Kansas State C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey folks who have heard back already! Does the acceptance letter come in a big envelope or just a normal size one? I'm watching my mail like a hawk and just want to know what to *hopefully* look for

The acceptance letter is a normal looking envelope but it's thicker--you can tell it has more than one sheet of paper. The postage was 0.43 to give you all an idea haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks who have heard back already! Does the acceptance letter come in a big envelope or just a normal size one? I'm watching my mail like a hawk and just want to know what to *hopefully* look for
From what I’ve read in this forum, it comes in a standard size envelope.

Accepted OOS, interviewed 1/20. still in shock, honestly.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oos alternate list. Interviewed 1/7. My postage was $0.42 instead of $0.43 haha

Lol I guess that wasn't such a helpful fact :rofl: hoping you end up with a spot!

I can see the preview of my letter coming and the postage is $0.42...guess I should start preparing for an alternate letter

Just got my letter. Out of state alternate! Interviewed 1/20

Reactions: 3 users
Out of state alternate as well! Interviewed 1/20.
I wasn't sure if anyone asked this yet, but does anyone know if they release our alternate ranking? Just so we have a better idea of how to plan for the future

Another day goes by with an empty mailbox. Hopefully tomorrow!

Out of state alternate as well! Interviewed 1/20.
I wasn't sure if anyone asked this yet, but does anyone know if they release our alternate ranking? Just so we have a better idea of how to plan for the future
They don't provide ranking

Just received my OOS acceptance! Still unsure about where to accept. It is between Midwestern AZ or K-state. I currently live in Las Vegas, NV. Any advice?

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my OOS acceptance! Still unsure about where to accept. It is between Midwestern AZ or K-state. I currently live in Las Vegas, NV. Any advice?
According to the VIN map (VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map) Midwestern is about $55k more expensive than K-State over the course of four years, taking into account both tuition and cost of living. Once you add interest as well, that's a pretty significant amount. I am biased, but I'd seriously recommend going with the cheaper school unless there was something major you disliked about K-State. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about K-State, I'm a current second year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my alternate letter today. Kinda bummed cuz it was my first choice but there’s still hope!

Does the longer the letter takes mean good or bad things? The suspense is killing me. Now I have to wait until at least Monday.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile

Received my rejection today. OSS. I was interviewed 1/7/18. Mail was sent 1/29/18. I felt confident after it :( even heard them whispering how impressed they were with my answer after the interview. Gave me false hope I guess.

Just got my alternate letter today. Kinda bummed cuz it was my first choice but there’s still hope!
I got an alternate letter too. Last year's data looked like they went pretty deep into the alternate list. *fingers crossed* hopefully they do the same this year

Reactions: 2 users
If we still haven't heard back, should we wait until next week to email/call the school?

If we still haven't heard back, should we wait until next week to email/call the school?
Yes, I would wait until at least Feb 12th to contact the office. Dr. Elmore had said after my interview if we didn't hear back to contact them starting 02/12.

Received an email today since apparently my letter got lost in the mail lol. Alternate OOS

Hopefully those who haven’t heard back soon get their acceptances, and those who are on the waitlist get a spot too!

I have my early admit interview at KSU tomorrow! Here’s hoping I get accepted! If anyone wants to share interview questions they were asked and any advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully those who haven’t heard back soon get their acceptances, and those who are on the waitlist get a spot too!

I have my early admit interview at KSU tomorrow! Here’s hoping I get accepted! If anyone wants to share interview questions they were asked and any advice, that would be greatly appreciated.
Paging @Polocrosse2017!

Hi All! New to sdn and accepted to K-State... I was wondering if any interviewees or current students could refresh my memory about the curriculum and clinical experience K-state offered over the next 4 years. I remember speaking with admissions, students and faculty about the new strategic plan for the veterinary school and its impact on incoming students. It was indicated that students will begin receiving basic hands on training within their first two years, practicing techniques on a variety of models before performing them on patients. It was also my understanding that there would be a change to the curriculum condensing the academics down to the first two years and clinical rotations beginning in the third year. Any clarification and/or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi All! New to sdn and accepted to K-State... I was wondering if any interviewees or current students could refresh my memory about the curriculum and clinical experience K-state offered over the next 4 years. I remember speaking with admissions, students and faculty about the new strategic plan for the veterinary school and its impact on incoming students. It was indicated that students will begin receiving basic hands on training within their first two years, practicing techniques on a variety of models before performing them on patients. It was also my understanding that there would be a change to the curriculum condensing the academics down to the first two years and clinical rotations beginning in the third year. Any clarification and/or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, I'm a current second year! This past fall we started having a clinical skills class every semester before 4th year to teach various hands-on skills as well as things like client communication. Unfortunately this wasn't offered to my class, so I can't comment on the specifics of what's taught in that class, but from what I've heard the first years really like it, and it should be even better next year since they've worked out some of the kinks. I've met the professor in charge of it and she's super nice, and has been more than willing to work with my class to put on some wet labs for us. I haven't heard anything about any plans to expand clinics to two years, but that would be a good question for Dr. Schmidt or Dr. Rush.

Does anyone know if its easy to find job positions after vet school outside of Kansas, like in cities on the east or west coast?

Does anyone know if its easy to find job positions after vet school outside of Kansas, like in cities on the east or west coast?
I'm sure it is, we have current 4th years going all over! We take a lot of OOS students and many go back to their home state after graduation. Which vet school you go to shouldn't really impact your ability to find a job in a specific state.

does anyone know if they'll start calling people off the waitlist prior to April 15?

I'm sure it is, we have current 4th years going all over! We take a lot of OOS students and many go back to their home state after graduation. Which vet school you go to shouldn't really impact your ability to find a job in a specific state.

Yep I have classmates working or doing internships and residencies all over the country

I was accepted OOS but will be declining since I got into my IS. Hopefully one of you will get my seat!

I will be giving up my OOS waitlist spot soon. I hope it helps someone out! Good luck! :)

OOS applicant declining my seat next week for my IS school. Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, so I have another question. Do you know where kstate gets their animals for anatomy labs? I know some schools get theirs from animals donated to science from the vet clinic and some from shelters. I'm just curious where kstate gets theirs.

Hey, so I have another question. Do you know where kstate gets their animals for anatomy labs? I know some schools get theirs from animals donated to science from the vet clinic and some from shelters. I'm just curious where kstate gets theirs.
They're from shelters!

I am currently a first year student looking for a roommate next semester! I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment, rent is $510 a month (per person) and utilities are $100-150 per month per person. The deposit is $100. One pet per resident is allowed, however, my dog isn't a fan of other dogs, so I am looking for a roommate with a cat or no pets. Message me if you are interested!

Here is the link to the complex I live in: The Pointe on College Avenue Apartments Near K State

I am currently a first year student looking for a roommate next semester! I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment, rent is $510 a month (per person) and utilities are $100-150 per month per person. The deposit is $100. One pet per resident is allowed, however, my dog isn't a fan of other dogs, so I am looking for a roommate with a cat or no pets. Message me if you are interested!

Here is the link to the complex I live in: The Pointe on College Avenue Apartments Near K State
I’m currently on the waitlist for KSU but if I get off the list I’d be interested lol

I’m currently on the waitlist for KSU but if I get off the list I’d be interested lol

Good luck! I know how stressful it is to be on the waitlist, I hope you are offered a position. Let me know if you do!

Last edited:
Do any applicants (or current students) have a good feel for how easy it is to get shadowing experiencing in the hospital during our "free time"? Are the faculty/staff receptive, schedule ahead of time or just drop in, etc.?

Do any applicants (or current students) have a good feel for how easy it is to get shadowing experiencing in the hospital during our "free time"? Are the faculty/staff receptive, schedule ahead of time or just drop in, etc.?
I haven't made time to go shadow myself so far, but it sounds like for the most part everyone's really welcoming! If you want to shadow a specific service you might want to email them and set up a time, but if you just have a random hour free you can wander over and see what's going on. Just try to stay out of the way, and don't expect to get to do anything hands-on. And students are always welcome at rounds, some of the rounds are targeted at 1st-3rd years and we get emails about them each week.

I'm declining my OOS spot to go to my IS school. Good luck everyone! This was possibly the hardest decision I've ever made, but I know I'm making room for another quality candidate.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten information about their FAFSA award from K-State prior to (or after) confirming your spot and paying the deposit?

Has anyone gotten information about their FAFSA award from K-State prior to (or after) confirming your spot and paying the deposit?
The last two years I've gotten my award letter about a month after submitting my FAFSA, but I tend to put off submitting until spring so I'm not sure if that's always the case!

I have decided on accepting my OOS spot! I’m working on getting my seat deposit submitted, I guess I have to wait for that to join the official FB group? Now to start the hunt for housing

I have decided on accepting my OOS spot! I’m working on getting my seat deposit submitted, I guess I have to wait for that to join the official FB group? Now to start the hunt for housing
Congrats I’m very jealous I loved KState

Oklahoma just didn't do it for ya, eh? ;)

Also, I know that the school provides tablet computers, which device is this? Thanks in advance!