Lecom (Bradenton) MMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I will stay home and save on rent money. I would like to start a study group though. If classes are going to be online we can skype a few times a week and quiz each other, ask questions, etc. In undergrad my friends and I would study and review via skype and it helped tremendously.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I think I will stay home and save on rent money. I would like to start a study group though. If classes are going to be online we can skype a few times a week and quiz each other, ask questions, etc. In undergrad my friends and I would study and review via skype and it helped tremendously.

This is a great idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...

Wait thats weird.... why though... why mms and pharm only??

This is my own opinion, but I think most programs as of right now are taking it day by day and assuming that in-person learning will occur. As the first day of classes approaches we might see more programs switch to an all online system. Since this program begins in July, they made the switch earlier. Again, this is my own speculation. If it's true that Covid-19 might see a second wave come the end of the year, I suppose most school programs might want to avoid any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my own opinion, but I think most programs as of right now are taking it day by day and assuming that in-person learning will occur. As the first day of classes approaches we might see more programs switch to an all online system. Since this program begins in July, they made the switch earlier. Again, this is my own speculation. If it's true that Covid-19 might see a second wave come the end of the year, I suppose most school programs might want to avoid any issues.

No it’s because medical is small group PBL classes. MMS is 1 large class of 80 people

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail. I did not have a phone interview so I was worried when the portal updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on your acceptance! What did your portal say while you waited for the letter? Was it something along the lines of “The committee has made a decision. You’ll receive a letter in the mail in 30 days”?

Congrats on your acceptance! What did your portal say while you waited for the letter? Was it something along the lines of “The committee has made a decision. You’ll receive a letter in the mail in 30 days”?

Thank you! Yes except my portal said 10 days. It’s probably because I’m closer to Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Yes except my portal said 10 days. It’s probably because I’m closer to Florida.

When did you apply and when did your application say they made a decision?
mine just went under review today so I’m very nervous Plus I have replied to Midwestern U MABS program at the end of May

mine just went under review today so I’m very nervous Plus I have replied to Midwestern U MABS program at the end of May

I finished my application on April 30, it was showing to be under review since before it was complete, but it changed “a decision has been made...” a day after the folder was completed. I got my acceptance letter 4 days later...

Reactions: 1 users
I still didnt get a call from Dr.Coffman... anyone else??

There are a few people on the facebook group that haven't gotten a call yet. I sent him a few texts to the number he gave me from the voice mail he left and he hasn't replied. He is probably just very busy trying to figure everything out and calling people one by one.

I applied 4/20. I noticed my portal update 5/1.

Do any of the 1st year med/dental students or previous MMS students recommend still living in Bradenton even though the program is online? Would love to get your thoughts on this

To be honest
Do any of the 1st year med/dental students or previous MMS students recommend still living in Bradenton even though the program is online? Would love to get your thoughts on this

Im going to be a mms student .. I think im going to live in bradenton because It would be better if we can use the school facility and also office hours ... and I just think it is better just to be near school

I haven’t either.

To be honest

Im going to be a mms student .. I think im going to live in bradenton because It would be better if we can use the school facility and also office hours ... and I just think it is better just to be near school

I haven't gotten the call yet, but I'm planning on still moving to Bradenton at the end of June since I've already signed a lease with roommate.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people that went home when they officially shut down the campus, some went all the way to another state. I'm not sure how the program will continue, but since campus is not closed, they may call you in for one thing or another. Email the new director and ask him if living far is a good idea. If they try to pull something shady and tell you to come to campus on short notice, you can whip out the email for proof. Always have proof in this program. I would almost never talk to the professors in person, only email so that if (and when) they take back their words I can have proof of what they said.

I got accepted to this program too, but I’m a little bit concerned about the online thing because I don’t know if the bond between the Dental School and this program will stay strong. I don’t want to waste time and money, but for those people who talked with Dr. Coffman, did he state that the requirement for the program remains the same????

I got accepted to this program too, but I’m a little bit concerned about the online thing because I don’t know if the bond between the Dental School and this program will stay strong. I don’t want to waste time and money, but for those people who talked with Dr. Coffman, did he state that the requirement for the program remains the same????

He emphasized to me that the requirement for an interview and matriculation to med or dental is the same.
The linkage is the same.
He also said that students who choose not to relocate won’t be put at a disadvantage.

I know a lot of people that went home when they officially shut down the campus, some went all the way to another state. I'm not sure how the program will continue, but since campus is not closed, they may call you in for one thing or another. Email the new director and ask him if living far is a good idea. If they try to pull something shady and tell you to come to campus on short notice, you can whip out the email for proof. Always have proof in this program. I would almost never talk to the professors in person, only email so that if (and when) they take back their words I can have proof of what they said.
in this situation, would you still live on campus to use the library and whatnot, or would you study at home?

Do you guys really think linkage will stay as strong as it is now?? I mean i think it will in my opinion .. just asking for opinions of other people.

I asked Dr. Coffman and he said yes. It was a big worry for me

Have you been in communication with him after the initial call? I missed his call and texted him on the number he gave me from the voice mail and haven't received a reply. I'm wondering if I should try again.

Have you been in communication with him after the initial call? I missed his call and texted him on the number he gave me from the voice mail and haven't received a reply. I'm wondering if I should try again.
No just the call

Do you guys really think linkage will stay as strong as it is now?? I mean i think it will in my opinion .. just asking for opinions of other people.

I agree... These are times that are completely out of our control. I don't see how it would hurt us or that they would make the requirements harder. If anything it may help us (ie- potentially more leniency...who knows)?

I still haven't received the call, but I'm interested to know what kind of things they might have on campus for us throughout the semester... That would probably make it easier for people on the fence about moving or not.

I agree... These are times that are completely out of our control. I don't see how it would hurt us or that they would make the requirements harder. If anything it may help us (ie- potentially more leniency...who knows)?

I still haven't received the call, but I'm interested to know what kind of things they might have on campus for us throughout the semester... That would probably make it easier for people on the fence about moving or not.

It’s just the uncertainty of everything. Who knows if the campus might close in the Fall

It’s just the uncertainty of everything. Who knows if the campus might close in the Fall

Its not because the med school classes are still on campus with no plan to cancel

Last edited:
in this situation, would you still live on campus to use the library and whatnot, or would you study at home?
Personally, I find the Dental library to be too cold and the chairs are made of uncomfortable solid wood so I prefer to study at home. There are people who like to study at the library because they feel more focused.

I just got a packet from lecom. It mentions the program will be 100% online. They also sent me the schedule.

Attachments

• Lecom MMS 2020.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 192
Yep, I just got it. We still have to dress up for live sessions lmao. I can post the letter just give me a minute to scribble my address out.

Reactions: 2 users
The letter

Attachments

• Lecom MMS Online.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 152
The letter
Thanks for posting. Still so many questions though... This program is basically going to be virtual PBL sessions? Why only make this program online and not the others? Makes me think we are low priority.

How will other dental schools we apply to look at an entirely online master's program?

Thanks for posting. Still so many questions though... This program is basically going to be virtual PBL sessions? Why only make this program online and not the others? Makes me think we are low priority.

How will other dental schools we apply to look at an entirely online master's program?
I dont think they will honestly care. The exams will likely be proctored. Besides these are unprecedented times. The less people in the building the less possibility of transmission. Obviously their “professional“ programs will be of more importance because they have boards and other major things to worry about. We techinally still have to ”prove” we belong in a professional program. Just do your best, achieve the highest GPA you possibly can and everything will work out.

Reactions: 6 users

The entire pharmacy program is also moving online

The entire pharmacy program is also moving online
Yeah I figured. The only people in the building are probably the classes that have to do sim lab, clinic, and rotations. Otherwise why risk being there right?