Is it worth going into medical school if you don't want to do a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok before I get shut down immediately hear me out, I am very familiar with the "don't go to medical school if you don't want to practice medicine" line. The thing is that I do want to practice medicine, but after familiarizing myself with what residency truly is I decided that I need to be honest with myself, is this the right path for me? I love helping people, I love the science behind medicine, but I don't like suffering. Working 80+ hours a week while being sleep deprived for YEARS is a major turn-off for me. From what I've gathered practically everyone who has completed a residency has said that they were only able to do it through pure ignorance, if they had known about what they were in store for or if they had to do it again they wouldn't dare.

I don't want to semi-blindly follow that same path out of naivety and endure the same faith of burnout, anti-depression meds, sleep deprivation, sacrificing YEARS of your life and valuable memories/experiences, losing amazing relationships with friends, family, and loved ones, etc. I believe most premeds don't fully understand what they're getting into and by the time they do, they are 100k or more in debt and are essentially forced to go down this path. Like I can't stress the "fully" enough, yea they know that med school is going to be hard, residency is going to be harder, but they don't FULLY understand until they experience it.

People tend to say that this is something you should only do if there is nothing else you can see yourself doing. I agree with that advice, I have contemplated heavily on other career paths such as physical therapy, PA, nonclinical careers, etc, and out of all of them, I can't see myself happy if I never got my MD or DO.

So anyway to get to the point, I do want to get either an MD or DO, I know medical school will be very rough but I love learning and I know it will be at least decently manageable. However, instead of going down the path of residency and then becoming an attending, I have been considering getting an MD/MBA and then exploring a career in biotech, pharm, R&D, VC, Consulting, etc. Yes I know that you don't need an MD to do all that but I believe that the knowledge that you gain from medical school will be very applicable to those endeavors.

I have read a handful of articles that show how more and more people who graduate with their MD/MBA or DO/MBA are less likely to pursue residency, and usually enter one of the career paths that I listed formerly. I have watched podcasts with many doctors who either didn't go to residency, or didn't finish residency and instead end up pursuing careers in medical technology and their lives change drastically. Their work hours are more favorable, they develop things that could help a large number of people, and they make not only more than they would in residency but sometimes more than their potential attending salaries. They all credit their success in their medical innovations to what they learned in medical school so to respond prematurely to a comment I am sure I might see, no I can't just go to MBA school alone because I wouldn't have that medical knowledge.

So I am wondering if this is a viable option, to go to medical school and then to probably pursue a career in some sort of biotech, without doing residency or a typical residency. What's interesting is that these doctors that I have mentioned still practice clinically without having finished a residency so I think that would be the best of both worlds.

I would love if anyone knows anyone who has done a similar path or knows of anyone who has done something like what I mentioned, open to any advice or feedback or maybe some information that I didn't know. I am just a lowly premed so I might be missing something and if I am sorry in advance.
don't even think about going to medical school if you don't want to practice. the suffering is real and it's like 10x harder than an MBA program. I have an MBA from a top 5 school and attend an average rated med school - still 10x harder. Go get a consulting job and later start your own company if you want to make money. Or work in investment banking and then private equity/VC.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
As someone who 1) worked 80+ hrs/week on medicine+research in med school and 2) loved it and wouldn't change a thing about my med school experience, I'd say the biggest difference between people who are happy in this field vs. not is their genuine enjoyment for the practice of medicine. You only have so many hours in a week and if a time-intensive commitment like medical training (at minimum 4 years if you're not doing residency) seems like it would get in the way of other goals you have, then you should reexamine exactly what getting a medical degree means to you. From my experience the people who've entered med school with the "just get this 7-10 years over with" mentality have been very unhappy.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
There is way too much to unpack in your flurry of posts in any reasonable amount of time, but basically all of your assumptions and conceptions about medicine and residency are wrong. I can break stuff down individually later but you are dangerously misinformed about this whole medicine thing. Where are you getting your info???
Grays Anatomy probably 😂

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Without a residency, there is no point in pursuing an MD. It’s a waste of your time and money and it’s a waste of a spot that could go to a student who actually wants to practice medicine. You cannot practice medicine without a residency. You can’t get licensed without at least an intern year and you wouldn’t know nearly enough to practice medicine independently fresh out of med school. Med school only gives you the background knowledge and at the most basic level. Residency is where you really learn how to treat patients. If you want to do biotech, you might as well do a Ph.D program which will give you knowledge that is just as valuable, if not more. By the way, I did both a residency and fellowship and while they were both hard, they were also good experiences. Yes, there were many sleepless nights, yes, there were huge patient loads, and yes, it was difficult to balance time between patient care, rounds, and conferences. However, it was hardly the soul-crushing experience you describe and no one in my residency class, as far as I know, ended up on antidepressants or became suicidal. Personally I learned a ton and also made some good friends for life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a bad idea TBH. If you already know you dont want a clinical career (ie. going ot residency first), then med school isn't worth it. Want knowledge? Do a PhD. Want to do research ? PhD. Want to work in business? MBA. Public health? MPH. Policy? MPH or MHA or MPA. Consulting can come from a variety of those things as well. Want some medical experience plus another degree? Then do PA +/i MPH, MBA, etc because it won't require residency and is half the length of med school. You'll be able to practice if you want, or not, but you'll have some experience.

Many of the people going into these other fields after med school are for a mix of reasons, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority went through med school from the start with the intent of residency/practice. Most, if not all, went initially with the intent to practice. At some point something else caught their attention or another opportunity presented itself. In some cases, they may have gone unmatched and thus pursed other options because of the lack of a residency.

The time, energy, and expense of medical school is not worth it with the intent to pursue these other avenues. And without residency, your experience is limited as well to only rotations as a student - you want be board certified in anything, and without AT LEAST 1 year of residency (for some states as some require 2 or 3 years), you won't even be licensed. To think otherwise is naive, and ironic that you point out that pre-meds don't know since they haven't experienced it. This is also a case of that IMO.

"Needing" an MD/DO with the intent of not doing residency and going into another field with another degree anyway suggests you just want to be a "doctor" for the title. You'd also be potentially taking a spot away from someone who actually wants to practice, meanwhile we have a physician shortage as it is (the residency bottleneck is a whole other issue).

TLDR: Don't do it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I loved residency and sometimes wish I could go back

• Wow
So anyway to get to the point, I do want to get either an MD or DO, I know medical school will be very rough but I love learning and I know it will be at least decently manageable. However, instead of going down the path of residency and then becoming an attending, I have been considering getting an MD/MBA and then exploring a career in biotech, pharm, R&D, VC, Consulting, etc. Yes I know that you don't need an MD to do all that but I believe that the knowledge that you gain from medical school will be very applicable to those endeavors.
Terrible idea.

Going through med school will not help you in anyway with any of those careers.

Ok before I get shut down immediately hear me out, I am very familiar with the "don't go to medical school if you don't want to practice medicine" line. The thing is that I do want to practice medicine, but after familiarizing myself with what residency truly is I decided that I need to be honest with myself, is this the right path for me? I love helping people, I love the science behind medicine, but I don't like suffering. Working 80+ hours a week while being sleep deprived for YEARS is a major turn-off for me. From what I've gathered practically everyone who has completed a residency has said that they were only able to do it through pure ignorance, if they had known about what they were in store for or if they had to do it again they wouldn't dare.

I don't want to semi-blindly follow that same path out of naivety and endure the same faith of burnout, anti-depression meds, sleep deprivation, sacrificing YEARS of your life and valuable memories/experiences, losing amazing relationships with friends, family, and loved ones, etc. I believe most premeds don't fully understand what they're getting into and by the time they do, they are 100k or more in debt and are essentially forced to go down this path. Like I can't stress the "fully" enough, yea they know that med school is going to be hard, residency is going to be harder, but they don't FULLY understand until they experience it.

People tend to say that this is something you should only do if there is nothing else you can see yourself doing. I agree with that advice, I have contemplated heavily on other career paths such as physical therapy, PA, nonclinical careers, etc, and out of all of them, I can't see myself happy if I never got my MD or DO.

I have read a handful of articles that show how more and more people who graduate with their MD/MBA or DO/MBA are less likely to pursue residency, and usually enter one of the career paths that I listed formerly. I have watched podcasts with many doctors who either didn't go to residency, or didn't finish residency and instead end up pursuing careers in medical technology and their lives change drastically. Their work hours are more favorable, they develop things that could help a large number of people, and they make not only more than they would in residency but sometimes more than their potential attending salaries. They all credit their success in their medical innovations to what they learned in medical school so to respond prematurely to a comment I am sure I might see, no I can't just go to MBA school alone because I wouldn't have that medical knowledge.

So I am wondering if this is a viable option, to go to medical school and then to probably pursue a career in some sort of biotech, without doing residency or a typical residency. What's interesting is that these doctors that I have mentioned still practice clinically without having finished a residency so I think that would be the best of both worlds.

I would love if anyone knows anyone who has done a similar path or knows of anyone who has done something like what I mentioned, open to any advice or feedback or maybe some information that I didn't know. I am just a lowly premed so I might be missing something and if I am sorry in advance.
Hell, if Dr. Fauci can have zero doctor-patient experience and still somehow manage to be a nebulous figurehead for the CDC, I'd say go for it. The sky's the limit!

I'm a headhunter who places MDs all over the world in positions working in clinical research with pharma, biotech, CRO. It is common practice especially in EU to get general MD and pursue PhD in sub specialty and then move to pharma/biotech/CRO in clinical research. Biotech investment is up considerably last 5-8 years. This is a viable career path. Emily Walsh

I think there are a few financially successful people who graduated from medical school and did not finish a residency. But, they have the following common traits. They graduated from a big name MD school. They had skills in laboratory science and research.
It would be like the Bill Gates story, where one goes to a super school, and drops out.
The drop out part is the part where you don't finish a residency.

I think my residency years were essential to shape who I am today.

And, on the other side, there are thousands of medical graduates who never got to try a residency. They are not happy people, if you are wondering how that works.

So you can go HPSP (I’m USAF, so that’s all I know) and not do a residency after med school and just work at a flight doc. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s a possibility.

Med school blows so hard. Having an MD does create some viable opportunities in tech, consulting, research, etc. I know several who have been successful doing this. Up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

In another lifetime, I worked for United Health Group’s Population Health unit. We had several physicians, PAs, and DNPs who worked in various capacities. They all were doing very well financially BUT they were all required to have at least five years of clinical practice under their belts to even qualify to work in population health. I don’t want to say that there are no jobs within the insurance, medical device / pharmaceutical industry, or in academia that don’t require some level of clinical experience but most of the jobs that I’ve seen / heard about will require it. I have a friend who finished his MD at a Caribbean medical school; he didn’t match but he ended up in a good paying career as a Medical Science Liaison but I think his having a PhD in Pharmacology and several years experience as a CRA opened that door for him. I know of a couple of MD degree holders who teach full time at the community college that I last taught at (Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology) but the ROI is horrible given that you only need a masters in most cases to teach at the CC and in Maricopa County, the salary topped out at 88k.

Think long and hard about whether or not earning your MD or DO is what you should be doing. I don’t believe that residency will be this soul crushing experience that some make it out to be, but if you have any doubts about putting in the time to do residency, you might consider other career options. There’s lots that you can do to “help people”, remain in the sciences, that don’t require the time and investment of medical school. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

You may very well “love learning” but you won’t love it when there’s very little time to process any of the hundreds of slides worth of material you’re presented with every day in med school. This isnt the fun kind of contemplative deep learning that I expected when I considered medicine as a career. It’s mostly brute force memorization with physiology (the only respite from memorization) on the side, and it will consume your life to stay afloat and pass exams if you’re not extremely interested in the material and motivated to reach the end goal.

I would’ve likely been better suited to a PhD or even an MPH but got through it because it felt like it was too late to turn back. I’m one of those people who would’ve been perfectly happy in a non clinical career in business or research or the arts who chose this path because of an interest in wellness, healthy living, and changing the medical establishment from the inside since a disease I had was improved with diet and supplements vs the meds I was given. Lifestyle, wellness, and my personal experience finding healing have almost nothing to do with what we learn in medical school. We learn about sickness and disease processes, many of which are obscure and rare and not what we’ll see as practicing clinicians, but what we’ll need to have in the back of our minds because we have to know what’s “out there” since our decisions affect whether people get the emergent care they need to avoid death or not. It’s serious stuff, and if you’re not serious about it you’ll a) fail, or b) get mediocre grades which could rule out a VC job or a consulting job at a Big Four firm, depending on what they look for.

I got through med school somehow but it was miserable, and honestly, I wish I’d spent my 20s doing something else. The only consolation is my residency being engaging and rewarding at times. Being with real people who are making you put to use your super specialized knowledge *is* the reward. Someday, I’ll be able to practice integrative medicine and do health policy work, which will be my way of salvaging the time and money (literally a decade of my life post-grad, spent moving around, spent far from my family) sunk into this experience. But those things will only be possible with the experience of residency, as will many of the paths you’ve discussed in the business word. The practical aspects of management and the way of thinking that firms are looking for is instilled in your during residency, unless you’re one of the 1% in terms of ingenuity, persistence, and the ability to work hard. Those people who “made it” in a non clinical job with their MD/DO would have “made it” without their clinical degree.

Last edited:
  • Care
Ok before I get shut down immediately hear me out, I am very familiar with the "don't go to medical school if you don't want to practice medicine" line. The thing is that I do want to practice medicine, but after familiarizing myself with what residency truly is I decided that I need to be honest with myself, is this the right path for me?
Seems like you answered your own question. I tell premeds to ask themselves the following: “If I woke up with all the money I needed to live my best life, would I still want to do medicine?”. The answer has to be yes, because Medicine is a vocational profession that relies on completing an apprenticeship.

I have contemplated heavily on other career paths such as physical therapy, PA, nonclinical careers, etc, and out of all of them, I can't see myself happy if I never got my MD or DO.
Why is that? There is no other reason to go to medicine. If you enjoy the challenge, why not a PhD? Having done both, I can tell you the latter is harder.
Seems like you want the MD for frivolous reasons. Not attacking you, just seems like you want to call yourself a doctor but not train as a doctor. You don’t learn enough in medical school to treat people. You also don’t learn about the actual system in which you’ll work. If you really want to be helping in medicine, but from a desk job, you would need to understand what you are involved in. Impossible without residency.

So anyway to get to the point, I do want to get either an MD or DO, I know medical school will be very rough but I love learning and I know it will be at least decently manageable.
Your worst assumption. I am sure you can match me in what manageable means: Undergrad engineering degree in Ivy school, working 20 hours/week in lab 1hr away from campus, went to medical school thinking the same. Medical school was going to be tough but manageable, right?
Wrong. I was drowning.
Not just that, but if you love learning, you won’t feel fulfilled. The amount of knowledge is huge, the amount of time is small, and there is no way to get through without memorization. By the end of medical school, you won’t be able to know what to do if someone sits in front of you with a complaint.
You’ll learn in residency.

You can not practice medicine without a state medical license. You can not get any state medical license without passing Step 3 and doing at minimum (Texas?) a year of residency. Therefore I doubt any podcaster saying they didn’t do residency and still practice are being truthful.

Not everyone who goes to med schools even gets to practice medicine, or practice in their field of choice. You are evaluated throughout and I know of people with personality and professionalism issues who did not get a good dean’s evaluation letter and were never matched. As sadistic as it sounds, every step in the grueling road to practice is treated as a privilege and not a right. So, you are right, going into medicine means you should know this, which few premeds consider. Every bit of training is designed to weed out, and it does not stop at med school or even residency (the licensing process is also like this).

In addition, consider that there are more med student suicides than people who choose to forgo the match. This was the case in my med school graduating class of 2018 — 2 or 3 suicides and 2 or 3 did not match. 2 people did not participate in the match, as you intend to do. It’s too much work, sweat and tears to give it up. Sometimes it’s just too much.

Just friendly advice.

• Love
  • Care
*OP on a transpacific flight*

Flight Attendant: "Help! We have a very ill passenger. Is there a doctor on board!?"
OP, realizing it's his/her time to shine: "Yes! However I want you to know that I have an extremely limited set of skills, but that I am confident I can help. Now tell me, what kind of tech startup does the passenger have in mind?"

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Hell, if Dr. Fauci can have zero doctor-patient experience and still somehow manage to be a nebulous figurehead for the CDC, I'd say go for it. The sky's the limit!

Fauci is boarded in Allergy/Immunology (which included Retrovirology, as AIDS is an acquired immune deficiency). He rounds at NIH’d clinical center (and he’s not in the CDC).
Fake news.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
I'm a headhunter who places MDs all over the world in positions working in clinical research with pharma, biotech, CRO. It is common practice especially in EU to get general MD and pursue PhD in sub specialty and then move to pharma/biotech/CRO in clinical research. Biotech investment is up considerably last 5-8 years. This is a viable career path. Emily Walsh
Not a fair comparison because in many European countries you can get a full medical license after just medical school. You need an intern year in the US.

Also most European clinical research jobs don’t pay anywhere near as well as bread and butter clinical medicine jobs in the US. Not saying money is everything but 40 hrs/week in both jobs but double the pay and more flexibility in one job(US clinical medicine)…not exactly a hard decision.

Reactions: 1 user
*OP on a transpacific flight*

Flight Attendant: "Help! We have a very ill passenger. Is there a doctor on board!?"
OP, realizing it's his/her time to shine: "Yes! However I want you to know that I have an extremely limited set of skills, but that I am confident I can help. Now tell me, what kind of tech startup does the passenger have in mind?"
To be fair only a select few specialities would be that helpful in that situation. And even then, the medical kits even on long haul international flights are normally less than ideal. No real drugs that can be useful for treatable emergencies. It’s not like you can get an EKG and give TPA for a STEMI. Maybe a chewable aspirin and an ice pack…

I did laugh though :D

I’m sure you were expecting mostly negative replies as most people here likely aren’t familiar with the other side of the healthcare world. Though, take it from someone who is currently an advanced degree candidate, and who will likely transition into biotech ER, and VC down the line, it is absolutely a pathway for you. It requires extensive networking, but an MD is very sought after in the right finance roles (i.e., life sci shops, consulting, bus dev, banking/ER/VC/HF, etc.).

Something to remember is that this pathway is very non-trad and it will more so be a relatively difficult journey and one that will require a more nuanced career path.

Feel free to message me away from the negativity that likely lies above.
Anyone pushing this narrative needs to stop. Right now.
An MD/DO degree IS NOT A STEPPING STONE, so you can further your prospects in another field.

By advising people that this line of thinking is appropriate, you are actively working as a detriment to other students who know, respect, and will use the degree to its full and intended purpose.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I know of someone from a top 20 school who skipped residency and went directly into a health care consulting firm. The person also had a masters degree so there was an additional skillset too. Has been very successful, from what I can tell. YMMV

The consulting firms are also snapping up newly minted PhDs in biological science. They "like the way they think".
what is the name of consulting firm

There are obviously exceptions (Michael Crichton had a successful career as a writer without doing a residency or practicing after Harvard Medical School, but then he was writing NYT bestsellers before graduation). A person I know who went to law school after med school felt doing a residency and being board-certified was essential to finding work both as a specialist lawyer and as a doctor. Another did lawyering after being BC in pathology. Being licensed, even if you don't practice carries some importance in crossover occupations, and having completed a residency carries even more. People looking for someone with a medical background in a non-clinical occupation frequently are looking for someone with a complete medical background, meaning not only medical school graduates, but licensed and board-certified in something.

what is the name of consulting firm
The top three consulting firms (BBM) will look at PhD's for consulting in their specialty but most of the PhD's I have known do not have the additional skill set to make a successful consultant.

Not a fair comparison because in many European countries you can get a full medical license after just medical school. You need an intern year in the US.

Also most European clinical research jobs don’t pay anywhere near as well as bread and butter clinical medicine jobs in the US. Not saying money is everything but 40 hrs/week in both jobs but double the pay and more flexibility in one job(US clinical medicine)…not exactly a hard decision.
I don't disagree with your comments - EU pays less, US requires additional year but paths outside practice are still viable. MD w/2 yrs industry $270K (pharma/BT/CRO), SMD 4-5 yrs industry $300-350 depending on TA, ED 8+ yrs $350-380K, VP 400K+ - decent US $$.

I don't disagree with your comments - EU pays less, US requires additional year but paths outside practice are still viable. MD w/2 yrs industry $270K (pharma/BT/CRO), SMD 4-5 yrs industry $300-350 depending on TA, ED 8+ yrs $350-380K, VP 400K+ - decent US $$.
Thanks for the numbers—not something I am very familiar with so those specifics are all new and interested to me. Definitely not bad compensation, but why not do 4 years of anesthesia residency, which really isn’t that crazy hours wise, and make $400k with 8 weeks vacation right away 😃 you might not make $400k right away if you want a certain location, but I am sure clinical medicine has MUCH more geographic and scheduling flexibility than a VP in finance and biotech.

OP, I am going to apply to med school this year but currently work in pharma. Every single MD I work with has completed residency and is board certified. Someone mentioned this earlier, but companies require board-certified physicians to sign off on the safety of the patients in our clinical trials. You are right that you need an MD for CMO, but you also need the board certification. Most of the MDs/DOs I work with in industry are specialists and many also have years of clinical experience before transitioning into the non-clinical role.

Possible option to get into pharma without residency is going into the business side of things.. I know an MD who did not pursue residency and went into consulting and is now heading a business division of a biotech.. another famous example is the CEO of Novartis... Can it be done? Sure.. but consider that most of these MD-to-consultants graduated from the top med schools (many consulting firms are biased towards the Harvard/Stanford class of schools), had stellar academic profiles while in school, and then had to live the consultant/VC life for many years before finally getting that "comfortable" life you are talking about. Yes, residency is hard but being a management consultant at McKinsey or Bain or one of those big consulting companies (assuming you even get in) is definitely no cake walk either..
TL;DR = "Experience life, work or study other things, if you don't want to commit to medical school right now. I did this and I'm happier for it, but am now on the pre-med route. Can't wait to re-invent my non-traditional student butt & do what I got to do."

<3

I just want to chime in and say to OP:

Even though I've recently (in the last year) went back to pre-med after years of turning down career paths that actually would've led to a comfortable existence (i.e. working for a Danish soil company that was expanding in the states that asked me for what salary I wanted, or being an artist w/ a wealthy sponsor who would support my endeavors; I've had some interesting offers), I can genuinely be excited about my decision. That's just me. Debt scares me, trust. I have been avoiding debt for years and have done my best to just work with the money I have. Luckily, I've worked different jobs to figure out what I don't like and what I'd rather do.

In fact, I studied geography/geology before I decided it wasn't what I wanted and dropped out of school to go back to community college in California. There's a lot I've experienced that pushed me in the direction of wanting to help people a completely different way and it always came down to "I should go to medical school instead of this" not because those things were "too easy" or "too hard", but legitimately because my interests led me to: I require an MD/DO to get to do the stuff I actually want to do.

Idk... do you feel like you need more experience in other fields? It's okay to do those other things, but I highly suggest that you find out what you're more interested in first, before medical school. Go get an internship somewhere or work first, if you need to do that. 'Cause trust, I certainly denied that this path was for me for a very long time, before committing to it.

Right now? I'm what you would call a life coach/wellness consultant in California and am self-employed. Starting next year, I'll be doing taxes for it and am happy with it... for now. This is my job and I think about peoples' lives sometimes more than my own but I enjoy it. I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could have an MD/DO behind my belt to help my clients out on the medical side of things. The business industry can make you a lot of money, if you're lucky, are wise enough with your resources, and have experience that impresses people -- THE KEY BEING "EXPERIENCE". There's really no 1 path do something in life. Though, speaking as a fellow pre-med who has observed SDN for a decade and experienced life, I personally believe every experience I have had in the last decade has informed me that I need to be a doctor to maximize how effective I can be in peoples' lives. This can mean anything from being a practicing doctor for a very long while, and/or perhaps work in health policy later on, to address the issues from both a patients' perspective/physicians' perspective. WHO KNOWS. I'LL CROSS EVERY BRIDGE UNTIL I GET TO IT. BUT LIVE YOUR LIFE AND THE MOOT POINTS & OTHER [not so great] EXPERIENCES WILL LEAD YOU TO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.

Besides, you can't just call something you haven't been invited to experience yet as a waste of time and money, and you have to realize that anything you do in your life will require some sort of sacrifice. I agree with many people who've already responded that you likely had some biased opinions and people who told you things that were unique cases. HOWEVER, you can't always prepare your life as though it were somebody else's, nor can you assume in business or in medicine, that you're going to be the exception to the rule. LIFE DOESN'T HAND OUT EXCEPTIONS, BUT IT'S A MIXTURE OF BEING AT THE RIGHT PLACE, AT THE RIGHT TIME, AND WITH THE RIGHT MOTIVATIONS. Residency or not, you'll risk anything for whatever you want in life. Sounds general, but you'd be surprised with whatever you do, and w/e may be asked of you to give, in order to have it.

Unfortunately for things like geosciences and business, I didn't want to sacrifice some of my personal values or principles to do things that would make me a comfortable woman. BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN. Know your values and stick with them. Things can change, but notice what's consistent about yourself. Because you're certainly of no help to any patient or consulting firm someday, if you don't even know what you want or know yourself better first. No one wants to hire someone who doesn't know what they want out of life.

With that said, I sincerely hope you figure it out. KNOW THYSELF and until then, THE GAME IS ON.

Last edited:
Thanks for the numbers—not something I am very familiar with so those specifics are all new and interested to me. Definitely not bad compensation, but why not do 4 years of anesthesia residency, which really isn’t that crazy hours wise, and make $400k with 8 weeks vacation right away 😃 you might not make $400k right away if you want a certain location, but I am sure clinical medicine has MUCH more geographic and scheduling flexibility than a VP in finance and biotech.
You know - what I hear most often early in career is that the (some) MDs that come into practice don't like the patients or intimate patient contact. Later in career it is the hours and physical stress not for everyone. Also some MDs are like tinkerers (is that a word?) they are very problem solving oriented. They want to solve multi patient/patient population problems. They want greater scope.

I am coming near the end of my M1 year, and I have realized that only a small part of medical education is the science part of it. And it is rushed. For example, this semester we have just 3 weeks each to learn the physiology and pathology of cardiac, pulmonary, renal, gastrointestinal, endocrine, and reproductive organ systems. I don't know how other school's organize their curriculum, so maybe it is different elsewhere. Nevertheless, while the course load may be doable (some may argue it is not lol), it really is just how fast can you get through it and know just enough to make sense of it. Idk, I am no genius, but I did very well in undergrad and on my MCAT, but I am just barely getting by in medical school. If there is another pathway to reach your desired career, I would skip the bs of med school.

OP--we were all in your shoes once. Young and really excited to hear more about our future opportunities, but also afraid of what sacrifice each those opportunities may require.

I'm going to be frank with you: just about any job worth having that provides a decent lifestyle (hours and/or income) will require a fair amount of sacrifice.

I used to want to be an architect. They have the worst hours of any college student. See someone sleeping on a bench or walking around school with a toothbrush in their breast pocket? Probably an architecture student. They get paid far less than us during their internship, it's far more competitive to get a good one (physicians have the match), and their hours as interns are atrocious just like ours, particularly at deadlines. They'll go well over 80hrs those weeks. Pay/hours aren't a whole lot better once their licensed, and likely on par, at best, with a resident's salary. Maybe someday they make partner/found their own firm, but then they're always having to be a salesperson, and their income still rarely approaches ours (the top 25% of architects average just over $100k). But their hours may.

Cops, firefighters? Lots of forced overtime. Always feeling undervalued. Dangerous conditions. Teachers? Worse pay, worse hours (I can't tell you how many hours my sister works after class is over) and clearly even less appreciated. Park ranger? That's my dream retirement job, but hours can still be very long and can you really support a family on $40k?

Engineers often have decent lifestyles it seems. Most of what they do seems rather boring and mundane to me though, unless you're in a leading and cutting--edge firm. But then... hours.

Yet, I've met incredibly happy cops, firefighters, engineers, teachers, and believe it or not, doctors (and even surgeons!). So life isn't doom and gloom--I say the above to highlight that if you only compare the bad in one field to the good in the others, you're not making the most informed comparison.

You need to have a realistic view of what a profession is really like, and ask yourself if it may really be a good fit. Know what the good is and the bad, and ask yourself if you can really deal with the bad, and more importantly, the routine/mundane. As a physician, even on a boring day (I don't really know what that is), I can still say I'm making a difference and my job and my presence has meaning. I'm not just a paycheck for my family--I'm literally (ok, metaphorically) rebuilding lives.

Life is a decent amount of work and sacrifice. Always has been, ever since the first cave-man had to find his own cave, find his own food, stay warm each night, prove to a cave-woman he had what it takes to provide stable shelter for a family, etc. It's actually not that bad, though being a college kid was pretty great. But we all eventually have to grow up, and it's best to find whatever it is you'll enjoy the most. If it's medicine, I guarantee you won't feel residency is that bad. Hard work? Yes. But miserable? No. Would I want to do it again? Absolutely not--but I look back very fondly at the memories, and it got me to where I am today.
As an architect applying to medical school this year, I can confirm everything said above. Just add the job instability that comes with every recession, since the architecture and construction business are usually the firsts ones to get hit, and leaves us working at Home Depot or as sales reps for architectural products. Am I terrified about having to go through the grind again? Absolutely! But am I excited about finding my calling, making the lives of my patients better every day, in a secure job, all while being well compensated compensated for it ? Heck yes!

It’s all a matter of perspective OP, but I can tell you from first hand experience, most of us will have to work out tails off at some point or another if we want to rise above.

I’m not going to try to talk OP into loving residency— first off, it can be terrible for some people (it was for me) even in a field with a “good” reputation. Even just the emotional burden is higher than many other jobs out there. If it’s already freaking someone out they probably won’t be happy during it. But secondly I just think this idea is foolish. MD only qualifies you for residency. Unless you have something else going for you (like HYPS attendance, prior experience in another field) I don’t think it helps you get other jobs. Sure there are success stories but check out the residency forums and you’ll see how people who don’t match and don’t have those factors struggle to find ANY other semi relevant or high enough paying job to take care of their debt. The debt burden alone is foolish, and there are more guaranteed paths to the careers OP is interested in.

OP – I'm not here to bash your idea, nor to talk you into medical school. But I do think I should warn you about a misconception that your entire plan hinges on.

I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not an MD without a residency will make you highly marketable. But I am qualified to comment on one part of your plan. If you are concerned about working 60 hours a week, you are highly unlikely to make partner (or even stay on as an associate) at a big consulting firm; likewise, you'd probably hate being the average CMO (or C-anything-O). I have many friends who are consultants and executives, and the *vast* majority of them hit 60 hours a week, most weeks. Keep that in mind before you sink $250k into getting an MD with the intent of going into business/consulting. Literally the only field where I've seen people routinely make attending-level money without the commensurate hours and stress is in software engineering... and even then, that's only if you live in the SF Bay Area or NYC and work for a multi-billion dollar tech company.

OP – I'm not here to bash your idea, nor to talk you into medical school. But I do think I should warn you about a misconception that your entire plan hinges on.

I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not an MD without a residency will make you highly marketable. But I am qualified to comment on one part of your plan. If you are concerned about working 60 hours a week, you are highly unlikely to make partner (or even stay on as an associate) at a big consulting firm; likewise, you'd probably hate being the average CMO (or C-anything-O). I have many friends who are consultants and executives, and the *vast* majority of them hit 60 hours a week, most weeks. Keep that in mind before you sink $250k into getting an MD with the intent of going into business/consulting. Literally the only field where I've seen people routinely make attending-level money without the commensurate hours and stress is in software engineering... and even then, that's only if you live in the SF Bay Area or NYC and work for a multi-billion dollar tech company.
Very true. Even for software engineers, you won't be able have that life until you sink years at the company and move up the ladder.

I have friends who work at Facebook/Amazon/Google as software engineers and they make pretty decent money (~150k base+bonuses/options). But, they still work ~50hr weeks and even more if there is an issue. One of the Amazon guys was complaining to me recently how he spent a month pulling 90hr weeks (yes, not a typo) because there was an emergency and it was all hands on deck.

On the flipside, one of my friend's dad is a radiologist and he works only half the year (legit takes several months off at a time) but still pulls in 400k somehow. I would definitely say medicine is one of the more comfortable lifestyle careers, unless you're a surgeon.

No need to feel bad asking about it, but this is a terrible idea. The main thing you do in medical school is memorizing the smallest of minutiae to do incrementally better than others to obtain your ideal residency. The education is contains no practical elements. Not to mention the 200K-300K you spend getting that degree...You're much better off breaking into the field you want to be in. In terms of the consultant path, it's usually someone who did medical school at a high end place, decided not to practice, and ended up doing well elsewhere. In 4 years you can advance in the field you're interested in. You're not only delaying salary in the field of interest but paying tuition (i.e 125K opportunity cost each year *4). Is whatever salary you're going to make with that MD in consulting going to be worth that? Not to mention the psychological toll most go through to survive medical school.
I’m sure you were expecting mostly negative replies as most people here likely aren’t familiar with the other side of the healthcare world. Though, take it from someone who is currently an advanced degree candidate, and who will likely transition into biotech ER, and VC down the line, it is absolutely a pathway for you. It requires extensive networking, but an MD is very sought after in the right finance roles (i.e., life sci shops, consulting, bus dev, banking/ER/VC/HF, etc.).

Something to remember is that this pathway is very non-trad and it will more so be a relatively difficult journey and one that will require a more nuanced career path.
Don't take advice from someone who hasn't even experienced the consequences of that decision. Everybody knows someone.
An MD without a residency or even a medical license is very sought after? Also VC and finance aren’t exactly lifestyle gigs which is what OP wants. I have a hard time believing people in those fields have the lifestyle flexibility that an attending in certain specialities does.
Exactly, most graduated MDs without licenses are struggling. Some people have hustled and found something but it's not a defined path which seems to be what you want.

• Love
  • Care
How many patients has he treated? ZEROOOO
From the Wall Street Journal, December 24, 2020:

Through AIDS, Ebola and Covid, Dr. Fauci Is Still Treating Patients​

The nation’s top infectious-disease official received the vaccine in part because he still does rounds in the hospital several days a week.​

Nina Pham was tired, weak and heavily medicated. The first person to contract the Ebola virus on American soil, she had been rushed by ambulance to the National Institutes of Health, where she was being treated in the most secure room of perhaps the nation’s most prestigious medical facility. Ms. Pham didn’t know who her doctor was. She wouldn’t have recognized him anyway in his protective armor.

The stranger in a hazmat suit who personally cared for Ms. Pham six years ago is now the country’s most known and recognizable doctor: Anthony Fauci.

“I just remember him being such a calming presence,” she said in an interview. “The fact that he was so confident gave me the strength and confidence in myself that I was going to beat this.”

2020 was the year that millions of Americans became familiar with Dr. Fauci’s bedside manner. It started with the nation’s leading expert on infectious diseases hearing reports of a mysterious, novel type of coronavirus spreading in Wuhan, China. It ended with him getting injected on camera to vouch for a vaccine developed with miraculous speed.

Dr. Fauci had priority in part because there was at least one thing about his life that didn’t change this year: The country’s most famous bureaucrat is still a practicing doctor.

As he rolled up his sleeve days before his 80th birthday on Thursday, Dr. Fauci explained why he was getting vaccinated. He wanted the public to feel “extreme confidence” that it was safe, he said. He also needed the shot to do his job. He remains an attending physician in the NIH Clinical Center treating patients two or three days a week.

Exactly. Something like 1/3rd of Stanford Med's class goes straight into fintech startups that pay $300k+ without a residency. These people probably had an "X factor/skill" on their resume prior to med school, family connections, and the Stanford prestige. This is much different than foregoing residency or going unmatched from a school that isn't as prestigious.
A third??? In 2019 Stanford had 85 students successfully match. Today, according to MSAR, they have a class size of 90. Assuming that the class size didn't change between then and now, and that no one washed out between day 1 and match day (which aren't even good assumptions, but for the sake of argument...), that would mean that only 5/90 (~6%) didn't match. So are you saying that ~25–30 of those students matched but then decided to turn down the position and go directly into fintech? I don't have any data to refute your claim, but it seems improbable.

Siren Song Of Tech Lures New Doctors Away From Medicine : Shots - Health News : NPR

"Stanford ranked 117th among 123 U.S. medical schools with just 68 percent of students going on to residencies in 2011, the Doximity data showed. UCSF was 98th on the list, with 79 percent of its graduating students going on to residency. (Some students may have opted to apply to residency after taking a few years off. The 2011 figures haven't yet been updated to reflect that.)"
That's nuts. I gotta wonder if it's legitimate, and if the numbers hold or it was just a fluke year. Seriously blows my mind.

On a side note, I think I would be pissed if I was a PD who went through the trouble to review someone's app, interview them, rank them, have them rank us, match them into our residency program, only to have them back out. If the numbers are that high, I would think that these schools mentioned in the article (Stanford and UCSF) would start to fall very low on the PD's rankings.

Again, this is crazy.

I would think that these people secure these spots around MS3-MS4 and never intend on participating in the match to begin with.
That would make more sense, but the numbers don't add up. Like I said two posts ago, at least 94% of the class of 2019 matched. So either a third of them backed out of their residency spots, or the claims in the NPR article don't hold up (either they analyzed an outlier class, or their data are incorrect).

I'm a US trained MD and have been in the pharma industry for 20+ years. A non-clinical life after medical school is possible. But here are what you need to know:
  • VC/Consulting/Finance: Reserved for MDs from top medical schools only (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc). Very difficult to break in otherwise, they are extremely focused on pedigree. Most will often insist on undergrad ivy league degree as well, plus a PhD or MBA. Have to do a lot of networking to get into one of these roles, plus working in a startup or other science based role before medical school always helps.

• Pharma/biotech: jobs are based on your specialty. In highest demand are oncology, immunology. MD/MBA is useless for research based positions. Most will focus on your past research activities. So having residency + fellowship + research is essential. There are some jobs in drug safety/pharmacovigilance which are less focused on specialty training, but they all require some sort of training and medical license. Jobs on the commercial side like to see an MBA plus sales experience. In research your primary value is the clinical residency training, not the medical school. Without residency you are somewhat useless as you don't have enough direct patient care experience.
Bottom line: if you want to go the non-clinical route, be aware of the disadvantages of not doing a residency.

Ya I’m not reading any of this thread. Absolutely do not go to medical school if you have no intention of practicing medicine. After residency you can take your career in whatever direction you want, often that ends up being less and less direct involvement with patient care but can still have an impact on patients. But med school without residency is absolutely worthless.

• Love