Is Cornell worth the OOS tuition cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the better question is: Is any school's OOS tuition worth the cost?

(There are some schools where it is. For instance, if I had the luxury of being able to move, Wisconsin's OOS tuition would be cheaper than my MN IS tuition.)

Personally, I think Wisconsin is in a pretty sweet spot as far as branding and cost. They've got a great reputation and their cost is better under control than many (most?) schools.

But I think it's more the exception than the rule to find any school where the OOS cost is worth paying (not accounting for offsetting factors like grants, gifts, etc.).

The only other way to justify OOS tuition is to be able to get in-state. I remember getting emails saying that around 95% of OOS students get to switch to in-state after a year here. Sure there's paperwork to do, but really they try to help you the best they can. Otherwise I definitely wouldn't have gone to NCSU with their OOS tuition. It's okay for one year, but not all four.
 
I think the better question is: Is any school's OOS tuition worth the cost?

Worth it in what sense?

Worth going to if you had the choice between cheap IS tuition and an expensive OOS?

Worth going to if you are not a resident of any state that gets you IS tuition anywhere?

Worth going to if your IS school is just as expensive as most OOS tuition?

Worth going to if the alternative was not going to vet school?
 
A response to these questions is not applicable to everyone on this board and certainly not every vet student. In other words, whether OOS is worth the cost of vet school isn't one size fits all. Although I had the opportunity to attend my IS, I would have chosen not to go to vet school had that been my only option. Some of my classmates weren't accepted at their IS; others IS was almost as costly as the OOS they preferred and decided to attend. We all hear and shudder about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th timers before a school accepts them. Can we say that if that school isn't their IS, it isn't worth the price and thus they shouldn't go? Much like a pair of jeans, there are different styles, different brands, different fit and price points that run the gamut from a few dollars to several hundred. I don't think there's one pair appropriate for everyone.

A friend from undergrad attends Cornell OOS and loves it, complete with a huge tuition bill and without help. She applied, but wasn't offered a dime of free money and is paying for tuition and living expenses through loans. While it's tempting to judge her decision and stamp her on the forehead as reckless, her choice was partially due to her options; part due to her love for Cornell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the better question is: Is any school's OOS tuition worth the cost?

(There are some schools where it is. For instance, if I had the luxury of being able to move, Wisconsin's OOS tuition would be cheaper than my MN IS tuition.)

Personally, I think Wisconsin is in a pretty sweet spot as far as branding and cost. They've got a great reputation and their cost is better under control than many (most?) schools.

But I think it's more the exception than the rule to find any school where the OOS cost is worth paying (not accounting for offsetting factors like grants, gifts, etc.).

My OOS COA is cheaper than my IS would have been. Tuition is about the same but living costs are sooo much lower out here.
 
Last edited:
Everyone's situation is different. For example, I am choosing to go to school in the UK over my IS.

Basically I think depending on the individual's finances, career goals, life goals, and careful planning, OOS can be worth the cost.

Exactly! 🙂 You'll never have that experience elsewhere, and that would be a shame.
 
I guess it is different for every person. I want to go OOS enough that a 10-20k difference in total tuition over 4 years wouldn't give me pause. But since I'm paying my own way through, more than that sure would.

Update: I sent declines to Ohio and Mizzou last week (I think) and so now it's down to four. I'm pretty sure Cornell has all the info it needs now to craft an aid package on my behalf, so I'll have that to look at soon. Otherwise, it's NCSU, CSU, or Wisconsin.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra $$$ (and it can be a significant amount) to go abroad for my veterinary education just because it'd be "cool," but I've already had great opportunities to live and work on several continents, and my passport has gotten quite a workout over the last ten years. What I want most right now is not to hate myself ten years down the line because I was financially foolhardy. I want no regrets, and as I see it, saddling myself with suffocating debt would be one hell of a regret.

So, lots of money plz Cornell?
 
I guess it is different for every person.

To some degree, yeah. But that doesn't mean we can't generalize.

I see I took a lot of heat in this thread for my comment, but I stand by it.

First (and this isn't directed at you, hygebeorht), I think it's obvious there are extenuating circumstances for everything. We're all intelligent people and we can always come up with circumstances that break the general trend/mold/model.

So yes, there are great reasons to pay a higher tuition than you would otherwise need to pay (which was the general point I was responding to). However, I think <most> people just make the decision based on a campus visit and the 'vibe' they get, and I'm not sure that's really a great reason.

So I stand by the fundamental point that I was implying: I believe that *in general most people* (note the lack of absolutes) who choose to go to a school with a higher tuition than they would have had to pay (for whatever reason) are going to look back 10 years after graduation and say "Wow I wish I hadn't painted myself into this financial corner."

What I was doing was replying to the point of the OP's original question, which was fundamentally based around this: "Tuition for four years at CSU is about 100k, NCSU (inshallah I get in) is about 80k, and Cornell is about 180k," is it worth it?

To which my answer would be: "No. NCSU is an excellent school and Cornell is not worth putting yourself 100k more in the hole at 6.8%." (Or whatever the rate is.) That is absolutely not a slam on Cornell - an outstanding school by all measures - but more a reflection on the general cost of veterinary tuition across the board as compared to the earning potential.
 
I think your point was totally valid, LIS. No hate from me!

A lot of (non-vet) people I have talked to say "you're really considering a state school in NC over Cornell? Don't you want to go to the best school you got into? I mean, think about your career." Then I explain that actually I am lucky to have four top-ranked and two very good schools to choose from, so I can't really go wrong, and that NCSU is very well regarded.

And also that vets don't make the $$$ to pay off such an expensive education as a rule.

But they REALLY shut up when I tell them it's a difference of about 100k.
 
I think your point was totally valid, LIS. No hate from me!

A lot of (non-vet) people I have talked to say "you're really considering a state school in NC over Cornell? Don't you want to go to the best school you got into? I mean, think about your career." Then I explain that actually I am lucky to have four top-ranked and two very good schools to choose from, so I can't really go wrong, and that NCSU is very well regarded.

And also that vets don't make the $$$ to pay off such an expensive education as a rule.

But they REALLY shut up when I tell them it's a difference of about 100k.

Even vet people will do this. I was talking to a classmate about a week ago about what schools we'd applied to, and she said she would have definitely gone to Penn had she been accepted. I was a little flabbergasted, simply because it's such an expensive school (and she was OOS everywhere, so NCSU was def her cheapest option). When I asked why, her response was pretty much "because it's Penn!"

While I agree that sometimes going someplace more expensive is worth it, it was still a bit alarming to me. That's a LOT of money more per year she'd be paying, for reasons I don't really get... and I know her parents aren't paying for it.
 
Even vet people will do this. I was talking to a classmate about a week ago about what schools we'd applied to, and she said she would have definitely gone to Penn had she been accepted. I was a little flabbergasted, simply because it's such an expensive school (and she was OOS everywhere, so NCSU was def her cheapest option). When I asked why, her response was pretty much "because it's Penn!"

While I agree that sometimes going someplace more expensive is worth it, it was still a bit alarming to me. That's a LOT of money more per year she'd be paying, for reasons I don't really get... and I know her parents aren't paying for it.

On the flop side, I work with a vet who went to Cornell and even she told me that, despite how some clients especially in our upper middle class area would be impressed by the name, the price difference isn't worth just the name no matter how clients perceive it, and other schools are just as valid of an option to consider.
 
Even vet people will do this. I was talking to a classmate about a week ago about what schools we'd applied to, and she said she would have definitely gone to Penn had she been accepted. I was a little flabbergasted, simply because it's such an expensive school (and she was OOS everywhere, so NCSU was def her cheapest option). When I asked why, her response was pretty much "because it's Penn!"

While I agree that sometimes going someplace more expensive is worth it, it was still a bit alarming to me. That's a LOT of money more per year she'd be paying, for reasons I don't really get... and I know her parents aren't paying for it.

Haha tell her that my friend regrets to this day that she picked Penn over NCSU (both out of state for her).
 
To some degree, yeah. But that doesn't mean we can't generalize.

I see I took a lot of heat in this thread for my comment, but I stand by it.

First (and this isn't directed at you, hygebeorht), I think it's obvious there are extenuating circumstances for everything. We're all intelligent people and we can always come up with circumstances that break the general trend/mold/model.

So yes, there are great reasons to pay a higher tuition than you would otherwise need to pay (which was the general point I was responding to). However, I think <most> people just make the decision based on a campus visit and the 'vibe' they get, and I'm not sure that's really a great reason.

So I stand by the fundamental point that I was implying: I believe that *in general most people* (note the lack of absolutes) who choose to go to a school with a higher tuition than they would have had to pay (for whatever reason) are going to look back 10 years after graduation and say "Wow I wish I hadn't painted myself into this financial corner."

What I was doing was replying to the point of the OP's original question, which was fundamentally based around this: "Tuition for four years at CSU is about 100k, NCSU (inshallah I get in) is about 80k, and Cornell is about 180k," is it worth it?

To which my answer would be: "No. NCSU is an excellent school and Cornell is not worth putting yourself 100k more in the hole at 6.8%." (Or whatever the rate is.) That is absolutely not a slam on Cornell - an outstanding school by all measures - but more a reflection on the general cost of veterinary tuition across the board as compared to the earning potential.

I think NCSU is even cheaper bc you can gain residency and IS tuition is like $13 or $14K. 😱
It was cheaper to go to NCSU OOS than my IS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think your point was totally valid, LIS. No hate from me!

A lot of (non-vet) people I have talked to say "you're really considering a state school in NC over Cornell? Don't you want to go to the best school you got into? I mean, think about your career." Then I explain that actually I am lucky to have four top-ranked and two very good schools to choose from, so I can't really go wrong, and that NCSU is very well regarded.

And also that vets don't make the $$$ to pay off such an expensive education as a rule.

But they REALLY shut up when I tell them it's a difference of about 100k.

A family friend of mine works at Tufts Veterinary School and she has said over and over again "Go to the cheapest school you get into." She said all of the accredited vet schools are GREAT schools and you will get the education you need, so you might as well spend the least amount of money doing so. I think this is great advice to follow!

Unfortunately, my IS, Penn, is super expensive (more expensive than 6 school's OOS tuition!) and I didn't get in there anyway. I'm going to the cheapest school I got into but it just so happens to be my favorite too, so I got lucky. :luck: Even if I got into Penn, I'd be saving money by going to Ohio.
 
Unfortunately, my IS, Penn, is super expensive (more expensive than 6 school's OOS tuition!) and I didn't get in there anyway. I'm going to the cheapest school I got into but it just so happens to be my favorite too, so I got lucky. :luck: Even if I got into Penn, I'd be saving money by going to Ohio.

Everyone, everyone I have spoken to, including Cornell grads, has the same advice: go to the cheapest school you got into. I'm still waiting on the financial aid package, so I guess we will see...I do think it's great that Cornell will offer you a package before you decide. That's pretty rare in my experience.

Ohio is a great and affordable school. However, I chose to apply to a lot of extraordinarily affordable schools, and compared to my other acceptances, even Ohio was looking a bit pricey, so I decided to decline my offer there. However, if I weren't choosing from so many economical and well-regarded schools, I'd have happily gone to Ohio. I'd also have been happy at Mizzou, a very affordable school, but I feel it was not as great a fit as some of the others I where I have been offered acceptance.
 
Prestige and ranking are great and all, but when there are only 28 schools, ranks are negligable. Price is the more important factor... Especially with the state of the profession post-grad.
 
Besides, isn't ranking based on research funding? So if you aren't interested in research, there wouldn't be much difference between a #1 Cornell or a #5 Ohio State... Except the price tag! (I might be wrong though)
 
What about the price tag? Ohio OOS and Cornell OOS aren't very different where you consider that the first year in Columbus could be as high as $80,000 for tuition and living (before you get in-state rate) while Cornell can offer a bit more gift aid because it doesn't have to split the pot 162 ways per class.

As for the difference between schools, the curriculum/structure certainly makes a difference. Problem-based learning and early clinical instruction integrated with our block style curriculum here at Cornell have been an effective way for me to learn. I don't know if I would retain as much (or be as happy) if I had to sit 8-4 each day in lecture hall and have every class as its own separate fiefdom (especially come exam time).
 
Prestige and ranking are great and all, but when there are only 28 schools, ranks are negligable. Price is the more important factor... Especially with the state of the profession post-grad.

yep... picking a vet school is like how I do clothes shopping. pick the one that's cheap and comfortable over the one with the name brand... you have to wear it for four years!
 
What about the price tag? Ohio OOS and Cornell OOS aren't very different where you consider that the first year in Columbus could be as high as $80,000 for tuition and living (before you get in-state rate) while Cornell can offer a bit more gift aid because it doesn't have to split the pot 162 ways per class.

As for the difference between schools, the curriculum/structure certainly makes a difference. Problem-based learning and early clinical instruction integrated with our block style curriculum here at Cornell have been an effective way for me to learn. I don't know if I would retain as much (or be as happy) if I had to sit 8-4 each day in lecture hall and have every class as its own separate fiefdom (especially come exam time).
I dont think the point of CS's post was to discuss/bash/compare any school's curriculum, I believe the point was to go where it is cheapest for you because ranks aren't as important as people pretend they are....
 
I dont think the point of CS's post was to discuss/bash/compare any school's curriculum, I believe the point was to go where it is cheapest for you because ranks aren't as important as people pretend they are....
Yes! Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend anyone
 
yep... picking a vet school is like how I do clothes shopping. pick the one that's cheap and comfortable over the one with the name brand... you have to wear it for four years!

You'll be paying off the credit card for a lot longer than that.
 
I'm curious about this, but from a slightly different perspective, and would love to have input. I was admitted to my in-state, but am waitlisted at Penn. While I'm more on the go-to-the-cheapest-option side of this debate when it comes to vet school, I'm also interested in research/combined program options, since my ultimate goal is clinical research. At Penn, I would be paying out-of-state tuition and gambling for the combined program (rejected this year for that one), *but* I would be able to do exactly the kind of research that I want, pretty much from day one. When I interviewed, they said if I prove myself academically, and make myself known in a lab, that could really help me if I re-apply to the dual program. On the other hand, at my in-state, I'm already in the dual program, but I might not be able to do the kind of research that I want. I'm still looking into it, but it will involve some creative planning, as there are not currently any faculty interested in the area that I am.

So, given the confounding variable of research interest, if I am admitted to Penn, is it worth the extra tuition and the gamble? If I do get in, I get financial assistance at that point...but again, that's a big, expensive if.
 
Well, Cornell sent out its financial aid offers. For me, the tuition and fees of attending Cornell now approximate the base price of OOS education at Ohio. If Cornell could have brought it down under $150k for four years' tuition and fees, it would be a tougher choice.

If Cornell had a lot of other things that I found attractive, I might be able to bite the bullet and accept their (pretty generous!) aid offer. As it stands, there are a lot of factors that discourage me from going to Ithaca, some of which have little to do with the actual program. I think I'm going to take a day or so and then make a final decision. Thanks, everyone, for all your help and suggestions!
 
Well, Cornell sent out its financial aid offers. For me, the tuition and fees of attending Cornell now approximate the base price of OOS education at Ohio. If Cornell could have brought it down under $150k for four years' tuition and fees, it would be a tougher choice.

If Cornell had a lot of other things that I found attractive, I might be able to bite the bullet and accept their (pretty generous!) aid offer. As it stands, there are a lot of factors that discourage me from going to Ithaca, some of which have little to do with the actual program. I think I'm going to take a day or so and then make a final decision. Thanks, everyone, for all your help and suggestions!

I was wondering how you made out today! Good luck with your decision 🙂
 
If people who have received scholarships decide to go somewhere else... do the scholarships get redistributed to wait listers that are accepted? or to the whole class?
 
If people who have received scholarships decide to go somewhere else... do the scholarships get redistributed to wait listers that are accepted? or to the whole class?

I would assume it goes to those on the waitlist. Just because you get accepted off the waitlist shouldn't mean you aren't eligible for the same funding everyone else is, you know? Although if they wanted to redistribute it, I wouldn't mind... :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would assume it goes to those on the waitlist. Just because you get accepted off the waitlist shouldn't mean you aren't eligible for the same funding everyone else is, you know? Although if they wanted to redistribute it, I wouldn't mind... :laugh:

In a financial aid packet Cornell sent, there's this note: "College grant and scholarship offers will be canceled (and reallocated) if required verifications of enrollment are not received by the stated deadlines."

What that sounds like to me is that those funds may go to anyone- waitlist or others in class already with an offer. There may be a priority list of which students will be qualified for the additional money perhaps? But if there's the scenario of an alternate with a financial need of only $5000, yet the declined applicant received $10,000, it wouldn't be fair to give that alternate the entire $10k when others might have deserved more but there weren't funds to give more. However, having to re-evaluate the entire class would be an incredible time burden, which is why I wonder if there's an ordered list of students to be given more money or something along those lines.

But this is entirely my opinion, so I suppose calling them would be the only way to really know.