King of the Hill Snake Beating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxbox

CSU PVM Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a little off topic, but was wondering what others might think of this episode if you might have caught it tonight.
In this episode, Josh, a pet snake given to Bobby, was not appreciated by the Hill family and was flushed down the toilet. So now a mass panic breaks out over the town and people are sent into the sewer to capture the snake. So the snake was found minding its own business not bothering anyone... then 3 people with blunt tools grab the snake and bludgeon it to death (you see this by watching shadows, but it is very obvious what is going on). Hank Hill says they will just tell Bobby that the snake was brought to a farm. They should have had the snake really taken to a farm and not bludgeoned to death... I was very appalled by the promotion of animal cruelty, especially after reading today about the two teenagers who put a live puppy into an oven and cooked her to death. I signed onto Fox.com to try to send a complaint, but they do not seem to have any links for that sort, so I posted a message in their community thread. I also emailed my local fox news station.

Now, it takes a lot to offend me and I really enjoy the humor of this show... however, there is really never a time and place for animal cruelty... especially just because people do not like the animal AND it was given to the boy as a gift... somewhat reminds me of the people who give puppies for presents... at least they usually do not end up beaten to death... maybe just back at the shelter....

sorry for the rant, but I would love to hear if anyone who saw this episode agrees with me...

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't see the episode myself, but from what it sounds like, it's not the kind of entertainment that I enjoy.

You mentioned the brutal puppy killing, and, off-topic from your post, but I'm glad those teens each got 10 years. I would've been fine with harsher penalty. The story said they covered her (I presume female, you mentioned female) with paint first, too. And they had the audacity to show other kids what they did. I can't imagine what those two 'humans' are going to grow up to be.

/end rant

I didn't see the episode myself, but from what it sounds like, it's not the kind of entertainment that I enjoy.

You mentioned the brutal puppy killing, and, off-topic from your post, but I'm glad those teens each got 10 years. I would've been fine with harsher penalty. The story said they covered her (I presume female, you mentioned female) with paint first, too. And they had the audacity to show other kids what they did. I can't imagine what those two 'humans' are going to grow up to be.

/end rant

I would have been happier with the death penalty :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is a little off topic, but was wondering what others might think of this episode if you might have caught it tonight.
In this episode, Josh, a pet snake given to Bobby, was not appreciated by the Hill family and was flushed down the toilet. So now a mass panic breaks out over the town and people are sent into the sewer to capture the snake. So the snake was found minding its own business not bothering anyone... then 3 people with blunt tools grab the snake and bludgeon it to death (you see this by watching shadows, but it is very obvious what is going on). Hank Hill says they will just tell Bobby that the snake was brought to a farm. They should have had the snake really taken to a farm and not bludgeoned to death... I was very appalled by the promotion of animal cruelty, especially after reading today about the two teenagers who put a live puppy into an oven and cooked her to death. I signed onto Fox.com to try to send a complaint, but they do not seem to have any links for that sort, so I posted a message in their community thread. I also emailed my local fox news station.

Now, it takes a lot to offend me and I really enjoy the humor of this show... however, there is really never a time and place for animal cruelty... especially just because people do not like the animal AND it was given to the boy as a gift... somewhat reminds me of the people who give puppies for presents... at least they usually do not end up beaten to death... maybe just back at the shelter....

sorry for the rant, but I would love to hear if anyone who saw this episode agrees with me...

give me a break... its a cartoon.

give me a break... its a cartoon.

And that makes it O.K. to show whatever one wants? Interesting.

Rather it should be - wow, this was in a cartoon? Something that children watch? Maybe one day they too can grow up and beat to death animals because they no longer want them, or just because it's fun.

And that makes it O.K. to show whatever one wants? Interesting.

Rather it should be - wow, this was in a cartoon? Something that children watch? Maybe one day they too can grow up and beat to death animals because they no longer want them, or just because it's fun.

these cartoons - family guy, simpsons, king of the hill, are all about parody... ie: not to be taken seriously.

Nobody is even remotely suggesting somebody gift a snake to a child, release it, and then beat it to death. The mere suggestion that this show should be taken literally is absurd. If you want, for the sake of argument, to say that the depiction of animal cruelty on any show is now off limits, then so should the depiction of sexual harassment against women, racially motivated violence, racial humor, sexual humor... all of it. Hell, we'd better cancel every TV show out there, because nothing is allowed to be funny - but especially not beating a cartoon snake in the sewer.

I'm not saying that animal welfare isn't important - what i am saying though, is that getting angry at this tv show is something i'd expect from PETA, or fanatics. Not rational people.

And what I'm saying is that showing it on a cartoon is far, far worse than a normal program. And yes, I do think those types of things are better not shown. If people find all those things you describe funny (sexual harassment, racial violence, etc), there is something definitely wrong there and I surely hope I'm not the only one who recognizes that. But it's gotten to the point where people DO think that material is funny, and for some deranged individuals, acceptable. Cartoons obviously have a younger target audience, even if the broadcasting company slaps a PG-13 or MA rating on it to save their rear ends. I don't mind the material in these cartoons, but they'd be better not aired on public, family-oriented television stations before children's bedtime. Surprisingly, cartoon network can at least get that part right.

And it is interesting that you would separate PETA from rational individuals...

I don't think it's right, but to me King of the Hill is one of those shows where you watch them and you learn what not to do, instead of what to do. The problem is not everyone gets the message, but you can censor everything. How many times have you seen a person beaten in a cartoon, kids show even, and said nothing? If you're going to starting censoring you'll get everything knocked off TV.

I think you’re overreacting. Shows say/do PC incorrect stuff all the time. I just saw a promo for that Sarah Silverman show on Comedy Central where she’s talking about putting people with AIDS on the moon. I mean if you’re going to say something horrible at least make it somewhat funny…jeez.

And it is interesting that you would separate PETA from rational individuals...
are you serious? the separation is similar in scale to the Grand Canyon.

to the OP, it does seem like you're blowing this out of proportion. while you're admirable for standing strong on an issue you consider very important, i simple don't share your sentiments. i agree that its a cartoon. its King of the Hill for crying out loud; i don't think too many people take that show seriously. its a bunch of rednecks, the redneckiest of them all being the one that was so afraid (i think i'm thinking of the right episode... he's afraid of everything) of the snake he couldnt do anything BUT kill it.

animal abuse is not ok. but neither is stealing pot and fireworks and getting really really high around a bonfire, blowing up microwaves, and reno911 is still on.

are you serious? the separation is similar in scale to the Grand Canyon.

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahaha. Sorry, gross over generalizations make me laugh. I like this game. Wonder when people will start doing the same for blacks, whites, Americans, Chinese, Republicans, rottweilers, etc. Oh wait.. they already do. :eek: Seeing the trees for the forest, and all that jazz.

I'm not pro-censorship - actually, I'm quite against censorship. But that doesn't mean I have to like everything that is shown, or think that it should be shown. They are free to show what they like, just as I'm free to think the hilarity of beating a snake on television the same as cooking a puppy. That is, zero hilarity. But I understand that people can laugh at that sort of thing. I bet there were dozens of people who laughed when they heard the dog story on the news. To each their own.

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahaha. Sorry, gross over generalizations make me laugh. I like this game. Wonder when people will start doing the same for blacks, whites, Americans, Chinese, Republicans, rottweilers, etc. Oh wait.. they already do. :eek: Seeing the trees for the forest, and all that jazz.

I'm not pro-censorship - actually, I'm quite against censorship. But that doesn't mean I have to like everything that is shown, or think that it should be shown. They are free to show what they like, just as I'm free to think the hilarity of beating a snake on television the same as cooking a puppy. That is, zero hilarity. But I understand that people can laugh at that sort of thing. I bet there were dozens of people who laughed when they heard the dog story on the news. To each their own.

Obviously (and i do mean obviously), equating the actual choking a puppy to that of a fictional event in a cartoon is unreasonable to most rational people. Further, I think its inflammatory and insulting to people everywhere (especially in this forum) that you would insinuate that someone would find the choking of a puppy funny.

Get a grip.

Obviously (and i do mean obviously), equating the actual choking a puppy to that of a fictional event in a cartoon is unreasonable to most rational people. Further, I think its inflammatory and insulting to people everywhere (especially in this forum) that you would insinuate that someone would find the choking of a puppy funny.

Get a grip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension

I think it inflammatory that you distort my words to make me seem irrational to try to make a point. I equated my amusement of the two events, not the actual events. If my amusement of both events was nill, as in I find neither funnier than the other, then they are equal in amusement factor. My statement was not vague, I find neither enjoyable. Furthermore, I did not in any manner imply that anyone on this forum would find either event enjoyable or less than enjoyable, but rather stated that there are (and I mean ARE) individuals that would find it amusing. I would hope that anyone that frequents these forums wouldn't, but those types of people exist - obviously since it was done by real live people, and this type of thing isn't a rare occurrence.

Thanks.

Edit for below:

Suck it up types of messages usually get a response, which is exactly what started it here. The if you don't agree with me you are all crazy types of messages also warrant a response.

Some people find the death penalty wrong. Some people don't see any problem at all with it. Saying one side or the other is (insert demeaning adjective here) is not the way to converse about such topics.

ummmmmmmm

chill out?

(i don't even want to know what would happen if some people on this board found out about a show called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...where they beat up turtles every episode :eek:)

I was bashed for complaining that L&O: CI bashes veterinarians (because it's "just a show"), too. Of course, L&O (the regular one) also had the police chief saying, "She was negative for HPV, so she couldn't have been a pro."

Sometimes, TV is idiotic and should be called out. The Simpsons did a snake-clubbing episode years ago, with Lisa trying to prevent it, which had ties to pigeon shoots and the like. Just let people type what they want to type without immediately bashing.

The same goes for some people who post on SDN...

I agree. The pompous ranting sometimes gets out of control on this website. Grow up people. You have a right to your opinions, but some people seriously need a conversation with a bar of soap.

Yo. THis is totally random, but you know what's even worse than the live-cooked puppy thing? Some people up in Maine actually did that to their 3yr old kid. Said the devil made em. I loved living in Maine, but s**t! The types of crime I heard about there made me want some good healthy drive-by shootings.
Makes me appreciate my screwed up childhood too.

"King of the hill" was created and is written by the same person that created "Beavis and Butthead." Other than those that disagree with the right to freedom of speech, the posters on this thread should be ashamed of themselves for even acknowledging on this forum the work of Mike Judge. As a youth, I thought that Beavis and Butthead could, at times, be hilarious. As an adult, I have better things to think about.

What happened to that poor dog, unfortunately, is not an isolated case. If even the people that hope to be the future veterinarians of this world spend their time arguing about a stupid cartoon when they could be 1) mentoring the displaced/disaffected youth that commit the aforementioned crimes, or 2) volunteering for organizations that treat abused animals, then nothing is going to change.

This whole thread is reminiscent of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back."

We all agree that there is way too much animal abuse: so get to work and counter it.

"King of the hill" was created and is written by the same person that created "Beavis and Butthead." Other than those that disagree with the right to freedom of speech, the posters on this thread should be ashamed of themselves for even acknowledging on this forum the work of Mike Judge. As a youth, I thought that Beavis and Butthead could, at times, be hilarious. As an adult, I have better things to think about.

What happened to that poor dog, unfortunately, is not an isolated case. If even the people that hope to be the future veterinarians of this world spend their time arguing about a stupid cartoon when they could be 1) mentoring the displaced/disaffected youth that commit the aforementioned crimes, or 2) volunteering for organizations that treat abused animals, then nothing is going to change.

This whole thread is reminiscent of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back."

We all agree that there is way too much animal abuse: so get to work and counter it.

Hoo-Ra!! I totally agree =)