This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to take the MCAT even though I haven't taken physics, biochem, and soc yet? Which prep books are the best to buy that teaches these 3 subjects very well to get a good enough score on the MCAT since I haven't even take those 3 classes yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say wait until you've taken those classes. If you haven't taken any physics yet, you shouldn't be very close to applying yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a good idea to take the MCAT even though I haven't taken physics, biochem, and soc yet? Which prep books are the best to buy that teaches these 3 subjects very well to get a good enough score on the MCAT since I haven't even take those 3 classes yet?

No one can answer this best for you other than your practice test scores.

But just an fyi, taking the MCAT without any Biochem alone is like jumping off the grand canyon knowing your chute wount open and yet you are hoping someone will catch you.

Plus, you havent taken physics or sociology, thats just adding more to your plate. Imagine if ad coms see a potential bad score and realize you took it in the situation you presented, poor judgement for one thing but that just simply shows a lack of dedication that you see this process as a chore and are the type of person to cut corners. Not an impression Id want to have. But then again if you do all this and get the practice scores you want, sure knock yourself out, but you have far more things that can go wrong with it.

Since you havent taken these courses, Id go with TBR and TPR since they are detailed and geared towArds people with content gaps.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which prep books can help me?

Don't do it. Without sociology it is doable, without Biochem and physics is not. Take those classes before even thinking about the MCAT. Without those classes you aren't even close to applying anyway

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it's actually a great idea... if you don't want to go to med school.

Why would you want to take a high stakes, career deciding exam without proper preparation?

Reactions: 1 users
the premed equivalent of....
f2cbe566424251a1467ffc6039dd746b.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
sociology is the only one you should even think about self studying. Physics is one of those classes that its difficult to teach yourself especially the 2nd semester stuff. Biochem could be self taught IF you have an amazing foundation in organic

Reactions: 1 user
Teaching myself Biochem right now(more specifically using the Kaplan foundations class, so I'm not sure if this is "self teaching" since its basically an accelerated course) and it's currently my strongest subsection on practice tests(This isn't proven also since I haven't taken the real thing). I would never want to teach myself second semester physics 2 though.

Once again not really sure this is self teaching, but you can definitely learn some things if you can dedicate intensive studying time and resources towards it.

Overall small content lapses are doable, but 3 missing classes is definitely pushing it. I would not suggest it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you're unable to convince yourself to wait to take it you could also just go out and take a Kap or TPR diagnostic test. They usually do a good job of knocking people down a few pegs.

Unless you're some sort of critical thinking/strategic guessing wizard

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Biochem is the majority of the science... I took it without it as a course and my score on that section pulled my MCAT down significantly. Why risk your getting in on rushing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I did teach myself physics. However, this wasn't because I didn't take it. My physics class was an absolute joke and I learned zero in my class. Not one thing. So...I put in the time to relearn everything using YouTube and TBR. Physics became my strong point.

That being said, I do not suggest doing that for more than one course (and I still don't recommend it for one class)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I agree completely with the other posters. Taking the test before you have had a chance to be immersed in the material is not wise. Studying for the MCAT needs to be more of a review, not a first time.

Sean
www.pathtomedicine.com