LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am living in Laurel Ridge- next to the school - so I will be across the street...

Me too! Which building will you be in?

Members don't see this ad.

signed my lease as well a few weeks ago. me and my fiance are driving out from cali in exactly two weeks. also i'm LDP.

Sweet, a fellow wester. I'll be making the drive beginning of July. You looking forward to the Erie snow?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does SOMA still give out a free Netter's atlas? How much $ does it cost to join SOMA?

this is what i meant to reply to, sorry I have no idea how to use this website! yeah so my question was, how did you hear about getting off of the waitlist?

Hi Nikky, I found out through snail mail. I don't wanna make you any more neurotic, but last wednesday I checked my Portal and it went from the waitlist message to a decision had been made message. Good luck:xf:

Hi Nikky, I found out through snail mail. I don't wanna make you any more neurotic, but last wednesday I checked my Portal and it went from the waitlist message to a decision had been made message. Good luck:xf:
yeah i'm crossing my fingers too..hopefully i will see you in July. Is there anyway i can contact you via email? I have a few questions I would like to ask you.

Does SOMA still give out a free Netter's atlas? How much $ does it cost to join SOMA?

When I started last August, SOMA wasn't giving out a free Netter's to join. I don't know if that's gonna change next year or not. It should be less than $70 to join SOMA. You will make a one time payment that is good for all four years. Now don't quote me on the price because things may change by the fall.

Congratulations! I am also LDP. Driving out to see Erie, or to move? Kind of early to move down there? Trust me, spend as much time in California as you can before coming to Erie.

haha. i would, but i started paying rent in may to get one of the new apartments, so i'd like to not waste anymore money. plus i want to get out there and get set up.

haha. i would, but i started paying rent in may to get one of the new apartments, so i'd like to not waste anymore money. plus i want to get out there and get set up.

i did that but now my lease ends on apr 30... so i may be homeless... anyone wanna take me in :p

After spending two years in Erie I'll tell you this spend more time back home, don't be in a rush to get out here because you'll miss all that home has to offer once you get here. It's not that erie is a bad town, its just small with not much to do and a few weeks after classes start you'll be aching to get back home

After spending two years in Erie I'll tell you this spend more time back home, don't be in a rush to get out here because you'll miss all that home has to offer once you get here. It's not that erie is a bad town, its just small with not much to do and a few weeks after classes start you'll be aching to get back home

I whole-heartedly agree, and I've only been in Erie for three evenings and two days. I am savoring every moment of Chicago I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I am in Chicago right now. I was referring to the time I spent in Erie during my interview. I will be in Erie June 25th-28th (to sign my lease and take my id photo), and then the week before school starts. Ironically (starrynite14 and csmittyB) I will also be going on a vacation to California ( my friend lives in Redando) before school starts.

I am really excited about school starting. We should all meet up before school starts. If anyone is in Erie between 6/25 and 6/28 send me a pm.

Oh, I am in Chicago right now. I was referring to the time I spent in Erie during my interview. I will be in Erie June 25th-28th (to sign my lease and take my id photo), and then the week before school starts. Ironically (starrynite14 and csmittyB) I will also be going on a vacation to California ( my friend lives in Redando) before school starts.

I am really excited about school starting. We should all meet up before school starts. If anyone is in Erie between 6/25 and 6/28 send me a pm.
I'll be in town for my peds shelf exam that friday.... then off to do my surgery rotation

I envy you with all the open possibilities of just entering med school, would I trade with you? No... I'm done with all that crap

Stupid boards

yeah i'm crossing my fingers too..hopefully i will see you in July. Is there anyway i can contact you via email? I have a few questions I would like to ask you.

Hey Nikky, click on my SDN screen name and it will say send mcp5016 a private message. Then you can ask away :)

So there was once a post (or on facebook)...but I can't find it... plus I've got other questions..

Someone had said they changed study styles 5 times in the first week... what worked? what didn't?

When does the "summer break" typically start?

Ummm... there were others, and I'm having a brain fart!! :)

Thanks for the help and input!!! :) ... P.S.. I'm LDP... and moving to Erie June 1st :)

Still looking for a roommate for the second bedroom in a townhouse down the street from LECOM. Rent is $325/month + 1/2 cable & electric.

I was wondering how you guys/girls study? Things came very easy to me in undergrad, i.e. one lecture plus a few hrs of review and I mastered it. I know that will not be a recipe for success in med school. I just wanted to see if the upper class ppl still lingering can give some advice? I am LDP but by all means I would like to hear from all pathways

Thanks

Last edited:
I would study the night before or the day of in undergrad. That didn't work in med school.

There is no such thing as too much studying. Only not enough.

Hey everyone...I'm c/o 2014 ISP. I was wondering if ISP has access to all of the powerpoints that LDP uses?

Hey everyone...I'm c/o 2014 ISP. I was wondering if ISP has access to all of the powerpoints that LDP uses?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. My roommate is ISP and there have been times when I've given him the powerpoints because he didn't have access to them. I know when it comes to micro, they get all the same stuff we do since the director of ISP also teaches micro. I'm not sure how it will work next year. They had a end of year meeting with the current first years and try to make modifications based on the feedback. During clinical neuro this year, the ISP students were done a week before LDP because the previous years class said they had too much time to prep for the last test and they could've taken the test sooner. So they decided to move the test up a week and it went well.

I was wondering how you guys/girls study? Things came very easy to me in undergrad, i.e. one lecture plus a few hrs of review and I mastered it. I know that will not be a recipe for success in med school. I just wanted to see if the upper class ppl still lingering can give some advice? I am LDP but by all means I would like to hear from all pathways

Thanks

I rewrite all the lecture notes/ppt information into a word document everyday after each class. Then on the weekend I go through and highlight my notes with my tablet. The weekend before a test, I read through the slides again slowly. Then I go through any relevant BRS books as well as FA. The day before the test, I run through the slides much faster and make a "high yield" list of things I am having a hard time remembering. I go over this list once before bed and then when I wake up the next morning to get my mind working before the test. I would say that by the time I take the test, I have been through the material 5-6 times.

I usually studied a couple days before a test in undergrad and did well. If you do that in med school, you may pass and probably will fail. The best advice I can give is to get through the material each day. It will help you remember the material better. The people who do well and get A's study everyday and keep up with the material. The people who get C's or barely pass wait til the weekend to study and try to cram it in. There have been times when I haven't taken a day off from studying for 5-6 weeks. I am very intense and spend a lot of time studying but I am doing very well. I want a competitive specialty in the Army so I am willing to put in the time and make sacrifices to get it.

I rewrite all the lecture notes/ppt information into a word document everyday after each class. Then on the weekend I go through and highlight my notes with my tablet. The weekend before a test, I read through the slides again slowly. Then I go through any relevant BRS books as well as FA. The day before the test, I run through the slides much faster and make a "high yield" list of things I am having a hard time remembering. I go over this list once before bed and then when I wake up the next morning to get my mind working before the test. I would say that by the time I take the test, I have been through the material 5-6 times.

I usually studied a couple days before a test in undergrad and did well. If you do that in med school, you may pass and probably will fail. The best advice I can give is to get through the material each day. It will help you remember the material better. The people who do well and get A's study everyday and keep up with the material. The people who get C's or barely pass wait til the weekend to study and try to cram it in. There have been times when I haven't taken a day off from studying for 5-6 weeks. I am very intense and spend a lot of time studying but I am doing very well. I want a competitive specialty in the Army so I am willing to put in the time and make sacrifices to get it.

Cool, that is what I would do for the hard classes in college, like biochem and cancer bio. Sounds good tho, thanks. Any others out there?

Cool, that is what I would do for the hard classes in college, like biochem and cancer bio. Sounds good tho, thanks. Any others out there?

I take the powerpoints and print them out in handouts format and then cut them out to make flashcards.

Personally I don't bother with taking notes outside of lecture. I sit down and read the powerpoints. Not bull**** reading but actually going through and making sure I think about everything I'm reading. Then do it again. And again.

Sounds way more simplistic than most people's study plans but it works for me. I'll use flash cards for things like micro or pharm, but thats about all.

The FA and BRS books, are they subject specific or are they the massive broad topic board review books? Are you using them for board prep already or for your courses?

Thanks

The FA and BRS books, are they subject specific or are they the massive broad topic board review books? Are you using them for board prep already or for your courses?

Thanks
FA you won't need until 2nd year.

BRS books, Physio is really good IMHO and so is gross anatomy.

Hey everyone, I'll be heading down from Michigan. I'm in PBL and I'll be living in Alpine Village. Any other PBL students know which books we will need right away?

Thanks

FA I didn't look at until the very end of 1st year when we did systems.

BRS anatomy = god in a binding.

Congrats to all of you incoming c/o 2014!

I just graduated from LECOM (PCSP c/o 2010) & I will be having a yard sale tomorrow (Saturday) & Sunday 9am - 1pm. We are moving for residency and are trying to sell a whole lotta stuff. All of my text books, study guides, notes, flash cards, shirts, ties, etc. Thousands of $$$ of med school paraphernalia for cheap!

4116 Ellsworth Ave (right next to LECOM) 16509

My wife & I will also be present to answer any questions you may have about the realities of LECOM, Military Medicine, COMLEX, the match, and so on!

Congrats to all of you incoming c/o 2014!

I just graduated from LECOM (PCSP c/o 2010) & I will be having a yard sale tomorrow (Saturday) & Sunday 9am - 1pm. We are moving for residency and are trying to sell a whole lotta stuff. All of my text books, study guides, notes, flash cards, shirts, ties, etc. Thousands of $$$ of med school paraphernalia for cheap!

4116 Ellsworth Ave (right next to LECOM) 16509

My wife & I will also be present to answer any questions you may have about the realities of LECOM, Military Medicine, COMLEX, the match, and so on!

WOW, you haven't been on here in like 18 months or at least not in the LECOM forum... Like I said the other day, congrats on being done

So there was once a post (or on facebook)...but I can't find it... plus I've got other questions..

Someone had said they changed study styles 5 times in the first week... what worked? what didn't?

I saw that posted also!!! I believe it was bleeker10 who had said that.

Hey everyone!!! I just moved to Erie yesterday! But I am leaving to Miami for a couple weeks. I need a good vacation! I just quit both my jobs and now I need a tan. I kinda want to relax in a place where no body knows me and nobody cares! I will see you guys in July. I will be the person with the sun burn during orientation. :D

Hey everyone!!! I just moved to Erie yesterday! But I am leaving to Miami for a couple weeks. I need a good vacation! I just quit both my jobs and now I need a tan. I kinda want to relax in a place where no body knows me and nobody cares! I will see you guys in July. I will be the person with the sun burn during orientation. :D

That's awesome. Have fun for me, too. I'm stuck hoping my titers are positive and getting ppds and tetanus shots.

Anyone know how strict LECOM is on immunizations? Apparently, my mumps are the highest equivocal without being positive as possible.

If you aren't positive, then you will need to get positive. Try to get it done now otherwise they will keep on you to get it done. I know people who still are getting titers and shots now and its a hassle. Also, make sure to keep copies of your immunizations in case your stuff gets lost. That way you don't have to get another titer or booster next year.

If you aren't positive, then you will need to get positive. Try to get it done now otherwise they will keep on you to get it done. I know people who still are getting titers and shots now and its a hassle. Also, make sure to keep copies of your immunizations in case your stuff gets lost. That way you don't have to get another titer or booster next year.

Yea, I figured. It was the only one I wasn't immune to. I guess that's a good thing. Thanks for the response.

Yeah todays matriculation email stated that students who have not completed the immunizations before july 24 won't be able to start classes on time. Is this legitimate? What about students accepted off the wait list late in the game? I'm getting my 2nd Hep B shot on July 2, and I was planning on getting my 3rd in Erie. Everything else is completed.

Yeah todays matriculation email stated that students who have not completed the immunizations before july 24 won't be able to start classes on time. Is this legitimate? What about students accepted off the wait list late in the game? I'm getting my 2nd Hep B shot on July 2, and I was planning on getting my 3rd in Erie. Everything else is completed.
Eh, they lost my records when I started so I had to get my stuff set up by september or something. They won't stop you from starting but they'll get on your case the longer it takes you to get them this info

Just to let all of you know, the fall schedules are on the portal now. I will say cherish your time in anatomy because you will have lots of study time. Once Core starts, you will be in class a lot more. Although your daily class schedule for the last 4-5 weeks isn't as bad as mine was, you also have your physio final a week later than we did. It still sucks. Be prepared to be in class until 4 or 5 a lot.

Just to let all of you know, the fall schedules are on the portal now. I will say cherish your time in anatomy because you will have lots of study time. Once Core starts, you will be in class a lot more. Although your daily class schedule for the last 4-5 weeks isn't as bad as mine was, you also have your physio final a week later than we did. It still sucks. Be prepared to be in class until 4 or 5 a lot.

Bleeker,

2nd year gets worse, let me tell you. If you think 2nd semester was bad, just wait

Where at? I just looked, and I don't see the schedules anywhere :confused:

Histo/Embryo Exam 1 on 8/9 then the histo final a week later:confused:

Are quizes like the quizes I'm thinking of (a few questions), or are they more like exams.

UGH...the week of 12/13 is going to suck.

Last edited:

Are quizes like the quizes I'm thinking of (a few questions), or are they more like exams.

"Quiz" = test worth less points than an "exam". An exam may be worth 100 points (100 questions), where a quiz may only be worth 20 or 30 points. The points are all combined for the final grade for a given class.

Last edited:
"Quiz" = test worth less points than an "exam". An exam may be worth 100 points (100 questions), where a quiz may only be worth 20 or 30 points. The points are all combined for the final grade for a given class.
So basically each question is worth the same amount overall

So if you have 3 quizzes of 20 questions each = 60 points and 1 exam of 100 questions then your grade will be out of 160 points and a B > 80% of 160 C > 70% of 160 and A > 90% of 160

The histo/embryo exam was the easiest exam I ever took here at LECOM. it's not bad but know that by the time you are done with 2nd year you will have had over 150 exams, quizzes, practicals, etc. I mean in OPP for the first two years there are 4 exams per semester, 10 quizzes and 3 practicals so 68 graded parts for OPP for the first two years.

Now that I think about it my 150 might be low balling it, might be closer to 200... eh no big deal

I didn't see a specific schedule for PBL on the portal. Is it essentially identical to the LDP schedule for the first semester?