Is it possible to get into med school without research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KamG96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im a sophomore in college. Im majoring in biology and have extensive shadowing experience and volunteer experience. If I end up with a good GPA and a good MCAT score is it possible to get into med school without having research experience? Please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a sophomore, you still have time to get your feet wet with *some* kind of research (not necessarily anything that will be published). At least this will show that you have some familiarity with the process involved with research. If clinical medicine is where your true interests are (I'm the same), then you'll need to diversify your clinical experiences to sort of compensate for a lack of research.

Don't worry! A lot of applicants I interviewed had virtually no research experience but excelled as medical students. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, but doing some research would help both your apps and your MCAT.

Thanks so much! Im definitely going to try and get into a lab, but if not I just didnt want to stress too much! I appreciate the responses.

I can say for sure that working in research made reasoning through research-based passages much easier. Perhaps it would take a lot of research experience to get this effect, but op is still a sophomore so he has plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Research is really only necessary for those aiming to go into academic medicine and focusing on research-heavy schools.

Meh. It varies but reading research papers can help for the verbal and biology sections.

I can say for sure that working in research made reasoning through research-based passages much easier. Perhaps it would take a lot of research experience to get this effect, but op is still a sophomore so he has plenty of time.

Sure, if you say so

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, if you say so

My research in breast cancer definitely helped out when I got a BS passage about lung cancer processes (or something of that nature). Reading literature in the field (as you should be doing when familiarizing yourself with a new project) introduces you not only to the hard science behind the topic, but also the thinking processes encountered when reaching certain conclusions. You can absolutely do well on the MCAT without having done any research, but encountering a topic you are already familiar with (without bringing unneeded background information) can sure help make things a lot less intimidating!

I found research gave me an appreciation of the scientific process. Some things, like the extent of dedication and time it takes to get a drug put to market, can only truly be appreciated if you have a part in it yourself. So, maybe it's not "necessary," but it is definitely beneficial.

Yes. But it's increasingly difficult for many applicants to get in without any. I just don't want some freshmen or sophomores reading this, who is seriously considering a research position that would benefit their application, to not do it because they know it's possible to get in without it.

Research is really only necessary for those aiming to go into academic medicine and focusing on research-heavy schools.

In other words, those focusing on top tier schools?

In other words, those focusing on top tier schools?

To be honest, so many applicants have it I would strongly recommend doing it independent of what school you are applying to. The fact it's so prevalent means you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by not having it. I get it can be intimidating trying to find and learn a position, but it's important not only for your application, but also to become a well-rounded scientist. Personally, I'd consider it a requirement.

To be honest, so many applicants have it I would strongly recommend doing it independent of what school you are applying to. The fact it's so prevalent means you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by not having it. I get it can be intimidating trying to find a position, but it's important not only for your application, but also to become a well-rounded scientist. Personally, I'd consider it a requirement.

Not many applicants have productive, independent research though. The statistics reported on MSAR are exaggerated to include lab maintenance, solution making and dishwashing as research

Yes. But it's increasingly difficult for many applicants to get in without any. I just don't want some freshmen or sophomores reading this, who is seriously considering a research position that would benefit their application, to not do it because they know it's possible to get in without it.

Exactly. I wasn't sure why OP was asking the question, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't some way to rationalize not doing it because he just didn't want the hassle. That goes for the lurkers too - you know who you are. ;)

According to the MSAR, at most schools anywhere from 85-95% of the incoming class has conducted some form of academic research prior to matriculating. Take that for what you will.

Here's what I recommend doing... Do research for only a summer. Then say on your personal statement that you tried research, and that while it's important, it isn't for you. You're focused on the clinical aspect of medicine. This should go well with schools that aren't research-heavy, and still add to your application.

Here's what I recommend doing... Do research for only a summer. Then say on your personal statement that you tried research, and that while it's important, it isn't for you. You're focused on the clinical aspect of medicine. This should go well with schools that aren't research-heavy, and still add to your application.

Bam. QFT.

According to the MSAR, at most schools anywhere from 85-95% of the incoming class has conducted some form of academic research prior to matriculating. Take that for what you will.
Not many applicants have productive, independent research though. The statistics reported on MSAR are exaggerated to include lab maintenance, solution making and dishwashing as research

Already taken care of well in advance. ;)

Yes if you have a good amount of clinical experiences instead

At most schools in the country 70-80% of matriculants have research experience. What we don't know is the proportion of applicants who didn't get in anywhere who had research experience. It is also hard to know if research experience doesn't make a difference at some schools but because it is a ubiquitous behavior, most matriculants have the experience although the school doesn't select for that experience (just as we could measure the proportion of students who have ever consumed broccoli. The proportion is likely to be high but it has no bearing on med admission. )

Can you get in to medical school without research experience? Yes but like taking a chance that things will turn out in your favor despite not doing something you should do (eating leafy greens during pregnancy, wearing a hat outdoors in subzero weather) to give yourself the best odds of a good outcome.

Reactions: 4 users
Doesn't work that way
I know a few people that have been accepted without research last year because they had significant clinical experience (and their GPAs were average/slightly below average along with their MCAT). I also know people who have interviewed with only very slight, minimal experience/none and are waiting to hear back about acceptances

I know a few people that have been accepted without research last year because they had significant clinical experience (and their GPAs were average/slightly below average along with their MCAT). I also know people who have interviewed with only very slight, minimal experience/none and are waiting to hear back about acceptances
Not sure if you can say exactly why someone was accepted. Yes, there are people who get in without research. However, these are the exceptions and not the norm, at least for top 20

Not sure if you can say exactly why someone was accepted. Yes, there are people who get in without research. However, these are the exceptions and not the norm, at least for top 20

Well top 20 is a whole different ballgame and the person posting did not specifically mention top 20. & You are correct in that regards but they did get in without research which was my point of that statement. Lastly, it would raise your chances of being accepted if you had research but the person asking the question just wanted to know if it was possible to get in without research assuming you do well in the other categories that the admissions committee looks and the answer is yes

Well top 20 is a whole different ballgame and the person posting did not specifically mention top 20. & You are correct in that regards but they did get in without research which was my point of that statement. Lastly, it would raise your chances of being accepted if you had research but the person asking the question just wanted to know if it was possible to get in without research assuming you do well in the other categories that the admissions committee looks and the answer is yes
Yes, the first several comments answered op's question succinctly

Last edited:
Research is a huge help for the new MCAT. I think this is actually one of the biggest differences between the new and old tests (though I never took the old so I can't sure for sure). My experience in lab and clinical research were definitely a huge help the MCAT, especially the bio and psych/soc sections.

Research helps A LOT. I was surprised by how much it actually matters. Most interviewers ask about research, because they assume most applicants have it I guess. You should try to do at least a year, that's what I did.

Can you get in to medical school without research experience? Yes but like taking a chance that things will turn out in your favor despite not doing something you should do (eating leafy greens during pregnancy, wearing a hat outdoors in subzero weather) to give yourself the best odds of a good outcome.

This. It would be different if you were older/nontrad/some other extraneous factor. You are very early in your college career, why not just do some research? It doesn't need to be heroic, just a couple semesters of directed study or a summer research project will give you a boost.

depends on what school. Virginia Tech Carilion's admissions people said that they are wary of accepting people with no research because their school has a very heavy research component so, they want to take people who have shown that they are passionate about research and can handle it rather than taking a chance on a person who may end up being accepted, but hate research or not be able to cope with the research component.

they said it's not a must, but it is an important factor and if you lack it, then you'd have to prove to them that you will thrive at their school in some other way

Research helps A LOT. I was surprised by how much it actually matters. Most interviewers ask about research, because they assume most applicants have it I guess. You should try to do at least a year, that's what I did.
hm, that's a good point...looking back on the interview questions i got, i could tell what schools cared about research and which didn't. the schools that seemed to not be all about research would ask me "so, why clinician instead of researcher" whereas the schools that seemed to have a heavy emphasis spent a while asking me about my research and what i learned.

im pretty much stating the obvious tho loool