2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Post II-R, sad day! It was my top choice.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone get an email from admissions saying your waitlist status is not available on workday and they apologize for the glitch but it doesn’t affect your status on the waitlist? They went on to say this issue can’t be fixed. Way to amplify my anxiety lol

Update: It’s happening to everyone on the waitlist this glitch

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if students are required to wear masks while on campus?

Hey everyone I have an interview tomorrow can anyone give me any advice on how to prepare ?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone I have an interview tomorrow can anyone give me any advice on how to prepare ?
Go through the interview questions on Sdn for KCU. Go through your primary and secondary applications to review your answers. Go through generic questions like why medicine, why DO. Review the school's mission and values and why you are a great fit for their school. Get your outfit together. Prepare yourself mentally.

Reactions: 1 users
Go through the interview questions on Sdn for KCU. Go through your primary and secondary applications to review your answers. Go through generic questions like why medicine, why DO. Review the school's mission and values and why you are a great fit for their school. Get your outfit together. Prepare yourself mentally.
Don’t forget thank you emails to interviewers (if you need a an example I can send you mine just dm me) also maybe an LOI

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd chime in about housing after visiting KCU recently. Most of the decent apartments seem to be less than 5 minutes from campus. Pretty much all are in the River Market area with some more towards downtown. I also noticed a few decent apartments in North Kansas City (still less than 10 minutes from campus) and the area is in the suburbs with all the stuff you find in suburbs such as grocery stores, etc.

Anything east of the campus should be avoided. Essentially, you should be looking north, west, or south, but I would say stay close to campus as much as possible.

Plenty of parking on campus (which is free) so parking won't be an issue. Slightly disappointed with the public transportation system there, but I planned on bringing a car to campus anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much ! I had the interview today and I think it well but I’m still decompressing, it was a long day . To those who have acceptances or were put on the waitlist how long did it take them to get back to you ?

Thank you so much ! I had the interview today and I think it well but I’m still decompressing, it was a long day . To those who have acceptances or were put on the waitlist how long did it take them to get back to you ?
For me about 3.5 weeks from interview to A

I would not put a lot of weight on what other people say for how long it took to get their responses. It appears that they are behind in their admissions review at this moment. I interviewed six weeks ago yesterday. In the interview, they said they have a six week turnaround and if we haven't heard by the six week mark, to call admissions. I called yesterday and whoever I talked to said that hopefully I would hear by early next week.

For people who have emailed admissions about various things, how fast do they typically respond?

Does anyone know of a KCU student who set up their own 3rd year rotations (full core site or even a few out rotations)? I would love to ask someone a few questions.

Wow I’m noticing they really take a long time to make admissions decisions . Most schools say 6-8 weeks but get back to you within a week or so . Good luck to you though and congrats again!

Does anyone know of a KCU student who set up their own 3rd year rotations (full core site or even a few out rotations)? I would love to ask someone a few questions.
Usually they have a presentation about how to do this in the fall... they suggest securing your sites over the summer after MS1. It's a process and there's some paperwork on their website that needs to be filled out.

Usually they have a presentation about how to do this in the fall... they suggest securing your sites over the summer after MS1. It's a process and there's some paperwork on their website that needs to be filled
Usually they have a presentation about how to do this in the fall... they suggest securing your sites over the summer after MS1. It's a process and there's some paperwork on their website that needs to be filled out.
Thank you!

Do you know if you have to find someone to be your preceptor? Is it a difficult process? Do you think it makes one less competitive when it comes time to apply for residency! Asking because I live in a place close to Joplin that might and want to start looking/asking around at the hospital I work at in advance!

Hi! I have a couple questions for any current students. Thanks so much in advance!

1. What extracurriculars are there?
2. Are there any student led free clinic?
3. Are they any pre clinical clerkship?
4. So for the curriculum, in the first year is what’s right. In the second year is what’s wrong. Is the curriculum integrated?
5. How is the social life/night life and what do students do for fun in Joplin?
6. How collaborative is the school? Do most students work together or are people on their own?
7. How approachable are the professors? Do you really get to know them and vice versa?

Does anyone have any experience with the COVID vaccine declination form? If so please message me separately

Did anyone who interviewed 3-22 hear a decision yet ?

Interviewed 3/2 and checked in last week and was told they are still taking the full 6 weeks.

The master's students were informed of their decisions today apparently according to my friend in the master's program

Interviewed 3/2 and checked in last week and was told they are still taking the full 6 weeks.
You interviewed 3/2 and they still haven’t given you an answer ?

Yeah, was told I should hear this week.
I interviewed 01/19 and waited the full 6 weeks for the admissions decision. Mine showed up on the Workday site on a Thursday like other prior interviewees, so you might expect to see yours tomorrow at some point.

Accepted! Interviewed 3/2

• Love
Trying to decide between KCU-COM Kansas City Campus vs PCOM-GA since pcom is closer to home. Any insight??

I would love to get some input from current or former students on how to study well enough for in-class exams while simultaneously preparing for boards so I don't get overwhelmed during dedicated.

Is supplementing class material with AnKing, BnB, and Pathoma doable or is it going to be tough to handle with class lectures? How do you guys study while also having a steady workflow for board prep? I would love to hear some tips from current or former students.

So I was recently waitlisted but my Workday account doesn’t reflect that. Does anyone else have this issue? I’m not sure if I need to call them to confirm

So I was recently waitlisted but my Workday account doesn’t reflect that. Does anyone else have this issue? I’m not sure if I need to call them to confirm
Yes, they sent out an email about month ago stating that recent workday updates removed it and that they were not able to put the waitlist status back on it.