Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got mine today! I live in NW Arkansas so maybe I'm a little closerHas anyone received their welcome packet in the mail? Mine hasn’t arrived yet and the email said we should’ve gotten it by the 5th
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I just got mine today! I live in NW Arkansas so maybe I'm a little closerHas anyone received their welcome packet in the mail? Mine hasn’t arrived yet and the email said we should’ve gotten it by the 5th
I live in Ohio, so maybe today or tomorrow! Thanks for letting me know!I just got mine today! I live in NW Arkansas so maybe I'm a little closer
Has anyone received their welcome packet in the mail? Mine hasn’t arrived yet and the email said we should’ve gotten it by the 5th
Just got my packet today, and I’m in WI. Mine was postmarked 2/4, so no wonder it didn’t come the 5th!
Share with all of us!Any current students willing to PM me on average hours spent studying/class?
I haven't got any responses yet, but that is probably because they are all studying! I think that answers my questionShare with all of us!

I haven't got any responses yet, but that is probably because they are all studying! I think that answers my question![]()
There's a priority deadline of December 1st, but that's really only applicable to undergrad students since there aren't federal grants for vet students. I typically did my FAFSA in March/April each year and it was fine. I don't recall any specific code for the vet school, just search Kansas State University and it should pop up.Does anyone know when we have to have the FAFSA filled out by for Kansas and if there is a university code? I'm an alternate and my email didn't contain any of that information, but figured I should get it done with the two other schools I am filling it out for.
I agree with this, it really varies also depending on how well you utilize your time while studying. I know I would certainly have some days I was "studying" all evening but only maybe an hour or two was actual productive study time. I tried to give myself at least one evening a week I didn't study at all, however second and third year this wasn't always possible since we more often had two tests per week.Honestly it completely depends on you. There are club meetings throughout the week during evening and lunch. You can spend all your free time studying or as little as you want. There is not a definitive answer. If you have an exam that week, you can guarantee you are studying more than on weeks you do not have exams but again that depends on the person
Thank you for the link to the schedules. This is so helpful!There's a priority deadline of December 1st, but that's really only applicable to undergrad students since there aren't federal grants for vet students. I typically did my FAFSA in March/April each year and it was fine. I don't recall any specific code for the vet school, just search Kansas State University and it should pop up.
I agree with this, it really varies also depending on how well you utilize your time while studying. I know I would certainly have some days I was "studying" all evening but only maybe an hour or two was actual productive study time. I tried to give myself at least one evening a week I didn't study at all, however second and third year this wasn't always possible since we more often had two tests per week.
As far as amount of time spent in class, you can see the current class schedules here (hopefully these links work):
First and second year were generally 8 or 9 until 4 or 5 most days, with an hour break for lunch. Third year we had afternoons off more often depending on when we had junior surgery lab or clinical skills (not everyone goes every time that's listed on the schedule).
To any of the current students on here. Is there a link to the list of the clubs? Like I have an idea of what some are, but I would really like to see a full list.
Do you know if they are doing file reviews for people on the wait list, or just those who've been denied at this point? Thanks!For anyone wondering about file reviews- I called the admissions office today and they are already setting up phone appointments for reviews.
Do you know if they are doing file reviews for people on the wait list, or just those who've been denied at this point? Thanks!
I haven't got any responses yet, but that is probably because they are all studying! I think that answers my question![]()
I’m looking into purchasing the “Guide to the Dissection of the Dog” and was assuming it’s ok to buy the 7th edition vs the 8th?I usually get up early and study an hour before class. We start class at 8-9am, have an hour lunch at noon which I usually spend studying or at a lunch meeting for a club, then have some lecture and labs in the afternoon and end anywhere between 3 and 5pm depending on what we're doing in lab and how long it takes. I usually end up going home after class for a break and to eat and then study for ~3 hours a night but more the night directly before an exam. It is a lot but it's definitely manageable. Most people are involved with something related to school but outside of academics whether that be a club or a student worker position on top of having a little bit of a social life. There are some nights where I don't study at all to catch up on sleep or do personal things and that's okay. Those nights are few and far between but they happen.
The best advice I could give an incoming student is a) start looking at canine anatomy prior to the start of classes because gross anatomy is A LOT of new vocabulary and b) everyone will tell you this and you'll probably still fall into the trap like all first years do (myself included) but pre-read the powerpoint for lecture and every night review every lecture you had that day and don't fall into the trap of only studying for the subject that your exam is on that week. Once you get on that roller coaster of studying it's so hard to get off before the semester ends.
Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Not a Kansas student, but Penn uses it. They’re virtually identical aside from the fact that the 8th edition has some extra figures that can be helpful, and a few more bolded terms. The way I and my classmates do it is we get a 7th edition to use as a dirty copy in lab and keep an 8th edition at home to study from. Just wanted to pass that info along even if it’s not entirely the same at Kansas.I’m looking into purchasing the “Guide to the Dissection of the Dog” and was assuming it’s ok to buy the 7th edition vs the 8th?
Also, I highly recommend Thriftbooks.com, I’ve gotten many textbooks off here & theyve all been in good condition.
Just fyi the dissection guides are pretty much the only textbooks you actually need the whole 4 years, I purchased a couple of the optional ones and never used them. It just depends on how you prefer to study, but for me the class notes and occasional online resources were plenty!I’m looking into purchasing the “Guide to the Dissection of the Dog” and was assuming it’s ok to buy the 7th edition vs the 8th?
Also, I highly recommend Thriftbooks.com, I’ve gotten many textbooks off here & theyve all been in good condition.
The one I mentioned above or is it a different one through the school?Just fyi the dissection guides are pretty much the only textbooks you actually need the whole 4 years, I purchased a couple of the optional ones and never used them. It just depends on how you prefer to study, but for me the class notes and occasional online resources were plenty!
Unless things have changed the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is what you'll use first semester, second semester I believe the school provides the large animal dissection guide.The one I mentioned above or is it a different one through the school?
Out of curiosity, which guide do you guys use for large animal dissection?Unless things have changed the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is what you'll use first semester, second semester I believe the school provides the large animal dissection guide.
Out of curiosity, which guide do you guys use for large animal dissection?
Huh. Maybe that’s the norm. Ours is by our professor as well. One for horse and one for ruminants.It is one made by our professor. We get a digital copy and can print it out.
Just fyi the dissection guides are pretty much the only textbooks you actually need the whole 4 years, I purchased a couple of the optional ones and never used them. It just depends on how you prefer to study, but for me the class notes and occasional online resources were plenty!
The Plumb's app is $5 for a year for students currently! (Not sure if that's $5/year for as long as you're a student or just for one year, but you don't really need it before 4th year anyway)👍
I found a quick reference helpful for clinics, as well as a pharmacology reference like Plumb or Papich. Plumbs online/app is nice, maybe still free/cheap for students? Otherwise more or less ignore the lists and save your money unless it's something you really want.
I lived at The Pointe on College Ave first and second year, and Pebblebrook Apartments now, I've had good experiences at both! The Pointe is closer to campus, but a bit more expensive and more undergrads tend to live there.I am officially accepting my seat!! So excited!! 😍
Any housing suggestions? I'll be out in manhattan during my spring break so I can tour and scope everything out!
Random question- is there anywhere to buy vet school apparel outside of the school? I can’t find anything & want to spend some money (that I should be saving, shhh).
Yes, you'll be billed for it at the same time as tuition and other fees.Hey guys! for the laptop/tablet that we have to purchase when you do we need to pay for that? will it be far enough out that it can be covered in my student loans?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.