Kansas State (KSU) c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a Facebook page made?

Members don't see this ad.

@ladybug21 I don't believe they create the c/o 2026 Facebook page until after the April 15th declaration deadline, that way the page isn't filled with students that decided to go elsewhere. I could be wrong in my assumption though.

Reactions: 1 user
@ladybug21 I don't believe they create the c/o 2026 Facebook page until after the April 15th declaration deadline, that way the page isn't filled with students that decided to go elsewhere. I could be wrong in my assumption though.
I saw in an older thread that they invite you to it once you accept your spot and pay the deposit but i could also be wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a Facebook page made?

I saw in an older thread that they invite you to it once you accept your spot and pay the deposit but i could also be wrong
The group is made around the time decisions are sent out, then you’re added to it once you pay your deposit. I checked my c/o 2025 Facebook group and it was made on February 4th of last year, but the first post wasn’t made until March 1st. Hopefully that helps!

Last edited:
Declined my position as an OOS alternate. Hopefully that betters someone else’s chances. Good luck everybody!!

Reactions: 3 users
Declined my position as an OOS alternate. Hopefully that betters someone else’s chances. Good luck everybody!!
Just wanna say, to anyone giving up their positions, you deserve a cookie 🥺And (as I think most people giving up positions have already decided where to go) I hope you have the best time in your schools and congratulations !!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I really loved Kansas, but I was just accepted to my IS. I’ll most likely be turning down my OOS seat. It’s a little sad because I liked Kansas so much 😢

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanna say, to anyone giving up their positions, you deserve a cookie 🥺And (as I think most people giving up positions have already decided where to go) I hope you have the best time in your schools and congratulations !!!!
Thank you!!! ❤️

I was wondering if anyone got their packet to the address they put as their current mailing address on the supplemental application? I put where I’m living now as my current mailing address but my parents let me know that they sent the admissions packet to their house (my permanent address). Do they maybe send the packet to both?

I was wondering if anyone got their packet to the address they put as their current mailing address on the supplemental application? I put where I’m living now as my current mailing address but my parents let me know that they sent the admissions packet to their house (my permanent address). Do they maybe send the packet to both?
Nevermind lol I emailed them and they send the packet to the address you put down when you accept your interview just wanted to update in case anyone else was in the same boat

Whats the FASFA code? I have one but some schools have special vet ones so I wanna verify I've chosen the right one (yes I'm posting this in all the forums of my potential schools so plz don't hate me)

Is anyone familiar with the anatomy prep course for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea how much the tuition costs for the whole year? And for each individual semester? :)

Has anyone decided to decline their seat? Searching for a little hope I will get off the waitlist 😂

Hi @alleycat03! I have a few questions if you have a moment :)

1) Do students get a discount at the teaching hospital?
2) Is it difficult to get into elective rotations that you want? I want to do the Exotic Animal, Wildlife, & Zoo Animal med rotation. Is there a chance I won't be able to get in?
3) How about electives? Are they competitive to get into?
4) When do you get to work on live animals?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone decided to decline their seat? Searching for a little hope I will get off the waitlist 😂
Same here 😭. I still can’t believe I got into every program I applied to (Cornell,tufts,Purdue and Iowa) except Kansas (the only one I was going to apply to and the one I reeeeeeeally tried hard to go to). Maybe the universe wants me to go somewhere else 🥺.

1) you do get a discount at the teaching hospital but it is usually still cheaper to go to a local veterinarian. Sometimes the clinicians will try to not charge you for some things but more often than not it is still quite a bit more expensive than one of the local veterinarians.

2) It really depends on the elective rotation. Your 4th year schedule is made from a lotto based system. When you submit or your schedule, you choose your top choice rotation. Whether that be having Internal Medicine during a specific block, 4 weeks of vacation if you need a week off for wedding stuff or holidays, or a specific rotation. You are guaranteed your 1st choice rotation. Anything after that is based on lotto. I choose my top choice as a 4 week vacation block that I then turned into a 4 week zoo externship which is what I wanted to do with it anyways and knew that when I made my schedule. Exotics is a very popular rotation but just about everybody gets in it because it is offered every 3 weeks and takes 3-4 students each time. So there is plenty of openings. Now if you do not want to take the chance of not getting that elective, then you can choose to put Exotics as your 1st choice when you submit your 4th year schedule (which you do in the fall of 3rd year) and you are guaranteed that rotation in the time frame you wanted. Some rotations are hard to get into because they are only offered at certain times of the year. Advanced surgery skills is only offered 3 times a year. I tried to get into this and didn't get in even though it was my 2nd choice elective. You have to do 11 electives rotation credits (each week is 1 credit so 11 weeks of electives) and most electives are either 2 or 3 weeks. You can do up to 5 elective credits outside of the school, the rest have to be done at KSU.

3) Electives during 1-3rd year are very easy to get in to. You get an email from administration to complete a survey for your electives. If you complete it within the 1st day you are almost always guaranteed to get your electives. If you wait a few days to complete the survey then you most likely won't get that elective. So complete the survey when they send it out and you will be fine.

4) You do some physical exams and ophtho exams throughout 1st and 2nd year on your own classmates dogs and the teaching horses in clinical skills. You don't get a ton of live animal experience until 3rd year when you do junior surgery and spay and/or neuter 2 dogs in the fall of 3rd year. In spring of 3rd year you castrate a horse and can sign up for a C-section on a cow if you want to. I would recommend doing mentorships for elective credits each year where you spend a week at a clinic outside of school. You get a ton of experience during those weeks. I also recommend getting a job in the hospital if that is something you are interested in. I learn a lot more working in the ICU and was able to apply the material I was learning way better once I started working. I also connected with the residents and clinicians while working which has made 4th year so much better and more fun. I took each summer off and did research the first summer and went home and did ER and surgery work my 2nd summer.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me either on this forum or personal messaging. Happy to help! Some of the structure and classes are changing from when I was a 1st year to now me being in 4th year.

• Love
  • Care
1) you do get a discount at the teaching hospital but it is usually still cheaper to go to a local veterinarian. Sometimes the clinicians will try to not charge you for some things but more often than not it is still quite a bit more expensive than one of the local veterinarians.

2) It really depends on the elective rotation. Your 4th year schedule is made from a lotto based system. When you submit or your schedule, you choose your top choice rotation. Whether that be having Internal Medicine during a specific block, 4 weeks of vacation if you need a week off for wedding stuff or holidays, or a specific rotation. You are guaranteed your 1st choice rotation. Anything after that is based on lotto. I choose my top choice as a 4 week vacation block that I then turned into a 4 week zoo externship which is what I wanted to do with it anyways and knew that when I made my schedule. Exotics is a very popular rotation but just about everybody gets in it because it is offered every 3 weeks and takes 3-4 students each time. So there is plenty of openings. Now if you do not want to take the chance of not getting that elective, then you can choose to put Exotics as your 1st choice when you submit your 4th year schedule (which you do in the fall of 3rd year) and you are guaranteed that rotation in the time frame you wanted. Some rotations are hard to get into because they are only offered at certain times of the year. Advanced surgery skills is only offered 3 times a year. I tried to get into this and didn't get in even though it was my 2nd choice elective. You have to do 11 electives rotation credits (each week is 1 credit so 11 weeks of electives) and most electives are either 2 or 3 weeks. You can do up to 5 elective credits outside of the school, the rest have to be done at KSU.

3) Electives during 1-3rd year are very easy to get in to. You get an email from administration to complete a survey for your electives. If you complete it within the 1st day you are almost always guaranteed to get your electives. If you wait a few days to complete the survey then you most likely won't get that elective. So complete the survey when they send it out and you will be fine.

4) You do some physical exams and ophtho exams throughout 1st and 2nd year on your own classmates dogs and the teaching horses in clinical skills. You don't get a ton of live animal experience until 3rd year when you do junior surgery and spay and/or neuter 2 dogs in the fall of 3rd year. In spring of 3rd year you castrate a horse and can sign up for a C-section on a cow if you want to. I would recommend doing mentorships for elective credits each year where you spend a week at a clinic outside of school. You get a ton of experience during those weeks. I also recommend getting a job in the hospital if that is something you are interested in. I learn a lot more working in the ICU and was able to apply the material I was learning way better once I started working. I also connected with the residents and clinicians while working which has made 4th year so much better and more fun. I took each summer off and did research the first summer and went home and did ER and surgery work my 2nd summer.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me either on this forum or personal messaging. Happy to help! Some of the structure and classes are changing from when I was a 1st year to now me being in 4th year.
This is extremely helpful! For some reason, understanding the clinical rotations for each school is extremely difficult for me. However, it is a major influence on my school choice.

Do you happen to have thoughts on the radiology department? I want to do exotic animal emergency and radiology.

THANK YOU.

This is extremely helpful! For some reason, understanding the clinical rotations for each school is extremely difficult for me. However, it is a major influence on my school choice.

Do you happen to have thoughts on the radiology department? I want to do exotic animal emergency and radiology.

THANK YOU.
The radiology department is pretty good here. We usually have a radiology intern and 3-4 radiology residents on. Most schools that I have heard about won't take their students for rotating interns and then also as a radiology intern/resident. They want you to get diverse training from different sources. For example, we have 3 rotating interns that actually graduated from here last year (which is not very common at all). 2 of those interns want to go into radiology but they did not get an interview for the radiology internship or residency because then all of their education would be here at KSU. If they had done their rotating internship somewhere else, then maybe they would have gotten an interview for either the internship or residency.

I can't speak much for the actual radiology rotation as it is my very last rotation this year in April but from what I have heard and seen, there is a lot of busy work and we are pretty much free labor (like most of 4th year sometimes). You have rounds from like 8:30/9 -11am then start taking radiographs or doing ultrasound. You rotate between 4 different rooms (3 of radiographs including a large animal room, and the ultrasound room). In each room you are either holding or positioning the animal, you are not interpreting the radiographs at all. You get interpretation in rounds each morning but otherwise do not get much of a chance to interpret radiographs throughout the day. Kind of disappointing because not many people are comfortable reading radiographs outside of school and I want to be comfortable reading my own radiographs but unfortunately we don't get a lot of opportunity to do that.

There are student worker positions in radiology you can get in 1st-3rd year where you are oncall from 5p-7a to take radiographs on anything that comes in on ER. Some days we are calling the students in all the time, others not at all. You can also pick up shifts during the day or on break and can sit in the reading room and listen to the residents interpret the radiographs so that might be more helpful in terms of getting more exposure with interpretation.

The radiology department is pretty good here. We usually have a radiology intern and 3-4 radiology residents on. Most schools that I have heard about won't take their students for rotating interns and then also as a radiology intern/resident. They want you to get diverse training from different sources. For example, we have 3 rotating interns that actually graduated from here last year (which is not very common at all). 2 of those interns want to go into radiology but they did not get an interview for the radiology internship or residency because then all of their education would be here at KSU. If they had done their rotating internship somewhere else, then maybe they would have gotten an interview for either the internship or residency.

I can't speak much for the actual radiology rotation as it is my very last rotation this year in April but from what I have heard and seen, there is a lot of busy work and we are pretty much free labor (like most of 4th year sometimes). You have rounds from like 8:30/9 -11am then start taking radiographs or doing ultrasound. You rotate between 4 different rooms (3 of radiographs including a large animal room, and the ultrasound room). In each room you are either holding or positioning the animal, you are not interpreting the radiographs at all. You get interpretation in rounds each morning but otherwise do not get much of a chance to interpret radiographs throughout the day. Kind of disappointing because not many people are comfortable reading radiographs outside of school and I want to be comfortable reading my own radiographs but unfortunately we don't get a lot of opportunity to do that.

There are student worker positions in radiology you can get in 1st-3rd year where you are oncall from 5p-7a to take radiographs on anything that comes in on ER. Some days we are calling the students in all the time, others not at all. You can also pick up shifts during the day or on break and can sit in the reading room and listen to the residents interpret the radiographs so that might be more helpful in terms of getting more exposure with interpretation.
Okay -- that is very helpful. Thanks. I will stop taking up your valuable time now!

Whats the FASFA code? I have one but some schools have special vet ones so I wanna verify I've chosen the right one (yes I'm posting this in all the forums of my potential schools so plz don't hate me)
It should be the same one as the regular KSU FAFSA code
Does KState have an accepted students day?
I haven’t heard of an official day, but we have class of 2026 students coming to tour all the time now. You can contact the admissions office if you want to come for a tour or have any other questions!
Is anyone familiar with the anatomy prep course for accepted students?
They started the course a few years ago (I think in either 2020 or 2019, not sure) and personally I only worked through like 1 week of material. I think that I t’s really important to enjoy your free time during the summer and try to not get burnt out before classes even begin. You’ll learn all of the material again in the first few weeks of school. The prep course is just an opportunity for you to look at some of the gross anatomy material before the semester starts, and it is completely optional. I was not at a disadvantage because I didn’t finish it.
Does anyone have any idea how much the tuition costs for the whole year? And for each individual semester? :)
You can find this information on the KSU CVM website. Your loans will cover enough for tuition AND cost of living. I know as an in state student I was offered about $46k in loans for this year.
Hi @alleycat03! I have a few questions if you have a moment :)

1) Do students get a discount at the teaching hospital?
2) Is it difficult to get into elective rotations that you want? I want to do the Exotic Animal, Wildlife, & Zoo Animal med rotation. Is there a chance I won't be able to get in?
3) How about electives? Are they competitive to get into?
4) When do you get to work on live animals?

Thank you!
I think Blueangel did a great job answering these questions. I have just a few things to add:

1. It’s a 20% discount on *some* things. Not every procedure and product is discounted. I recommend using the hospital for emergencies and finding a clinic elsewhere in town for your regular vet appointments. I took my kitten to the pet health center for her last round of shots and it was a little bit pricier than if I had taken her to a regular clinic. The quality of medicine is really good, but even with the 20% discount it was more expensive than my other cat’s care. I did really appreciate the 20% discount on the revolution plus though.

2. I can’t speak to this since I am still a 1st year student. Everything Blueangel said sounds exactly like what I’ve heard from talking to older students.

3. Some electives are more popular than others. I didn’t get into the special interest anatomy course this semester, but that was really the only elective that filled up quickly. You should be fine if you fill out the survey form early on.

4. There’s lots of hands-on opportunities in clinical skills, plus opportunities during wet labs put on by different clubs. In the fall we did physical exams on dogs and cats, and this semester we’ve done/will do physical exams on cows and horses and a cranial nerve exam on dogs. We also do an ophtho exam in second year. I’ve also participated in several wet labs that were very hands-on, so I recommend getting involved!

I hope that helps!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It should be the same one as the regular KSU FAFSA code

I haven’t heard of an official day, but we have class of 2026 students coming to tour all the time now. You can contact the admissions office if you want to come for a tour or have any other questions!

They started the course a few years ago (I think in either 2020 or 2019, not sure) and personally I only worked through like 1 week of material. I think that I t’s really important to enjoy your free time during the summer and try to not get burnt out before classes even begin. You’ll learn all of the material again in the first few weeks of school. The prep course is just an opportunity for you to look at some of the gross anatomy material before the semester starts, and it is completely optional. I was not at a disadvantage because I didn’t finish it.

You can find this information on the KSU CVM website. Your loans will cover enough for tuition AND cost of living. I know as an in state student I was offered about $46k in loans for this year.

I think Blueangel did a great job answering these questions. I have just a few things to add:

1. It’s a 20% discount on *some* things. Not every procedure and product is discounted. I recommend using the hospital for emergencies and finding a clinic elsewhere in town for your regular vet appointments. I took my kitten to the pet health center for her last round of shots and it was a little bit pricier than if I had taken her to a regular clinic. The quality of medicine is really good, but even with the 20% discount it was more expensive than my other cat’s care. I did really appreciate the 20% discount on the revolution plus though.

2. I can’t speak to this since I am still a 1st year student. Everything Blueangel said sounds exactly like what I’ve heard from talking to older students.

3. Some electives are more popular than others. I didn’t get into the special interest anatomy course this semester, but that was really the only elective that filled up quickly. You should be fine if you fill out the survey form early on.

4. There’s lots of hands-on opportunities in clinical skills, plus opportunities during wet labs put on by different clubs. In the fall we did physical exams on dogs and cats, and this semester we’ve done/will do physical exams on cows and horses and a cranial nerve exam on dogs. We also do an ophtho exam in second year. I’ve also participated in several wet labs that were very hands-on, so I recommend getting involved!

I hope that helps!
Thank you very much! This is also very helpful. I know y'all are very busy and it is extremely kind of you to take your time to help us so much!

Same here 😭. I still can’t believe I got into every program I applied to (Cornell,tufts,Purdue and Iowa) except Kansas (the only one I was going to apply to and the one I reeeeeeeally tried hard to go to). Maybe the universe wants me to go somewhere else 🥺.
Hey you have options tho that’s awesome!! Kansas State was my favorite too, if I don’t get off the waitlist I will reapply. The only school I got into out of the 8 I applied is Ross but when I consider my future family I don’t think it’s the best option for us.

Not sure where to ask this question but I'm new to filing FAFSA and unsure if I should include parental info or file independently for K-state (or any other school) and if there is an advantage for either or requirement for certain schools? Thanks!

Not sure where to ask this question but I'm new to filing FAFSA and unsure if I should include parental info or file independently for K-state (or any other school) and if there is an advantage for either or requirement for certain schools? Thanks!
You can file either with or without parental financial information.

If you choose to include the parental information, then you may be considered for a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), which has the perk of zero interest accrual during your vet school enrollment. There are a few downsides, namely that most students won't qualify for it and, even if they do, the amount awarded tends to be small, but obviously anything helps. I'd say that if you and your family are on good terms and they are willing to provide their information, it's worth it to try.

You will absolutely still be able to take out the standard Stafford loans and/or Grad PLUS loans up to the total allotted CoA for whatever school you attend either way, so don't worry about that.

ETA: Just realized that I should probably clarify that all professional/graduate students are automatically considered independent for financial aid purposes. And that is regardless of if parental information is or isn't submitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you choose to include the parental information, then you may be considered for a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), which has the perk of zero interest accrual during your vet school enrollment. There are a few downsides, namely that most students won't qualify for it and, even if they do, the amount awarded tends to be small, but obviously anything helps. I'd say that if you and your family are on good terms and they are willing to provide their information, it's worth it to try.

You will absolutely still be able to take out the standard Stafford loans and/or Grad PLUS loans up to the total allotted CoA for whatever school you attend either way, so don't worry about that.

ETA: Just realized that I should probably clarify that all professional/graduate students are automatically considered independent for financial aid purposes. And that is regardless of if parental information is or isn't submitted.
Thank you so much! Very helpful response!

Yep, I agree with this response^

I definitely recommend applying for the FAFSA and including parental information if your personal situation allows you to. I know some people don't have a great relationship with their parents, so finding their financial information can be difficult for some people. Including parental information can NOT harm your FAFSA app, it can only help.

If you don't qualify for the HPSL, then nothing bad happens. You are just offered more Stafford/ Grad PLUS loans. I was fortunate enough to get some loan money from HPSL, so that will be beneficial when interest rates increase soon (probably for loans disbursed in August). So I know KSU students are eligible for HPSL loans since I received one.

Yep, I agree with this response^

I definitely recommend applying for the FAFSA and including parental information if your personal situation allows you to. I know some people don't have a great relationship with their parents, so finding their financial information can be difficult for some people. Including parental information can NOT harm your FAFSA app, it can only help.

If you don't qualify for the HPSL, then nothing bad happens. You are just offered more Stafford/ Grad PLUS loans. I was fortunate enough to get some loan money from HPSL, so that will be beneficial when interest rates increase soon (probably for loans disbursed in August). So I know KSU students are eligible for HPSL loans since I received one.
For the HPSL, what do we have to do besides the FASFA to be considered for it?

For the HPSL, what do we have to do besides the FASFA to be considered for it?

I am not sure of the exact requirements. I know it isn't a common loan to get and I had to email the financial aid office once I learned about it in the middle of 1st year and then I was offered it 2nd-4th year. I would email the KSU main campus financial aid office and they can get you the exact requirements.

It's almost Friday! Just curious... who has or is accepting their seat? Hoping I will get a call from Kansas!

I just declined my offer, I hope one of you gets the spot!

Just got an email with my file review, saying I am "quite high" on the alternate list. Did anyone else get this? I had just finalized plans for next year and was starting to reapply but now my hopes are up as K-State was my top choice. Does anyone else have any insight on waitlist movement?

Edit: This came attached to my file review I requested a few months ago when I was told I was put on the alternate list.

Last edited:
Just got an email with my file review, saying I am "quite high" on the alternate list. Did anyone else get this? I had just finalized plans for next year and was starting to reapply but now my hopes are up as K-State was my top choice. Does anyone else have any insight on waitlist movement?
mine also said that 😭 I really hope they don't say that to just anyone

I also got an email saying that I was "quite high" on the alternate list. That same email also said that my interview was "very successful."

It makes me wonder how high "quite high" is. Top 10? Top 50?

It's all very scary!

Edit: this information came from my file review I requested back in February/March

Last edited:
I just got a call from Kansas!!! I’ll be joining y’all in the fall!! Currently crying in joy
Hang on to hope those still waiting! I definitely wasn’t expecting this

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I just got a call from Kansas!!! I’ll be joining y’all in the fall!! Currently crying in joy
Congratulations! Hoping the rest of us aren't far behind you!

Wow that's amazing, congrats!!!!

I just got a call as well, I can’t believe it!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I got a call that I got off the waitlist but decided to decline. A hard decision tbh, but I'm glad someone else will get a seat there!
Good luck everyone

Thanks for declining your seat, because she must have called me next! I'm in and accepted!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I also got a call around two hours ago!!! Just accepted, since this is my first and only acceptance!!!!!! Can't believe it!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
How imperative is it that I be in the Facebook group? I ask because I have no social media profiles, and need to know if I'm going to miss anything important.

I got a call about 5 hours ago! I will be accepting!