KCU Joplin Inaugural Class. Is it Risky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingy95

BINGSM1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a bit apprehensive about being in the first class to matriculate at KCU Joplin. I know KCU is one of the best DO schools and I am grateful to have been admitted. Concerned about how residency programs view graduates coming out of a new program?

Will I be at a disadvantage or are they just looking at my USMLE scores?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have good scores on your national boards. That is what they care about.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're an unknown quantity, so that does make it harder.

Medical schools can be feeders to residency programs in the same way that UG schools are feeders to med schools.

So I am a bit apprehensive about being in the first class to matriculate at KCU Joplin. I know KCU is one of the best DO schools and I am grateful to have been admitted. Concerned about how residency programs view graduates coming out of a new program?

Will I be at a disadvantage or are they just looking at my USMLE scores?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Did you matriculate there? I am in a similar situation this year.

First year at Joplin (so close to summer 0.o). We are thus far statistically similar the KC campus in our tests. I wouldn't worry about being unprepared for residency by coming here. Our outcomes will likely be similar to KC for the Match.

Many have said this before, but it doesn’t matter so much where you go. It matters more how hard you’re willing o work. Example: a new neurosurgeon just joined a practice near my home. He is a DO so I looked at which school he went to. He was part of the inaugural class at PNWU. Now he’s a neurosurgeon. Yes that is n=1. But it holds true that if you’re willing to work, you’ll do fine. You could go to Harvard and not work hard and then not match.

This also doesn’t discount hiccups that come with newer schools. But more important is how much you’re willing to work.