Kansas State (KSU) c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who have already had interviews:
What kind of questions can we expect? (I know there is probably a confidentiality form in play with this but any examples or pointers would be greatly appreciated on how to prepare)

Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of questions can we expect? (I know there is probably a confidentiality form in play with this but any examples or pointers would be greatly appreciated on how to prepare)

Good luck everyone!!!
Hi! I had my interview Friday (1/7) and it was a great experience (although I'm not sure how I did). First, you talk to a student ambassador for about 5-10 minutes, so make sure to prepare some questions for him/her. Then you go into your interview session with 3 faculty members. That lasted about 25 minutes. The first question, of course, was "Tell me about yourself and why you want to go to K State CVM." The other questions were behavioral/situational questions ("What would you do in this situation..."). I thought the whole experience was conversational and low/moderately stressful (just because interviews always make me nervous!). At the end, you get to ask them questions also. I think the best way to prepare would be:

1) Prepare a "Tell me about yourself and why you want to go here"
2) Questions for student ambassador
3) Questions for faculty interviewers

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 3 users

Good luck everyone!!!
Hi! Last year I had 3 interviewers. They asked me what the difference in animal welfare/animal rights were (they asked me this on Saturday as well, and I’ve heard they ask a lot of people), they asked me to name 3 zoonotic diseases (probably since I had mentioned wanting to work with infectious disease), and they asked me about my experience and a few scenario based questions. This year they started off by asking me to tell them about myself, I kept mine short (where I came from, my education, why my past gave me skills that are helpful for the vet industry), based off my response to the rights v welfare they asked me my opinion on medical testing, what was a difficult situation I’ve been through and how did I overcome this, how do I stay motivated, what characteristics do I believe make a good veterinarian, what are some of my doubts about the profession, then asked if I wanted to add anything they didn’t touch on. I only had two interviewers this year. Last year I felt a bit more intimidated by the questions they asked but this year it felt personal and relaxed, they really just wanted to know about me and my experiences. Super nice interview team as well! I was online both years and started 3-5 min with a rep, 10 min with a student ambassador, 25 min with the interview team (20 min interview, 5 min questions for them).

I’ve also heard some will ask you about hot topics in vet med so that could be a good thing to research before. Also, know your application/essay responses/resume! They’ll likely have it pulled up or printed out to go off of. I’ve also been asked last year about strengths and weaknesses.

1. Be ready to introduce yourself
2. Difference in animal welfare/rights
3. Have questions for the team!
4. I know it’s hard to not be nervous but try to stay calm, they aren’t there to berate you and scare you, they really just want to get to know you!
5. Don’t make up answers to questions you don’t know. Don’t be afraid to be honest and say you’re not sure but you’ll look into it afterwards.
6. Be you! There’s a reason they wanted to interview you in the first place. You got this!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone attend the CVM zoom tour or candidate information session last weekend? I realize this is a silly question, but did you need to have your webcam on? The computer I'm using today does not have a functional webcam but I want to attend. Thanks!

Did anyone attend the CVM zoom tour or candidate information session last weekend? I realize this is a silly question, but did you need to have your webcam on? The computer I'm using today does not have a functional webcam but I want to attend. Thanks!
You don't need camera on!

Reactions: 1 user
this may be silly but those of you going to the reception tonight... what are you wearing😅?

this may be silly but those of you going to the reception tonight... what are you wearing😅?
I will be there. I talked to my ambassador and he said its casual but not to show up in gym clothes. I plan on wearing jean trousers, a blouse, blazer, and my nice boots!

Had my interview on Saturday. Went pretty well. A lot of "What would you do in this situation" type questions. One question he wanted me to answer was about putting a deceased puppy in a bucket of water to see if it would sink or float to know if it had been born dead or alive. Not really sure why I would get asked that and all the veterinarians I work with now all said that is a very weird question to ask because if clients knew their vet was putting a puppy in water like that, it would make them upset. The same person that asked that was also on his phone mid way through the interview and dropped it trying to put it back into his pocket. Very distracting and unprofessional and I just stared at him while he picked it up. So who knows.. Kind of upsetting that one of the biggest moments of my life doesn't mean much to him.
Not sure if we had the same guy, but one of the doctors interviewing me seemed very annoyed to be there and was actually kinda rude. He interrupted me a couple times, and even made sort of a rude comment about something I mentioned. Honestly threw me off and I did not feel very confident during the interview )': hopefully I'm just overthinking it and everything will be okay

Not sure if we had the same guy, but one of the doctors interviewing me seemed very annoyed to be there and was actually kinda rude. He interrupted me a couple times, and even made sort of a rude comment about something I mentioned. Honestly threw me off and I did not feel very confident during the interview )': hopefully I'm just overthinking it and everything will be okay
I had the same experience- wondering if we had the same interview team? I had one of the doctors ask me a question and then interrupt me in the middle of my answer. I just tried to handle it calmly, but it was definitely unsettling. Part of me wonders if he was trying to see how you'd react to that.

I had the same experience- wondering if we had the same interview team? I had one of the doctors ask me a question and then interrupt me in the middle of my answer. I just tried to handle it calmly, but it was definitely unsettling. Part of me wonders if he was trying to see how you'd react to that.
Yeah I was kinda thinking that too. One of the comments he made tho was definitely unecessary, so idk about that. I think maybe he thought I was lying about what i said? Who knows

I had the same question but with a foal! I loved this question, it made us think on our toes about what we should do in the situation and they told me I got the question correct! I told them first I would preform a necropsy do inspect the lungs and if I couldn't see anything obviously wrong I would then put the lungs in the bucket of water. If they float that means the animal came out alive because it would have had to inhale oxygen (O2 floats). But if the lungs sink then it came out deceased because mucosa would have enters the lungs. It definitely was a non-traditional question.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that too. One of the comments he made tho was definitely unecessary, so idk about that. I think maybe he thought I was lying about what i said? Who knows
I think we all may have had the same person. There was one guy in my interview as well who questioned a lot of what I said and interrupted me a few times but I held my ground because I knew he was just trying to throw us off and we will encounter folks like that in this industry. But I know everyone here did great! Best of luck to you all and be sure to keep us all updated on acceptances and where you end up saying yes to!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like they sent out an email about that situation. In all honesty, their email made me like KSU more. I feel a bit better knowing they're paying attention to that stuff and that they're listening to applicant feedback. Big props to whoever reached out to them!

It seems like they sent out an email about that situation. In all honesty, their email made me like KSU more. I feel a bit better knowing they're paying attention to that stuff and that they're listening to applicant feedback. Big props to whoever reached out to them!
I feel the same! I'm glad they reached out, and also shows another reason why KSU is awesome. Glad to hear also that one interview member isn't actually part of the faculty.

This wait is agonizing … 😩. Hope everyone is hanging in there and that we hear something in a couple weeks 🤞

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I’m hoping we hear back in the beginning of February

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Last year they were notified via email on 2/8. Hopefully we will get news next week!!!!! :)

• Care
  • Wow
OOS accepted :). I already accepted my seat at Midwestern. I was wondering if anyone knew how I can decline my seat.

OOS ACCEPTED! Congratulations to everyone!

OOS accepted! Does anybody know if they offer possible admission scholarships or are they only for when accept and apply for them later on. (I know they mentioned this at the panel I just cant remember)

IS accepted!!!!! This is my 3rd year applying, I am over the moon!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
OOS accepted! Does anybody know if they offer possible admission scholarships or are they only for when accept and apply for them later on. (I know they mentioned this at the panel I just cant remember)
On their website under the scholarships tab it said that they will provide more information during new student orientation. Im hoping that the packet they send in the mail will have some stuff about it because august is a long ways away

On their website under the scholarships tab it said that they will provide more information during new student orientation. Im hoping that the packet they send in the mail will have some stuff about it because august is a long ways away
I saw that and I`m hoping more info comes in the packet to- any possible scholarships could be the decision making factor for not just me but others as well (especially OOS).

I saw that and I`m hoping more info comes in the packet to- any possible scholarships could be the decision making factor for not just me but others as well (especially OOS).

Yes! I really want to go here but I just keep thinking about how much more debt I would be in compared to my IS school…

Current 2nd year. Congratulations and best wishes to all those still awaiting answers. I remember stalking the forums here before I was accepted :) Stay positive and we cannot wait to see you all here with us.

Congrats to everyone (':
Anyone know how much the waitlist usually moves?

OOS Alternate, however already accepted my seat at oregon state!
Congrats everyone and praying for the other alternates!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm excited to meet you in the fall.

OOS Alternate!
It’s my first year applying and I’m super stoked I actually made it this far. I definitely have some things to work on in my application. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those accepted!

IS accepted!!!

OOS Alternate!
It’s my first year applying and I’m super stoked I actually made it this far. I definitely have some things to work on in my application. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those accepted!
I should def. be more thankful of being an alternate and thinking positive like you are! Thanks for being a good example and unknowingly lightning up other people’s moods 😍. It’s my first cycle too. Praying for us

Second cycle, oos alternate! I'm trying to be happy to have a chance at all, last year I didn't even get interviews anywhere. If I happen to get accepted anywhere else and want to play it safe, is it appropriate to accept a seat elsewhere (and pay the fee) and then drop it if KSU calls me off the waitlist? Is that common?

Also like everyone said above, does anyone have the inside scoop on Kansas alternate list statistics? Oh and is there an international seat acceptance date for all the schools?

Second cycle, oos alternate! I'm trying to be happy to have a chance at all, last year I didn't even get interviews anywhere. If I happen to get accepted anywhere else and want to play it safe, is it appropriate to accept a seat elsewhere (and pay the fee) and then drop it if KSU calls me off the waitlist? Is that common?

Also like everyone said above, does anyone have the inside scoop on Kansas alternate list statistics? Oh and is there an international seat acceptance date for all the schools?
If I were you and I had an acceptance, I would probably do the deposit there just in case. Also not sure if this is what you mean by "international seat acceptance date", but for every school you have until April 15th to accept your seat/pay the deposit, so waitlist probably won't move until after that date.

If I were you and I had an acceptance, I would probably do the deposit there just in case. Also not sure if this is what you mean by "international seat acceptance date", but for every school you have until April 15th to accept your seat/pay the deposit, so waitlist probably won't move until after that date.
I thought that deadline was for schools to send you decisions?

I thought that deadline was for schools to send you decisions?
Screenshot_20220204-145353_Word.jpg