This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap3374

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into UT Dallas's CBioMed SMP program. I also have an interview with UPenn's post bacc program next week. Any thoughts on which program might be better for me? I'm currently a Texas resident finishing up my last year of undergrad and applying to medical school during the upcoming cycle. I hope to attend medical school in Texas.

Here are the pros and cons I have currently.
UT Dallas Pros:
  • In Texas; don't have to move across the country
  • The tuition is half the price of that at UPenn
  • Probably easier to get a higher GPA than at Penn
  • 1 year program, perfect for gap year
UT Dallas Cons:
  • No linkages to medical schools that I'm aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
  • Doesn't have the prestige of UPenn

UPenn Pros:
  • Renowned school, could catch the attention of adcoms
  • Linkage to Robert Wood Johnson medical schoo
  • 1 year program, perfect for gap year
UPenn Cons:
  • Very expensive
  • Extremely competitive
  • Run the risk of not getting as high a GPA as I'd like to
  • According to a few posts on SDN from around 2007-2008... the classes are generally night/weekend classes that are not actually taught by UPenn professors. Not sure if this still holds true

If anyone has attended either of these schools or has faced a similar choice before, I'd appreciate your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the program in Texas, but I was just admitted to the UPenn post-bacc program and I can confirm that all of the classes that are part of the post bacc program in the fall and spring semesters are offered on evening/weekends. Some summer courses are offered during the day (condensed into half semesters). It is possible to make arrangements to take some courses during the daytime in the fall and spring, but it is uncommon and more expensive than taking classes as part of the program.

I can't speak to the program in Texas, but I was just admitted to the UPenn post-bacc program and I can confirm that all of the classes that are part of the post bacc program in the fall and spring semesters are offered on evening/weekends. Some summer courses are offered during the day (condensed into half semesters). It is possible to make arrangements to take some courses during the daytime in the fall and spring, but it is uncommon and more expensive than taking classes as part of the program.

Thanks for your help! Do you know if the evening classes are taught by UPenn professors?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answer for every class, but I do know that the biology 1/2 and genetics professor is also an adviser for the program. He was introduced on interview day. I'm not sure about the professors for the other courses.

I know TCOM's has placement percentages into schools available - UT Dallas should too. I would ask. What are your stats otherwise? GPA & MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I know TCOM's has placement percentages into schools available - UT Dallas should too. I would ask. What are your stats otherwise? GPA & MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

My cGPA and sGPA are both 3.3. My MCAT is 510.

Hey! I have also been accepted to the UTD post bacc and found out from the program advisor that the rate of success (aka acceptance to professional school) for medical and dental is 86%. Hope this helps! They don't have specific acceptances for dental, but they may for medical schools?

Hey! I have also been accepted to the UTD post bacc and found out from the program advisor that the rate of success (aka acceptance to professional school) for medical and dental is 86%. Hope this helps! They don't have specific acceptances for dental, but they may for medical schools?

Hey I applied to UTD Cbiomed Program for the 2018 cycle. Can you tell me how the program is and what is the rate of success. Does this program help you improve undergrad GPA?