This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormanJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here.
Before I start, I would like to apologize for my grammar.

Okay I'll get straight to the point.
I'm currently a senior in college, I'm about to get my bachelors in finance (I know its way off) I will graduate next May.
I have always been interested in medicine, the only reason I went for finance was because my family pressured me to, (its too late now to argue about what I should have done).
Whats been bothering me is the fact that I didn't go for pre-med, and I DIDN'T take ANY science classes (Chem, biology...etc)since high school. I'm thinking about doing pre-med as a post-bacc. But I have the following questions:
Q1. Should I just take the classes that are required for med school admission, or should I do the entire pre-med program?

Q2. What should I do to prepare me for the MCAT? And how long should I study for it?

Q3. What do you recommend I do in the mean time (between now, and until I start taking pre med classes)?
I'm really freaking out, I feel like its too late for me to start pursuing medicine.

I'm interested in medicine for two reasons:
1- Saving lives (Emergency medicine is my focus) I even daydream and fantasize about it non-stop.

2- Personal reasons, I was born with a rare genetic disease, and sadly there's no cure/treatment for it yet, Maybe one day I'll help in finding a breakthrough in research. The genetic disease caused MANY problems for me, I had multiple scoliosis surgeries, I spend a large portion of my life in a hospital, I was home schooled for 3 years in high school, because of my health. After all the hell that I've been through, I managed to get into one of the BEST colleges in Houston, and keep a high GPA, and make something out of myself. So as you can tell, I'm a fighter.

Thanks in advance,

-Norman
Future medical student

P.S (Sorry for the drama about my life)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Realistically you are looking at two years of multiple sciences each semester.
And personally I wouldn't take the MCAT until you complete organic Chem. if you are lucky you can take ochem 1 over the summer and study for the MCAT and take ochem 2 in the fall.

That might be a bit much for you without a strong science background.
I'd take it slower and not take the MCAT till you've completed the prereqs and take it the summer before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Q1. Should I just take the classes that are required for med school admission, or should I do the entire pre-med program?

Q2. What should I do to prepare me for the MCAT? And how long should I study for it?

Q3. What do you recommend I do in the mean time (between now, and until I start taking pre med classes)?
I'm really freaking out, I feel like its too late for me to start pursuing medicine.

1) Start by taking the standard prereqs (Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Orgo 1&2, Physics 1&2, Biochem). I wouldn't worry too much about taking upper level science courses, just start with the basics that you absolutely need.
2) Don't even worry about the MCAT until you've taken most, if not all, of the prereqs. MD program applications open in June each year. Ideally, you want to take the MCAT in the spring before you plan to apply (or earlier!). But the key is not to take it until you're fully prepared. It's not an exam that you want to plan to take twice. There are lots of ways to prepare: free online material, prep books, prep courses.
3) I would start getting some clinical experience now. Volunteer at a doctor's office/hospital/hospice/clinic and find some doctors to shadow. Medical schools want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into. And getting clinical experience will help you decide if medicine is really for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Start by taking the standard prereqs (Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Orgo 1&2, Physics 1&2, Biochem). I wouldn't worry too much about taking upper level science courses, just start with the basics that you absolutely need.
2) Don't even worry about the MCAT until you've taken most, if not all, of the prereqs. MD program applications open in June each year. Ideally, you want to take the MCAT in the spring before you plan to apply (or earlier!). But the key is not to take it until you're fully prepared. It's not an exam that you want to plan to take twice. There are lots of ways to prepare: free online material, prep books, prep courses.
3) I would start getting some clinical experience now. Volunteer at a doctor's office/hospital/hospice/clinic and find some doctors to shadow. Medical schools want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into. And getting clinical experience will help you decide if medicine is really for you.

Thank you for replying. Does it matter if the pre-reqs are taken from a community college? or does it have to be from a 4 year university? I might take some classes at community college this summer, because its a lot cheaper than my current 4 year university.
Thanks again

I've heard some chatter about some top MD programs looking down upon prerequisites that are taken at CC level. However, you do your best to ace those classes and don't worry about if a certain school doesn't like CC classes.

Thank you for replying. Does it matter if the pre-reqs are taken from a community college? or does it have to be from a 4 year university? I might take some classes at community college this summer, because its a lot cheaper than my current 4 year university.
Thanks again

Most medical schools prefer that you take only 1 or 2 classes at community colleges. Some prefer that you take NONE at a community college and a few have no preference .
Take the safest route for you.

Some schools may have hard and fast rules about CC but I think it's probably dealt with more on a case-by-case basis. I've also heard that a 4-year university is preferable but I think that as a nontrad, taking classes at CC is probably fine. What matters most is that you do well in them.

I have a friend who was in the exact scenario you're in- went into finance, works in NYC, now taking pre-med courses at a continuing education program. It's not going to take a short time, but it's do-able!
As people said, take the classes first and while you're doing that find a hospital at which to volunteer or shadow- you want to make sure you have a realistic view of what you're getting into. TONS of hospitals have ER volunteering positions (some more active than others). Don't start studying for the MCAT before you take the required classes- it's not going to help until you at the very least have bio1/2, chem 1/2 and physics 1/2... I studied 10 hours/day over the month-long winter break for the MCAT so you could feasibly do something like that. As people said, it will likely be 2 years before you apply. In the meantime, can you do part-time financial work to support the extra classes?

Hey guys,

I just want to throw some positive encouragement for all fellow late-bloomers, doubters, dreamers and hopefuls. I'm 28 and just very recently received my permanent residency in the USA. Taking my prereq's and I'm getting closer to applying! It was a VERY slow process for before mentioned reasons. I graduated with honors with a comm degree and psychology in 2011 after a 4 year D1 basketball career. I went back to school at 25 and started with pre-calculus. I was always terrible at math, but once I found my passion for medicine, I managed to score a 94 overall, with a tutor! I continued by taking gen chem, bio and physics in one semester and did the exact same thing the next semester. I completed it with A's and B's. IT IS ACHIEVABLE. I am now done with Ochem 1&2 and I have cal, biochem 1&2 and electives like medical micro and pathology left. I was recommended to take ALL my prereq's at a 4 year school. I did take anatomy and phys 1&2 at a CC because I wanted to stay in school and my VISA issues wouldn't allow me into a 4 year. Now I am eligible, and I am going to finish the above classes at a very good and science oriented Texas University. My GPA dropped under 3.4 due to financial stress, paperwork and immigration. But A's WILL pick me back up!

I was set to be a dentist, but I shadowed some and although I like it a lot - I was always talking to the anesthesiologist, or the surgeon at the practice. After a while I started feeling miserable about my decision, I shifted completely to the medical part of dentistry. It is daunting and intimidating at the very least to make this shift to medicine, but if I am going to do this, at 28 - I will do what I want. I'm not a mother, but I am married. I am very young at heart - I can't see myself having a family yet. Also, I was going to apply to the dental school THIS year. The blues, tears and dreams couldn't let me do this. I decided to prepare for the MCAT and take it next year, along with a great GpA. I'll be 29 and matriculate at 29 if I am super early or 30 if I need just a little more time. Nothing wrong with finishing residency at 37. 40 is the new 30. Everyone knows that! :)

MANY of my peers are married with children, are already in medical school, are in residency, some are doctors now, some have great careers in non-medical fields and I find this commendable and I respect these people. They serve as an inspiration. So what I got behind? I came here (USA) for a better life, to grow and mature. Maybe these people whom I was comparing myself with were mature enough to make confident decisions about their careers earlier than I did. Perhaps these kids were financially stable because their parents could provide. Perhaps they were blessed with both. Struggles and age do not make you less blessed. I know I was a late-bloomer. I was a shy and sheltered child and I wasn't confident until I started excelling in basketball, and even more so AFTER I graduated! Everyone has a story, even the so-called fortunate kids with the financial backing. Everyone struggles. Some struggle before medical school, some people get hit with issues after medical school. Do this FOR YOU. Get yourself together, and love and respect yourself by pursuing your passion. You only live once. You can do this. Wake up everyday and say to yourself, I CAN DO THIS AND I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR. Positive psychology!! It works!!