Is it ethical to give my professor/doctor a gift as a thank you for treating me for free?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyAsh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student. I recently had a medical problem and went to one of the cardiology attendings at my teaching hospital for a check up, because he's the best in the field where I live. I didn't have any medical insurance lol. He was really kind and didn't let me pay a penny. He even went as far as to tell the hospital staff to give me back my money, saying he doesn't accept money from his students. And it was like 3 visits plus an echo appointment. So it did save me A LOT of money. I want to gift him something as a thank you. I was thinking like a fancy tie. Is that ethical/appropriate? He only teaches some lectures, but has nothing to do with grading students and there is no policy against professors accepting gifts from students at my uni as far as I know.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but he's 80+ years old.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt think too much about it. If it truly was a breach of ethics he wouldnt accept anyway.

We have a clinic that's run entirely by faculty that charges a flat rate of $5 per visit which includes basically everything they can do without requiring a referral. We had a classmate with a serious problem that would have ordinarily costed somewhere in the $30,000 range -- ended up paying $25 (5 different visits).

I think charging medical students, assuming they have any control over it, should be considered unethical. I think we all have a responsibility to pay it forward to the future of medicine, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A handwritten note will mean more than virtually any gift you would choose.

-Ed

Reactions: 18 users
Attendings don't need gifts, appreciation and thanks are all that is required.

Reactions: 3 users
A nice note and maybe some donuts/coffee for his staff is what I would do.

I agree with jw3600. Your attending sounds like he cares about others; so donuts for his staff will go a long way because in turn they will make his life easier. And a nice note for him. I keep thank you notes (from my patients and occasionally students), and look at them sometimes if I need a pick-me-up.

I have a little box of thank you notes from patients that I look at sometimes when I'm down. They are a real treasure to receive.

If he is an older doc, likely he has made all the money he needs to from his profession, and he is doing it for the joy of it.
If he insisted that you not pay, then it is really and truly his wish that you not pay. Buying him a fancy tie would violate his wish.
Most docs I know who are still working for the love of it, rather than for the money, feel a deep sense of gratitude for all that their profession has given them.
Turning around and giving back by supporting the next generation, particularly in this way, is what he wants to do.
The best way to say thank you for an incredible gift is to turn and do a great kindness for another. Pass it on, pay it forward, just as your doctor wishes to do for you.

It's fine. All the doctors I know like getting food, gift baskets, etc from patients and friends. So anything on the scale between a thank you card and a cake would probably be fine. Or nothing at all. Since he is your professor though, I think the card would be most appropriate.

I'm a medical student. I recently had a medical problem and went to one of the cardiology attendings at my teaching hospital for a check up, because he's the best in the field where I live. I didn't have any medical insurance lol. He was really kind and didn't let me pay a penny. He even went as far as to tell the hospital staff to give me back my money, saying he doesn't accept money from his students. And it was like 3 visits plus an echo appointment. So it did save me A LOT of money. I want to gift him something as a thank you. I was thinking like a fancy tie. Is that ethical/appropriate? He only teaches some lectures, but has nothing to do with grading students and there is no policy against professors accepting gifts from students at my uni as far as I know.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but he's 80+ years old.

Your school doesn't have an insurance requirement? I thought that was standard.

Reactions: 2 users
Make him food and write a thank you card. :)

A man that old does not need another tie. As others have said, a genuine hand written card and maybe a plate of cookies will be more than sufficient.

I was thinking like a fancy tie.
No, do not do this. Buying clothing for a faculty member is awkward and pushes the boundaries of appropriate IMO.

Like others have said, cookies or w/e (not baked by yourself, but gotten pre-packaged from a store or bakery) would be an acceptable and nice touch.

1) Agreed; why don't you have health insurance?

2) He doesn't need a tie or other trinket. A thoughtful thank you note is plenty. If his staff was nice/helpful to you, I'm sure they'd appreciate some cookies but its not necessary.