, they have moved 14 spots basically? That’s amazing!!!