Kansas c/o 2016

Started by LittleWiz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if this information is helpful but I'm flying to Kansas with my daughter for her interview (we live in NY) and we just booked flights last night for $238 round trip out of Newark, nj (EWR) into Kansas city airport (MCI). We used Travelocity and didn't have any kind of special coupons. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me😳
I appreciate it, but Newark is 4 hours East of me. I will just have to keep searching :-/ Thank you so much though!
 
Hey all! As I was just accepted into my IS, I'm going to have to go ahead and decline my interview...does anyone know the best way of doing that?I feel bad it's kinda last minute, but I really can't afford to fly out there if I already know where I'm going. I'm really hoping any of you still waiting will end up getting that spot!!
 
Hey all! As I was just accepted into my IS, I'm going to have to go ahead and decline my interview...does anyone know the best way of doing that?I feel bad it's kinda last minute, but I really can't afford to fly out there if I already know where I'm going. I'm really hoping any of you still waiting will end up getting that spot!!
I'm waiting for the same IS as you :-(. I am scared to buy my plane ticket for almost $500 and then find out I got accepted to a school before the KSU interview and waste the money, but the tickets are going up everyday :-/. I would say either call or email them. I think that's how I got a KSU invite, was from someone else declining. Hurry so someone else can get good news! 🙂 And congrats again on FL! Hope to join you! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's probably not too late. I just got mine on the 7th, and I think I saw someone else got one yesterday, so I'm sure someone will be happy as a clam soon! I do kind of worry though, that I got one of the "waitlist interviews". I'm wondering if I even have a chance. I would hate to spend $500 just to "experience the interview". Does anyone here think getting a last second interview is very promising or a waste of money? 😕
 
It's probably not too late. I just got mine on the 7th, and I think I saw someone else got one yesterday, so I'm sure someone will be happy as a clam soon! I do kind of worry though, that I got one of the "waitlist interviews". I'm wondering if I even have a chance. I would hate to spend $500 just to "experience the interview". Does anyone here think getting a last second interview is very promising or a waste of money? 😕

That has crossed my mind as well, but I think that it depends on how much they weight things overall and if they're still evaluating the academic and experience portions (in addition to an interview) when deciding on acceptances.

BUT it's an interview! And with it, we have a shot!!! 😀
 
That has crossed my mind as well, but I think that it depends on how much they weight things overall and if they're still evaluating the academic and experience portions (in addition to an interview) when deciding on acceptances.

BUT it's an interview! And with it, we have a shot!!! 😀
We just have to sell ourselves (not literally 😉) and win them over! Best of luck! See you there! 🙂
 
Anyone that still hasn't heard from Kansas, don't give up hope!!!! It isn't over yet!!!! 🙂 The more acceptances that come from other schools, the greater the chance that interviews will be declined and passed down the line. I had seriously lost all hope in hearing from them until I received an email unexpectedly. IT CAN HAPPEN! Don't stop believing. :luck::luck::luck:

I'm rooting for you!!!!! :xf::xf::xf:
 
Still waiting as well, as to those who are worried about being a waitlist interview - you're not, until you get the "Viable Applicant" e-mail and THEN get an interview invite. And last year I'm pretty sure a viable applicant got in. So don't give up hope, an interview is an interview.
Well yeah, I mean I have an interview on Jan 22nd, but I worry because I know I only got it due to other people denying the interview... just nervous I guess.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What time is your interview at? Mine is 2 p.m....I am really hoping that I can tour the school beforehand.
 
What time is your interview at? Mine is 2 p.m....I am really hoping that I can tour the school beforehand.

Mine is at 10:30. Are you going to the pizza party the night before? I was hoping to tour the school too... not sure when or if they'll do that :-/. I might do it myself. Does anyone ever share hotel rooms to cut the costs or is that really weird? I have no shame when it comes to saving money lol
 
🤣

They tour, but I'm not sure of the schedule. Hopefully there are SDNer's that are ambassadors and let us know what the plan is closer to that time --- or hopefuls that go this weekend! 🙂

I have no shame in saving money either. It will become important down the road if I have the opportunity to attend and pay OOS tuition...

edit: Yes, I am attending the pizza party!!! I'll probably drive down from MN though and get there right beforehand.
 
Well it looks like I won't get an opportunity to visit Kansas until perhaps next year. Got my rejection today. At first I had mild heart palpitations thinking it was an invite then got the sudden let down by the second line.

Here's to next year :xf::luck:

Good luck to everyone still facing interviews.
 
Limbo as in no rejection, no interview? I am. Kansas is one of my top choices, it's sad that they won't give me the time of day.. 🙁
 
Awww what is going on?!? 🙁 They're definitely missing out....
Good news will come your way soon!!! :luck:
 
I'm still waiting too. Are the rejections sent via snail mail? I'd really appreciate the efficiency of a email rejection. ::Sigh::
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still waiting too. GOSH this is torture! everyday I see either someone being rejected by KSU or invited for an interview.... which way will the dice roll...?😕
 
I had my interview on Sunday. Manhattan is gorgeous! I loved how hilly it is (as compared to Nebraska's flat plains). The student embassadors were very helpful in answering any questions people had, so I highly recommend attending the Saturday night pizza party.
As far as the interview is concerned, it was pretty laid back (this is my first interview at any vet schools so I don't have any previous experience). SDN was EXTREMELY helpful in preparing me for it (i.e. the interview feedback), so that's definitely something to check out beforehand.

My advice for interviewees, know your application! They asked some questions relating to mine, so I was thankful I studied it on the drive down.

Good luck to all interviewing! :luck:
 
Good information, LittleWiz!

Merry Christmas everybody! Here's to hoping for the limbo to end well.....
 
Thanks LittleWiz!!!! 🙂

I'm so thankful that we don't have to send fall grades....every little bit of $$$ counts!
 
🤣

They tour, but I'm not sure of the schedule. Hopefully there are SDNer's that are ambassadors and let us know what the plan is closer to that time --- or hopefuls that go this weekend! 🙂

I have no shame in saving money either. It will become important down the road if I have the opportunity to attend and pay OOS tuition...

edit: Yes, I am attending the pizza party!!! I'll probably drive down from MN though and get there right beforehand.

The way they usually do it is there are a bunch of student ambassadors hanging around during interviews, so whenever a few people (or even just one person) wants to go on a tour, someone will take them. If it seems that you are one of the last ones of the day, maybe just let them know that you want to go on a tour after, and I'm sure someone will make sure to wait until you are finished to take you.
 
Awesome! Thanks tuckervet! I don't imagine when you take the tour is a big deal, right? So I could tour on Saturday if I'm there early enough?
 
So I got a rejection e-mail on 12/18 and then a interview invite e-mail today! 😀They said "We apologize for the short notice, but some openings have become available for January interviews. You have been invited to fill one of these slots."
What a surprise! I am so shocked that I got an interview. I can't help but wonder if they got me confused with someone else. I emailed back saying that I accept the invitation and they said something like "We look forward to meeting you". So it must be a real invite! I am guessing more people declined interviews then they expected so they had to re-evaluate applicants. This is my second application cycle and first interview invite! 😀 My interview is January 7th so I am scrabbling to book a flight and hotel....Has anyone heard of this before, where someone has gotten a rejection and then an invite?
 
Congrats happydance!!! :highfive:Talk about great news right before Christmas!

They seem to be doing things differently then they have in the past (at least from what I can tell of past threads). It's just awesome that they're still scheduling and giving openings to people!!! 😀
 
So, just throwin this out there because desperate times call for desperate measures... I have a hotel room for both Jan 21 and Jan 22 at the Clarion (shuttle bus and bfast included), and if anyone needs a place either one or both nights, I'd be happy to split it with you. I have a room with 2 queens(not on purpose). I know not everyone is comfortable with stuff like that, but I am so poor that I do NOT CARE and would LOVE to split the cost with someone. Or 3 people, and I'll sleep on the floor :laugh:. If anyone is interested and still needs a place let me know. If not, I completely understand. Can't wait to meet everyone at KSU! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Received the rejection email on December 23rd. Good luck everyone!

"... From approximately 1,300 applicants for the veterinary Class of 2016 at Kansas State University, about 350 were selected based on composite GRE scores and science GPA’s for interviews. Unfortunately, you were not selected for an interview. If you have questions regarding how you can become a more competitive applicant for the Class of 2017, please feel free to contact Dr. Ronnie Elmore, Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Admissions, and Diversity at [email protected] after January 1, 2012.

We wish you the very best as you pursue your goal to become a veterinarian..."
 
So I got a rejection e-mail on 12/18 and then a interview invite e-mail today! 😀They said "We apologize for the short notice, but some openings have become available for January interviews. You have been invited to fill one of these slots."
What a surprise! I am so shocked that I got an interview. I can't help but wonder if they got me confused with someone else. I emailed back saying that I accept the invitation and they said something like "We look forward to meeting you". So it must be a real invite! I am guessing more people declined interviews then they expected so they had to re-evaluate applicants. This is my second application cycle and first interview invite! 😀 My interview is January 7th so I am scrabbling to book a flight and hotel....Has anyone heard of this before, where someone has gotten a rejection and then an invite?

This happened to myself and a few other people within my class. I'd received a letter around the mid december saying thanks for applying, you were a competetive applicant but we can't offer you a interview. Maybe you'll hear from us in the spring. I didn't really plan on hearing back, then a week later I got a letter telling me I was invited for an interview. So don't worry, its not a trick. The biggest step is getting the interview, after that you just have to sell yourself. Congrats on the invite.
 
For those of you who have interviews Jan. 21st, do you know when you guys are flying in? Since I know we're all cramped for money, I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to split a cab to the hotels from the airport that Friday night 🙂
 
Hi, I am interviewing with KSU January 21, 2012 and I was just wondering if anyone out there has any current interview info on the interview process with them!