Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Patience is truly a virtue...II

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II! Hugs and kisses to the KCU adcoms :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II! super pumped! quick question for all who registered for their dates: I can't seem to find the Interview Tab once I click on the link in the email. all I see is the normal tab for the secondary application

Reactions: 1 user
Received an II today after being complete for 8 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
should have clarified from my earlier post: did anyone else experience this problem of not being able to find the interview tab or is something just glitching for me? wasn't able to call the office for help since it was after-hours today

should have clarified from my earlier post: did anyone else experience this problem of not being able to find the interview tab or is something just glitching for me? wasn't able to call the office for help since it was after-hours today
I had this issue when trying to schedule an interview on my phone. It worked fine when clicking the link using chrome on my macbook pro. Try a different browser. Also for me the link to the interview scheduling was to the right of the page, so don't scroll down, scroll to the right. IDK if this will work, but might as well try.

I had this issue when trying to schedule an interview on my phone. It worked fine when clicking the link using chrome on my macbook pro. Try a different browser. Also for me the link to the interview scheduling was to the right of the page, so don't scroll down, scroll to the right. IDK if this will work, but might as well try.

hmm, that's weird I tried like 3 different browsers and it still doesn't work lol guess I'll just have to call in the morning

Brace yourselves:

Grand Rounds emails are coming!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 12 users
ended up calling them and got it fixed; just a technical glitch =). Just wondering, how long after selecting an interview did people receive the confirmation email?

Members don't see this ad :)
So to current students: I know on their website they say if you get through the lotto system most of your rotations in KC or nearby, you may be required to go somewhere further...how likely is that? Do you have to go somewhere somewhere outside of KC for 3rd or 4th year rotations?

Hmm I am not sure if you interpreted that correctly. The lotto system determine your core site that you must stay at for third year and for some of fourth year. KC and Denver are regional sites and preceptor based so you will be driving around.

Last few years about 90+% received their top two choices.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hmm I am not sure if you interpreted that correctly. The lotto system determine your core site that you must stay at for third year and for some of fourth year. KC and Denver are regional sites and preceptor based so you will be driving around.

Last few years about 90+% received their top two choices.

Not sure if this has already been answered, but do students stay at one core site for the entirety of their third/fourth year?

For those that have interviewed, did your location preference come up and where you able to tell them you preferred the Kansas City campus. Now that I have an acceptance at another school, I wouldn't consider living in Joplin.

Not sure if this has already been answered, but do students stay at one core site for the entirety of their third/fourth year?

You stay at your core site for third year and a few rotations of fourth year!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

For those that have interviewed, did your location preference come up and where you able to tell them you preferred the Kansas City campus. Now that I have an acceptance at another school, I wouldn't consider living in Joplin.

No it didn't come up, so I would contact them before hand and just tell them which campus you would like to be considered for.

You stay at your core site for third year and a few rotations of fourth year!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the reply! Is there an option to do rotations in your home state during fourth year?

II! I scheduled today and there were two days that were much earlier than people were posting yesterday. You may want to check again if you would like an earlier interview. I decided to wait until 12/7.

II! I scheduled today and there were two days that were much earlier than people were posting yesterday. You may want to check again if you would like an earlier interview. I decided to wait until 12/7.
Wait really?? Damn I already scheduled for December. That's a bummer, I have a friend that's interviewing at the end of this month it would've been nice to save some money by splitting hotel rooms haha

Wait really?? Damn I already scheduled for December. That's a bummer, I have a friend that's interviewing at the end of this month it would've been nice to save some money by splitting hotel rooms haha
Yeah. There must have been a cancellation. Can't you switch your interview date? Most schools give you that option.

It didn't come up but I brought it up on my own during conversation. If it is an issue you should be able to address it with ease.

How is the quality of the Des Peres site in Stl @AlteredScale ? I'm from STL and id like to go back for year 3/4.

To all those who have received a II: Were you notified by email or did it just show up on the portal?

Question for those who were also accepted: did you receive any correspondents via snail mail, or was everything through email? So far I've only received emails.

Question for those who were also accepted: did you receive any correspondents via snail mail, or was everything through email? So far I've only received emails.

You'll get a copy of your acceptance letter in the mail. Everything else you get from the website.

*hopes that all these interview invites means the next batch of acceptances coming on Friday*

does the adcom review the interviewees in large batches, or do they go by interview date

I'm about to make a student-run FB page for the Class of 2021...

Reactions: 8 users
I got this school's invitation email (from Partricia Harper, if it makes any difference) for "students who show great potential", which offers fast decision and priority interview and scholarship consideration. Do they genuinely like me or is this sent out to anyone whose numbers qualify? A bit of thread-trawling seems to imply the latter. Also, how quick is a "fast decision"? I think their app due date is March (though I could've sworn I saw AACOM say May--do schools differ?), so would that mean I know whether I'm considered for a secondary/interview/accepted within 1-3 months? (I'd like to assume they stick to their word regarding the last two points.)

Sorry if these questions are noobish. I was focusing mainly on MD apps because I forgot my BCPM isn't very competitive for them right now... (At least that can be the fire under my butt, so to speak XD)

I got this school's invitation email (from Partricia Harper, if it makes any difference) for "students who show great potential", which offers fast decision and priority interview and scholarship consideration. Do they genuinely like me or is this sent out to anyone whose numbers qualify? A bit of thread-trawling seems to imply the latter. Also, how quick is a "fast decision"? I think their app due date is March (though I could've sworn I saw AACOM say May--do schools differ?), so would that mean I know whether I'm considered for a secondary/interview/accepted within 1-3 months? (I'd like to assume they stick to their word regarding the last two points.)

Sorry if these questions are noobish. I was focusing mainly on MD apps because I forgot my BCPM isn't very competitive for them right now... (At least that can be the fire under my butt, so to speak XD)
I got this not too long after getting my MCAT scores back. Submitted and there was definitely no fast decision. It took about 8 weeks for them to review me but I ended up getting an interview. I doubt it makes a huge difference but it probably does mean you have a good shot at an II if you submit.

So, I'm a little concerned about everyone saying this school is hard. like I get that all medical schools are hard, but just how significantly harder is KCU? I love this shcool, but I really don't want to be biting off more than I can chew by making a decision that puts me at a significantly harder school. Like compared to your average DO medical school, how significantly harder is the curriculum at KCU? can someone shed some light on this.

People just say that it's a hard school, but as a premed I don't even know how hard medical school is on average, let alone have the capacity to objectively compare one hard school to the other.

Can someone help a brother out? How much harder than your average school is KCU?

So, I'm a little concerned about everyone saying this school is hard. like I get that all medical schools are hard, but just how significantly harder is KCU? I love this shcool, but I really don't want to be biting off more than I can chew by making a decision that puts me at a significantly harder school. Like compared to your average DO medical school, how significantly harder is the curriculum at KCU? can someone shed some light on this.

People just say that it's a hard school, but as a premed I don't even know how hard medical school is on average, let alone have the capacity to objectively compare one hard school to the other.

Can someone help a brother out? How much harder than your average school is KCU?

There's a lot of busy work and the schedule can get stressful. This week one group has had a standardized patient encounter, a clinical scenario encounter, as well as Score 1 screening. That's three afternoons eaten away the week before a big respiratory path/pharm exam. But as said before, if you were asked to interview here it's because they 100% truly believe you can survive.

It's almost impossible to make comparisons across other schools since curriculums are different but so far I have yet to see another school run through a renal block in two weeks nor truly test students from minutiae in Big Robbins. It's nothing to be scared about, it'll help you out come time to review for boards and again, the numbers have shown this curriculum to work.

Zooming out I really don't believe kcu is some ghastly monster of a curriculum that just destroys everyone. It's med school, it's going to tough no mater where you go but kcu has high expectations to get you to where you want to go.

Reactions: 5 users

To add some explanation to some things that @AlteredScale said, SCORE 1 is where the entire class is loaded onto busses and sent to several different elementary schools in low-income neighborhoods to perform physical exams for free. SCORE 1 is a really cool program where we actually get to put what we learn in class to use with these kids who, a lot of them, don't get to see a physician very often. The problem, sometimes, is that the schedule seems to be extremely imbalanced. For example, some weeks we won't have anything scheduled except for lectures, and then the next week we will have class from 8am-noon, and then a competency (where we have to show the faculty that we know how to perform certain OMM treatments, which this in itself can take up to 6 hours to learn), osteopathic labs, anatomy labs (first year), standardized patient encounters, etc. Now, I am not saying that these things aren't needed. I think they are all very important to our education and help us to become better doctors, but when I have an exam on Monday covering 40 hours of lecture, I can't be losing my entire evening EVERY DAY the week before. I think spreading out these "extra" things would help a lot.

I think this is why some people say that KCU is "hard." The material is the same material you're gonna get at any medical school across the nation, and honestly I don't think that cutting corners in the material is what you want if you want to do well on boards and become a competent physician. Also, another reason that the curriculum seems packed together is so that they can give us more time to study for boards. On average, our school gets quite a bit more "dedicated" study time for boards.

And from a first year perspective, this week has seen a clinical medicine midterm, an osteopathic skill competency check off, a venipuncture lab, a standardized patient (for some) and a mandatory grand rounds. All before a cardiopulm lab practical Thursday and a cardiopulm midterm on Monday.

Some weeks really stack up, which is where the ability to prioritize tasks comes in wicked handy. Other weeks when you only have 20 hours of lecture seem like a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

There's a lot of busy work and the schedule can get stressful. This week one group has had a standardized patient encounter, a clinical scenario encounter, as well as Score 1 screening. That's three afternoons eaten away the week before a big respiratory path/pharm exam. But as said before, if you were asked to interview here it's because they 100% truly believe you can survive.

It's almost impossible to make comparisons across other schools since curriculums are different but so far I have yet to see another school run through a renal block in two weeks nor truly test students from minutiae in Big Robbins. It's nothing to be scared about, it'll help you out come time to review for boards and again, the numbers have shown this curriculum to work.

Zooming out I really don't believe kcu is some ghastly monster of a curriculum that just destroys everyone. It's med school, it's going to tough no mater where you go but kcu has high expectations to get you to where you want to go.

KCU's curriculum is one of the reasons I love this school; it allows you to overcome limits and reach your full potential. Board exams are going to be challenging. Saving lives is going to be intense. Better to pull your hair out early on than to freak out and regret later on.

Last edited:
To add some explanation to some things that @AlteredScale said, SCORE 1 is where the entire class is loaded onto busses and sent to several different elementary schools in low-income neighborhoods to perform physical exams for free. SCORE 1 is a really cool program where we actually get to put what we learn in class to use with these kids who, a lot of them, don't get to see a physician very often. The problem, sometimes, is that the schedule seems to be extremely imbalanced. For example, some weeks we won't have anything scheduled except for lectures, and then the next week we will have class from 8am-noon, and then a competency (where we have to show the faculty that we know how to perform certain OMM treatments, which this in itself can take up to 6 hours to learn), osteopathic labs, anatomy labs (first year), standardized patient encounters, etc. Now, I am not saying that these things aren't needed. I think they are all very important to our education and help us to become better doctors, but when I have an exam on Monday covering 40 hours of lecture, I can't be losing my entire evening EVERY DAY the week before. I think spreading out these "extra" things would help a lot.

I think this is why some people say that KCU is "hard." The material is the same material you're gonna get at any medical school across the nation, and honestly I don't think that cutting corners in the material is what you want if you want to do well on boards and become a competent physician. Also, another reason that the curriculum seems packed together is so that they can give us more time to study for boards. On average, our school gets quite a bit more "dedicated" study time for boards.

I love that they do the Score 1 for Health program. Mutually beneficial to both the students and the community. Awesome. I understand how it might make the curriculum more stressful at times though.

Reactions: 3 users
About how long post interview do they take to make a decision? I have a deposit due at another school on December 14th but don't interview here until the 6th. I really hate how early deposits are due...

Someone should pin all the med students' advice on the front page. :D

About how long post interview do they take to make a decision? I have a deposit due at another school on December 14th but don't interview here until the 6th. I really hate how early deposits are due...

So last I heard it was 4-6 weeks for decisions to be sent out. It sucks that deposits are due around that time for earlier acceptances and they aren't cheap deposits either.

I would def try and ask admissions and see if that timeline for sending out decisions will change by the time you go to your interview.

does the adcom review the interviewees in large batches, or do they go by interview date

Unknown. They keep that stuff under tight secrecy. I would assume that it isn't by interview day since some receive their decisions before others within the same interview date.

So last I heard it was 4-6 weeks for decisions to be sent out. It sucks that deposits are due around that time for earlier acceptances and they aren't cheap deposits either.

I would def try and ask admissions and see if that timeline for sending out decisions will change by the time you go to your interview.

So deposits are not due by December like a lot of other schools? It may be like a few weeks after we hear back?

This is from the KCU catalog:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December. 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted on or after May 15 will be asked for an immediate deposit

Are there payment plan options?