MPH Johns Hopkins MPH 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I called the MPH office today, and they told me we will be notified via email late Feb if we received a merit scholarship.

I don't remember exactly where now, but somewhere on the JHU website I read that merit based scholarships would be given out in Mid-March
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Didn't realize anyone on here had heard back yet, do you mind sharing details? Was this a Sommer Scholarship?
Thanks! Nope not the Sommer scholarship. I'm not entirely sure on the details, but they said that I was going to receive merit based funding through a grant, so I guess that could technically be different than the rest of merit based awards since its specifically funded through a grant.
 
Thanks! Nope not the Sommer scholarship. I'm not entirely sure on the details, but they said that I was going to receive merit based funding through a grant, so I guess that could technically be different than the rest of merit based awards since its specifically funded through a grant.
Are you MSPH or MPH? Are the same scholarships available to both?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone posted on the Regular Fall 2017 thread that we are supposed to fill out the Fin. Aid form as if we receive no aid. Has anyone done this?
 
Did you just put 12 hours for each segment? I just don't want to mess this up, lol.
I followed whatever that person in the thread said to do. I think I put 16 hours? Just because there are a certain number of terms and certain number of credits we need, plus if we wanted extra. I think they'll be understanding if we mess it up. Money stuff is difficult :laugh:
 
I spoke to FinAid office this morning. Anything 12+ counts as full time, is treated the same by them. They said put 0 for scholarships, it can always be updated after we receive them if we do. I put 16cr for all terms except winter, where I put 0. Hope this helps!
 
Hi all, just wanted to update the group with info I got from the financial aid department. I think this is for federal financial aid stuff (loans/work study/etc).

"We process and award students in the order in which we receive documents. When an award package is ready for you we will send you a notification email; typically approximately two to four weeks after the new student deadline [of March 15th, 2017]."

I think it's kind of crazy that all of these schools expect us to make a decision so soon after getting financial aid packages and visit days, but at the same time, I get that it must be really difficult for them to figure this all out.
 
Just called. Was told I would be called back later today with more information. Apparently even merit scholarship notification is rolling, so not everyone will hear at the same time.
Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to do that and reporting back. It's much appreciated 🙂
 
WHELP, was just told I was reviewed for scholarships, but was not awarded one... Really bummed because stats-wise I figured I was in a good place for merit aid. Harvard is looking better and better
I'm sorry to hear that! I'll be visiting Hopkins for their ASD in 2 weeks, but if I'm not awarded a scholarship, I probably won't go. I'm in the same boat as you but with Columbia (haven't heard from Harvard yet).
 
WHELP, was just told I was reviewed for scholarships, but was not awarded one... Really bummed because stats-wise I figured I was in a good place for merit aid. Harvard is looking better and better
That's a bummer, sorry to hear that. But I guess it's better to know that now than 2-4 weeks from now :shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just for clarification, you can call and ask about Merit awards? Also, do you think need-based aid will be similar across all programs? Are you guys not anticipating need-based aid from Hopkins?
 
Just for clarification, you can call and ask about Merit awards? Also, do you think need-based aid will be similar across all programs? Are you guys not anticipating need-based aid from Hopkins?

No idea about need based, but I'm guessing tons of loans is the standard, and not need based grants. I called and asked about merit.
 
Hi - this is a newbie question but who do you call re: whether you are being considered for a scholarship? Is this the financial aid dept or someone within MPH dept itself?
 
Hi - this is a newbie question but who do you call re: whether you are being considered for a scholarship? Is this the financial aid dept or someone within MPH dept itself?

Here is exactly what I did

1) Called MPH Office
2) Asked if they know about merit scholarships yet
3) Said yes when the nice lady offered to look at my app to see if I was reviewed for scholarship

She called me back and said I was reviewed, but not given a merit scholarship. No idea about other stuff.

Hope this helps!
 
Did many people apply for the Bloomberg Fellowship? It'd be awesome to receive that award.

I did, but I seriously doubt more than a small subset of MPH applicants applied for it. There are 50 fellowships for the 300ish MPH students (part-time and full time) that matriculate in June. I'd be shocked if they received more than 80-100 serious applications. 1) I can't imagine many full-time MPH applicants actually have the required organizational relationships. The program seems more aligned with part-time students...and there are far fewer part-time students compared to full time. Also, 2) the fellowship program was announced rather late in the application cycle and 3) applications consisted of seven essays. In my mind, # 1-3 suggest a small applicant pool.
 
Anyone on this thread interested in biostats and accepted to both Harvard and Hopkins? Was just curious about opinions regarding these programs and what was influencing your decision.
 
Did many people apply for the Bloomberg Fellowship? It'd be awesome to receive that award.
I applied - I'm unclear on whether they are actually awarding 50 this year, as there is a phrase somewhere on the website that they hope to award 50 as the program matures. The odds are still good, considering not that many people would qualify, although my expectations are tempered by the fact that I am competing PhD/MD/DDS -MPH students along with all you fine and highly qualified folks. Excited to see who here gets it!
 
Student Visitor Day is around the corner and I know nothing about where I stand financially if I go to JH. This is kinda infuriating. If only I had qualified for the Bloomberg Fellowship
 
Student Visitor Day is around the corner and I know nothing about where I stand financially if I go to JH. This is kinda infuriating. If only I had qualified for the Bloomberg Fellowship

You'll have to let us know if they discuss scholarships/Bloomberg Fellowships. I am going on 4/07.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who got their financial aid notification, how were you notified it was available? Did it come in an email? Did you look on SIS?