2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Any acceptances from early January interviews? Thanks!
Interviewed 01/11 and no word yet!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Question for current students: how important is orientation week? Do we have to attend?

Hey guys. I had my interview a few days ago while I had covid for the second time. I feel like I was not thinking straight and I could have done better. I didn't even prepare for the interview because I was so sick. Please send prayers and positive energy towards me because I am feeling sad about my experience. (KCU is great, I feel bad for what I was on my interview.) Thank you in advance!!

And no I did not tell KCU. I didn't want to make an excuse.
Current 4th year. I did a residency interview while sick with COVID. Bet you did better than you think

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students: how important is orientation week? Do we have to attend?
First week attendance is mandatory in person. Second week though, most are zoom (but still mandatory lol)

Current first year. Orientation events are all mandatory, we had one day of zoom/online stuff, and mostly in person orientation. They may change that depending on what COVID looks like this summer. The first part of orientation is probably what’d you’d think like financial aid, info about school resources, etc. at the end of orientation they start med school 101 which helps you get oriented to how school will work, we listened to a lecture to hear how it’d go from one of our SFM professors this past orientation. It was super helpful, but whatever day they tell you to be there just plan to be present for all the stuff and to be busy lol. I was given advice to move in like at least a week before orientation to get settled and it was good advice imo. It was nice not having to come home from orientation and unpack/organize too much.

Can anyone that’s been accepted let me know when drug test and immunizations are due?
Think it was May 1st last year; if your schedule doesn't allow everything to be done (for series like Hep B) you just need to show them you have started the first shot and working on the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
LET'S GO! Just got the A via email. I was starting to sweat as this was one of my top DO choices. Interviewed on 01/11. Excited to be a part of this journey after three application cycles. Mama, your boy is finally gonna become a doctor!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted, but this is an A in my book!
Anyone here know what this processes is like, or have any experience with moving from a waitlist to an acceptance?

I have to keep my spirits up!

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted, but this is an A in my book!
Anyone here know what this processes is like, or have any experience with moving from a waitlist to an acceptance?

I have to keep my spirits up!
Yup! I was WL last year and got in! There’s lots of WL movement around the June-July time. I got in first week of June last year. I’ve written a longer post about it earlier on this forum I believe but feel free to PM with specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Could any current students give an idea of what the 1st semester schedule is like? Thanks

Could any current students give an idea of what the 1st semester schedule is like? Thanks
So it really varies week to week. At the start of the semester you’ll get access to the outlook calendar so you can kind of get an idea on what it’ll be like. Some weeks have a lot of lectures, others are super light. If you have a full day of lecture it’s typically 8-12, lunch break till 1, then lecture from 1-4, that varies a lot though no week is the same so it’s hard to say. Plus you don’t have to be there in person so you can kind of dictate your own schedule for lecture. For your first block SFM there’s no lab just lecture, and your second block MSK, you’ll have 2 hours of anatomy lab about 1-2 times a week, sometimes they stack it with OMM lab so you’d have omm lab from 8-10, then anatomy lab from 10-12 and that’s your morning. ECOS omm lab is super heavy the first half of first semester then it lightens up. On test weeks typically the schedule is lighter but it doesn’t mean that’s always the case, they try to at least give you Thursday all day off before a Friday test if they can but just depends. Hope that helps the schedules are pretty random so it’s hard to give a definitive answer.

So it really varies week to week. At the start of the semester you’ll get access to the outlook calendar so you can kind of get an idea on what it’ll be like. Some weeks have a lot of lectures, others are super light. If you have a full day of lecture it’s typically 8-12, lunch break till 1, then lecture from 1-4, that varies a lot though no week is the same so it’s hard to say. Plus you don’t have to be there in person so you can kind of dictate your own schedule for lecture. For your first block SFM there’s no lab just lecture, and your second block MSK, you’ll have 2 hours of anatomy lab about 1-2 times a week, sometimes they stack it with OMM lab so you’d have omm lab from 8-10, then anatomy lab from 10-12 and that’s your morning. ECOS omm lab is super heavy the first half of first semester then it lightens up. On test weeks typically the schedule is lighter but it doesn’t mean that’s always the case, they try to at least give you Thursday all day off before a Friday test if they can but just depends. Hope that helps the schedules are pretty random so it’s hard to give a definitive answer.
Thanks that really helps!

So, is the class full because people are going on waitlist?

Yikes! I just saw the KCU-Joplin Facebook page, and the number of members jumped by +50 in the last week.

KCU-Joplin COM 2026

Edit: might be bc they accepted all the people waiting to be let in all at once? not sure

Last edited:
Questions for any current students:

How is the curriculum? Do they prepare you well for boards? Is there any group-based learning? I have heard KCU curriculum is one of the hardest, any reasons for that?

I am seeing mixed information on the lectures between the KC and Joplin campus. Do they have separate lectures or do both campuses get the same lectures?

How are the clinicals? Are Joplin students given preference to the two hospitals in Joplin?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I was looking up the crime rate in Joplin and I found that it is only 1 % safer than other use cities (I found that here Joplin, 64804 Crime Rates and Crime Statistics - NeighborhoodScout). For those of you that live in Joplin/go to school there. Is it safe? Also, is Webb City safer? I was thinking I may live there instead of in Joplin.

Thanks!

is joplin safe
Hi! Current 4th year in Joplin. I have lived in the same apartment for all four years and I am fairly close to the retail areas, where lots of restaurants are. I feel that Joplin is safe, and I have not had issues related to safety at all as I go around town. Webb City is also safe and it is doable to commute. I know people in Carl Junction and Neosho as well.

Hey guys. I had my interview a few days ago while I had covid for the second time. I feel like I was not thinking straight and I could have done better. I didn't even prepare for the interview because I was so sick. Please send prayers and positive energy towards me because I am feeling sad about my experience. (KCU is great, I feel bad for what I was on my interview.) Thank you in advance!!

And no I did not tell KCU. I didn't want to make an excuse.
Just wanted to say that I didn’t feel too great about my interview and was bummed/assumed I had killed my shot but I got the A so don’t give up!!!

Questions for any current students:

How is the curriculum? Do they prepare you well for boards? Is there any group-based learning? I have heard KCU curriculum is one of the hardest, any reasons for that?

I am seeing mixed information on the lectures between the KC and Joplin campus. Do they have separate lectures or do both campuses get the same lectures?

How are the clinicals? Are Joplin students given preference to the two hospitals in Joplin?

Thanks!
Hi! Current 4th year in Joplin.

Year 1 is essentially "what goes right" and year 2 sounds is like "what goes wrong". I felt well prepared for boards. I did use outside resources for board prep as well, but that was based on my personal preference and learning style. There is some group-based learning, but someone in pre-clinicals might be able to better comment on this as I am a few years removed from classroom. There was a lot of lecture style and an occasional problem based learning (more in the second year with pathology). I cannot say how the curriculum compares to other schools, as I did not attend other programs, but I feel that medical school curriculum will be hard no matter what due to the sheer amount of information you have to learn in such a short time.

Lectures are split between the two campuses. All lectures are shared. They are Live on one campus and streamed in real time to the other campus, with mics available to ask questions cross campus. Some professors travel between campuses to alternate the location they are live at, and increase in person access for questions between the campuses. Both campuses also sit for the same exams, with the same questions, at the same time. Occasionally, I remember a professor giving the lecture live on one campus then live to the other the next day or two, and then both versions were available to watch on Mediasite later. Unless noted (which was uncommon) lectures were available to replay later.

Clinical sites are given in a lottery system. Joplin students are given priority to Joplin sites (both hospitals in Joplin as well as Pittsburg, KS which is 30-40 min away, easy drive) and Springfield, MO. KC students have preference for KC. But the other sites across the country are fair game for both campuses. I stayed in Joplin at one of the hospitals for my clinicals and I do not regret it at all. It has prepared me well and I feel ready (as I can be) to enter into residency.

Hope that helps!

Year 1 is essentially "what goes right" and year 2 sounds is like "what goes wrong". I felt well prepared for boards. I did use outside resources for board prep as well, but that was based on my personal preference and learning style. There is some group-based learning, but someone in pre-clinicals might be able to better comment on this as I am a few years removed from classroom. There was a lot of lecture style and an occasional problem based learning (more in the second year with pathology). I cannot say how the curriculum compares to other schools, as I did not attend other programs, but I feel that medical school curriculum will be hard no matter what due to the sheer amount of information you have to learn in such a short time.

Lectures are split between the two campuses. All lectures are shared. They are Live on one campus and streamed in real time to the other campus, with mics available to ask questions cross campus. Some professors travel between campuses to alternate the location they are live at, and increase in person access for questions between the campuses. Both campuses also sit for the same exams, with the same questions, at the same time. Occasionally, I remember a professor giving the lecture live on one campus then live to the other the next day or two, and then both versions were available to watch on Mediasite later. Unless noted (which was uncommon) lectures were available to replay later.

Clinical sites are given in a lottery system. Joplin students are given priority to Joplin sites (both hospitals in Joplin as well as Pittsburg, KS which is 30-40 min away, easy drive) and Springfield, MO. KC students have preference for KC. But the other sites across the country are fair game for both campuses. I stayed in Joplin at one of the hospitals for my clinicals and I do not regret it at all. It has prepared me well and I feel ready (as I can be) to enter into residency.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! Really helpful!

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! Really helpful!
Hi! Current 1st year, bellawriterchic pretty much covered everything, the only thing I’d add is in first year now (starting second semester) we’ve been doing small group clinical cases where we walk through a case and try to form differential diagnoses with a clinical faculty in groups of prob 8-10. We do them on zoom right now with KC/Joplin combined. I enjoy it and it takes less than an hour. The case is usually similar to what we are learning in systems courses. I think in second year they’ve been doing small group problem based learning as well as the Simulation lab in small groups with the simulated robot patients. So far in my opinion you get a pretty well rounded education as far as small group vs lecture vs lab.

As far as it being one of the hardest I’ve heard that a lot lol which is funny, but like the 4th year said it’s hard bc it’s med school. KCU has a gazillion resources for you and it’s definitely doable to pass and do well. Helps that the grades are P/F now as well.

i
Hi! Current 1st year, bellawriterchic pretty much covered everything, the only thing I’d add is in first year now (starting second semester) we’ve been doing small group clinical cases where we walk through a case and try to form differential diagnoses with a clinical faculty in groups of prob 8-10. We do them on zoom right now with KC/Joplin combined. I enjoy it and it takes less than an hour. The case is usually similar to what we are learning in systems courses. I think in second year they’ve been doing small group problem based learning as well as the Simulation lab in small groups with the simulated robot patients. So far in my opinion you get a pretty well rounded education as far as small group vs lecture vs lab.

As far as it being one of the hardest I’ve heard that a lot lol which is funny, but like the 4th year said it’s hard bc it’s med school. KCU has a gazillion resources for you and it’s definitely doable to pass and do well. Helps that the grades are P/F now as well.
Good to hear. Thank you!!

I’m gonna be checking out KCU in a few weeks for a campus tour. I’m gonna be there for a couple of days and wanted to check out housing options. Any recommendations? Are there particular areas where most students live? I hear River Market is the best area to find housing. I’m trying to find a balance between affordable and safe while having stuff to do in my downtime.

I’m one of those who doesn’t like going to lectures. Will I have to go to campus everyday for mandatory stuff or is it just a few days a week type of thing?

I’m gonna be checking out KCU in a few weeks for a campus tour. I’m gonna be there for a couple of days and wanted to check out housing options. Any recommendations? Are there particular areas where most students live? I hear River Market is the best area to find housing. I’m trying to find a balance between affordable and safe while having stuff to do in my downtime.

I’m one of those who doesn’t like going to lectures. Will I have to go to campus everyday for mandatory stuff or is it just a few days a week type of thing?
Are you touring KC campus or Joplin? I think lots of people live in north KC or the river market. Not sure what’s popular though since I’m in Joplin.

You don’t have to go to lecture and you def won’t need to be on campus every day. Prob a few times a week for lab. During orientation you’ll have to be there every day but not for actual classes.

Hey everyone!

I was looking up the crime rate in Joplin and I found that it is only 1 % safer than other use cities (I found that here Joplin, 64804 Crime Rates and Crime Statistics - NeighborhoodScout). For those of you that live in Joplin/go to school there. Is it safe? Also, is Webb City safer? I was thinking I may live there instead of in Joplin.

Thanks!
Okay I think Joplin is pretty safe compared to where I came from… that being said someone did steal my bike a couple weeks after I moved here. Don’t leave anything outside your house 🤷‍♀️

There’s a lot of drugs and homeless people in Joplin… I don’t think it’s really any worse than any other city but the area is pretty poor. The people are, for the most part, really nice. As far as crime goes, I’d imagine it’s mostly drug related - not a ton of shootings or anything happening in the booming metropolis of Joplin….

Housing is pretty cheap here so you could definitely get yourself in a nicer part of town and then you really don’t need to worry about much. My neighbors are all pretty cool and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of drama around this part of town. I have no issues walking up the street to the gas station or a restaurant and don’t feel like I have to worry about getting mugged or anything.

Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist?

Declined my acceptance! Hope it goes to one of you lovely people <3

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Is it possible to change your campus preference after applying? I said I only wanted KC but got waitlisted and would actually prefer to go to Joplin now lol. Sorry for asking this question especially if it has been answered already.

Is it possible to change your campus preference after applying? I said I only wanted KC but got waitlisted and would prefer to go to Joplin now, lol. Sorry for asking this question, especially if it has been answered already.
The waitlist doesn't have campus preference, and they will assign a campus to you if you get accepted from the waitlist.

The waitlist doesn't have campus preference, and they will assign a campus to you if you get accepted from the waitlist.
Even if you chose to be only considered for one of the campuses? It’s been a while since I submitted the primary so I don’t exactly remember what it said about it

At that 5 week mark from the 2/1 interview .......... hopefully we hear back soon? This wait feels eternal

If anyone hasn’t sent an update or LOI letter I would 🤔