Is medical school just for rich kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You SHOULD care! Read this comment by a Redditor: "Organizations like SDN make it socially inefficient for everyone. A few years ago, the average person applied only to 3 or 4 medical schools. Because of SDN-type organizations, people apply to several medical schools these days making this an inefficient and frustrating process for everyone."

??
That's what happens when there's more applicants than available seats. You can't blame SDN for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree. Read this Reddit comment by a medical student - "I would really encourage someone to sue SDN so that the truth comes out. Everyone will know that LizzyM is not an adcom. SDN - together with Kaplan, PR and the other test prep agencies - are making the admission process very frustrating for everyone. That's how they make money of course. But life is hell for the rest. In medical school, we have the same problem at the USMLE..."

I like that you believe that that poster is a medical student, but someone with a verified account that has been supremely helpful over a 9 year period on SDN isn't who they say they are and base your claim on a random post on reddit that says with 90%+ certainty that someone is 3 different people.

I read the blog post and honestly came away with, I'm kinda glad this person isn't going to medical school. At least right now. Seems to be a lot of maturing that needs to happen first.

If she is happy saving her language that only 4 people speak then she can go be happy with that.

Reactions: 5 users
If @LizzyM is faking being an adcomm (and isn't even being truthful about his/her sex) and has been lying for the zillions of years that s/he has been on here, at least s/he is consistent. It's pretty hard to keep lies straight which leads me to think she is probably telling the truth about who she is.

@Ismet or @gettheleadout are either of you reading this thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM primed all that criticism and is the main person at fault here with his initial posts and jumping to the judgment that I am a troll (I learned from Reddit that LizzyM is a guy who is NOT an adcom). I suspect most people are just sucking up to LizzyM because I cannot believe premeds on here are THIS unsympathetic. You will see this phenomenonn on many forums where posters suck up to the forum admin.

holy moly you've gone off the deep end

Reactions: 2 users
If @LizzyM is faking being an adcomm (and isn't even being truthful about his/her sex) and has been lying for the zillions of years that s/he has been on here, at least s/he is consistent. It's pretty hard to keep lies straight which leads me to think she is probably telling the truth about who she is.

@Ismet or @gettheleadout are either of you reading this thread?
Well I wasn't, but I'm glad you brought me here haha.
LizzyM primed all that criticism and is the main person at fault here with his initial posts and jumping to the judgment that I am a troll (I learned from Reddit that LizzyM is a guy who is NOT an adcom). I suspect most people are just sucking up to LizzyM because I cannot believe premeds on here are THIS unsympathetic. You will see this phenomenonn on many forums where posters suck up to the forum admin.

LizzyM is THE admin here. She is not an adcom.
Look, I can tell you that LizzyM is who she says she is and I can tell you that you should take my word for it, but the fact is that besides staking SDN's reputation on the verified Faculty badge she has, the administration here has no desire to provide you or anyone else with evidence that, while it might yet convince you, would violate the obligation we have to uphold whatever degree of anonymity she desires. That said, there's nothing to be gained here because we can't do anything to change your mind and you have no basis for your accusations.

You can choose not to believe me if you'd like, but you won't get anywhere with delusions like this, especially since you're wrong. I understand that applying is stressful, as are many parts of the premed process, but displacing your frustration in this way is unproductive.

Reactions: 8 users

I felt like you and Ismet needed to enjoy this thread.

I have got to say that this is by far one of the most unique thread devolutions that I've seen since I've been on SDN.

Am I the only person who thinks it a little odd that the Reddit thread appears to be less recent than the SDN thread? As of right now, it is Jun 26 at 1 am my time, this thread was June 23 around 11 am, Reddit's thread is listed as being 2 days old (which would put it June 24).

All of the links that are listed in the thread (which I looked at for curiosity) give things that are nonsensical on my computer like the ISP thing which the numbers did not match.

Reactions: 1 user
@jinglemingle I am confused are you a full blooded Oglala Lakota Indian? I was going to respond to comment earlier today but it appears you edited some of your posts. If so then you probably live on the same reservation as me. If that is the case why the heck wouldn't you just go to South Dakota's medical school? Additionally University of Minnesota-Morris campus offers free tuition to anyone with Indian blood. I didn't attend because I was silly and didn't have a good mentor, but all I had to do was show them my residence, and a paper trail leading back to my great grand parents. However this is not the problem with Indians and I think you of all people should know that. The main problem with the reservations is the elders don't want the kids to leave and therefore are not going to school. It is a very toxic environment. I feel like you are spreading misinformation. The changes that need to occur are within the reservation itself. Not medical school. Because like I said if you are 100% Oglala Lakota then you can definitely attend Minnesota, South Dakota, or North Dakota schools and probably have a well financed education because these schools want to serve that population of people. I can imagine other reservations are about the same when it comes to the environment of them.

To get back to your original question I do think rich kids have an advantage with certain things but I would never look down on them. One of my best friends I made working in a lab in undergraduate had very well off parents and she always put in a great deal of work. Other rich kids I knew didn't work a single day, but that's not their fault.

But it seems like you are acting kind of crazy now and getting off topic. My main point I want to stress is the reservation is preventing students from attending school and becoming financed. Not any other party.

Reactions: 5 users
and to think I put jinglemingle on Ignore and missed all this...

I'm a faculty member and adcom who first came here looking for ideas for interview questions. What I found was pre-meds and applicants with genuine questions and no reliable answers. I had fast internet connection, excellent typing skills, snippets of time during my day, a touch of insomnia, and teenaged kids who didn't listen to their mother. Interacting with young adults who appreciated my expertise filled a niche.

When I was stuck with the in-laws over a few holiday seasons, I used "Ask LizzyM Almost Anything" as an excuse to get away from it all.

My avitar may be "M" from the James Bond movies but I never expected people to go all M16 about me.

Many thanks to @Frostbite22 for bringing this thread back on topic.

Reactions: 14 users

Look, I can tell you that LizzyM is who she says she is and I can tell you that you should take my word for it, but the fact is that besides staking SDN's reputation on the verified Faculty badge she has, the administration here has no desire to provide you or anyone else with evidence that, while it might yet convince you, would violate the obligation we have to uphold whatever degree of anonymity she desires. That said, there's nothing to be gained here because we can't do anything to change your mind and you have no basis for your accusations.

You can choose not to believe me if you'd like, but you won't get anywhere with delusions like this, especially since you're wrong. I understand that applying is stressful, as are many parts of the premed process, but displacing your frustration in this way is unproductive.

When someone on Reddit sues SDN and your organization is asked in court what your relationship to the MCAT test prep services is or whether LizzyM is really a moderator, the truth will come out. I am sure SDN will piss some litigious person or the other. And I am sure the truth will come out eventually.

@jinglemingle I am confused are you a full blooded Oglala Lakota Indian? I was going to respond to comment earlier today but it appears you edited some of your posts. If so then you probably live on the same reservation as me. If that is the case why the heck wouldn't you just go to South Dakota's medical school? Additionally University of Minnesota-Morris campus offers free tuition to anyone with Indian blood. I didn't attend because I was silly and didn't have a good mentor, but all I had to do was show them my residence, and a paper trail leading back to my great grand parents. However this is not the problem with Indians and I think you of all people should know that. The main problem with the reservations is the elders don't want the kids to leave and therefore are not going to school. It is a very toxic environment. I feel like you are spreading misinformation. The changes that need to occur are within the reservation itself. Not medical school. Because like I said if you are 100% Oglala Lakota then you can definitely attend Minnesota, South Dakota, or North Dakota schools and probably have a well financed education because these schools want to serve that population of people. I can imagine other reservations are about the same when it comes to the environment of them.

To get back to your original question I do think rich kids have an advantage with certain things but I would never look down on them. One of my best friends I made working in a lab in undergraduate had very well off parents and she always put in a great deal of work. Other rich kids I knew didn't work a single day, but that's not their fault.

But it seems like you are acting kind of crazy now and getting off topic. My main point I want to stress is the reservation is preventing students from attending school and becoming financed. Not any other party.

I did NOT read your post after a few lines. If you are Indian, stop acting white and send me a personal message instead of responding rudely publicly. That's what an Indian would do.

Lol, people think @LizzyM is @Lee based on the fact she spends a lot of time on SDN?

Yet...Lee is physician and according to multiple sources, a Lieutenant Colonel Brigade Surgeon of United States Army, 82 Airborne Division, 4th Brigade Combat Unit. He apparently sold his practice to go full time in the Army in 2009 and has served in Afghanistan. "There, he was responsible for directing the Army health delivery system for the 5,000 men and women in his task force. His team provided lifesaving care and coordinated medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) missions for hundreds of Soldiers and civilians."

If Lizzy did all this while still finding time to help thousands of premeds, she's kind of a bad ass. However, my gut tells me Lizzy is who she says she is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did NOT read your post after a few lines. If you are Indian, stop acting white and send me a personal message instead of responding rudely publicly. That's what an Indian would do.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and to think I put jinglemingle on Ignore and missed all this...

I'm a faculty member and adcom who first came here looking for ideas for interview questions. What I found was pre-meds and applicants with genuine questions and no reliable answers. I had fast internet connection, excellent typing skills, snippets of time during my day, a touch of insomnia, and teenaged kids who didn't listen to their mother. Interacting with young adults who appreciated my expertise filled a niche.

When I was stuck with the in-laws over a few holiday seasons, I used "Ask LizzyM Almost Anything" as an excuse to get away from it all.

My avitar may be "M" from the James Bond movies but I never expected people to go all M16 about me.

Many thanks to @Frostbite22 for bringing this thread back on topic.

When some pissed off individual sues SDN, the truth about you will come out, no worries.

lol how have you not been banned already

i don't know where your life will lead, but it certainly has proven entertaining here

Lol, people think @LizzyM is @Lee based on the fact she spends a lot of time on SDN?

Yet...Lee is physician and according to multiple sources, a Lieutenant Colonel Brigade Surgeon of United States Army, 82 Airborne Division, 4th Brigade Combat Unit. He apparently sold his practice to go full time in the Army in 2009 and has served in Afghanistan. "There, he was responsible for directing the Army health delivery system for the 5,000 men and women in his task force. His team provided lifesaving care and coordinated medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) missions for hundreds of Soldiers and civilians."

If Lizzy did all this while still finding time to help thousands of premeds, she's kind of a bad ass. However, my gut tells me Lizzy is who she says she is.

I don't think she is that DO Lee guy. But I highly doubt she is an adcom.

As GTLO said above, the SDN verification process should assure verified members are indeed who they claim to be. When a concern arises, the legitimacy of the verification is reviewed by the administration and moderation staff. Sans creating an elaborate ruse, you can trust the overwhelming majority of users who have verified badges are who they say they are.

LizzyM is a faculty member, female (as stated above) and is not a founder of SDN.

Let's focus on the original post of this thread and stop straying from topic.

As GTLO said above, the SDN verification process should assure verified members are indeed who they claim to be. When a concern arises, the legitimacy of the verification is reviewed by the administration and moderation staff. Sans creating an elaborate ruse, you can trust the overwhelming majority of users who have verified badges are who they say they are.

LizzyM is a faculty member, female (as stated above) and is not a founder of SDN.

Let's focus on the original post of this thread and stop straying from topic.

You are so naive if you think I or many of the others believe in your "verification process" for LizzyM.

When some pissed off individual sues SDN, the truth about you will come out, no worries.

You could always be the first.

I will even help you and point out how you can do it. Lizzy called you a troll, you can make the argument that this is "libel" and sue SDN for it.

Of course, then Lizzy could potentially do a countersuit against you for the same.

Either way, if there is a lawsuit, you'd get to find out who LizzyM is which really is your goal.

You could always be the first.

I will even help you and point out how you can do it. Lizzy called you a troll, you can make the argument that this is "libel" and sue SDN for it.

Of course, then Lizzy could potentially do a countersuit against you for the same.

Either way, if there is a lawsuit, you'd get to find out who LizzyM is which really is your goal.

Indians don't sue. Maybe transgendered people like you do.

Indians don't sue. Maybe transgendered people do.

You are the one stating you want someone to sue. So there is your ability to do so. Or bring her before a tribal court which I know is a thing in some groups.

And given how many Indians/Native Americans I know who sue as much as they can, I can state there are many Indians who sue. Some for very legit reasons.

Indians don't sue. Maybe transgendered people like you do.

Then why are we still trying to win back the black hills area?

Secondly that is entirely un-called for. Indians have faced racism and discrimination for as long as history writes back. What is the point of adding more discrimination to the pot? That only makes people dislike us more.

Then why are we still trying to win back the black hills area?

Secondly that is entirely un-called for. Indians have faced racism and discrimination for as long as history writes back. What is the point of adding more discrimination to the pot? That only makes people dislike us more.

**** you whitey. You call yourself Indian and you may be enrolled but you know and I know that you are as white as any of them. And you know what I mean when I said Indians don't sue. I am not talking about Indian nations or white Indians like you. I am talking about those of us who look like Indians. Not whites with an effing drop of Indian blood like you. And in almost all cases, even that drop of Indian blood is a fiction because your ancestors were whites who were fraudulently enrolled by Indian agents, like Sage said in her letter.

Last edited:
**** you whitey. You call yourself Indian and you may be enrolled but you know and I know that you are as white as any of them. And you know what I mean when I said Indians don't sue. I am not talking about Indian nations or white Indians like you. I am talking about those of us who look like NDNs.
This really does nothing to help you. You are doing what the girl in letter was doing. Stop attacking people, it will accomplish nothing.

This really does nothing to help you. You are doing what the girl in letter was doing. Stop attacking people, it will accomplish nothing.

I am not trying to accomplish anything. And I don't want to be helped. There is a theory called the minority influence theory - scholar google it.

And SDN has SUCH a bad reputation among adcoms that I dare anyone to mention during interviews that they hang out on SDN.

I can't tell if this is just balls to the wall trolling or a viral ad campaign for r/premed

Reactions: 3 users
I can't tell if this is just balls to the wall trolling or a viral ad campaign for r/premed

And I cannot understand why the mods don't ban me. I see you are a Gold Donor. By the way, those who donate to SDN are the BIGGEST fools of all. Sorry, I am very angry - that guy who calls himself Indian frostbite22 made me mad because he acted like a white guy, not an Indian. But that's understandable because he is likely Indian only on paper. frostbite22 - where the eff were you mothereffer when all these people were attacking Sage?

Last edited:
And I cannot understand why the mods don't ban me. By the way, those who donate to SDN are the BIGGEST fools of all. Sorry, I am very angry - that guy who calls himself Indian frostbite22 made me mad because he acted like a white guy, not an Indian.

*I'm a female. I wish I was white at least white looking. My dad is 1/2 white and 1/2 Indian with my mom being full blooded, but why does that matter? I wish I wouldn't have had to deal with friends in my sports leagues who were not allowed to go visit my home because parents deemed it unsafe. I wish I wouldn't be looked on by society as an alcoholic, but heck I am sure I look upon others with some sort of foggy vision as well. This is what I mean by the reservation being the most toxic place. It is sentiments like this is why the girl in the article struggled. It had nothing to do with "white people"

If you are able to let go of your own racism and discrimination towards others then you would be able to help our people. It helps no one to attack random people on internet boards and name call. Instead get out there and tutor, speak at schools, help students understand scholarships available. Just get out there.

I am not trying to accomplish anything. And I don't want to be helped. There is a theory called the minority influence theory - google it.
:rolleyes: yeah... a couple days ago you started a thread titled "Help! Just found out I am not a resident of any state"
Did you start that thread just because or were you actually looking for help?

*I'm a female. I wish I was white at least white looking. My dad is 1/2 white and 1/2 Indian with my mom being full blooded, but why does that matter? I wish I wouldn't have had to deal with friends in my sports leagues who were not allowed to go visit my home because parents deemed it unsafe. I wish I wouldn't be looked on by society as an alcoholic, but heck I am sure I look upon others with some sort of foggy vision as well. This is what I mean by the reservation being the most toxic place. It is sentiments like this is why the girl in the article struggled. It had nothing to do with "white people"

If you are able to let go of your own racism and discrimination towards others then you would be able to help our people. It helps no one to attack random people on internet boards and name call. Instead get out there and tutor, speak at schools, help students understand scholarships available. Just get out there.

Like I said, frostbite22, where the eff were you when all these people were attacking Sage. And I don't care if you are 4/4 - you behave like an effing whitey.

And I cannot understand why the mods don't ban me. I see you are a Gold Donor. By the way, those who donate to SDN are the BIGGEST fools of all. Sorry, I am very angry - that guy who calls himself Indian frostbite22 made me mad because he acted like a white guy, not an Indian. But that's understandable because he is likely Indian only on paper. frostbite22 - where the eff were you mothereffer when all these people were attacking Sage?
How does one act white?

:rolleyes: yeah... a couple days ago you started a thread titled "Help! Just found out I am not a resident of any state"
Did you start that thread just because or were you actually looking for help?

All that ended when your Admin LizzyM called me a troll. I wish someone sues SDN.

Frostbite22. Now you know why everyone hates you on the rez, you effing whitey.

So much butthurt in this thread. Can we just lock it?

oh you mean those wealthy black people with servants and private planes that Sage was talking about? I'll be sure to do that.

No. One of the blacks who puts terror in your heart when you see him at night. Ask him. Seriously!

All this whining about being URM and low SES is a disgrace to anyone who has ever worked hard to achieve success no matter what race or background they come from. You're bad and you should feel bad. Grow up.

Frostbite22. Now you know why everyone hates you on the rez, you effing whitey.
Regardless of your troll-status, you have some serious issues that is certainly already holding you back in life. You will blame them on the system, undoubtedly, but really it is only you holding yourself back. I hope one day you come to recognize this, because unlike the system, you can still manage to change yourself.

I am out of here. Sorry I lost my temper. I just took it all in quietly when LizzyM called me a troll and all of you effing privileged white effers were brutally attacking Sage. But I totally lost my cool when frostbite22 - who calls herself Indian - attacked me while she was conspicuously absent when the others were attacking Sage. Frostbite22, you have genes from your white relatives and you are a disgrace and a traitor to Indian causes. I effing hate people like you more than anything else on the planet.

I don't want colleagues like the rest of you here on SDN, I really don't, so I have decided not to be a doctor but to pursue an alternative career. I won't be visiting this site (or Reddit premed) again.

I am out of here. Sorry I lost my temper. I just took it all in quietly when LizzyM called me a troll and all of you effing privileged white effers were brutally attacking Sage. But I totally lost my cool when frostbite22 - who calls herself Indian - attacked me while she was conspicuously absent when the others were attacking Sage. Frostbite22, you have genes from your white relatives and you are a disgrace and a traitor to Indian causes. I effing hate people like you more than anything else on the planet.

I don't want colleagues like the rest of you here on SDN, I really don't, so I have decided not to be a doctor but to pursue an alternative career. I won't be visiting this site (or Reddit premed) again.
This site made you realize you don't want to be a doctor..?

Status
Not open for further replies.