Is it still possible to get accepted to an MD/PhD program with C grades in Gen Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Microbeboy987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working in a microbiology lab for two years at my school and I'm spending my summer as an intern at a pharmaceutical company in NY. I love the research I've been doing in both settings and the pharmaceutical company has offered me first hand experience in biomedical research in functional modeling of a specific genetic disease and I would love to continue this. It's amazing because they work with variants of genes found in patients with the disease they study and they test how these variants impair functioning. I also got my EMT certification and work a few hours a month on a volunteer ambulance and I enjoy the patient experience a lot as well. My grades for all my biology and physics classes are B+ to A (thank fully haha) but chem was always a struggle. I got a C- in Gen Chem 1 and a C in Gen Chem 2. My Orgo Chem 1 grade was a B, an improvement, but does this automatically exclude me from getting in to a program for MD or MD/PhD? My overall GPA is a 3.7 and my science GPA is 3.6, I hate using grades as a way to asses my worth as a student but it's the world we live in, if I continue to work in my lab and get more patient care and shadowing, and a great MCAT do I have a chance? This seems like a childish question to ask but I'd like to know if my peers think my effort is not going to change my chances.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.6 science GPA is nowhere near unsalvageable if you're willing to improve. I would suggest visiting your school's academic resource center as soon as possible. Perhaps you need tutoring; perhaps you need to change when you study or how you retain and understand information when it comes to chemistry. You're going to need a firm grasp on the subject to kill it on the MCAT.

Also, some schools want no lower than a C in pre-req coursework, so you may have to retake Gen Chem I.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C in one semester of Orgo and I got in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upward trend + high MCAT + significant research experience and you should be able to get in a few places

Reactions: 1 users
Chemistry is heavily tested on the MCAT, so do make sure you find out why your chemistry grade is relatively low and how you can significantly improve your understanding of the subject

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about the MD side but PhD admission committees don't care about grades much. They care a lot about research experience.