Hi there! I am an applicant for the 2017 school year and am considering JHU, Columbia, and Yale MPH programs. My concerns about JHU are exactly the same as yours--I am considering Yale for this reason. I would love to chat with you about where you are 1 year later and how you feel about your decision! Let me know if we can chat.
Yeah I'd be happy to- Yale really disappointed me with financial aid - so I tossed them out. They tend to give need based aid out if you are coming straight from undergrad- otherwise forget about it. Merit scholarships are few and far between. They are also one of he most expensive schools of public health. 90k for tuition alone!! There were many other reasons why I settled on JHU besides finances, but finances were definitively a deciding factor. For me, going to JHU was the same cost as attending my state university, with a much better job outlook.
Some other selling factors for me:
1. Their commitment to community service and social justice - This was foundational to my undergraduate education and something I was seeking to incorporate into my graduate work.
2. You can take classes for letter grade OR pass/fail -At Yale there are no letter grades. This may not be an issue for someone who doesn't plan on advancing on to a PhD or MD, but I hope to. I like that at JHU you have the option to do either.
3. Research opportunities - I was worried I wouldn't have the chance to engage in research, but everyone I've talked to has said and provided examples why that simply is just not the case at JHU.
4. The cohort - Yale (I'm not sure about Columbia) is heavily skewed towards students straight from undergrad, whereas JHU's MPH program requires that you have at least two years of full-time work experience. People have had such interesting starts to their career at JHU! (Nothing against students straight from undergrad-I just think it's a different experience). Roughly half of JHU's incoming class are MDs or medical students. Likewise, about half are not American citizens. I wanted a more diverse, global education.
5. Location - I love the Baltimore/DC area and I don't plan on living in NYC, which is the closest city for Columbia (obviously) & Yale. Granted name recognition of both of these universities means you do not have to stay in these locations, but for internships while in school and job interviews think it will be easier to be in the DC area.