Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got the additional email info! Did anyone else also not get their Student ID Number? It says on mine "Your KCU student ID number is." and no actual number.

Members don't see this ad.

Also got the additional email info! Did anyone else also not get their Student ID Number? It says on mine "Your KCU student ID number is." and no actual number.

Lol same. I emailed them and let them know

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email with all the additional info and requested to join the FB group!!
+1! Did you get your student ID number in the e-mail? I received the e-mail like this:
Your KCU student ID number is . You will need your student ID for various steps of the registration process, such as paying fees and applying for financial aid, so keep this information handy.
Anyone else have this happen to them? :(

Reactions: 1 users
+1! Did you get your student ID number in the e-mail? I received the e-mail like this:
Your KCU student ID number is . You will need your student ID for various steps of the registration process, such as paying fees and applying for financial aid, so keep this information handy.
Mine is like that too. I'm sure they'll send out another email soon with this corrected!

Reactions: 1 user

+2! So excited to meet y'all potential classmates.

so I'm gonna be staying near the airport, any good food places that I should check out near there or are the good ones all in the city city?

I just got the email sent again...but it has a single letter as my ID number...I don't think that's correct...

Did you email admissions or did you just reply to that email?
I replied to that e-mail!

I just got the email sent again...but it has a single letter as my ID number...I don't think that's correct...
Same thing happened to me just now..the student ID seems to be a 9 digit number!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they sent me the email again with a letter as my ID # as well lollll

These students are REALLYY good at ping pong. All the stress from Robbins gets laid out on those ping pong tables, loll.

Interviewing on 12/7 and from NJ, think being this OOS would affect me? really look forward to interviewing :)

The period after you interview at a school you really like is very excruciating. I interviewed on the 18th and it feels like an eternity has passed since I was in KC but really it's just been 9 days. I'm particularly nervous because during my interview i did all the talking, the guy I interviewed with (Gary Ballam) said like two sentences and I did all the rest. Couldn't really get a read on him or how things were going during the interview so idk what to expect. I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous during the whole thing.

The strongest component of my application is easily my MCAT. Does KCU tend to really like applicants with strong MCAT scores?

Interviewing on 12/7 and from NJ, think being this OOS would affect me? really look forward to interviewing :)

Since it's a private school, OOS has very little to do with acceptance. There are a lot of us Northeastern's here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've got a question about the clinical rotation sites for this school.

I know that there are a lot to choose from in 11 different states, but how much say would I have as a student in where I do my rotation? Is it pretty much my choice where I go or do I have no say in it whatsoever and the faculty pick for me and tell me "You're gonna go here."?

Also, lets say i go to Wisconsin for my clinical years for example. Will I spend all two years there, at the same hospital or will I end up going there and also having to go to a bunch of different rotation sites, possible in a few other states?

@AlteredScale, I know you're a second year student here, could you help shed some light on some of this stuff?

The period after you interview at a school you really like is very excruciating. I interviewed on the 18th and it feels like an eternity has passed since I was in KC but really it's just been 9 days. I'm particularly nervous because during my interview i did all the talking, the guy I interviewed with (Gary Ballam) said like two sentences and I did all the rest. Couldn't really get a read on him or how things were going during the interview so idk what to expect. I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous during the whole thing.

The strongest component of my application is easily my MCAT. Does KCU tend to really like applicants with strong MCAT scores?

omg I had him for my interview too...

I've got a question about the clinical rotation sites for this school.

I know that there are a lot to choose from in 11 different states, but how much say would I have as a student in where I do my rotation? Is it pretty much my choice where I go or do I have no say in it whatsoever and the faculty pick for me and tell me "You're gonna go here."?

Also, lets say i go to Wisconsin for my clinical years for example. Will I spend all two years there, at the same hospital or will I end up going there and also having to go to a bunch of different rotation sites, possible in a few other states?

@AlteredScale, I know you're a second year student here, could you help shed some light on some of this stuff?

Its a match process. Everyone votes for their top three sites and the computer finds the best variation to ensure everyone gets their pick. Some still wont. There are specific rotations fourth year you will need to do there but beyond those you can go wherever VSAS lets you go.

In regards to if kcu likes highmcat scores, I am sure they do. But your entire app is looked at again after the interview.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Its a match process. Everyone votes for their top three sites and the computer finds the best variation to ensure everyone gets their pick. There are specific rotations fourth year you will need to do there but beyond those you can go wherever VSAS lets you go.

In regards to if kcu likes highmcat scores, I am sure they do. But your entire app is looked at again after the interview.

I wouldn't say "ensure everyone gets their pick" cause this doesn't always happen. Sometimes people "don't match" meaning they didn't get their top 3, so they have to take their pick of what is left over. However, I think most people get one of their top 3 choices.

I wouldn't say "ensure everyone gets their pick" cause this doesn't always happen. Sometimes people "don't match" meaning they didn't get their top 3, so they have to take their pick of what is left over. However, I think most people get one of their top 3 choices.

ugh fine. edited your highness. ;p

So the current accepted students only "S" as their student ID, right? Or did any one email them back and get an actual student ID?

Wondering how good my chances are of getting an Interview/Acceptance. I was complete 9/28 31 MCAT, 3.6 GPA. I know that in previous years that they liked to have their class close to filled by December, and I'm worried that I won't be reviewed in time to get an interview before then. Anybody have any idea on whether that will hold true this year?

Check your email peepz. Just got the email again with the correct ID number!

Hoping I get some good news today! Interviewed 10/12

Hoping I get some good news today! Interviewed 10/12
lool i've been refreshing my email and this forum all day. Last friday it looked like it came out around 5pm (EST) and the week before that i think it was morning time based on the forum. I'm going to keep the hope up for another hour :(

Interviewing 12/6. You think the chances are slim for acceptance around this time?

Interviewing 12/6. You think the chances are slim for acceptance around this time?
They just started sending out acceptances this month and they have 400 seats to fill between two campuses. You may get the Joplin campus, but I think you definitely have a chance!

To current students, would you advise getting a mac or windows for a new laptop?

To current students, would you advise getting a mac or windows for a new laptop?

You'll hear from both sides of this. Some students chose PC over mac. I have apple/mac everything and love the ease of communication between everything and the greater stability of the OS. Ultimately you can get by with either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The school does there best to create a strong support system while you start. Sef the first semester can be quite a shock but so far eveyone survives! Your seniors will also be there to tutor you and tive you tips to survive!

The curriclum is really designed in a way to ensure that you have a solid base of knowledge so you can understand multi system pathophysiology come second year. The pathologists second year are unique and do their very. est go help you understand all the diseases you need to know for boards.

I'm going to have to call out AlteredScale on this.
Please do not lie to the prospective students.. I always want to stop the student ambassadors leading the nervous looking pack of prospies and tell them to stop and leave.

Sorry, but not everyone survives. There have been much over a dozen students from the second year class who have either dropped or are repeating or are taking a leave of absence. AKA, NOT EVERYONE SURVIVES.
Almost 10% of the class did not continue on to the second year, this year.

The student affairs department is worried about the second year's mental health so much as to send out a Burnout Survey to the students..yes, our curriculum is difficult, and it is actually putting a toll on our mental wellness.

The pathology professors do an absolute horrible job lecturing the material. They do not ask questions on the exam that were covered in lecture. So yes, AlteredScale is right that Robbins is your textbook. And so is self-learning. If you interviewed here and ever took a peek at the second year's lectures, you would notice that less than 30 students attend the lectures. Maybe contemplate on why only 30 students out of a class of 250 are attending lectures.

Also, be advised y'all.... the Administration reads these threads. So be careful what is posted and take everything with a grain of salt. Read between the lines. If people are saying it's a difficult curriculum, they probably want to say more, but they're getting paid to not.

Let's just not lie to the prospies. Thanks.

Please do not lie to the prospective students.. I always want to stop the student ambassadors leading the nervous looking pack of prospies and tell them to stop and leave.

Sorry, but not everyone survives. There have been much over a dozen students from the second year class who have either dropped or are repeating or are taking a leave of absence. AKA, NOT EVERYONE SURVIVES.

The student affairs department is worried about the second year's mental health so much as to send out a Burnout Survey to the students..yes, our curriculum is difficult, and it is actually putting a toll on our mental wellness.

The pathology professors do an absolute horrible job lecturing the material. They do not ask questions on the exam that were covered in lecture. So yes, AlteredScale is right that Robbins is your textbook. And so is self-learning. If you interviewed here and ever took a peek at the second year's lectures, you would notice that less than 30 students attend the lectures. Maybe contemplate on why only 30 students out of a class of 250 are attending lectures.

Also, be advised y'all.... the Administration reads these threads. So be careful what is posted and take everything with a grain of salt. Read between the lines. If people are saying it's a difficult curriculum, they probably want to say more, but they're getting paid to not.

Oh boy...look no one is "getting paid" by not saying the curriculum is hard.

If you go back to my post history on this thread I have definitely let them know how difficult the curriculum is. And my statement about the pathologists teaching us and doing their best does NOT mean "they are the best" at teaching, it's the fact that they have a passion to do so and it's the fact that all three of them are willing to help you at anytime if you have trouble with the material. And in regards to if the teaching is bad or not, that Is entirely subjective. The fact of the matter is they do lecture and hold strong CIS sessions to integrate what you are learning in Robbins. So no, I can argue against lying to the people on this thread.

Burnout and mental issues occur at every medical school so I'm not sure why you'd try and exact OUR curriculum as being the curriculum to slay ones mental well being. In fact, the positive outlook on this is that for those who have had struggles with burnout have had an ability to reach out to the school for help. The interim dean tells every interviewer that this curriculum is hard. We tell them that the curriculum is hard. Every interviewee knows that and so this whole idea that I'm somehow pulling the wool over their eyes here is baffling to me.

Lastly, yes not everyone will survive. There is a bottom of the class. But just remember that again, the school allows you to remediate a failed course and will adjust your schedule for boards should you need to do so. In fact, if you are at the bottom of the class the school will want you to stay in KC to provide you with direct support for shelf exams.

By all means kcuanon, feel free to come run up to the interview day room and scream at the top of your lungs "don't come here!". Just know it'll come with consequences in doing so.

Yes admin watches this thread and I am 99% sure they know who I am but you are allowed to discuss the good the bad and the ugly of your experience at the school. It's an open public forum. There is no censorship here and we (as moderators) will never allow that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
really enjoyed the school, and liked the city even more!

I haven't even received an II, but the board scores and match list speak for themselves for me. I'll gladly suffer through 2 years of hell if the results are scoring high enough on the boards so that I can do what I want for the next 40+ years of my life.

Reactions: 4 users

You want to tell the prospective students to stop and leave based on what grounds? What is so horrendous about this school, is it too difficult, is it too demanding, not everyone survives? It is med school, it is meant to be difficult and rigorous, not everyone is going to survive. Just because you did great in undergrad does not guarantee that you are going to be a competent physician or that you should even be a physician. You are going to be responsible for peoples health and ultimately their lives, therefore only those mentally tough and mentally acute enough will/should become physicians.
The issue with the mental health survey, in my opinion, was less about the "mental health" of our class and more about the mental health of physicians and student doctors nationwide.
Like Alteredscale said, if you feel so strongly by all means go tell the prospective students to leave ASAP but I would hope that you could provide a legitimate explanation on why and maybe even a suggestion on where to go. No, KCU does not have "safe spaces" or "trigger warnings" nor do they coddle you and hold your hand every step of the way. What they do have is a class wide comlex avg 30 points higher than the national average, our residency match every year is stronger and more competitive than most DO schools(if not all of them), and they don't push or expect you to become a primary care physician.
If you don't want be a competitive applicant, don't want to practice outside of primary care, don't want to be mentally and physically challenged and prepared for residency, then by all means please go somewhere else.
Every school will have those that are happy and those that are miserable, it has less to do with the actual school and more to do with the individual. Those that complain about our curriculum are usually those that complain about life in general.
By the way My Mental Health is just fine and I'm in the exact same curriculum. I choose not to complain about life and find ways, such as exercise, to decrease my stress level everyday and I surround myself with positive individuals. Simple formula.
Wherever you guys and girls decide to go to school please approach it with positivity, hard work, and a yearning for knowledge. One day many years down the road you will be a better physician and a better person because of it.

Reactions: 12 users