Is it too late for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthoneiltx

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,
I'm currently a junior as a biochem major.
When I was still attending my first school, I absolutely wasn't looking ahead to my future, so I completely lacked any type of passion in attending school. It's not that I didn't know the material, I would just decide not to do any type of homework and never showing up to class until the exam dates. I ended up with a 2.7 GPA after 2 years at my first school before I lost my full-ride scholarship. Then I got some sort of wakeup call. I asked myself what am I doing with my life and where will I be 4 years from now. (I graduated high school at 15 and finished top 10%).
I've been completely determined to succeed ever since. I ended with a 4.0 on 15 credit hours last semester and more than likely will finish this semester with 4As and a B.
So I'm now gonna be a senior with around a 3.9 GPA at my new school. And my past mistakes haunting me in the form of a 2.7 on 65 credit hours.
All if this led me to ask myself if it's too late to make it to med school, are all this effort and sacrifices gonna cancel out with childish mistakes? I have about 21 credit hours remaining to graduate and I'm preparing for the MCAT and finishing up for med school applications. I see that the students admitted have around a 3.6-3.8 GPA. And there's probably no way I'm getting over a 3.4 overall (for both school i attended) even with extra classes.
Do medical schools look at your progress or is it all about how consistent you've been from start to finish (overall GPA)?
I also want to add that I've never done any type of community service or even been in a school organization.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.4 with a strong upward trend should get you some love from the schools that reward reinvention. That's provided the rest of your app is strong. Your certainly not out of the running for med school. I'd apply broadly to realistic MD school and DO school and be looking strongly at a post bacc if you don't get in

Reactions: 1 user
So,
When I was still attending my first school, I absolutely wasn't looking ahead to my future, so I completely lacked any type of passion in attending school. It's not that I didn't know the material, I would just decide not to do any type of homework and never showing up to class until the exam dates. I ended up with a 2.7 GPA after 2 years at my first school before I lost my full-ride scholarship. Then I got some sort of wakeup call. I asked myself what am I doing with my life and where will I be 4 years from now. (I graduated high school at 15 and finished top 10%).
I've been completely determined to succeed ever since. I ended with a 4.0 on 15 credit hours last semester and more than likely will finish this semester with 4As and a B.
So I'm now gonna be a senior with around a 3.9 GPA at my new school. And my past mistakes haunting me in the form of a 2.7 on 65 credit hours.
All if this led me to ask myself if it's too late to make it to med school, are all this effort and sacrifices gonna cancel out with childish mistakes? I have about 21 credit hours remaining to graduate and I'm preparing for the MCAT and finishing up for med school applications. I see that the students admitted have around a 3.6-3.8 GPA. And there's probably no way I'm getting over a 3.4 overall (for both school i attended) even with extra classes.
Do medical schools look at your progress or is it all about how consistent you've been from start to finish (overall GPA)?
I also want to add that I've never done any type of community service or even been in a school organization.
Rock the mcat. 3.4 is almost a full standard deviation below the matriculant median, however if you are an SD above the matriculant median mcat that should help make your case. The second thing is, you need to make sure your ECS check all the boxes. The gpa trend will be your friend. Make sure you don't have a c- in any pre-req and I would personally get as many credits as I can to get the gpa as high as possible before applying. So I would recommend applying after graduation. So that would mean taking a gap year. Good luck, all is not lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation sort of looked similar to yours when I started, except I had less credits when I realized I wanted to go into medicine. My GPA actually looked lower than a 2.7. I also had never done any type of community service or been in an organization. It's definitely not too late for medical school, they will always be there. The question is, will you? It's going to take time for you to do ECs, volunteer, shadow, get clinical experience and take the MCAT. I would suggest maybe retaking some classes and keep DO a possibility if you really want to maximize your chances, that's what I did. Or you could do a SMP. You can make it happen, there's so many ways you can do this.

The same schools that value redemption and upward trends and holistic apps also tend to really like community service etc. That's a must-fix, dude.

Reactions: 1 user
Maintain that stellar GPA over one more year or so, and you'll find that plenty of MD (and ALL DO) reward reinvention.

The MD schools will want you to ace MCAT (514+) while DO school will be happy with a good score (509/510+).

Upward trends are always good. They show that the you of now is not that you of then.

You do need to start your clinical and non-clinical ECs. Without them, med school is a no-go.

So,