June 18, 2009 MCAT Official Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is just a post for all of us out there who are taking the June 18, 2009 MCAT Test!

First of all, I have been trying for an hour to get in, but the MCAT Registration site says

"Thank You for Your Patience" blah blah blah... wait for your turn!

Anyone else getting that out there?

*** UPDATE: Just got off the phone with MCAT folks and they said not to leave the webpage, or else you will lose your spot and they will open the registration link before noon.

********************** UPDATE 2: I just got in after having waiting since 8:05 AM this morning EST. I had turned on both my laptops and both the home computers. Just wait and you will get in. So, registered at 10:40AM

Once you sign in, everything is just normal! good luck!

*************************** AFTER TAKING TEST---

So friends, took the MCAT on June 18th @ 2PM

I signed in at 1:20PM, but was seated at 2:15PM, they had computer issues, but there were people who came after me and they went ahead of me, made me kind of nervous.

Overall, I felt okay, not good and not that bad.

PS - Some parts were good, but OMG, there were some where I was like, what the hell is this?

VR - WTF? Where do these passages crop up from? They are the most random passages. The one about Thoreau, Whitman was the most awkward one. However, the stupid passage on sperm whale topped in insanity and utter rubbish.

WR - The second prompt that related to dishonesty and friendship. How weird and awkward? I ended up writing about prostitution.

BS - O.M.G.! This was hard! This was harder than the PS in my view. There were some passages that were short, like 2 of them. But, there were one or two that were just tooooo long and weirdly detailed. The one with Colcine Acid or something like that that was injected into the mice, what the hell was that??

On Practice AAMC

PS - 8 to 10
VR - 9 or 10
BS - 9 to 10

Real MCAT Prediction - NO CLUE!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
8 am tester:

Practice Scores:
AAMC3: 33
AAMC4: 34
AAMC5: 35
AAMC6: 35
AAMC7: 35
AAMC8: 36
AAMC9: 36
AAMC10: 35

Feelings right after test:
I walked out of the room fairly confident that I did well in VR (strangely) and BS. I thought PS was very challenging with those weird lens and parabolic mirror questions. This was the first time I sat down and finished a Writing section, and I had no opinion about it.

Prediction:
I figured I got a 35-36.

Actual score:
38Q - 14PS, 11VR, 13BS

Comments:
I was shocked to see that I scored a 38, especially since none of my AAMCs were higher than 36. And the fact that I got a 14 in PS, which I thought was the hardest section, completely blew my mind. I thought I would actually do better in VR than an 11, but I'm not complaining. BS score seems about right. I am fine with the Q in Writing.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my score. Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted.

Members don't see this ad :)
8:00 AM administration

Composite Score - 32M
PS 11
VR 11
BS 10

AAMC Practice Tests
30 - #3
33 - #4
33 - #5

Average = 32

The PS and VR were pretty representative of the AAMC practice tests that I took. The biology and organic in the BS section were much more difficult than the AAMC exams in my opinion.

I didn't practice for the writing section at all, and my keyboard at the test center had issues. The 'S' key only worked about 1/3 of the time, and I didn't realize it until I had banged out the first essay. I spent the remainder of the time correcting the missing letters in my essay. For the second one, I was a little flustered by the experience, and I wrote a pretty basic response.

I felt awful about the BS after the exam, and I'm actually amazed at my score. I was prepared to be satisfied with an 8 on BS.

I took this MCAT without any organic chemistry or college level physics (I've been taking them this summer), and I'll be taking my second semester of biology this fall. Considering this handicap, I am very pleased with the results.

Prep:
I used Examcrackers for Biology, Verbal, and Organic (only reviewed about 1/2 the organic material). I used Nova for physics. I had limited time to prepare due to course load and working a full time job.

seriously? we don't treat people like that here -- do you need to go back to grade school and re-learn manners?

2pm is up

6/18
28P (8/8/12 thank god for biology). I am happy with it. It will get me in somewhere.

1/31
26N (9/8/9)

Last edited:
Pre-test practice average: 32.5 (for AAMC tests, higher on Kaplan tests)
Post-test feelings: 30
Actual scores:
VR: 12
PS: 11
BS: 11
WS: S
Total: 34S

I'M SO ECSTATIC. :banana:

pm scores are up... just checked mine:

VR12 PS11 BS10 WSQ, total = 33Q

I'm kinda disappointed as its lower than my highest aamc score, and my highest individual score for the sections (in practice) totaled to a 38, so I was hoping for more like a 36... or a 34 at least. I'm not happy but not completely disappointed either, for some reason to me there is a vast difference between a 33 and 34 and I was praying for a 34. oh well

ouch...time to bust out the pain killers and apply to 40 schools.

First time = May 2008:
28R: 9PS, 9VR, 10 BS

Second time = June 2009
29R: 8PS, 10VR, 11BS

edit: messed up verbal with PS...wow my PS sucks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2pm test

Practice test average
VR: 9
BS: 13

Actual Score
VR: 7
BS: 10
WS: N

No idea what the f*** happened in VR. I thought it was hard but seriously wtf. Same thing for BS, that was hard but at least I managed okay. I was sick that day and basically have been since the beginning of June, but seriously.

Guess I'm not applying till next application cycle. I doubt anyone will accept a 7.

I am so pissed right now.

FINALLY the torture is over...

2 PM

PS: 9
VR: 9
WS: O

Total: 29O

AAMC Practice Average: 29

Well I guess you really do get your average! I would have liked a 30+ but with my other stats I'm 90% sure it is good enough! I'm actually very relieved...

11VR 8PS 9BS

I really dont know how I'm feeling my aamc average was 29. so i guess this isnt a surprise. I only wish BS was my 11 because my science gpa is not too great

am test

VR 11
PS 9
BS 10
WS Q

30Q

PS was usually my best but BS worried me because i had forgotten most organic and hadnt taken organic II yet. or physics I so i was happy. i had convinced myself i was getting below a 27

2 pm tester:

Practice Scores:
My practice scores (excluding the diagnostic) ran from 33-37, mostly in the 33 range.

My PS average was 10.5ish (mostly 10s and 11s) - my worst section.
Verbal was around 13.
Bio was strange, mostly 13s the occasional 10 (weird, I know).

I felt pretty okay about the test, actually,

Prediction:
34? 35?

Actual score:
35Q - 11 PS 12 V 12 BS

Comments:
I am absolutely thrilled. Really really really thrilled! I'm not so thrilled I had to wait until 9:45 to find out, but eh, it's all good now.

Congrats to everyone who feels good about their scores. And to everyone who isn't satisfied, take some time off, but know you can tackle this exam!

8am exam

12 PS
9 VR
14 BS
WS: M

Overall: 35M

I thought I bombed the biological science section, but apparently I did not. I believe one of the orgo passages must have been experimental. I am kind of bummed about my writing sample because I thought my responses were at least O quality. Do you think schools will be able to overlook my lackluster writing sample if I am capable of explaining why I under preformed on the writing sample? I do not think a 35M warrants a retake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AAMC Practice - 35

So here's my dilemma

I took the 8am Exam

VR-8
PS-14
BS-11
Writing-O

My verbal score is 8

I want to get into a "decent" school, is 8 too low?

practice avg: 8 ps, 10 bs, 8 vr

actual: 8 ps, 10 bs, 9 vr

wow, I'm so relieved. I'm probably going DO so I'm happy with 27P. I hate physics with a passion so I expected it to be low, that ps was a doozy.:idea:

aamc averages: 31.5

2pm: 11PS/9VR/11BS WS: L

A 31L wow!!! I'm soo happy!!

Felt bad about verbal...had to do the last 3 passages with about 20 min. left.

Overall I'm happy...but my bro won't let it go that I couldn't beat his 32...which was my goal lol.

August 2008 (AAMC avg: 31.5)
12 PS 10 VR 10 BS
32Q

June 2009 (AAMC avg: 34)
10 PS 11 VR 13 BS
34O

2 grade drop in writing! This matters since I'm in Canada. The 34 is marvellous, but O!!

Last edited:
aamc practice exams
VB - 8
PS - 13
BS - 10

actual exam
VB - 11
PS - 12
BS - 11
WS - O

have no idea how verbal worked out since i don't remember ever breaking 10 in practice

greatest day ever

2pmer:

9 PS
9 VR
11 BS
Q

Total: 29Q

An improvement from my previous two times of 26O and 26Q. I was expecting higher in PS but am not complaining. This should get me into one of the state schools here in Alabama. This was one point below my average for Kaplan.

VR: 10
PS: 10
Writing: N
31N

I'm fairly concerned about my writing sample.. N feels too low, but I'm not sure? My GPA is quite good (3.9), just not sure if I should retake based mostly on the writing sample.

I only took one practice exam and did not study enough for the rest of the exam, but I went up 2 points from that AAMC practice exam. I think I could improve on all points if I studied hard for an August test, but is it worth being that much later in the admissions cycle for maybe a 2-3 points and an O or P on writing? I'm not looking to get into elite schools or anything, but I'd rather not be in the very bottom tier either? Any opinions?

2pm

aamc practice average: ps- 14, bs- 13, verbal - 12

actual: ps- 15, bs - 13, verbal - 11, writing: R

So f'in relieved right now. I had no idea what to expect for my score. Time to do those secondaries I've been putting off for the past 3 weeks.

2PM:

Practice Scores:
VR: 7-8

I felt like some hillbillies made my drop my panties and squeal like a pig. Honestly, though, I felt like the PS was straightforward, the VR was completely a blurr. VR is the section that was going to make or break me. I don't know how in the world I came out with a 10. That was the highest I've ever scored on any VR section. Now for the BS, I normally walked out of the practice tests thinking like there might be six questions at the most that I wasn't sure about. On the real thing it was more like three entire passages where I didn't have clue.
Prediction:

Actual score:
32Q - 11 PS 10 V 11 BS

Comments:
So my BS went way down but my VR went way up. I couldn't be more ecstatic!!!

I'm a 2pm-er and just got my scores (finally!)

31P over all

VR - 10
PS - 08
BS - 13

I'm happy with overall score but still really annoyed with the 8 PS. This is my second try and I got all the same scores last year EXCEPT in biological sciences, which was the only score I didn't care if it improved. (last year I got a 29P 10VR/8PS/11BS)

Any advice on whether or not I should bother re-taking AGAIN? I'm much happier with the 31 vs. 29 overall, but I'm disappointed that I STILL got an 8 on the physical sciences section! I'm stoked about the 13 BS but I was OK with the 11 and definitely focused much more on the physical sciences section then anything else this year.... any advice would be awesome!!

Thanks guys.

PS.... anyone else feel surprised by their Biological Sciences score? I was absolutely SURE that I was going to do WORSE in that section and BETTER in physical sciences when I left the test... funny how that worked out.

Hey guys i have a question: Do they take the best scores from 2 different tests or do they look at each test individually.

I ask because here are my two tests:

1) 11PS/ 6 VR/ 10 BS Q
2) 13 PS/ 8 VR/ 8 BS M

i got any shot at allopathic?

Hey guys i have a question: Do they take the best scores from 2 different tests or do they look at each test individually.

I ask because here are my two tests:

1) 11PS/ 6 VR/ 10 BS Q
2) 13 PS/ 8 VR/ 8 BS M

i got any shot at allopathic?

Recent usually. You got a 29M on this one? That's borderline, I would apply MD/DO combination.

not to sound bitter because i did well but not as well as i should (33R- 12PS 10VR 11BS) but how the hell do you people have time to study for this test. I work 40 hours a week the whole year to pay for school and all this stuff and could only afford to buy like two practice tests.

do your parents pay for all those tests and lessons or did all of you win the lottery??

also, if there are any other undergrads out there with kids and are worried about the issue coming up in interviews (something a pre-med counselor brought to my attention) send me a message. especially if your applying MD/PhD to top 20 schools.

2 pm exam

average aamc practice exams: 38

real exam: 36M

M WS: LOL?
15 PS
11 VR
10 BS

didnt do as well as i hoped, especially on bio section. thought pm test was harder than aamc or kaplan practice exams.

completely bombed on 2nd try. would taking it a 3rd time kill my chances?

This is what I did:

2008 year - 30 (aw... retake), 2nd take, 30 (IDUNNO?!)
2009 YEAR - Advisor advised me AGAINST a 3rd retake, unless I would significantly improve. I studied, learned, shed tears, cried, went emo, got wrecked, and got a 34.

In the end, it's your call. My amazing improvement considering the no-go from the previous year is VERY SURPRISING for me. Don't risk it unless you KNOW you can improve.

first take.. 8/22/2008: 22M
second... 6/18/2009: 25M

To tell you the truth i was actually expecting a 23 or 24. So i'm not too disappointed with the 25.

I've got a longshot at my in-state MD school, and a good shot at many DO programs (3.7 GPA).

So i'm not retaking and we'll see where fate brings me.

first take.. 8/22/2008: 22M
second... 6/18/2009: 25M

To tell you the truth i was actually expecting a 23 or 24. So i'm not too disappointed with the 25.

I've got a longshot at my in-state MD school, and a good shot at many DO programs (3.7 GPA).

So i'm not retaking and we'll see where fate brings me.

Good luck to you!

Well the wait is over, I'm glad its done. I'm somewhat pleased but a little bothered by my PS score

the spread was
PS: 9
VR: 11
WS: Q

Composite: 33Q

Last edited:
first: 26Q
second: 25R

i'm not sure what to do. i already submitted my primaries to 18 schools. i don't know if they would consider a retake.

The only one I felt good about after the test was the Bio (even though by this point I had a huge migraine). This was also the only section I finished on time. (AAMC Average 10)

After the test I felt like I bombed the verbal...I guessed on an entire passage...but considering my average was a 9... I guess I didn't drop that much.

I thought physical was a little harder than the aamc. I again had issues with timing forcing me to skim the last passage. (aamc average 10)

I was very surprised with my WS score. I thought I rambled throughout the whole thing...but I'm happy with it.

I think I might retake in September...

What do you guys think?

I have a 3.75 GPA.
Great EC.
A lot of health work/volunteer experience.
and I'm a research assistant.

Oh yea, I'm also hispanic, if that makes any difference.

I am definitely applying now with this score... will medical schools even consider me?

Last edited: