Is Loma Linda the Only Christian Medical School in the US ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeMeDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

There are numerous Christian medical schools in the US, including a number of Jesuit institutions and others. Loma Linda (to my knowledge) is the only Seventh Day Adventist institution and it is the institution that has the greatest reputation for letting its religious support influence the daily life of the students.

Georgetown harped on their Jesuit-ism when I was there for an interview. However, the students said it didn't really come into play except that no abortions were performed at affiliated hospitals or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Georgetown and Loyola are Jesuit. Many schools have Christian student organizations, however.

edit: Oops, forgot about NYMC, SLU and Creighton, which are Catholic, Jesuit and Jesuit, respectively.

Georgetown harped on their Jesuit-ism when I was there for an interview. However, the students said it didn't really come into play except that no abortions were performed at affiliated hospitals or something like that.

I believe NYMC was the same way... when I asked how the religious affiliation played a role in the medical education, they stressed that there was a significant stress on treating the underserved. Plus, I should stress that while it is highly unlikely a medical student would be performing an abortion at any medical school prior to residency, it is always something you could set up an away rotation for.

Georgetown and Loyola are Jesuit. Many schools have Christian student organizations, however.

edit: Oops, forgot about NYMC, SLU and Creighton, which are Catholic, Jesuit and Jesuit, respectively.

This is a good point. My school has a Newman Club, The Christian Medical Fellowship and the Catholic Medical Students Association... The Newman club set up a Sept 11 mass during lunch yesterday. I attend a state school, so it really shouldn't be a problem for you to practice wherever you go.

I'm pretty sure Meharry has something to do with the Methodist Church

Doesn't Wake have a Baptist affiliation? Demon Deacons...