Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've actually never heard of any physician making $50,000 post-taxes.He's actually quite right.
With a professional degree that is 11 years [minimum] in the making post-HS Diploma, or 7 years post-Bachelor's, making only $50,000 post-taxes puts you far behind even the most moderately successful of those employed. Now when you're thinking about the capabilities of those going into medicine, usually those people whom are most devoted, intelligent, and independent, making a salary like that is pretty dismal.
While I'm getting acceptances to medical schools and sealing my fate to hundreds of thousands of more dollars in debt, I have two friends who have already locked in $75,000 pre-tax jobs in a locale that mansions sell in just the $300-500k range. If they were to relocate to New York, they'd likely be making $130-150k starting salary with just a bachelor's. Being in business, and with the more experience they get over the next few years, they will likely be making salaries in specialty range by the time I get out of my residency, yet they will be debt-free and have hundreds of thousands of dollars locked away in savings accruing interest.