Kansas State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received their welcome packet in the mail? Mine hasn’t arrived yet and the email said we should’ve gotten it by the 5th
I just got mine today! I live in NW Arkansas so maybe I'm a little closer

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got mine today, I’m in Iowa so not too far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received their welcome packet in the mail? Mine hasn’t arrived yet and the email said we should’ve gotten it by the 5th

I haven’t gotten mine either! Makes me feel a little better that everyone is in the same boat!

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I'm currently in Massachusetts and checked with my dad to see if it was sent to my permanent address in South Carolina. I feel like I might not get my packet until Monday since I'm pretty far from Kansas.

Got mine today but at Kansas State so really close!

Just got my packet today, and I’m in WI. Mine was postmarked 2/4, so no wonder it didn’t come the 5th!

Just got my packet today, and I’m in WI. Mine was postmarked 2/4, so no wonder it didn’t come the 5th!

I’m wondering if they meant they would send them all by the 5th.

I got my packet today too! I was expecting it to be a big envelope and not a letter-size one. I taped the "Congratulations! YOU ARE IN!!" on my wall but I still have another school I'm interviewing at and waiting to hear from before I decide. I just love the "K-State Vet Med Family" vibes.

Reactions: 6 users
Got mine today and am taking the spot! Can't wait to meet you guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially declined my OOS seat. Good luck to y’all! :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Got my in-state denial from Iowa State today so looks like I’m officially going to be a KState Wildcat!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepting my seat at Kansas today! See y’all in the fall!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I posted this earlier but me & fiancé will most likely be renting a house & will be looking for either a single roomie or an engaged/married/long term couple to live with. We have 2 kitties. Looking at 2-3 bedroom & 2 bathroom houses in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Is anyone thinking of doing the food animal certificate program? That’s essentially my career goal so it makes sense for me to do it :happy:

Any current students willing to PM me on average hours spent studying/class?

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when we have to have the FAFSA filled out by for Kansas and if there is a university code? I'm an alternate and my email didn't contain any of that information, but figured I should get it done with the two other schools I am filling it out for.

I haven't got any responses yet, but that is probably because they are all studying! I think that answers my question :laugh:

Honestly it completely depends on you. There are club meetings throughout the week during evening and lunch. You can spend all your free time studying or as little as you want. There is not a definitive answer. If you have an exam that week, you can guarantee you are studying more than on weeks you do not have exams but again that depends on the person

Does anyone know when we have to have the FAFSA filled out by for Kansas and if there is a university code? I'm an alternate and my email didn't contain any of that information, but figured I should get it done with the two other schools I am filling it out for.
There's a priority deadline of December 1st, but that's really only applicable to undergrad students since there aren't federal grants for vet students. I typically did my FAFSA in March/April each year and it was fine. I don't recall any specific code for the vet school, just search Kansas State University and it should pop up.
Honestly it completely depends on you. There are club meetings throughout the week during evening and lunch. You can spend all your free time studying or as little as you want. There is not a definitive answer. If you have an exam that week, you can guarantee you are studying more than on weeks you do not have exams but again that depends on the person
I agree with this, it really varies also depending on how well you utilize your time while studying. I know I would certainly have some days I was "studying" all evening but only maybe an hour or two was actual productive study time. I tried to give myself at least one evening a week I didn't study at all, however second and third year this wasn't always possible since we more often had two tests per week.

As far as amount of time spent in class, you can see the current class schedules here (hopefully these links work):
First and second year were generally 8 or 9 until 4 or 5 most days, with an hour break for lunch. Third year we had afternoons off more often depending on when we had junior surgery lab or clinical skills (not everyone goes every time that's listed on the schedule).

There's a priority deadline of December 1st, but that's really only applicable to undergrad students since there aren't federal grants for vet students. I typically did my FAFSA in March/April each year and it was fine. I don't recall any specific code for the vet school, just search Kansas State University and it should pop up.

I agree with this, it really varies also depending on how well you utilize your time while studying. I know I would certainly have some days I was "studying" all evening but only maybe an hour or two was actual productive study time. I tried to give myself at least one evening a week I didn't study at all, however second and third year this wasn't always possible since we more often had two tests per week.

As far as amount of time spent in class, you can see the current class schedules here (hopefully these links work):
First and second year were generally 8 or 9 until 4 or 5 most days, with an hour break for lunch. Third year we had afternoons off more often depending on when we had junior surgery lab or clinical skills (not everyone goes every time that's listed on the schedule).
Thank you for the link to the schedules. This is so helpful!

To any of the current students on here. Is there a link to the list of the clubs? Like I have an idea of what some are, but I would really like to see a full list.

To any of the current students on here. Is there a link to the list of the clubs? Like I have an idea of what some are, but I would really like to see a full list.

If you look up KSU CVM student Faculty handbook (you shouldn't need a log in). There are lists of all the clubs, exam schedules, policies, etc. Literally just about everything you need to know about our school is on there, lol

if the google search doesn't work, try this link - Student Faculty Handbook | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University

The clubs are under Student Reps and Class Officers

For anyone wondering about file reviews- I called the admissions office today and they are already setting up phone appointments for reviews.

For anyone wondering about file reviews- I called the admissions office today and they are already setting up phone appointments for reviews.
Do you know if they are doing file reviews for people on the wait list, or just those who've been denied at this point? Thanks!

Do you know if they are doing file reviews for people on the wait list, or just those who've been denied at this point? Thanks!

You would have to ask admissions that question when you call!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I haven't got any responses yet, but that is probably because they are all studying! I think that answers my question :laugh:

I usually get up early and study an hour before class. We start class at 8-9am, have an hour lunch at noon which I usually spend studying or at a lunch meeting for a club, then have some lecture and labs in the afternoon and end anywhere between 3 and 5pm depending on what we're doing in lab and how long it takes. I usually end up going home after class for a break and to eat and then study for ~3 hours a night but more the night directly before an exam. It is a lot but it's definitely manageable. Most people are involved with something related to school but outside of academics whether that be a club or a student worker position on top of having a little bit of a social life. There are some nights where I don't study at all to catch up on sleep or do personal things and that's okay. Those nights are few and far between but they happen.

The best advice I could give an incoming student is a) start looking at canine anatomy prior to the start of classes because gross anatomy is A LOT of new vocabulary and b) everyone will tell you this and you'll probably still fall into the trap like all first years do (myself included) but pre-read the powerpoint for lecture and every night review every lecture you had that day and don't fall into the trap of only studying for the subject that your exam is on that week. Once you get on that roller coaster of studying it's so hard to get off before the semester ends.

Feel free to reach out with any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
So I heard back from the other school I was waiting for and I will be going there instead... kinda sad to not be joining the K-State Vet Med Fam but now someone else can! The other school is just a better fit curriculum and extracurricular-wise for me. K-State's Facilities are so nice so it's too bad I won't be there to experience those because they made really like the school. The ambassadors/faculty were also great. However, I might come for the SAVMA symposium that K-State is hosting next year!!

I usually get up early and study an hour before class. We start class at 8-9am, have an hour lunch at noon which I usually spend studying or at a lunch meeting for a club, then have some lecture and labs in the afternoon and end anywhere between 3 and 5pm depending on what we're doing in lab and how long it takes. I usually end up going home after class for a break and to eat and then study for ~3 hours a night but more the night directly before an exam. It is a lot but it's definitely manageable. Most people are involved with something related to school but outside of academics whether that be a club or a student worker position on top of having a little bit of a social life. There are some nights where I don't study at all to catch up on sleep or do personal things and that's okay. Those nights are few and far between but they happen.

The best advice I could give an incoming student is a) start looking at canine anatomy prior to the start of classes because gross anatomy is A LOT of new vocabulary and b) everyone will tell you this and you'll probably still fall into the trap like all first years do (myself included) but pre-read the powerpoint for lecture and every night review every lecture you had that day and don't fall into the trap of only studying for the subject that your exam is on that week. Once you get on that roller coaster of studying it's so hard to get off before the semester ends.

Feel free to reach out with any questions!
I’m looking into purchasing the “Guide to the Dissection of the Dog” and was assuming it’s ok to buy the 7th edition vs the 8th?

Also, I highly recommend Thriftbooks.com, I’ve gotten many textbooks off here & theyve all been in good condition.

I’m looking into purchasing the “Guide to the Dissection of the Dog” and was assuming it’s ok to buy the 7th edition vs the 8th?

Also, I highly recommend Thriftbooks.com, I’ve gotten many textbooks off here & theyve all been in good condition.
Not a Kansas student, but Penn uses it. They’re virtually identical aside from the fact that the 8th edition has some extra figures that can be helpful, and a few more bolded terms. The way I and my classmates do it is we get a 7th edition to use as a dirty copy in lab and keep an 8th edition at home to study from. Just wanted to pass that info along even if it’s not entirely the same at Kansas.

Just fyi the dissection guides are pretty much the only textbooks you actually need the whole 4 years, I purchased a couple of the optional ones and never used them. It just depends on how you prefer to study, but for me the class notes and occasional online resources were plenty!

Just fyi the dissection guides are pretty much the only textbooks you actually need the whole 4 years, I purchased a couple of the optional ones and never used them. It just depends on how you prefer to study, but for me the class notes and occasional online resources were plenty!
The one I mentioned above or is it a different one through the school?

The one I mentioned above or is it a different one through the school?
Unless things have changed the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is what you'll use first semester, second semester I believe the school provides the large animal dissection guide.

Unless things have changed the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is what you'll use first semester, second semester I believe the school provides the large animal dissection guide.
Out of curiosity, which guide do you guys use for large animal dissection?

It is one made by our professor. We get a digital copy and can print it out.
Huh. Maybe that’s the norm. Ours is by our professor as well. One for horse and one for ruminants.

:thumbup:

I found a quick reference helpful for clinics, as well as a pharmacology reference like Plumb or Papich. Plumbs online/app is nice, maybe still free/cheap for students? Otherwise more or less ignore the lists and save your money unless it's something you really want.

:thumbup:

I found a quick reference helpful for clinics, as well as a pharmacology reference like Plumb or Papich. Plumbs online/app is nice, maybe still free/cheap for students? Otherwise more or less ignore the lists and save your money unless it's something you really want.
The Plumb's app is $5 for a year for students currently! (Not sure if that's $5/year for as long as you're a student or just for one year, but you don't really need it before 4th year anyway)

Just sent in my deposit today so officially committed to KState! EMAW :smuggrin:

Reactions: 5 users
I accepted my position at Kansas State! Can wait to meet you all in fall :)

• Love
I am officially accepting my seat!! So excited!! :love:
Any housing suggestions? I'll be out in manhattan during my spring break so I can tour and scope everything out!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I am officially accepting my seat!! So excited!! :love:
Any housing suggestions? I'll be out in manhattan during my spring break so I can tour and scope everything out!
I lived at The Pointe on College Ave first and second year, and Pebblebrook Apartments now, I've had good experiences at both! The Pointe is closer to campus, but a bit more expensive and more undergrads tend to live there.

Random question- is there anywhere to buy vet school apparel outside of the school? I can’t find anything & want to spend some money (that I should be saving, shhh).

Random question- is there anywhere to buy vet school apparel outside of the school? I can’t find anything & want to spend some money (that I should be saving, shhh).

Most apparel is through the school. There is one store (Rally House) that had like 1 or 2 shirts about vet med but everything else is through the school. They will be making an online store sometime in late March that you should be able to buy stuff whether you are a current student or a future student

Hey guys! for the laptop/tablet that we have to purchase when you do we need to pay for that? will it be far enough out that it can be covered in my student loans?

Hey guys! for the laptop/tablet that we have to purchase when you do we need to pay for that? will it be far enough out that it can be covered in my student loans?
Yes, you'll be billed for it at the same time as tuition and other fees.