Just Graduated College, Ask Me (almost) Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Savages.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

were there times where you or other students you knew were stuck. as in no matter how hard they studied or tried they just couldnt do well in a subject, say like biology. how can you get out of that. how can you avoid that. how did you study. and what did you do. also could you break out wha pre reqs i should be knocking out as ech year goes on. like during my first year what should i take. i mean i know not to start off straight from organic chem but...

Members don't see this ad :)
were there times where you or other students you knew were stuck. as in no matter how hard they studied or tried they just couldnt do well in a subject, say like biology. how can you get out of that. how can you avoid that. how did you study. and what did you do. also could you break out wha pre reqs i should be knocking out as ech year goes on. like during my first year what should i take. i mean i know not to start off straight from organic chem but...
. =/= ?

LOL, I wish the people I knew in real life didn't have a filter like SDNers. Conversations would be much more interesting. :laugh:

But yeah OP. Wrong target audience. Most people here are on track to graduate, have graduated, or have matriculated. Though people that are targeting things such as the amount of times you retook the MCAT are just straight up mean.

Reactions: 2 users

To answer your question I know a lot of people that claimed they just could not do well in a subject no matter how much they studied. None of them got out of it. There are people that can get by with minimal studying, people that get by with hard studying, and people that can't perform well no matter how hard they study. Hopefully you're closer to the minimal studying side of the spectrum.

As for pre-reqs, use the search bar. Schools won't let you take organic chemistry first anyway. My very first semester I took Bio, Chem, and Calc sprinkled with easier classes. What you take semester to semester varies individually: talk to your advisor.

To answer your question I know a lot of people that claimed they just could not do well in a subject no matter how much they studied. None of them got out of it. There are people that can get by with minimal studying, people that get by with hard studying, and people that can't perform well no matter how hard they study. Hopefully you're closer to the minimal studying side of the spectrum.

As for pre-reqs, use the search bar. Schools won't let you take organic chemistry first anyway. My very first semester I took Bio, Chem, and Calc sprinkled with easier classes. What you take semester to semester varies individually: talk to your advisor.
thanks for the reply! unfortunately I will definetly be the people who have to study hard.. I got a B- in ap bio and i did kinda struggle. my tests sucked even though i studied for it. but i have to admit my studying methods werent the best because it was always kinda last minute and i always had to teach myself because i can never concentrate in a classroom setting.. especially if i have frineds in the class. (i suck i know lol) but i cant picture myself doing anything else in life other than a doctor either. so im scared. what if no matter how hard you try it just doesnt work out. then what. do you think tutors would make a difference

thanks for the reply! unfortunately I will definetly be the people who have to study hard.. I got a B- in ap bio and i did kinda struggle. my tests sucked even though i studied for it. but i have to admit my studying methods werent the best because it was always kinda last minute and i always had to teach myself because i can never concentrate in a classroom setting.. especially if i have frineds in the class. (i suck i know lol) but i cant picture myself doing anything else in life other than a doctor either. so im scared. what if no matter how hard you try it just doesnt work out. then what. do you think tutors would make a difference

If you are studying kind of last minute, you're not giving it your all. Chances are if you give it even 90% of your full capabilities, you will be fine. People that believe they don't do well no matter how hard they try are usually not trying hard enough, or not studying wisely. Look up guides on how to study, how to pay attention in class, how to take notes, and how to improve test-taking abilities. If you have truly given it your 100% and it still doesn't work out for you, find a different field that you would enjoy. I know that the previous sentence isn't something you want to read, but it is a sentence people must come to terms with should they come to that point.

And tutors can make all the difference and show you a perspective on the material that you have not seen before. Would definitely reach out to your school's tutor system if you're having trouble in any of your classes. Best of luck to you and enjoy your college years, they go by too fast.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are studying kind of last minute, you're not giving it your all. Chances are if you give it even 90% of your full capabilities, you will be fine. People that believe they don't do well no matter how hard they try are usually not trying hard enough, or not studying wisely. Look up guides on how to study, how to pay attention in class, how to take notes, and how to improve test-taking abilities. If you have truly given it your 100% and it still doesn't work out for you, find a different field that you would enjoy. I know that the previous sentence isn't something you want to read, but it is a sentence people must come to terms with should they come to that point.

And tutors can make all the difference and show you a perspective on the material that you have not seen before. Would definitely reach out to your school's tutor system if you're having trouble in any of your classes. Best of luck to you and enjoy your college years, they go by too fast.
thanks for being so kind! I appreciate it!

Are you aware theres a typo in your username? Its spelled "P-R-E-M-E-D" not "Surgeon".
I know you're busy with MS1 but if you get a chance, could you send me a supply of Kleenex and Chlorox spray bleach? I just blew something mucousy all over my keyboard. TYVM. :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Any advice for a sophomore?

Status
Not open for further replies.