Is dental school even achievable for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cchu4455

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I really want to go to dental school, however my GPA is way too low (2.74) and I know that I need to take a post baccalaureate program before going into dental school. I didn't take any bio courses but am a chemistry major who took basic physics classes as part of my major requirement and a math minor. I haven't taken the DAT yet and just graduated; however, I do have a full time night job in order to pay off loans. I'm wondering if I should even bother with the DAT. And if not, what other options do I have for my career? I've always wanted to be a dentist so please help!!!!!
 
I think if you truly want to be a dentist you should stick to it! It's going to require a lottt of hard work but it will be worth it in the end. You mentioned you haven't taken any biology courses but you would definitely need to in order to apply to dental schools and take the DAT. I think first I would focus on taking the required biology courses and doing well in the post bacc program and then take the DAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I really want to go to dental school, however my GPA is way too low (2.74) and I know that I need to take a post baccalaureate program before going into dental school. I didn't take any bio courses but am a chemistry major who took basic physics classes as part of my major requirement and a math minor. I haven't taken the DAT yet and just graduated; however, I do have a full time night job in order to pay off loans. I'm wondering if I should even bother with the DAT. And if not, what other options do I have for my career? I've always wanted to be a dentist so please help!!!!!
Any good health care job is gonna require a higher GPA. Do an SMP and then take the DAT and then apply.