-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So I've been complete for about 3 weeks, and I received an email saying that my secondary application was processed and to check the portal. I looked under the Required Letters and Credits tab and it said I was missing letters, but under the Admission Status tab, it said my application was still under review. For Bradenton though, it says the same thing, but that there are no required letters? Anyone else have this?
I emailed admissions a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...
I emailed admissions a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...
Letters aren't required until you interview
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been complete for about 3 weeks, and I received an email saying that my secondary application was processed and to check the portal. I looked under the Required Letters and Credits tab and it said I was missing letters, but under the Admission Status tab, it said my application was still under review. For Bradenton though, it says the same thing, but that there are no required letters? Anyone else have this?
I emailed admissions a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...
Yea, letters are not required until you get an interview invitation. I am in the same situation as you are. It has been 3 weeks since the completion of the file. Does the review process take about a month?
Yea, letters are not required until you get an interview invitation. I am in the same situation as you are. It has been 3 weeks since the completion of the file. Does the review process take about a month?
I've been under review for almost 2 months now. My portal has the letters of recommendation as "missing" but I never got an interview invite. Everything else is checked off...should I call LECOM and ask how long the review will take? I'm fine if they aren't interested in an interview, but I'm wondering why they're just sitting on the completed secondary without looking at it?
I just withdrew my app from here today since I got in elsewhere. I hope this helps one of you who are stressing about not hearing back yet!👍 good luck friends!
Just got an email saying my application is complete. I saw that they already looked at my letters of recommendation as well. Could this be a good thing? How long after having a complete app did you hear back for an interview? Also would going to their open house in two weeks effect me at all?
Just got an email saying my application is complete. I saw that they already looked at my letters of recommendation as well. Could this be a good thing? How long after having a complete app did you hear back for an interview? Also would going to their open house in two weeks effect me at all?
I thought we were not supposed to send in our letters of recommendation until after an interview invite. So you are saying if we send them in early they will be looked at? If that is the case then I am tempted to send them in since I sure they can only help if looked at.
I've been under review for almost 2 months now. My portal has the letters of recommendation as "missing" but I never got an interview invite. Everything else is checked off...should I call LECOM and ask how long the review will take? I'm fine if they aren't interested in an interview, but I'm wondering why they're just sitting on the completed secondary without looking at it?
Yea, I think you should call them to check your status on your file since yours has been silent longer than mine has been. Let me know if you find anything new. Mine is still under review and I am starting to lose my interest in this school 🙁
Yea, I think you should call them to check your status on your file since yours has been silent longer than mine has been. Let me know if you find anything new. Mine is still under review and I am starting to lose my interest in this school 🙁
My portal has shown "under review" for over 3 months now. When I spoke to a rep they said to be patient that the cycle isn't over until March. Its tough to be patient for that long, but what choice do we have? But then again, it's better than a rejection!
My portal has shown "under review" for over 3 months now. When I spoke to a rep they said to be patient that the cycle isn't over until March. Its tough to be patient for that long, but what choice do we have? But then again, it's better than a rejection!
Gotcha. Does this school have pretty much class filled up mostly? It is a huge class but they started to accept people in early fall. Hopefully, we hear something soon.
Interviewing here 11/10. Hoping for the best 

Hey everyone,
I just received my interview invite today! However, I'm slightly nervous because there were no interview openings until February 10th! Is this bad? Should I be concerned? And is there any way to move my interview up, or check and see if people cancel and earlier spots open up?
Thanks!
I just received my interview invite today! However, I'm slightly nervous because there were no interview openings until February 10th! Is this bad? Should I be concerned? And is there any way to move my interview up, or check and see if people cancel and earlier spots open up?
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I just received my interview invite today! However, I'm slightly nervous because there were no interview openings until February 10th! Is this bad? Should I be concerned? And is there any way to move my interview up, or check and see if people cancel and earlier spots open up?
Thanks!
When were you complete? I'm going on a month without a word.
When were you complete? I'm going on a month without a word.
I was complete 7/16 and didn't hear until 8/18 about an interview. Hang in there 🙂
When were you complete? I'm going on a month without a word.
I submitted my secondary last Wednesday, October 26. Went "under review" on Friday, October 28, interview invitation yesterday, November 2. I just can't believe there aren't any interview openings until February. Or did everyone have to wait 3 months after they were invited to interview? I thought I saw that somewhere, that you can't interview until 3 months after the day they invited you. Frustrating!
what were your stats?
I submitted my secondary last Wednesday, October 26. Went "under review" on Friday, October 28, interview invitation yesterday, November 2. I just can't believe there aren't any interview openings until February. Or did everyone have to wait 3 months after they were invited to interview? I thought I saw that somewhere, that you can't interview until 3 months after the day they invited you. Frustrating!
what were your stats?
what were your stats?
sGPA - 3.1
cGPA - 3.1
MCAT - 28N (10P-9V-9B-N)
But I've been a full time EMT working on an ambulance for a number of years before I applied.
My portal has shown "under review" for over 3 months now. When I spoke to a rep they said to be patient that the cycle isn't over until March. Its tough to be patient for that long, but what choice do we have? But then again, it's better than a rejection!
I think it is even more tough because people with recent invites are being scheduled to interview in February!! So if their cycle is over in March then if we don't hear about an interview by December I will be worried.🙁
Dearest LECOM - Please invite me for an interview, half of my family is from the beautiful state of small town PA 😀 But since there were no secondary essays it is really hard to explain my interest in a school and committment to an area.
Interview 10/21. Just got the acceptance letter yesterday! Probably one of the happiest days of my life! 😀 Haha. It took just a day short of two weeks from the interview for the letter to get to me and I'm down in Texas.
I'm sending my deposit in on Monday. I am looking for housing now because I want to have an idea of costs and whatnot. Anyone know where the PBL location is? I'm accepted as a PBL student, and I'd like to be near there, or between the two campuses. Anyone know anything?
I'm sending my deposit in on Monday.
congrats 👍
Interviewed 10/21, accepted yesterday.
Now I have a choice. Here or WVSOM? Humm... Decisions.
are you IS for WVSOM 😕
I'm sending my deposit in on Monday. I am looking for housing now because I want to have an idea of costs and whatnot. Anyone know where the PBL location is? I'm accepted as a PBL student, and I'd like to be near there, or between the two campuses. Anyone know anything?
PBL is offered at both the Erie and Seton Hill campus. Whichever campus you interviewed at is more than likely where you got accepted.
On that note, I withdrew my acceptance. good luck all.
I just interviewed Nov 4, and liked the school.. it was my first interview and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I think it went well. I left Erie with okay feelings about the school and area, but the more I research, the less it seems like students enjoy going here...which confuses me.
I spoke with a second year at the end of the tour, and he essentially told me "You'll get a good education, you'll get good board scores, but don't expect much else." When I asked why LECOM-E, he said "This is where I got in." Not what I was expecting nor wanted to hear... I realize this just may be a stressed out 2nd year who does not want to talk to me on a friday afternoon, but it is something that has really stuck with me. Again, I haven't been accepted, so maybe the choice will be made for me. I guess what I'm asking is, is this true? Is LECOM-E as bad as this student was saying it was? Thanks for the help!
I spoke with a second year at the end of the tour, and he essentially told me "You'll get a good education, you'll get good board scores, but don't expect much else." When I asked why LECOM-E, he said "This is where I got in." Not what I was expecting nor wanted to hear... I realize this just may be a stressed out 2nd year who does not want to talk to me on a friday afternoon, but it is something that has really stuck with me. Again, I haven't been accepted, so maybe the choice will be made for me. I guess what I'm asking is, is this true? Is LECOM-E as bad as this student was saying it was? Thanks for the help!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think for some of us beggars can't be choosers. I was accepted, and since I have only been waitlisted or rejected (w/o interview) I will take my acceptance. If I get off a waitlist I will go to one of the other schools, but I will go to Erie if it's the only place I get in... He could be in the same boat... he's being honest, and I feel the same as he probably does. I'm trying to remember that LECOM has a solid reputation in the medical world and that is important in getting a residency...
To those who have interviewed here: does everyone in the group answer every question asked? Just trying to get a feel for the flow of the group interview. Thanks!
if i remember correctly from when I interviewed in aug i think the PBL building is in downtown erie. not exactly sure of the specific location tho. It might be in the usb they handed out. you can ask the lecom admin. just go to their website and click on housing and it will give you a contact email that you can write to. I've been asking all my housing questions there and getting answers within a day or two.
To those who have interviewed here: does everyone in the group answer every question asked? Just trying to get a feel for the flow of the group interview. Thanks!
in my group we all answered the main questions they asked going around in a circle (why med, why do, something interesting about yourself). Then if someone said something real interesting about the medical world the interviewer asked how others felt about it and thats when some answered while others didn't and began to be more conversational then question/answer. obviously since there is only a short time to "impress" the interviewers say something smart and honest pertaining to the topic - don't just sit there quietly but also don't overtake the whole session.
hope this helps
its real chill and relaxing
p.s don't also agree to everything said if you disagree and have something to back it up with, do it, interviewers like to see you can intellectually speak your mind
Awesome. Thanks PerfectCoat!
...
I spoke with a second year at the end of the tour, and he essentially told me "You'll get a good education, you'll get good board scores, but don't expect much else."
You have to put in the work for boards. There is no promise of good board scores
When I asked why LECOM-E, he said "This is where I got in." Not what I was expecting nor wanted to hear... I realize this just may be a stressed out 2nd year who does not want to talk to me on a friday afternoon, but it is something that has really stuck with me. Again, I haven't been accepted, so maybe the choice will be made for me. I guess what I'm asking is, is this true? Is LECOM-E as bad as this student was saying it was? Thanks for the help!
That kind of depends on you. I'd imagine that LECOM is like the military. The rules are the rules and you will follow them and the school won't change them. If you can't deal with that, don't come here.
You are going to find many reasons for attending LECOM. Myself and others are here b/c the tuition was too "cheap" to pass up. Others are here b/c they are from nearby areas like Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburg, etc. Others are here b/c they didn't get in anywhere else. Honestly, who cares. Do you think that every school except LECOM has all their students there b/c it was there top choice? Of course not. Every school has students that go there b/c it was the only school they got into.
As for my opinion of LECOM. I don't like the school. The people I'm friends with don't like it (misery loves company?). I can't wait to get out of LECOM and never deal with them again.
Does LECOM rank you depending on grades, and that determines your interview date? Cus mine is in February, and I definitely feel like there are sooner dates available.
In any case, if anyone cancels their interview, do me a solid and PM me? I'll pay it forward some day. 🙂
In any case, if anyone cancels their interview, do me a solid and PM me? I'll pay it forward some day. 🙂
Hey guys, I just withdrew from my 12/9/11 interview. Hope one of you guys can nab it. Good luck everyone!
Hey guys, I just withdrew from my 12/9/11 interview. Hope one of you guys can nab it. Good luck everyone!
It's impossible to find someone to speak to about rescheduling an interview -- no one responds to their email!
I'm sending my deposit in on Monday. I am looking for housing now because I want to have an idea of costs and whatnot. Anyone know where the PBL location is? I'm accepted as a PBL student, and I'd like to be near there, or between the two campuses. Anyone know anything?
I can take a try at this. I'm not sure if you really want to live between Bayfront and the main campus as the housing near the main campus on Grandview is generally far more "pleasant" than the other areas of Erie. Many PBL students choose to live in the apts across from the main campus at Laurel Springs or Ridge or Maleno Development (Lakeview Apts). It's relatively easy access onto the freeway where you can get off on 12th and go straight to the Bayfront campus, easily doable. Another part of the motivation to live near the main campus would be that you have to come to lecture for all of anatomy/OPP/H&P which makes living in close proximity at least for first year, partly attractive. But if you insist on being closer to Bayfront, I'd suggest Lovell Place which is on 12th street as a good place to live in downtown Erie. Rent should be about 800 for a 2BR, about 400-500 for a single but you do have gated parking, high security, and a clean modern apt. Other options would probably be southshore apts or any housing near Gannon.
As for LECOM, (shrug), basically the previous posters have their own opinion and I'm not going to say that they are inaccurate. It's just what you expect and as a former post-bacc here, I've already grown accustomed to it so I was making an informed decision when I decided to stay despite interviewing at other campuses. It's very affordable as medical school goes and it also has many other practical things about it as well including a solid reputation in the area/solid education (30-40 points above the national avg for the NBME anatomy shelf this year/great match list for the 4th years this year/a decent city (yes I'm serious) if you consider the locations of many of the other DO schools. I think what alot of pre-meds also don't consider is the upside of attending a school that is widely respected in it's area. I can't speak for any other schools but at a few that I interviewed at, they were either eclipsed by the MD institutions or were barely identifiable by the public/local attendings. This is NOT so with Erie to say the very least. With rotations at AGH, Forbes, and UPMC Mercy in Pitt, rotations in Long Island, Eastern Ohio, Indiana, etc. there are many upsides for 3rd and 4th year too as well as flexibilty. Are there negatives? Sure, I can actually think of quite a few but for all practical concerns, LECOM has been great and I would recommend it to those who hold them also as a high priority.
I'm sending my deposit in on Monday. I am looking for housing now because I want to have an idea of costs and whatnot. Anyone know where the PBL location is? I'm accepted as a PBL student, and I'd like to be near there, or between the two campuses. Anyone know anything?
I live on W. 11th St. and I am only 2-3 minutes from the PBL campus and ~10 min from the main campus, inbetween the 2 campuses. The Landmark Square apartments are nice and pretty cheap - also between the 2 campuses. You can view them online. I bought a house and will be renting out a room for $300/month when I move to Pittsburgh for rotations. This includes rent, electric, cable, internet, water/garbage - Everything! Two 2nd yr ISP students would be living there as well...all female. If you would be interested, email me at [email protected]
Thanks to those of you who responded about housing. My conundrum is that I require pet-friendly housing, as I have two dogs. One is 50lbs, which is immediately a problem for many places I've seen listed as "pet friendly" because they limit the weight to 35lbs, and 1 pet... As for location, is bayfront sketchy? What are the bad areas to avoid? Its hard to tell what the crime rate is for the area, as it seems like a very urban city with no suburbs...
Thanks to those of you who responded about housing. My conundrum is that I require pet-friendly housing, as I have two dogs. One is 50lbs, which is immediately a problem for many places I've seen listed as "pet friendly" because they limit the weight to 35lbs, and 1 pet... As for location, is bayfront sketchy? What are the bad areas to avoid? Its hard to tell what the crime rate is for the area, as it seems like a very urban city with no suburbs...
Historically the "bad" side of Erie is the east side. Stay west of State street and you will be fine. Of course, anywhere in Millcreek is fine as well. Over all the crime rate is low. You need to be aware of the weather as well. The city streets are plowed a lot later than the main roads and the roads in Millcreek. Erie is on a sloping hill towards the lake. It's a heck of a lot easier to coast downhill in a blizzard (I lived by Millcreek Mall) than fighting an uphill battle from 12th street if you don't have 4 wheel drive. Something to consider. The school never closes cuz of weather and you are expected to make allowances to get there on time.
Historically the "bad" side of Erie is the east side. Stay west of State street and you will be fine. Of course, anywhere in Millcreek is fine as well. Over all the crime rate is low. You need to be aware of the weather as well. The city streets are plowed a lot later than the main roads and the roads in Millcreek. Erie is on a sloping hill towards the lake. It's a heck of a lot easier to coast downhill in a blizzard (I lived by Millcreek Mall) than fighting an uphill battle from 12th street if you don't have 4 wheel drive. Something to consider. The school never closes cuz of weather and you are expected to make allowances to get there on time.
Not a problem with the weather... I am from MN... Thanks for the info!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed 11-4, Accepted to LDP yesterday! I live in NY, but like 8 hours from Erie, so if you interviewed that day, I guess expect something in the mail soon.
I think for some of us beggars can't be choosers. I was accepted, and since I have only been waitlisted or rejected (w/o interview) I will take my acceptance. If I get off a waitlist I will go to one of the other schools, but I will go to Erie if it's the only place I get in... He could be in the same boat... he's being honest, and I feel the same as he probably does. I'm trying to remember that LECOM has a solid reputation in the medical world and that is important in getting a residency...
You don't seem too positive about LECOM. Why would you choose somewhere else?
I'm interviewing here in January...I am somewhat anxious to leave the South and LECOM could be my ticket out. What is the weather like throughout the year? From reading here I am assuming very cold + tons of snow.
Last edited:
You don't seem too positive about LECOM. Why would you choose somewhere else?
I'm interviewing here in January...I am somewhat anxious to leave the South and LECOM could be my ticket out. What is the weather like throughout the year? From reading here I am assuming very cold + tons of snow.
I was waitlisted at my other schools, maybe I'll get off the list, maybe not. I have an acceptance and I'm happy about it, but LECOM-E wasn't my top choice. This happens to people all over the country every year. Everything happens for a reason, so I'm not going to complain about an acceptance, especially one that comes in Oct.
As far as the weather, expect 100+" of snow, and temps ranging from -10 to 30 for highs in the winter. I was born and raised in MN, I can handle any winter any state in our country (Except AK) can dish out. Coming from the south, this may be a kick in the teeth for you... However, you'll get to experience seasons. It is beautiful in the spring, summer, fall, and Niagara Falls is only 90 minutes away...
SBB2016 -- where are you hoping to hear from?
Just trying to get a feel for which osteopathic schools have great reputations.
Just trying to get a feel for which osteopathic schools have great reputations.
SBB2016 -- where are you hoping to hear from?
Just trying to get a feel for which osteopathic schools have great reputations.
LECOM DOES have a great reputation. They have very high board scores, etc... It IS a good school, it just was not MY top choice (I really don't feel like living in Erie PA, and Seton Hill doesn't do much for me either). I am wait-listed at Bradenton (geographically better imho), and SOMA (I like SOMA's curriculum plan better than 100% PBL, and geographic location is better). I haven't heard a peep from either MWU, DMU, Western, VCOM, or Nova, and because I have an acceptance in hand, I didn't finish secondaries at the PCOM's, Touro-NV, Pikeville, or NYCOM. I could interview at LMU, but I don't really want to live in BFE Tennessee... I (in theory) could hear from some of the other schools later in the season, but the only one I'd really care about would be AZCOM... and distantly DMU because it is close to my family in MN...
LECOM has some big upsides, their tuition is super cheap, and in Erie, it is really cheap to live... however, I am having trouble finding pet-friendly places to live, where Phoenix and Sarasota BOTH are extremely pet-friendly and that wasn't an issue...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 226K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K