LECOM - Elmira, NY campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a new LECOM school opening in Elmira NY. Does anyone know how the rotation sites are or if they have any input on the pros and cons of this campus? Should I apply to a more reputable location like LECOM-erie, Pennsylvania or should I apply to this new york campus? not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not be in the inaugural class of any new school. It takes a few years to get the curriculum and faculty up to speed. Also, clinical sites need to be vetted. I would recommend a more established school if you are competetive.

Reactions: 4 users
This is a new LECOM school opening in Elmira NY. Does anyone know how the rotation sites are or if they have any input on the pros and cons of this campus? Should I apply to a more reputable location like LECOM-erie, Pennsylvania or should I apply to this new york campus? not sure what to do.

Elmira's hospital, Arnot Ogden Medical Center has been a LECOM clinical campus since 2013. a big chunk of people will likely stay there for rotations in 3rd year. It has LECOM affiliated residency programs (first started in 2012) in GenSurg, IM, FM, EM, Rads, and Psych all of which I believe are now ACGME accredited, as well as a few fellowships. That said, it cannot support the whole class, there are always 1-2 rotations that have to be done in Erie, and just like anywhere else, it has its ups and downs.

The new med school campus is situated on the Elmira College campus, with supposedly new facilities. From what I heard back in the day, it was slated to be a PBL-only campus with a similar setup as LECOM at Seton Hill. LECOM has a tendency to scavenge professors from other campuses, so its likely some will be already familiar with the process, and some will also be staff/faculty that are already at AOMC's residencies, but there will likely be new faculty as well. That means it probably won't have too many kinks to work out, but it will have some as a new school.

Generally speaking it is always safer to go to an established program, and there will absolutely be changes that may be disruptive to your learning. I would consider the Elmira campus a safer option than other brand new schools, but not safer than already established schools, preferably ones that have already graduated a medical school class.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Elmira's hospital, Arnot Ogden Medical Center has been a LECOM clinical campus since 2013. a big chunk of people will likely stay there for rotations in 3rd year. It has LECOM affiliated residency programs (first started in 2012) in GenSurg, IM, FM, EM, Rads, and Psych all of which I believe are now ACGME accredited, as well as a few fellowships. That said, it cannot support the whole class, there are always 1-2 rotations that have to be done in Erie, and just like anywhere else, it has its ups and downs.

The new med school campus is situated on the Elmira College campus, with supposedly new facilities. From what I heard back in the day, it was slated to be a PBL-only campus with a similar setup as LECOM at Seton Hill. LECOM has a tendency to scavenge professors from other campuses, so its likely some will be already familiar with the process, and some will also be staff/faculty that are already at AOMC's residencies, but there will likely be new faculty as well. That means it probably won't have too many kinks to work out, but it will have some as a new school.

Generally speaking it is always safer to go to an established program, and there will absolutely be changes that may be disruptive to your learning. I would consider the Elmira campus a safer option than other brand new schools, but not safer than already established schools, preferably ones that have already graduated a medical school class.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Typically, people apply to recently opened schools bc thier stats are on the lower end (500 MCAT and 3.2 GPA) of the DO spectrum.

FYI - LECOM's get a fair bit of hate on SDN, so do your research.

Typically, people apply to recently opened schools bc thier stats are on the lower end (500 MCAT and 3.2 GPA) of the DO spectrum.

FYI - LECOM's get a fair bit of hate on SDN, so do your research.
Lecom really only gets hated on for their dress code and attendance policy. I can tell you as a student there their professional attitude is at the forefront. After a week of dressing up it's just a routine like anything else it's not a big deal

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone interviewing at Elmira? has anyone already? If so, PM me

Lecom really only gets hated on for their dress code and attendance policy. I can tell you as a student there their professional attitude is at the forefront. After a week of dressing up it's just a routine like anything else it's not a big deal
Nope, they get hated on bc of LECOM-B rotation issues primarily and thier PBL learning.

I have a friend I went to Michigan State with, who went to Seton-Hill campus; he said he would have rather gone to any other DO school he had gotten into instead.

But N=1... I digress

Nope, they get hated on bc of LECOM-B rotation issues primarily and thier PBL learning.

I have a friend I went to Michigan State with, who went to Seton-Hill campus; he said he would have rather gone to any other DO school he had gotten into instead.

But N=1... I digress
Maybe your friend should have gone to said other schools. I'm not intimate with PBL, but from what I know of it, I would not do well. My type A personality would not fair well without more clear direction and explanation of material by faculty. PBL from what I know requires much more independent reading and learning by the student. It's not for everyone. If that's the only choice you have, adapt or take a gap year rather complain about the curricula. Its putting the blame in the wrong place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe your friend should have gone to said other schools. I'm not intimate with PBL, but from what I know of it, I would not do well. My type A personality would not fair well without more clear direction and explanation of material by faculty. PBL from what I know requires much more independent reading and learning by the student. It's not for everyone. If that's the only choice you have, adapt or take a gap year rather complain about the curricula. Its putting the blame in the wrong place.
I agree w everything you said.

The problem is, to his account, it was supposed to be 50% PBL and 50% classic lecture, esp at SH campus... this was true for OMS1, BUT not true for his OMS2 year.

I agree w everything you said.

The problem is, to his account, it was supposed to be 50% PBL and 50% classic lecture, esp at SH campus... this was true for OMS1, BUT not true for his OMS2 year.

That is not what the curriculum is. Its not 50/50. He must have misunderstood. Some individual courses are lecture-based, but the overall curriculum is PBL based. It was never supposed to be, nor has SH ever been, 50/50, its a PBL curriculum. Its pretty clearly outlined in the handbook.

Do you know if there will be cadavers at LECOM Elmira?

any accepted elmira students in this thread?

Hello All,

I was recently accepted into LECOM Elmira and am strongly considering placing a deposit. I like the PBL curriculum a great deal, it’s closish to home and you can’t beat the tuition. I did interview at the Seton Hill campus so I have a few questions. One, did they increase the clinical sites to accommodate the extra campus? Two, are the faculty from other LECOM campuses moving to the Elmira campus? And three, is it a safe bet that I will be able to be successful here given the other campuses reputation, even though it is the first year? Thanks for any info. I know some growing pains come with a brand new campus, but ultimately I don’t know if that is a reason to dismiss the possibility of attending because everything else seems good.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I was recently accepted into LECOM Elmira and am strongly considering placing a deposit. I like the PBL curriculum a great deal, it’s closish to home and you can’t beat the tuition. I did interview at the Seton Hill campus so I have a few questions. One, did they increase the clinical sites to accommodate the extra campus? Two, are the faculty from other LECOM campuses moving to the Elmira campus? And three, is it a safe bet that I will be able to be successful here given the other campuses reputation, even though it is the first year? Thanks for any info. I know some growing pains come with a brand new campus, but ultimately I don’t know if that is a reason to dismiss the possibility of attending because everything else seems good.
Hey, did you put the Elmira campus as first preference?

I got offered an Interview at LECOM-Elmira. Would it be foolish/unwise to email LECOM and ask them if I can be considered for the LECOM-Erie campus rather than Elmira campus since I have family in Erie, Pa? Or would it definitely lead to a Rejection?

I got offered an Interview at LECOM-Elmira. Would it be foolish/unwise to email LECOM and ask them if I can be considered for the LECOM-Erie campus rather than Elmira campus since I have family in Erie, Pa? Or would it definitely lead to a Rejection?
They let you re-rank the campus based on pathway during the interview.

@FutureMedStudentCA I interviewed at LECOM - Erie, PA for the Elmira, NY campus. During the interview, you are given a piece of paper where you can rank (1,2,3) which campus you prefer, and also which learning pathway for each campus you prefer. They said which campus you select doesn't affect your chances of being accepted.

However, I still kind of think that there is a better chance of being accepted if you choose the Elmira campus since it is a new campus and I'm sure they're trying to fill up the seats for the class, and also because you're interviewing for the campus!

But I would like to mention that when I was sent the email for interviewing at the Elmira campus. I had the choice if the Elmira interview day didn't work out, I could interview on another day on an Erie or Seton Hill day for the Elmira campus. I just wouldn't be given information about the Elmira campus because I would have been coming in on an Erie or Seton Hill day.

But I mean if you have other interviews it could be worth a shot to ask before the interview if you could interview for Erie instead, because you have family in Erie. I think that's a good reason and would probably help you get accepted since having family in the same area is good support! It could work out? I mean it could also be no problem whatsoever, and you and myself are overthinking!!!

Hey guys, just want to confirm, we wouldn't need to apply separately for the Elmira or Seton Hill campuses right? It's the same application as the Erie one? Only Bradenton has a separate secondary app?

I got an invite for an virtual / zoom interview for Elmira campus scheduled for April 9th. Is it worth to attend the interview as it is late in the cycle?

I got an invite for an virtual / zoom interview for Elmira campus scheduled for April 9th. Is it worth to attend the interview as it is late in the cycle?
Cool! Mind sharing Lizzy M/ stats? If you already have A's at other schools you're happy with then maybe not. Otherwise, no travel and free you might as well if interested.

Last edited:
Or you could pass it off to one of us that would still love the chance!!

Don't ever turn down an interview even if it's likely for a wait list

Which campus are you studying medicine at?

I would not be in the inaugural class of any new school. It takes a few years to get the curriculum and faculty up to speed. Also, clinical sites need to be vetted. I would recommend a more established school if you are competetive.
Although I understand the concern, I strongly believe this is misinformation.

LECOM at Elmira is a brand new campus located about 4 hours from NYC; however, LECOM itself is one of the oldest establishments in the country. The new campus location is simply an extension of the already well-established osteopathic school.

I think being part of an inaugural class is an experience that is very underrated! At a new campus, you shape your education as well as the future of that campus; to me, this is significantly more rewarding. For example, you can be the founder of a new club/event. I think this opportunity is very special!

LECOM, specifically the Elmira faculty, is arguably the most welcoming school that I have ever met! They are really friendly, and will do anything in their power to help you feel at ease! This is one of the most attractive parts about LECOM at Elmira.

The cordial, welcoming nature of LECOM at Elmira can be attributed to the extensive effort that Jessica, the student affairs coordinator, puts forth consistently. Jessica is simply one of the most compassionate people I have ever met! She will do anything to make you feel prepared, and this is a major advantage of choosing to go to LECOM at Elmira! Jessica makes the experience of applying, moving in, and going to medical school so much more comfortable!

Although we see many derogatory comments on SDN about LECOM in general, there are so many strengths about this school. Do not neglect the opportunities and respect that the school offers to the students. Please, do your own research and get in touch with the right people; do not ruin an amazing opportunity because of others' opinions on here. LECOM at Elmira is truly a beautiful campus for students interested in a friendly and compassionate environment.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on your admission. Your excitement is contagious. Couple points.
LECOM was founded in 1992. 28 yrs certainly suggests it is a well established school, but I can think of a half dozen older DO schools.
You will be the schools product. The history of newer schools suggest precisely what I posted. Your enthusiasm for the welcoming nature is certainly a positive. Some of the points you made about new clubs are interesting.It really doesn't factor into board scores rotations, or match rates. I frequently recommend LECOM for its very low tuition and history of good board scores, but with any newer campus, there is an undeniable learning curve. My choice would be not to be part of that learning curve.I dont consider what I posted misinformation. I believe it to be accurate if you review data from newer schools. I would attend an established school before enrolling in an inaugural class. If that was my only option, then I would attend an inaugural class. Good luck and best wishes!

LECOM Elmira is my first choice preferred campus, so should I even put a 2nd and 3rd preference or just leave Elmira as 1st choice and put no second or 3rd choice?

LECOM Elmira is my first choice preferred campus, so should I even put a 2nd and 3rd preference or just leave Elmira as 1st choice and put no second or 3rd choice?
Yes because if you are selected an an alternate, they can offer you a spot at any campus.

Does anyone have any experience living in Elmira NY that they can share? I am trying to decide between Erie and Elmira. Also does anyone have any experience with the hospitals near Elmira with their pediatric rotations?

Does anyone have any experience living in Elmira NY that they can share? I am trying to decide between Erie and Elmira. Also does anyone have any experience with the hospitals near Elmira with their pediatric rotations?

Its been a while, but there are not much in the way of great Peds experiences at AOMC. There was an excellent NICU and newborn service there, but at the time I was there Peds inpatient was few and far between. Maybe there would be 2-3 Peds patients in the hospital covered by the teaching service. Its simply not enough to get adequate training/exposure. If its something you're interested in, I would rotate at a hospital outside of the area. Again, its been a long time and things may have changed, but just the nature of peds hospitalizations, if you aren't rotating at a Children's hospital, you won't see a lot of peds inpatients.

Recently I was selected for an interview, they are doing recorded interviews, so I have been hearing that the disconnect has been concerning some like myself. However, I got to chat with Jessica Woods today, and she made me feel a lot better about the whole process. She also sold me on Elmira. I would recommend reaching out to her if you have any concerns or just curious to learn more about Elmira ... she slaps or as she puts it "claps"

High yield tips:
- make sure you know some tenets of osteopathy and try to weave them into your response, but keep the responses genuine
- try to tailor responses with personal experiences like work or school behaviors
- EMPATHY goes a long way
- Make sure you know how to pronounce OSTEOPATHY - more important than you think ppl

See y'all December 4th :claps:

Reactions: 1 users
Does the Elmira campus have you find your own clinical sites during 3+4th years? Do you have access to the Murray Athletic Center?

Anyone accepted to this school, did they really send a letter about your decision?

Hi. I was recently accepted to LECOM Elmira! Does anyone know of Facebook pages or groupme or WhatsApp groups that I could join?
Thanks, good luck everyone!