Kansas c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing on the 21st! Flying in on the 20th and was thinking of renting a car since it's a 2 hour drive. Which airport are you flying in to?

For those of you who have interviews Jan. 21st, do you know when you guys are flying in? Since I know we're all cramped for money, I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to split a cab to the hotels from the airport that Friday night :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone interviewing at K-State. Try not to worry about the interviewing process too much. If you have gotten an invite then you have already convinced them that you are a great candidate. The interview is just a chance for them to get to know you a little better and vica versa. I found Kansas to be the best of all the interviews last year. The interviewers (at least mine) were really laid back.

Ahh I just realized I posted the wrong city, whoops! I'm flying into Manhattan.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks vacavet! I am very nervous for this interview. Anyone else interviewing on Jan 7th?

I'll be there the 7th! I'm kind of nervous too... i'm hoping if i keep telling myself how i'm lucky to have an interview it will lessen the nerves. I'm flying in from Texas to Kansas City then renting a car from there.

Hey truffleshuffle,

I was thinking about flying into Manhattan Regional Airport which is about 4 miles from the Best Western. What airport are you flying into? Are you driving the extra distance to save money on the airfare?

Hi Sunnyshine,

Thanks for the moral support. I am worried about overly stuffy interview committees. Do you remember how many members there were? How long was the interview? Was it a small or a large room? I'm trying to calm my nerves by picturing the interview beforehand.

Hi Sunnyshine,

Thanks for the moral support. I am worried about overly stuffy interview committees. Do you remember how many members there were? How long was the interview? Was it a small or a large room? I'm trying to calm my nerves by picturing the interview beforehand.

I'm not Sunnyshine, but I can answer this. :)

I had my interview on the 18th. There were three interviewers. My interview was 25 minutes, and I think typically they're 20-30 minutes in length. There were five sets of interviewers conducting interviews so I can't speak for others, but my interview was in a big auditorium-type room. It sounds scary, but they giggled along with me and made me feel quite comfortable. They even had a pitcher of water behind me in case my throat got dry! Very nice of them!

Best of luck in your interview!

I'll be there the 7th! I'm kind of nervous too... i'm hoping if i keep telling myself how i'm lucky to have an interview it will lessen the nerves. I'm flying in from Texas to Kansas City then renting a car from there.

Yeah I was going to fly into Kansas City too but I didn't want to rent a car. I've lived in Florida my whole life and I didn't know what the weather would be like. Sounds silly but it didn't want to have to drive if it is snowing out. Doesn't look like its supposed to be cold enough for snow but I am just overly nervous about the whole thing. So I am flying into Manhattan regional airport and taking the shuttle to my hotel. The flight is more expensive but I don't have to pay for a rental car this way.
BearKat, what time is your interview at?

Yeah I was going to fly into Kansas City too but I didn't want to rent a car. I've lived in Florida my whole life and I didn't know what the weather would be like. Sounds silly but it didn't want to have to drive if it is snowing out. Doesn't look like its supposed to be cold enough for snow but I am just overly nervous about the whole thing. So I am flying into Manhattan regional airport and taking the shuttle to my hotel. The flight is more expensive but I don't have to pay for a rental car this way.

HappyDance- do you have more information on the shuttle that you're taking to your hotel? Is it like an airport shuttle or something?

HappyDance- do you have more information on the shuttle that you're taking to your hotel? Is it like an airport shuttle or something?

Yeah, Manhattan regional airport's website says they have shuttles to a couple of hotels in the area, one of them is to the Clarion Hotel which was also one of the hotels listed in the email from Kansas that has a shuttle to campus. So I'm just gunna rely on the shuttles instead of renting a car.

Yeah, Manhattan regional airport's website says they have shuttles to a couple of hotels in the area, one of them is to the Clarion Hotel which was also one of the hotels listed in the email from Kansas that has a shuttle to campus. So I'm just gunna rely on the shuttles instead of renting a car.

Oh good to know! I am staying at the Clarion and was wondering how I was going to get there from the airport. I interview on the 22nd, but will be flying in the afternoon of the 21st for the "pizza party". Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

I will be flying into Kansas City on the 6th. I will be renting a car and driving the long drive to save some money on airfare. It shouldn't be too bad I have been looking at the weather reports and it appears like there shouldn't be any storms that weekend and I have driven in snow before so as long as it is a small storm I should be ok. Good Luck to everyone on their interviews! :luck:

I interview on the 7th at 1:00 pm. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interview at 3:45 on the 7th as well! Do you think this means group interview?! or more than one group of people interviewing candidates?

I interview at 3:45 on the 7th as well! Do you think this means group interview?! or more than one group of people interviewing candidates?

I haven't heard of KSU doing group interviews. Most likely it will be just you with three interviewers. There are usually several going on at the same time.

Good luck everyone interviewing next weekend:luck:

Thanks vetme. :) I was worried there for a second, I was not preparing for a group interview! I like the one on one type interviews better.

Can anyone at KSU currently comment on what you love about your school? I've looked around the website but can't find much about Kansas' unique-ness. I do love the fact that you can take electives starting 1st year. Anyone other awesome details you'd care to share? (I have my interview this weekend!!)

I haven't heard of KSU doing group interviews. Most likely it will be just you with three interviewers. There are usually several going on at the same time.

Phew, I was not prepared for that either!

Okay, so now I am looking at the interview feedback page for Kansas State, and 28 out of 64 people said their interview was in a group...

How do you prepare for a group interview?!

Could it be from older years (i.e. not recent)? Saw the exact same thing when I looked. Figure if you're in a group:

-Don't toot your horn too loudly (but don't be invisible either)
-Be polite, respectful to everybody in the room
-Figure it will be less like than a cross-examination (more casual)

Would be how I would wing it.

Can anyone at KSU currently comment on what you love about your school? I've looked around the website but can't find much about Kansas' unique-ness. I do love the fact that you can take electives starting 1st year. Anyone other awesome details you'd care to share? (I have my interview this weekend!!)

oo yes please :) I also was wondering how much interaction vet students have with animals in the three zoos k-state partnered up with? can any current k-state students answer this?

thanks! :D

Okay, so now I am looking at the interview feedback page for Kansas State, and 28 out of 64 people said their interview was in a group...

How do you prepare for a group interview?!

Katie8, I don't know what interview feedback page you are looking at, but I am pretty sure that if someone said it was a group interview they probably ment that they were interviewed by a group of people NOT with other interviewees in the room. It will just you and the admissions committee. Which consists of two faculty and one practicing veterinarian.
KSU's interview process is VERY relaxed. Just go in and talk like you are going to make friends, because that is what they will be once your admitted.

To answer the the question about what is great about KSU CVM. The Faculty is on YOUR side and will do everything to help you succeed. The teaching hospital is great too. The zoo staff is there for orientation, but then you have to actively seek that route if that is what you are interested in. You have 24 hour access to all the resources like the lab and your own study area!!

Hey guys. I'll be interviewing on the 7th as well at 9 am. I'm so nervous. I hate interviews even though my last one was laid back. I'm hoping Kansas will be as well.​

Katie8, I don't know what interview feedback page you are looking at, but I am pretty sure that if someone said it was a group interview they probably ment that they were interviewed by a group of people NOT with other interviewees in the room. It will just you and the admissions committee. Which consists of two faculty and one practicing veterinarian.
KSU's interview process is VERY relaxed. Just go in and talk like you are going to make friends, because that is what they will be once your admitted.

To answer the the question about what is great about KSU CVM. The Faculty is on YOUR side and will do everything to help you succeed. The teaching hospital is great too. The zoo staff is there for orientation, but then you have to actively seek that route if that is what you are interested in. You have 24 hour access to all the resources like the lab and your own study area!!
ohhh gotcha, I didnt think of it in that way and it makes sense. I was getting really nervous, I've never done a group interview before and was feeling good about my interview until I saw that! Thanks vetme!

Can anyone comment on the mentorship program? I was looking through that the other day and thought it sounded like a really awesome experience!

Can anyone comment on the mentorship program? I was looking through that the other day and thought it sounded like a really awesome experience!

Just to clarify... (I assume the first)
Are you talking about the three mentorships we are required to do before fourth year? Or are you talking about having a senior and a second year mentor?

We are required to do three mentorships each a minimum of a week long: one small animal, one mixed/large animal and one non-traditional. Some students think its silly because we are paying for the credits to do what we were supposed to do before vet school: get experience. Others like myself enjoy them because I decided to choose new places to get experience (most of my hours were at one seven-vet hospital). It can be paid or unpaid which means if you plan on going back to work with the hospital you've always worked at that counts. Once you are a student you can see the list of places that other students have done mentorships at if you need ideas. Some students knock them all out the first summer/breaks. Some wait until the very end so that they have more knowledge under their belt. I spaced mine out so that I did the ones that matter more later. (I'm actually finishing mine next week).
Examples of non-traditional: equine only, holistics, sale barn vet, anything in industry or pharmaceuticals, AI/ET facilities, etc.

The three mentorships, thanks for the info! I think it is a good idea (even if you are paying for it) because of the reasons you listed. Especially since once I am a veterinary student I will have a larger knowledge base to apply at a veterinary practice. I like the unique options you can choose since I know there are some areas that I could use more experience. Who knows, it might even change the direction of the career I chose to pursue!

Thanks jesskb

Just arrived in Kansas! Good luck everyone interviewing this weekend:)

I got here yesterday afternoon! Spending the day reviewing my app and questions. I was totally expecting it to be colder here, or at least a lot colder than Texas!

Good luck everyone!!

good luck to all interviewees! :)

Manhattan and I are going to be best friends.

I'm flying in on Friday the 20th and leaving on Monday the 23rd. Is anyone else staying the whole weekend, too?

(No, Vaca. Just you.)

Manhattan and I are going to be best friends.

I'm flying in on Friday the 20th and leaving on Monday the 23rd. Is anyone else staying the whole weekend, too?

(No, Vaca. Just you.)

I will be there the 21st through the 23rd... Might sleep in the airport the second night so I don't have to pay a second night in a hotel though :oops:... and no, I'm not kidding lol

Hey happydance, did you fly into Manhattan or did you fly into KCI and drive to Manhattan?

Hey happydance, did you fly into Manhattan or did you fly into KCI and drive to Manhattan?

I flew into Manhattan. Just got back to my hotel from a self-guided tour of the campus. The weather is beautiful today and the campus was really pretty, deserted but pretty. Now I'm settling down to practice some interview stuff....starting to get nervous again :( I really hope tomorrow goes well for me, I love this campus. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in summer and fall!

I flew into Manhattan. Just got back to my hotel from a self-guided tour of the campus. The weather is beautiful today and the campus was really pretty, deserted but pretty. Now I'm settling down to practice some interview stuff....starting to get nervous again :( I really hope tomorrow goes well for me, I love this campus. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in summer and fall!

I haven't had a chance to use the airport here, how was was it? I have only flown in and out of international airports.....

I haven't had a chance to use the airport here, how was was it? I have only flown in and out of international airports.....

It was very small, but nice and clean. Seemed almost brand new.

All set in Kansas City! Excited to drive over to K-state tomorrow!! Good luck to everyone else interviewing tomorrow! You'll rock their socks off :)

Does any body know if we have to let KSU know what hotel we are staying at in order for the shuttle to come around? I am staying at one of the hotels on the email list, so there should be a shuttle coming every hour on the hour starting at 7am. But I was near the front entrance this morning at 8am and I didn't see a shuttle come by. My interview is not till later today but I was wondering if I should call someone at KSU to make sure I have a ride there lol.

Does any body know if we have to let KSU know what hotel we are staying at in order for the shuttle to come around? I am staying at one of the hotels on the email list, so there should be a shuttle coming every hour on the hour starting at 7am. But I was near the front entrance this morning at 8am and I didn't see a shuttle come by. My interview is not till later today but I was wondering if I should call someone at KSU to make sure I have a ride there lol.

I know last year a few people had problems with the shuttles showing up on time, I would call and make sure. Good luck!!

Hi everyone. I still have not heard back from Kansas at all. Has anyone else not heard back yet?

Just got done with my interview. Please, KSU, give me an acceptance! :xf:

I'm crossin' my fingers for you too DVMDream:xf: How did the interview feel? Did they want to be your best friend or did you feel like they were grillin' ya?

I'm crossin' my fingers for you too DVMDream:xf: How did the interview feel? Did they want to be your best friend or did you feel like they were grillin' ya?

Thanks. I felt like a mix of the two. Some questions were laid back and others felt like they were grilling me. I got asked a couple large animal questions and I know nothing about large animals. So that was hard. I just hope I did well.

Thanks. I felt like a mix of the two. Some questions were laid back and others felt like they were grilling me. I got asked a couple large animal questions and I know nothing about large animals. So that was hard. I just hope I did well.

Do you remember who your interviewers were? You can PM me if you don't want to say on here.

Just finished up my interview. I think I stressed too much about it. The interviewers were really nice and even mentioned things on my application that I didnt go into too much detail (like hobbies of mine). We actually went over the 30 minutes (sorry to whoever was anxiously waiting outside) just chatting and one interviewer said that it was a good group today. So glad its over with.. and now hopefully wait for good news!! :xf: 1 down, 2 more to go...

Good luck everyone!!

Just finished up my interview. I think I stressed too much about it. The interviewers were really nice and even mentioned things on my application that I didnt go into too much detail (like hobbies of mine). We actually went over the 30 minutes (sorry to whoever was anxiously waiting outside) just chatting and one interviewer said that it was a good group today. So glad its over with.. and now hopefully wait for good news!! :xf: 1 down, 2 more to go...

Good luck everyone!!

Hope you hear good news BearKat17, and good luck on your other two interviews:luck:

Hope you hear good news BearKat17, and good luck on your other two interviews:luck:

Thanks so much! I really like KSU... it would be an amazing school to go to, as I'm sure you know

Hey everyone! I am embarassed to say I just found the forum! I didn't know I had so many people to freak out with! I am interviewing at KSU on the 21st and staying for the pizza party. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Good luck everyone and fingers crossed!:xf:

Hi, I know this is a lot to ask, but does anyone know how I can get my hands on a blank supplemental application from this cycle. I printed mine off and mailed it...I could have sworn that I saved the pdf, now I cannot find it!!!! Interviewing this weekend! any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :scared: