Kansas State (KSU) c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call about 5 hours ago! I will be accepting!

Are the people who have gotten calls today IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an OOS waitlist call yesterday and will be declining it as I already accepted a seat elsewhere. good luck friends :)

How imperative is it that I be in the Facebook group? I ask because I have no social media profiles, and need to know if I'm going to miss anything important.
My understanding is it’s to get to know classmates and post housing opportunities. So depends on if you think that is helpful for you.

Reactions: 1 user
How imperative is it that I be in the Facebook group? I ask because I have no social media profiles, and need to know if I'm going to miss anything important.
I would say that it is semi-important so that you can get to know your classmates. Not only will people post about housing opportunities, they will also plan get-togethers and hang-outs. Dr. Roush also posts about the zoom calls and such that they will be having over the summer. I'm assuming he emails y'all about them too, but I was a lot better about checking my FB over the summer vs my school email. You can definitely live without FB and shouldn't miss out on anything essential without joining the group, but it would probably enrich your experience as an incoming student to join.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get their hopes up seeing Alternate list movement at KSU CVM email?

I didn’t get any new email but I did email them this afternoon and was told the class is full now and they’ll keep us updated but they don’t see much movement in the summer. I don’t know if she meant specifically IS or in general but I think it’s overall.

If I were to rent something off campus, I can get loans to pay for rent right? How does that work? If anyone could help with that it would be appreciated. I've been looking at apts but just wanted to have a bit more info on how loans work for off campus housing.

If I were to rent something off campus, I can get loans to pay for rent right? How does that work? If anyone could help with that it would be appreciated. I've been looking at apts but just wanted to have a bit more info on how loans work for off campus housing.
They just give you a lump sum of money at the beginning of the semester for the fall and do the same in the spring. Since you aren't paying for on-campus housing, just be sure to take out enough in loans to cover your housing as well as the actual tuition. If the amount you took out in loans is more than the cost for tuiton (which it should be), then they will do a direct deposit of your excess loan money. You can set up your direct deposit in KSIS. If you don't set up a direct deposit, they will mail you a check for the excess amount of loans, which you can then use to pay for rent, utilities, etc.

You can definitely live in a pretty nice place off-campus and stay well under what they estimate for cost of living when giving out loans. I live in a 2 bed 1 bath apartment with 1 roommate, and the amount I calculated for my cost of living was well below the amount they were offering. Definitely set up a budget and figure out roughly how much you'll be spending each month, but I would not worry too much about loans not covering off-campus housing. They should cover everything even if you take out a modest amount of loans. And don't forget that you can return loan money you don't use and you don't have to take out the full amount in the first place if you don't think you'll need it.

• Care
They just give you a lump sum of money at the beginning of the semester for the fall and do the same in the spring. Since you aren't paying for on-campus housing, just be sure to take out enough in loans to cover your housing as well as the actual tuition. If the amount you took out in loans is more than the cost for tuiton (which it should be), then they will do a direct deposit of your excess loan money. You can set up your direct deposit in KSIS. If you don't set up a direct deposit, they will mail you a check for the excess amount of loans, which you can then use to pay for rent, utilities, etc.

You can definitely live in a pretty nice place off-campus and stay well under what they estimate for cost of living when giving out loans. I live in a 2 bed 1 bath apartment with 1 roommate, and the amount I calculated for my cost of living was well below the amount they were offering. Definitely set up a budget and figure out roughly how much you'll be spending each month, but I would not worry too much about loans not covering off-campus housing. They should cover everything even if you take out a modest amount of loans. And don't forget that you can return loan money you don't use and you don't have to take out the full amount in the first place if you don't think you'll need it.
That makes sense! Thank you!

Has anyone who got in off of the waitlist received their financial aid notification yet? Thanks!

Has anyone who got in off of the waitlist received their financial aid notification yet? Thanks!
I called financial aid office and they told me they're still looking at my FAFSA, and I should hear back in a couple days to a couple weeks!

I have still not received anything about mine yet and I applied weeks ago and was accepted not waitlisted.

I received some letters on Monday saying that they needed more information from me (tax related). They're working on it (as best I can tell), I'm sure it will come to you.

What do most students do during summer months? Do most stay in town or find opportunities elsewhere/go back home? Trying to figure out what is best housing-wise, being that most leases are for 12 months.

I have kept my apartment in the summer. I have worked in Manhattan last summer and this summer with a week or two working other places or travelling. I'll probably keep this apartment until I graduate.

What do most students do during summer months? Do most stay in town or find opportunities elsewhere/go back home? Trying to figure out what is best housing-wise, being that most leases are for 12 months.
I'd say about 65-75% of the vet students go home for summer. Depends on the year and the students in each class, but I think that's a good rough estimate. There are multiple animal-related jobs at the vet school, at clinics around town, and random serving/customer service jobs if you wanted a break from vet med as options for summer employment. Pretty much all the leases in Manhattan are 12 month leases. You could try to find someone to sublease from you over the summer, but there's definitely no guarantee that you'll find someone. I made sure to only look at externships that provided housing for free, that way I wouldn't be paying double rent this summer.

A huge chunk of the undergraduate students go home each summer, so the entire town has WAY fewer people during the summer. It feels a lot emptier and there's less traffic and things to do.