You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The cost of tuition is the most daunting aspect for me. What are others' thoughts? Part of me thinks it would be foolish to go anywhere but my instate school? But this feels like such a defeatist attitude to have. Surely, something makes people go to these expensive schools and (hopefully) not regret it?
I am hop(k)in(s)g
I get in this week or next, as it is right in my back yard and the best program around, but I have heard from a couple of people (from going to the Open House in October and the fact that I currently work at a company that actively recruits from the MPH program at Hopkins each year, so I work with a few) the following:
1) Some felt rushed by the fact that its a one-year program.
2) The curriculum is a bit of a hodge-podge of courses compared to more focused two year programs, where you take courses from all departments at the school over an 11-month period (you have an opportunity to specialize, but only briefly).
3) The program, as a result, is very intense, and there isn't a whole lot of time to deeply explore what about public health interests you. You pretty much have to start thinking about recruiting the minute you set foot in the building.
4) The 60K or so, despite all of the above, is worth it from Hopkins in particular in comparison to other second-tier super $$$$ private schools because of the range of companies/NGO's that recruit from there (not to mention, their world-class career development office), but my one reservation is the fact that people have felt rushed.
5) It feels a bit like a revolving door syndrome, but that also means more alumni = more recruiting opportunities.
I get in this week or next, as it is right in my back yard and the best program around, but I have heard from a couple of people (from going to the Open House in October and the fact that I currently work at a company that actively recruits from the MPH program at Hopkins each year, so I work with a few) the following:1) Some felt rushed by the fact that its a one-year program.
2) The curriculum is a bit of a hodge-podge of courses compared to more focused two year programs, where you take courses from all departments at the school over an 11-month period (you have an opportunity to specialize, but only briefly).
3) The program, as a result, is very intense, and there isn't a whole lot of time to deeply explore what about public health interests you. You pretty much have to start thinking about recruiting the minute you set foot in the building.
4) The 60K or so, despite all of the above, is worth it from Hopkins in particular in comparison to other second-tier super $$$$ private schools because of the range of companies/NGO's that recruit from there (not to mention, their world-class career development office), but my one reservation is the fact that people have felt rushed.
5) It feels a bit like a revolving door syndrome, but that also means more alumni = more recruiting opportunities.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@eek_
I think it depends on what field you want to go into afterwards. The tuition is definitely no joke but I like to think of it in the long-term perspective over a career I hope it will pay for itself over and over again. Remember you can only do your MPH once so you might as well go to the best program you can.
That being said... I deferred my acceptance for a year in order to save $ so I definitely know where you're coming from.
I think it depends on what field you want to go into afterwards. The tuition is definitely no joke but I like to think of it in the long-term perspective over a career I hope it will pay for itself over and over again. Remember you can only do your MPH once so you might as well go to the best program you can.
That being said... I deferred my acceptance for a year in order to save $ so I definitely know where you're coming from.
Accepted to the full-time Hopkins MPH program this morning!
Does anyone know how to go about getting the MPH program to forward your application to the Carey MBA program by their stated deadline? I called and emailed the admissions office but no word yet. The business school just says to email the MPH admissions office if you want to also be considered for the MBA program, but their deadline is 1/3/2017 and I'm concerned I'll miss the deadline to apply by.
Give them until Monday I'm sure they'll get back to you by then.Does anyone know how to go about getting the MPH program to forward your application to the Carey MBA program by their stated deadline? I called and emailed the admissions office but no word yet. The business school just says to email the MPH admissions office if you want to also be considered for the MBA program, but their deadline is 1/3/2017 and I'm concerned I'll miss the deadline to apply by.
Thoughts on Bloomberg's 11 month format vs traditional 2 year programs? (i.e Yale or Columbia)
I'm worried the accelerated format:
1. Will cause a unproductive and harmful level of stress and anxiety that is not conducive to learning (beyond the level I expect from any grad program! 🙂 )For instance, will I feel rushed at Hopkins? This may be more applicable to someone like myself, who is easily anxious.
2. Won't provide ample time for research opportunities and significant interaction with faculty? (Also due to it's larger class size). I am seriously considering a PhD after the MPH.
On the other hand, the accelerated format from Bloomberg:
1. Is more affordable (than 2 year programs at Yale and Columbia)
2. Is well-regarded, has a great alumni network, and the name will probably help with career prospects/further study?
Maybe I'm just exuding undue anxiety (see worry #1 😛)
Happy New Year all! 🙂
I'm worried the accelerated format:
1. Will cause a unproductive and harmful level of stress and anxiety that is not conducive to learning (beyond the level I expect from any grad program! 🙂 )For instance, will I feel rushed at Hopkins? This may be more applicable to someone like myself, who is easily anxious.
2. Won't provide ample time for research opportunities and significant interaction with faculty? (Also due to it's larger class size). I am seriously considering a PhD after the MPH.
On the other hand, the accelerated format from Bloomberg:
1. Is more affordable (than 2 year programs at Yale and Columbia)
2. Is well-regarded, has a great alumni network, and the name will probably help with career prospects/further study?
Maybe I'm just exuding undue anxiety (see worry #1 😛)
Happy New Year all! 🙂
Thoughts on Bloomberg's 11 month format vs traditional 2 year programs? (i.e Yale or Columbia)
I'm worried the accelerated format:
1. Will cause a unproductive and harmful level of stress and anxiety that is not conducive to learning (beyond the level I expect from any grad program! 🙂 )For instance, will I feel rushed at Hopkins? This may be more applicable to someone like myself, who is easily anxious.
2. Won't provide ample time for research opportunities and significant interaction with faculty? (Also due to it's larger class size). I am seriously considering a PhD after the MPH.
On the other hand, the accelerated format from Bloomberg:
1. Is more affordable (than 2 year programs at Yale and Columbia)
2. Is well-regarded, has a great alumni network, and the name will probably help with career prospects/further study?
Maybe I'm just exuding undue anxiety (see worry #1 😛)
Happy New Year all! 🙂
Here is something to keep in mind. Hopkins does have amazing connections, and will look great when applying to PhD programs. However, if you are worried that the fast-paced course schedule will cause you anxiety, this negates all of the above. This happened to me in college; I went to the highest regarded program on my acceptance list (UCI), and floundered in the large class sizes. Going to a research powerhouse with great connections did nothing for me. If I had gone to University of the Pacific (second choice), with smaller class sizes and individual attention, I would have done much better, not become so discouraged as to stop being a premed, and would likely be in medical school right now. So, connections are important, but not as important as your overall health; and you can make connections at any school as long as it's CEPH accredited.
Here is something to keep in mind. Hopkins does have amazing connections, and will look great when applying to PhD programs. However, if you are worried that the fast-paced course schedule will cause you anxiety, this negates all of the above. This happened to me in college; I went to the highest regarded program on my acceptance list (UCI), and floundered in the large class sizes. Going to a research powerhouse with great connections did nothing for me. If I had gone to University of the Pacific (second choice), with smaller class sizes and individual attention, I would have done much better, not become so discouraged as to stop being a premed, and would likely be in medical school right now. So, connections are important, but not as important as your overall health; and you can make connections at any school as long as it's CEPH accredited.
Thank you!! 😀 My heart (and perhaps brain!) has been set on Yale due to its small class sizes, two year format w/ master thesis requirement, interdisciplinary nature (combined epi and social and behavioral sciences), etc. Everything about it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for! There's so much "Hopkins or bust" noise (or at least I hear it!) that I feel foolish for contemplating going anywhere else now that I've been accepted.
I think going to admitted students' day at the schools, speaking with faculty and current students and alumni, and any funding (fingers crossed) that comes through will help me make the final decision this spring- but thank you so very much for your words. It's nice to hear that concerns beyond school rankings are valid.
Hi everyone! I got my acceptance last Friday (couldn't believe it, actually cried) and I'm really excited to have been accepted, but I'm still holding out for the other schools on my list. The price tag for Hopkins is a bit unnerving, tbh. What does everyone else have planned to pay for school?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people who've been accepted to the MPH program at John Hopkins, what was your turnaround time (i.e. verification date to acceptance date)? I'm on pins and needles!
For people who've been accepted to the MPH program at John Hopkins, what was your turnaround time (i.e. verification date to acceptance date)? I'm on pins and needles!
For me, I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/1 (and received a same-day email from Hopkins "Thank you for submitting..." and then an email on 11/2 with the password for my personal portal), but it wasn't verified until 11/8. I checked my personal page on 12/30 (after seeing someone on here say they had heard that day) then got the actual decision email on 12/31, with a follow-up "Congrats" email on 1/3.
Hope that helps 🙂
2 months for me.For people who've been accepted to the MPH program at John Hopkins, what was your turnaround time (i.e. verification date to acceptance date)? I'm on pins and needles!
Hang in there, Last year a lot of acceptances came out on Feb 1st
For me, I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/1 (and received a same-day email from Hopkins "Thank you for submitting..." and then an email on 11/2 with the password for my personal portal), but it wasn't verified until 11/8. I checked my personal page on 12/30 (after seeing someone on here say they had heard that day) then got the actual decision email on 12/31, with a follow-up "Congrats" email on 1/3.
Hope that helps 🙂
Thanks! I appreciate the info. And congratulations on your acceptance. 🙂
2 months for me.
Hang in there, Last year a lot of acceptances came out on Feb 1st
I'll do my best. 🙂 Thanks for the info and congratulations on your acceptance.
Hey All,
Just a reminder to apply for the new Bloomberg Fellowships for all those who qualify.
A great opportunity to receive a full tuition scholarship!
Deadline: January 31 2017
http://www.jhsph.edu/about/bloomberg-american-health-initiative/fellowships/index.html
Just a reminder to apply for the new Bloomberg Fellowships for all those who qualify.
A great opportunity to receive a full tuition scholarship!
Deadline: January 31 2017
http://www.jhsph.edu/about/bloomberg-american-health-initiative/fellowships/index.html
Has anyone gotten their SIS ID yet to file for financial aid?
Is anyone planing on attending admitted students Day March 10th or April 7th?
I'm going March 10th! You?
I'm already planning what to wear... look good, feel good, right? Hahahah
I will be at the accepted student day March 10th. Pretty excited. Really hoping to find out about Scholarships and finaid before then though!
I will be at the accepted student day March 10th. Pretty excited. Really hoping to find out about Scholarships and finaid before then though!
Same! It's so exciting to be accepted but looking at that price tag... 😱
Have you all settled on the concentration you want to study if you decide to attend?
I'm pretty set on Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research (Not sure if I want, but Global Environmental Sustainability & Health sound fascinating! I'll definitely try to take some electives from that concentration!
I'm pretty set on Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research (Not sure if I want, but Global Environmental Sustainability & Health sound fascinating! I'll definitely try to take some electives from that concentration!
I'm trying to decide between the MPH program at JHU vs. Harvard's online/on campus MPH in Epidemiology. My research interest mainly focuses on physical activity and health.
The reason I applied the online/on campus MPH program at Harvard is that it allows me to take care my family while I am studying. But I do have some concern about an online degree.
I did not find many discussion and information about this degree program at Harvard.
Besides, currently I suspend from my job and am not sure if this unemployed condition would make it difficult to do the practicum near my family.
For Hopkins, my reservation is its tuition fees and the living expenses for relocating to Baltimore.
Really difficult to make a decision!
The reason I applied the online/on campus MPH program at Harvard is that it allows me to take care my family while I am studying. But I do have some concern about an online degree.
I did not find many discussion and information about this degree program at Harvard.
Besides, currently I suspend from my job and am not sure if this unemployed condition would make it difficult to do the practicum near my family.
For Hopkins, my reservation is its tuition fees and the living expenses for relocating to Baltimore.
Really difficult to make a decision!
Anybody get the email to connect on LinkedIn and FB? I clicked the FB link but it says that the page doesn't exist or I don't have access to it. Anybody else seeing that?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody get the email to connect on LinkedIn and FB? I clicked the FB link but it says that the page doesn't exist or I don't have access to it. Anybody else seeing that?
JK the link works now!!
Hey everyone, going to join the crowd! I'm thinking of going to the Admitted Student Visitors Day on March 10th. I will probably have more questions as more decisions at other programs come out for me. I'm so excited!
Congrats!! I'll see you March 10th 🙂
Hey everyone, going to join the crowd! I'm thinking of going to the Admitted Student Visitors Day on March 10th. I will probably have more questions as more decisions at other programs come out for me. I'm so excited!
Congrats! When did you submit your application to Hopkins?
I submitted on 11/30.Congrats! When did you submit your application to Hopkins?
I submitted on 11/30.
Thanks! Was it verified that same day?
I believe it was verified on 12/02, not 100%, though.Thanks! Was it verified that same day?
Officially registered for the March 10th Admitted Students Day.
I believe I will end up in leadership and management. However, it seems like you only need a handful of classes for a concentration.
Have you all settled on the concentration you want to study if you decide to attend?
I'm pretty set on Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research (Not sure if I want, but Global Environmental Sustainability & Health sound fascinating! I'll definitely try to take some electives from that concentration!
I believe I will end up in leadership and management. However, it seems like you only need a handful of classes for a concentration.
Have you all settled on the concentration you want to study if you decide to attend?
I'm pretty set on Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research (Not sure if I want, but Global Environmental Sustainability & Health sound fascinating! I'll definitely try to take some electives from that concentration!
I believe I will end up in leadership and management. However, it seems like you only need a handful of classes for a concentration.
I'm thinking Social & Behavioral Sciences or Women's Health.
I'm also thinking about doing a certificate in addition to a concentration - there are so many different things to choose from: Health and Human Rights, Bioethics, Health Disparities... and those are just a few of them!!
Did anyone ever get an email from the financial aid department after receiving admission? No ones contacted me, and I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing right now haha
I think that comes towards the end of this month, if I'm not mistaken. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
I might come for both days just for the food lol jk. I have family in VA, so I'll try to visit them around the March admitted student day, so it's a two-in-one.
Anyone hear yet about the Sommer Scholarship or any merit based grants?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NopeAnyone hear yet about the Sommer Scholarship or any merit based grants?
Waiting for money details is driving me up the wall! Losing hope fast, ha.Nope
I called the MPH office today, and they told me we will be notified via email late Feb if we received a merit scholarship.
Anyone heard back for Merit anything?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 36
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 5K