LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LECOM DOES have a great reputation. They have very high board scores, etc... It IS a good school, it just was not MY top choice (I really don't feel like living in Erie PA, and Seton Hill doesn't do much for me either). I am wait-listed at Bradenton (geographically better imho), and SOMA (I like SOMA's curriculum plan better than 100% PBL, and geographic location is better). I haven't heard a peep from either MWU, DMU, Western, VCOM, or Nova, and because I have an acceptance in hand, I didn't finish secondaries at the PCOM's, Touro-NV, Pikeville, or NYCOM. I could interview at LMU, but I don't really want to live in BFE Tennessee... I (in theory) could hear from some of the other schools later in the season, but the only one I'd really care about would be AZCOM... and distantly DMU because it is close to my family in MN...
LECOM has some big upsides, their tuition is super cheap, and in Erie, it is really cheap to live... however, I am having trouble finding pet-friendly places to live, where Phoenix and Sarasota BOTH are extremely pet-friendly and that wasn't an issue...

Thanks 🙂
 
Btw, there is a class thread in the Osteopathic Medical Student forum under class threads...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If any prospective or accepted students have questions on family life in Erie (ex: those with nervous husbands/wives/kids), feel free to message me.
 
Just arrived for my interview tomorrow, it's really cold and snowing. Stopped by the gym because I'm pretty sure it's not included in the tour/interview, which by the way, looks awesome and definitely a plus. Crossing fingers for a smooth interview tomorrow.
 
Just arrived for my interview tomorrow, it's really cold and snowing. Stopped by the gym because I'm pretty sure it's not included in the tour/interview, which by the way, looks awesome and definitely a plus. Crossing fingers for a smooth interview tomorrow.


See you tomorrow! Hope it doesn't snow anymore tonight.
 
I don't know if I should still submit my secondary here? I got a 23 MCAT, 3.59 cum. GPA and 3.33 science with a lot of volunteering, research, and clinical experience...did anyone with a low MCAT get accepted to LECOM-Erie this year? I wonder if they have a cut-off when giving interviews??
 
I don't know if I should still submit my secondary here? I got a 23 MCAT, 3.59 cum. GPA and 3.33 science with a lot of volunteering, research, and clinical experience...did anyone with a low MCAT get accepted to LECOM-Erie this year? I wonder if they have a cut-off when giving interviews??

I can't speak for this year, but in my year (class of 2014) there was more than one person with similar stats accepted, some accepted in February and March.... Of course I don't know all the specifics on this year, I would say its worth a shot if you have the money to spend and really want to go to LECOM.
 
I hope everyone's application season is going well 👍

I just withdrew my acceptance, so I hope someone makes good use of a spot at Seton Hill PBL.

GL all 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Turned down my acceptance here, PBL at Erie. Hopefully someone on here will get my spot!
 
I am really starting to get frustrated!!! My application has been under review for three months now. Is there anyone else with this problem or has had it? If so, what can I do to resolve it? I have emailed them several times to verify whether or not my application has slipped through the cracks, (I have heard of it happening), and there has been no response. Much thanks in advance!!!
 
" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Interviewed 11/18, fingers are crossed. Listed LDP as 1st choice but regretting not listing PBL as 1st.
 
" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Interviewed 11/18, fingers are crossed. Listed LDP as 1st choice but regretting not listing PBL as 1st.

Best of luck! I have heard it is easier to switch INTO PBL than into LDP...
 
I am really starting to get frustrated!!! My application has been under review for three months now. Is there anyone else with this problem or has had it? If so, what can I do to resolve it? I have emailed them several times to verify whether or not my application has slipped through the cracks, (I have heard of it happening), and there has been no response. Much thanks in advance!!!

I've been under review for longer than that. When I call they say to please be patient that the application season isn't over until March. Better than a rejection right?
 
My app is being reviewed...how many weeks does it generally take at LECOM for them to review the app and notify if you get an interview/rejected?

I would imagine they do at least 600 interviews because they accept more than 300 I believe?
 
I am really starting to get frustrated!!! My application has been under review for three months now. Is there anyone else with this problem or has had it? If so, what can I do to resolve it? I have emailed them several times to verify whether or not my application has slipped through the cracks, (I have heard of it happening), and there has been no response. Much thanks in advance!!!


I'm in the same situation. Yesterday I sent them a letter of interest...hopefully this will help.
 
I had an interview invite within days of submitting my secondary. If they haven't responded to emails, I can only assume you're 'on hold' like I am with almost everywhere... Maybe a LOI will help, but I really don't know... Sorry 🙁
 
I am interviewing here in January.

To anyone who has interviewed here already - what should I expect for the interview? I have heard there is only a group interview. I'm wondering how this works. Do they go around in a circle asking questions or how does it work?
 
I had an interview invite within days of submitting my secondary. If they haven't responded to emails, I can only assume you're 'on hold' like I am with almost everywhere... Maybe a LOI will help, but I really don't know... Sorry 🙁

Wow quick turn around! Mind if I ask your stats? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
umm... not spectacular...
3.18 s/cGPA, 26Q, and a heck of a lot of volunteer hours... oh, and a bunch of PB work with a 3.83 cGPA, and 3.91 sGPA

your PB work was probably the kicker that made it go so fast, even though the rest of your stuff isn't bad at all. you give me hope i just turned mine in on sunday 🙂 congrats on the II! 👍
 
your PB work was probably the kicker that made it go so fast, even though the rest of your stuff isn't bad at all. you give me hope i just turned mine in on sunday 🙂 congrats on the II! 👍

I've been rejected by more places than those that have interviewed me... But... I have an acceptance, so I'm not going to complain 😉 both state MD schools rejected outright, as well as KCUMB, ATSU-KCOM, and RVU.... Interviewed at ATSU-SOMA, and both LECOMs, plus an offer at LMU-DCOM, but I didn't go to that one because I had an offer from LECOM-Erie... Erie is better than BFE Tennessee... All the other places have me on hold... VCOM, Western, CCOM/AZCOM, DMU and Nova... didn't finish secondaries elsewhere because of the offer from LECOM...
 
I've been rejected by more places than those that have interviewed me... But... I have an acceptance, so I'm not going to complain 😉 both state MD schools rejected outright, as well as KCUMB, ATSU-KCOM, and RVU.... Interviewed at ATSU-SOMA, and both LECOMs, plus an offer at LMU-DCOM, but I didn't go to that one because I had an offer from LECOM-Erie... Erie is better than BFE Tennessee... All the other places have me on hold... VCOM, Western, CCOM/AZCOM, DMU and Nova... didn't finish secondaries elsewhere because of the offer from LECOM...

Hey you seem to be in good shape! And I agree, Erie > LMU-DCOM (I've visited Erie a lot). And Erie is a good place to get an interview, I know a lot of people that go here and it's definitely a really good education. Hope you like it 🙂
 
I've been rejected by more places than those that have interviewed me... But... I have an acceptance, so I'm not going to complain 😉 both state MD schools rejected outright, as well as KCUMB, ATSU-KCOM, and RVU.... Interviewed at ATSU-SOMA, and both LECOMs, plus an offer at LMU-DCOM, but I didn't go to that one because I had an offer from LECOM-Erie... Erie is better than BFE Tennessee... All the other places have me on hold... VCOM, Western, CCOM/AZCOM, DMU and Nova... didn't finish secondaries elsewhere because of the offer from LECOM...

If you don't mind me asking, did you get rejections post-interview at KCOM and RVU? Or, pre-interview? I am scheduled to interview at these two places in three weeks and I hope I will have memorable experiences.

How was SOMA interview? I am also interviewing there in January. Thanks!
 
" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Interviewed 11/18, fingers are crossed. Listed LDP as 1st choice but regretting not listing PBL as 1st.

I interviewed there on 11/18 as well, but I did not receive that notification message yet. Kinda worried. They said they would meet together on wednesday 11/23 to discuss whom to accept, yet you already had a decision 1 day prior.

I wonder why they haven't sent me a notification about my letter being in the mail within 30 days yet.

So anxious. I thought I did pretty well during the interview, but now I am having doubts.
 
Yes I remember the guy Jamie said that in the morning so I was a bit surprised seeing that. Still no letter in the mail though, so I'm still nervous.

And no I didn't think I did that well in the interview compared to two other people who kind of "dominated" the conversations early on. I gave pretty safe and concise answers and the two faculty just nodded so I rarely had to ramble/elaborate.
 
Last edited:
I am wondering about the best way to travel to LECOM. It looks like I will have to fly to Philly and then take a propeller plane (!) the rest of the way to Erie.

Do you need to rent a car when you're there? And is weather (snow) an issue in December/January?
 
Last edited:
I flew into Cleveland and drove the rest... You could also fly into Pitts or Buffalo and drive...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we submit LORs after an interview invite right? or do we submit it before interview invite?

I believe you submit the science letters when you receive an interview invite and submit the DO letter if and when you are accepted.

For those who have interviewed/been accepted, how long did it take to receive an II after being under review?
 
Mine were not very long... like a week...

Good to know. I almost had a heart attack in class when I got an email telling me I had a portal change. I looked and all it said was that my application is now under review :bang: got excited for no reason! hopefully i will hear soon then :xf:
 
I believe you submit the science letters when you receive an interview invite and submit the DO letter if and when you are accepted.

That used to be the way of it. Now I'm hearing that they will not consider your application further after the interview until you get that LoR in. It's still on the website as "when you're accepted", but people have been reporting that they've been told -at- the interview that nothing's gonna get decided until the DO letter is in.
 
Interview! 2/9

This is my first interview invitation. After all of that studying and applying, it is the first time a medical school has acknowledged me, and man it's exciting. Trying to play it cool, failing a little.

Hope you guys hear back soon!