Lecom-b or touro-nv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdew87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ALL REPLIES WILL BE APPRECIATED. i already put in deposit for touro but just got accepted to Lecom-B. Can people guide me where i should go.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you prefer anything about one over the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 on PBL vs. non-PBL. Also, how much research have you done on there clinical years? What types of places are there to do you 3rd/4th year rotations? LECOM-B and Touro-NV are two schools that I haven't done any research on so I can't give you any tips on their clinical years.

Other general things to consider is the location of your SO/family/friends. Cost. East Coast vs. semi-West Coast (I'm nost sure what NV is considered). Good luck choosing!

I personally liked PBL, but I will also second what Beck said about looking into years 3/4.

well i think there is big difference in tuition i think touro is 40k while lecomb is 28k. but i hav also heard that lecomb tuition is lower because they don't pay the hospitals you rotate at. dunno how true that is can anybody clarify? i think i will like pbl.

Did you read the pro's/con's of my DO school thread in the DO section? I believe both schools have a review.

I think I have also heard that LECOM doesn't pay for rotations, but as long as you can find clinical sites who cares if they paid or not. It's the quality of the sites not if they were paid for.

At 12k a yr difference ~50K over 4yrs is a pretty big difference; however, if you don't feel comfortable with pbl or you tend to procrastinate, then spend the money to go to Touro-NV!!!!

LECOM does not pay for rotations which is one of the reasons it is able to keep the tuition lower

does not paying for rotations effect their quality in general? i think it should less motivation for docs to teach u.

4th year LECOM-B here. PBL is the biggest issue. If you dig it, do it, if you have any doubts about it, go elsewhere. It's true they don't pay for rotations, but there are still plenty of them to go around. They vary in quality, but that could be said of anywhere, and if you want to, you can be out of state at big programs for all of your rotations anyway. Rotations require a little legwork, but they are extremely flexable. It's a give and take. I'm glad I did it though. Plus, FL is better than LV, by far.

bth has made several posts about Touro-NV. You should take everything with a grain of salt however, but I think there is some truth to their posts. Pros and cons of your DO school is a good thread to check too. Between the two, I'd chose LECOM-B personally.

I've seen both locations.

One freezes during the winter,
One frys during the summers.

Must be another location.... Hawaii ?

Members don't see this ad :)
bth has made several posts about Touro-NV. You should take everything with a grain of salt however, but I think there is some truth to their posts. Pros and cons of your DO school is a good thread to check too. Between the two, I'd chose LECOM-B personally.

bth has actually been making comments about Touro-CA, not Touro-NV

My $0.02 is that PBL vs. non-PBL should be the biggest factor. Go where you think you'll learn best.

Definitely agree with everyone else academically and geographically - PBL vs not-so-focused on PBL and weather.

Or if you want a different view:
-Do you want to make someone from the LECOM-B or Touro-NV waitlist happy?
-(jokingly) If you are a tennis fan, do you prefer Maria Sharapova (residence Bradenton) or Andre Agassi (residence Las Vegas)?

what is pbl?

PBL= problem based learning

It is a form of learning where you go through a medical case to highlight different learning issues. Then you learn the issues out of the textbooks and other means mostly on your own/ in small groups. It basically replaces lectures and makes learning a more active process including learning everything at once instead of one class subject at a time.

Do a search to find out more.

It is a form of learning where you go through a medical case to highlight different learning issues. Then you learn the issues out of the textbooks and other means mostly on your own/ in small groups. It basically replaces lectures and makes learning a more active process including learning everything at once instead of one class subject at a time.

Beat me to it.

Thank you sir. I did google search before asking and I did get the same answer but I didn't know how that would get tied into the issues people were discussing about here. That very well might be due to me being a newbie.

Thank you sir. I did google search before asking and I did get the same answer but I didn't know how that would get tied into the issues people were discussing about here. That very well might be due to me being a newbie.

It was an issue in this thread because LECOM-B is a PBL only school, whereas TOURO-NV is a typical lecture like school (systems-based I think). PBL requires a student that is very self-driven, doesn't procrastinate, etc. and not everyone is made for PBL; hence if the OP is not easily motivated he should think twice before attending LECOM-B.

I don't want to bash here either because LECOM-B has set up an impressive program, but not paying for 3/4 year spots can be an issue and I have heard some (personal) complaints from 3/4 year students regarding this. However, I've also heard others say it was fine. Guess I'm just saying it's something to look into because you're probably going to have to do some traveling, where with NV, all the rotations can be done with 15 min of the school.

I don't want to bash here either because LECOM-B has set up an impressive program, but not paying for 3/4 year spots can be an issue and I have heard some (personal) complaints from 3/4 year students regarding this. However, I've also heard others say it was fine. Guess I'm just saying it's something to look into because you're probably going to have to do some traveling, where with NV, all the rotations can be done with 15 min of the school.

I've written in the past about this, and really the silver lining to this is the extreme flexibility you get in picking your rotations. I personally did most of my time in the Bradenton area, with a few away rotations up north around interview time. However, I know people that did their entire 3rd/4th years near their home towns, up north, at singular programs, etc. There are also several hospitals that take students for their whole 3rd years, so you could in theory move to Alabama (or wherever) and do your whole year there without moving. All in all, it was merely a mild annoyance for me. If you are aggressive with finding rotations, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

I've written in the past about this, and really the silver lining to this is the extreme flexibility you get in picking your rotations. I personally did most of my time in the Bradenton area, with a few away rotations up north around interview time. However, I know people that did their entire 3rd/4th years near their home towns, up north, at singular programs, etc. There are also several hospitals that take students for their whole 3rd years, so you could in theory move to Alabama (or wherever) and do your whole year there without moving. All in all, it was merely a mild annoyance for me. If you are aggressive with finding rotations, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

I think bradenton also has no limit on the number of rotations you can do in a singular specialty, which is really nice for auditions.

I am as much of a supporter of doing your research on 3rd/4th yr as Jagger is.

The real problem comes from mixed reviews. I know I have read about problems of the TOURO-NV rotations with regards to their quality. On the other hand I have read about rotations being dropped at LECOM-both E & B.

Again, I don't know much about either school, but the benefit I can see from LECOM-B besides cost is that mulitple people have said that if you do the work to get your rotations you won't have problems. To me that is a huge incentive.

I would recommend getting into contact with some 3rd/4th/grads from those programs and get more opinions from them.

I believe SCPOD is a 4th yr at LECOM-B who is fairly active on here, hopefully he will comment or you could pm him. Good luck in your decision making.

Lecom doesn't typically pay for rotations... but I'll give you an example of what they have done. They approached a florida hospital a while back that had residencies in pediatrics and OB/Gyn. They asked if the hospital had thought about having an IM residency too because there just weren't enough IM residency spots for all of the Lecom grads in Florida. The hospital said that they would love to do it. In fact, the had approached FSU about sponsoring it because they didn't have the startup money and FSU already sponsored the other two residencies. Lecom says, "What if we find you the 500 grand or so you need to start it up?" They said, "Wonderful! But, what do we have to do for you?" "Just agree to take our medical students on rotations." They were ecstatic about it and the second IM class will start there in July. Lecom students who want to rotate there now have a place to go that has a level two trauma center and does every surgery except transplants.

IOW, Lecom is doing some creative things to get better spots for their students to rotate. Equally, they have dumped a number of spots because they considered them inferior. If you want to stay around Bradenton you can... but I chose not to. I've been pretty pro-active in scheduling my rotations and I think I've had a pretty darned good experience. I delivered 5 babies on my own (with an attending in the room, of course). I've run codes on the floor. I even performed one surgery on my own while the attending did first assist-- from first cut to final suture. Granted, it was something pretty easy.... but I've had a wonderful, first-hand experience.

Yes, there are times when I think I'd like to curse like crazy at something stupid the administration did.... but I don't know of anyone who couldn't say that at some time about there school. 3rd and 4th year is really what you make of it. You can have a good or bad experience practically anywhere you choose to go.

SOOOO.... I have the same choice and since it has been a five years since the last post, I was wondering if those who are from either school could update their answer or add some feedback. Thank you!!!

They both are pretty strong programs. Touro-NV does have a lot of its rotations near home base, which is a really good thing. Touro-NV doesn't have mandatory attendance, which is also a plus. As for Lecom-b, I do like the PBL format, since you learn in the format of a patient scenario.

The one thing that would make the difference in terms of attending is tuition. Lecom-b is around $31,000 out of state and Touro-NV is $48,000 out of state. This is not even looking at the cost of attendance, which makes the difference even greater. This fact would make me choose Lecom-b.

Last edited:
SOOOO.... I have the same choice and since it has been a five years since the last post, I was wondering if those who are from either school could update their answer or add some feedback. Thank you!!!
Do you like following rules? Do you like PBL? Will you be proactive when setting up rotations? If so lecom. If not touro nv.

LECOM will save you dough but they don't help much with rotations. Could be a positive (freedom where you go might get to go somewhere awesome if proactive) could be a negative (poor quality clinical training or canceled rotations)

@j4pac

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you like following rules? Do you like PBL? Will you be proactive when setting up rotations? If so lecom. If not touro nv.

LECOM will save you dough but they don't help much with rotations. Could be a positive (freedom where you go might get to so somewhere awesome if proactive) could be a negative (poor quality clinical training or canceled rotations)

@j4pac

Fair review of LECOM B.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear Touro-NV has great rotations due to the fact that there are so few medical schools in NV. You also get to go to Vegas whenever you want.

LECOM also requires a dress code correct?

What is the cost difference? I kind of remember Touro costing at least 20k more a year, which is a deal breaker to me. I am in PBL at LECOM-Seton Hill and I love it. Just go to Florida and thank me later.

Something to consider. There is something mature and immature considerations for medical school.

Mature:
-Level of education
-Residency matching
-Family support
-Cost

Immature:
-Attractive students
-Cool local bars/restaurants/attractions
-Rules
-Appearance of building

Fit is very vague...and probably can have considerations from both categories. The truth is that many people are use to college and want to remain in college while going to medical school. But 10 years from now...you are going to wish that you made more mature decisions now. Don't let the immature you screw the more mature you...you will be hating yourself 10 years from now for passing up a better education with lower cost for a place with less rules and a couple hot students during your interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What is the cost difference? I kind of remember Touro costing at least 20k more a year, which is a deal breaker to me. I am in PBL at LECOM-Seton Hill and I love it. Just go to Florida and thank me later.

Here ya go.

They both are pretty strong programs. Touro-NV does have a lot of its rotations near home base, which is a really good thing. Touro-NV doesn't have mandatory attendance, which is also a plus. As for Lecom-b, I do like the PBL format, since you learn in the format of a patient scenario.

The one thing that would make the difference in terms of attending is tuition. Lecom-b is around $31,000 out of state and Touro-NV is $48,000 out of state. This is not even looking at the cost of attendance, which makes the difference even greater. This fact would make me choose Lecom-b.

LECOM-B every time. If you have no preference between the schools, would prefer to not live in a desert, and can handle dressing up every time you have to head to class, LECOM is the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user

FL is already miserably hot.

Can't wait to get back up a little closer to the Mason Dixon line. There's not much for nature lovers down here if you don't love beaches and muggy swamps.

Hot and muggy with beaches and save 20k/year, or hot and dry with no beaches and spend an extra 20k/year? LECOM is a good school and with PBL you aren't on campus that much anyways so who cares about all the rules.